Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[JT O'Sullivan] Anthony Richardson Week 1 vs Jacksonville Analysis (Merge)

stitches

40 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Sooooooo nice to hear "nice play design" and "thank for running this" and "awesome offensive architecture" for once when talking about the plays. 

Haven't heard that in forrreeeevvvver. 

Not only did we find our QB, but we found our coaching staff!! 

Makes you wonder if the problem last year wasn't the OL or the statue QB, but the OC and play calling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Makes you wonder if the problem last year wasn't the OL or the statue QB, but the OC and play calling.

Why does play design matter?  We apparently had great play design, and still lost rather convincingly. 

Therefore, we must have lost because of lack of talent to make plays....or maybe a lack of experience to make plays. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why does play design matter?  We apparently had great play design, and still lost rather convincingly. 

Therefore, we must have lost because of lack of talent to make plays....or maybe a lack of experience to make plays. 

True.

We got good play design.  Now have to improve personnel to run it well.

I'm beginning to think that Ballard's greatest victory in this offeseason is installing the triumvirate of Steichen, Cooter, Richardson.  Great start.  Now, add to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

True.

We got good play design.  Now have to improve personnel to run it well.

I'm beginning to think that Ballard's greatest victory in this offeseason is installing the triumvirate of Steichen, Cooter, Richardson.  Great start.  Now, add to it.

We need more talent and experience for sure.  And I like the coaching staff better.   IMO, a good play design is one where the receiver is good enough to get open, and the QB is good enough to get him the ball after being protected by good enough blocking.   

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We need more talent and experience for sure.  And I like the coaching staff better.   IMO, a good play design is one where the receiver is good enough to get open, and the QB is good enough to get him the ball after being protected by good enough blocking.   

I'm gonna disagree on this one.

I think it's possible to have fantastic play design but not have the personnel to run it well, and also to have great personnel, but terrible play design.  The best teams score high on both.  Superbowl teams have both.

But I hear what you're saying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm gonna disagree on this one.

I think it's possible to have fantastic play design but not have the personnel to run it well, and also to have great personnel, but terrible play design.  The best teams score high on both.  Superbowl teams have both.

But I hear what you're saying.

I agree.  I guess I just can't see where there is some new combinations of blocking and route running schemes that have not already been thought of for the number of decades football has been around.  Its always been the same 11 on 11.  I think its really about designing the right plays for the kind of talent you have, even player by player...speedy...shifty....or powerful...strong...physical .etc.  The talent has to match the scheme, and that's when it all comes together, IMO.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree.  I guess I just can't see where there is some new combinations of blocking and route running schemes that have not already been thought of for the number of decades football has been around.  Its always been the same 11 on 11.  I think its really about designing the right plays for the kind of talent you have, even player by player...speedy...shifty....or powerful...strong...physical .etc.  The talent has to match the scheme, and that's when it all comes together, IMO.

Agree, but calling the right play to overcome what the defense is giving you is also a big factor.  That's on the coach right now, but he's trying to teach the student QB to do that at the LOS. 

It takes time for all of this (design, talent, play calling) to come together.  We require being somewhat patient in this regard.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Then the Bears are glad they fleeced the Panthers then. They may have had an eye on that while making the trade. 

Yuuuuuup. If the Panthers feel great about Bryce then all is well. Bryce really struggled against Atlanta but we'll see where he's at when the season's done. 

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

I can't really disagree with the video evidence, but I'd like to point out something for context... Pittman actually played like 100%(edit: just checked - 97%) of the snaps this game. He had zero chance to catch his breath. Even the top of the top of receivers don't usually play over 90% of the snaps. They usually get a play here or there to rest and regroup for the next series. Just a few examples from this first gameweek - AJ Brown 91%, Stefon Diggs 84%, Mike Evans 84%, Devante Adams 90%, Tyreek Hill 66%, Waddle 64% etc... 

The problem is we cannot afford to let him rest because if he's not there it's like we are playing with no receivers at all... 

