Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trey Sermon Elevated - Jackson Waived ((MERGE)) Title Updated**

Smonroe

He’s on the PS.  His career has been riddled with injuries.

I remember the year he played for the Buckeyes, and he was outstanding.  Admittedly he had a great Oline, but he holds the all time single game rushing record for my alma.

When you consider the RBs that have played there, that’s pretty impressive.  

If he’s healthy, he’s better than Funk or Jackson.  Big IF.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He’s on the PS.  His career has been riddled with injuries.

I remember the year he played for the Buckeyes, and he was outstanding.  Admittedly he had a great Oline, but he holds the all time single game rushing record for my alma.

When you consider the RBs that have played there, that’s pretty impressive.  

If he’s healthy, he’s better than Funk or Jackson.  Big IF.  

I hope Sermon sticks.   He was a favorite of mine when he came out in 21.   I’ve been surprised he hasn’t had more success.   He’s been with two good franchises, SF and Philly.   Hoping now with Indy, the third time is the charm.    

And I know he could easily get cut tomorrow, or later this week or next week.  There’s a lot of roster churn going on right now.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-sign-g-arlington-hambright-to-the-53-man-roster-from-the-practice-squad-si

The Colts made the following moves on Tuesday:

Colts sign G Arlington Hambright to the 53-man roster from the practice squad;

Sign RB Trey Sermon to the practice squad;

Waive T Ryan Hayes

Hope Hayes get back to the p.s for us.

It’s not about money folks…..neither Hunt or Fournette would sign with the Colts to play backup to JT.

No true “name” veteran would sign not knowing what was going on with JT…..

Having said that, Sermon has some ability and I think he’s likely better than Funk, Jackson and Goodson (on the PS) and he runs angry from what I recall…..plus there is some comfort level with Steichen I’m sure since he spent last year in Philly

• Like 3

https://fox59.com/sports/colts/colts-release-deon-jackson-turn-to-trey-sermon/

Colts waive Deon Jackson, turn to Trey Sermon

...Sermon was a third-round pick of San Francisco in 2021 who has appeared in nine games with two starts with the 49ers and Philadelphia.

The Eagles claimed Sermon off waivers from San Francisco prior to the start of last season, and he appeared in two games for the Shane Steichen-directed offense.

“We always just want to add depth,’’ Steichen said of adding Sermon to the practice squad. “Chris (Ballard) and his staff do a great job of evaluating guys.’’ 

The 6-0, 215-pound Sermon started 15 of 46 games at Oklahoma and Ohio State, and rushed for 2,946 yards and 26 TDs...

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 1:26 AM, Scott Pennock said:

It’s not about money folks…..neither Hunt or Fournette would sign with the Colts to play backup to JT.

No true “name” veteran would sign not knowing what was going on with JT…..

Having said that, Sermon has some ability and I think he’s likely better than Funk, Jackson and Goodson (on the PS) and he runs angry from what I recall…..plus there is some comfort level with Steichen I’m sure since he spent last year in Philly

Not impressed  with sermon watched his rookie highlights and he got stuffed at the line alot

20 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard is not sitting still, he is cutting dead wood and finding other talent, this sends a message , produce or you will be cut

Agreed. I love this. Jackson was terrible in week 1, and you could see the difference between him and Moss in week 2. Deon needed to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts are becoming a no nonsense team and I love it. This would not of happened with Reich. Jackson would of got a bunch more chances.

Agreed. I love this. Cut the dead weight and try to improve when possible. RB is one of the few positions there may be better players in FA or on another teams practice squad.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not expecting  much from sermon but hopefully he can hang on to the ball

His biggest issue is staying healthy.  After setting the all time Ohio State single game rushing record with over 330 yards, he ran for nearly 200 yards against Clemson in the playoff game. 

Then got hurt at the start of the championship game against Bama.  I'm not sure if he ever came fully back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

https://fox59.com/sports/colts/colts-release-deon-jackson-turn-to-trey-sermon/

Colts waive Deon Jackson, turn to Trey Sermon

...Sermon was a third-round pick of San Francisco in 2021 who has appeared in nine games with two starts with the 49ers and Philadelphia.

The Eagles claimed Sermon off waivers from San Francisco prior to the start of last season, and he appeared in two games for the Shane Steichen-directed offense.

“We always just want to add depth,’’ Steichen said of adding Sermon to the practice squad. “Chris (Ballard) and his staff do a great job of evaluating guys.’’ 

The 6-0, 215-pound Sermon started 15 of 46 games at Oklahoma and Ohio State, and rushed for 2,946 yards and 26 TDs...

I been saying for years how bad Jackson is,,worst yards per carry in NFL 2021,second worst 2022 and currently last in 2023. Numbers dont tell all the story but they dont lie. Bad hands as we saw ,no blocking. Up until this year some defended him that stop this year when it became so obvious. Wish him well where ever he lands thinking XFL/USFL which is merging for 2024.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

I been saying for years how bad Jackson is,,worst yards per carry in NFL 2021,second worst 2022 and currently last in 2023. Numbers dont tell all the story but they dont lie. Bad hands as we saw ,no blocking. Up until this year some defended him that stop this year when it became so obvious. Wish him well where ever he lands thinking XFL/USFL which is merging for 2024.

Are you sure those 2 leagues are merging I've seen nothing 

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We put a lot of time into turning Deon into a productive player. Sort of a D-  for our GM and staff.

Seriously?  

An undrafted free agent who was never more than third string, otherwise a practice squad guy.   A RB who only played because Taylor is holding out and Moss broke his wrist.  

Otherwise….   :dunno:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We put a lot of time into turning Deon into a productive player. Sort of a D-  for our GM and staff.

This would be true if he was anything more than a fringe roster player who was an undrafted free agent.  You want to bash Ballard for draft picks or guys counting on to be full time starters that didn’t work out have at it.  Bashing him for a fringe roster player who was an undrafted free agent that was released after he made the roster for more than one year comes across as unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

• Thanks 1