For running RPOs, if we can get Downs and Granson who seem to separate well and run routes well on the field together, we can definitely manage with throwing out of 2 WR/2 TE formations with Granson split out wide. So I am certain we can manufacture plays with heavy personnel to give Pittman the rest he needs. Now, if we can get our run blocking shored up, it will make it even better.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

I can't really disagree with the video evidence, but I'd like to point out something for context... Pittman actually played like 100%(edit: just checked - 97%) of the snaps this game. He had zero chance to catch his breath. Even the top of the top of receivers don't usually play over 90% of the snaps. They usually get a play here or there to rest and regroup for the next series. Just a few examples from this first gameweek - AJ Brown 91%, Stefon Diggs 84%, Mike Evans 84%, Devante Adams 90%, Tyreek Hill 66%, Waddle 64% etc... 

The problem is we cannot afford to let him rest because if he's not there it's like we are playing with no receivers at all... 

Pierce has been disappointing so far. Still time to turn it around let’s see if he does.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Getting our best offensive playmaker back on the field wouldn't hurt.

This breakdown can help differentiate between accuracy issues and timing issues. As Richardson gets more confident in what he's seeing, some of the throws behind receivers will get cleaned up. Then there are others where he's just missing, and that's mostly about mechanics and proper touch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Getting our best offensive playmaker back on the field wouldn't hurt.

I suppose so.  Overall, I think of play design and architecture as a way of talking about putting players into winnable assignments and then they go out and win their one on one matchups.  RBs tend to run through a hole after those assignments are executed.  At least that's how I think of it.

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

Richardson was solid week 1. 

Interesting play designs were called.

At 43:00 he really goes in on Pittman being lazy and giving poor effort on 2 plays in a row. 

He gave Pittman he...ck more than once for effort. Poor blocking from  Pierce that killed us. Oh Reggie!!!!

AR did a lot of the right stuff for his 1st game. Smart stuff. Optimistically, we could have a pretty interesting attack figured out for the last 1/3 of the season.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DougDew said:

I suppose so.  Overall, I think of play design and architecture as a way of talking about putting players into winnable assignments and then they go out and win their one on one matchups.  RBs tend to run through a hole after those assignments are executed.  At least that's how I think of it.

By the way, Doug, if you want to see a critique of poor play design, check out JT O'Sullivan's review of Justin Fields and the Bears.  He's just banging his head on the table, like, "Who drew this up?  Do they even run this in Junior Varsity?  NOBODY designs like this!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

By the way, Doug, if you want to see a critique of poor play design, check out JT O'Sullivan's review of Justin Fields and the Bears.  He's just banging his head on the table, like, "Who drew this up?  Do they even run this in Junior Varsity?  NOBODY designs like this!"

I took your suggestion, and yeah JT lights up the Bears O pretty badly.  One thing struck me though, a couple of times he mentioned how the play called was not good relative to how the defense was lined up.  Is he criticizing play design...or the QB not getting out of that play.  Because the play call comes into the huddle before the defense lines up, so any offensive play can look like a poor design if the defense happens to catch them with the right D.

Some of the criticism of play design and play calling seems like they expect the D to line up 30 seconds ahead of the O...commit...and then the O gets to call the play.

I remember last season there was a lot of criticism about Granson being forced to block Jeff Simmons from TEN.  I mean...I don't think that was the INTENT when the play came into the huddle.  It just happens that Simmons lined up in an unexpected way.  All players have to adjust their blocking assignments...figure out who to block...depending upon how the D lines up.  That's what Manning and Saturday did...and that's not an OC or play callers job.  Its too late then.

WR pattern combinations I can see being a bigger part of play design and architecture.

• Like 1

I watched it

The guy knows the game!

And.......   We have our QB of the future..... actually on this team

Its still early, but this team could be better than what I was thinking

The defense is already top 10

The offense needs some time to develop timing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 10:12 AM, coming on strong said:

if we can get taylor back and woods we will be okay .    next year we 100 percent need to replace fries and draft another wr

they were speaking on espn radio about the Vikings possibly thinking about trading Kirk.  If he’s traded and JJ becomes available, would you trade for him?

me personally, I’d trade the Vikings whatever they wanted and back up the brinks truck for his new contract. 

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I have never seen a OC with such bad play calling as the bears. Bears have no clue how to design a system around fields. He had a ton of straight drop backs. 

• Like 1