Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[JT O'Sullivan] Anthony Richardson Week 1 vs Jacksonville Analysis (Merge)

stitches

Good review!

was watching another video where the reviewer was saying we did indeed had a couple deep shots open but due to how AR is being coached he can understand why we didn’t take him.  Said that AR is being told Read 1, Read 2, tuck and run.  Hopefully we see the reigns come off a little bit against the Texans.

• Like 4

On 9/14/2023 at 10:35 AM, DougDew said:

I agree.  I guess I just can't see where there is some new combinations of blocking and route running schemes that have not already been thought of for the number of decades football has been around.  Its always been the same 11 on 11.  I think its really about designing the right plays for the kind of talent you have, even player by player...speedy...shifty....or powerful...strong...physical .etc.  The talent has to match the scheme, and that's when it all comes together, IMO.

I'm doubting you watched this and got the message.

We had plenty of plays with such as poor spacing by receivers, poorly ran routes, lack of effort, missed blocks, AR having some impressive reads and throws, him throwing too quickly, waiting to long. 

Sure, teams run much the same stuff, but defenses are faster to gobble up space so there are tighter windows.

Great timing is critical with AR developing trust with his receivers to get to a spot. Our group is just getting started. And there were a number of our guys that need their buttons chewed.

• NFLfan changed the title to [JT O'Sullivan] Anthony Richardson Week 1 vs Jacksonville Analysis (Merge)
3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

That brings up a question. The Bears have killed young QBs for years now. If Williams goes to the Bears, will that end his career early like so many others?

That's a legit concern. Caleb Williams dad has broached the topic of being picky about which situation he goes to in the NFL just like the Mannings did for Eli so yeah they might not even get him if they pick 1st. For one week, they looked worse than Arizona who were supposed to be tanking.

BTW, i gave Ballard some crap for not taking Fields...if AR turns out to have been the far better play, i'm going to need to eat my hat

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

That's a legit concern. Caleb Williams dad has broached the topic of being picky about which situation he goes to in the NFL just like the Mannings did for Eli so yeah they might not even get him if they pick 1st. For one week, they looked worse than Arizona who were supposed to be tanking.

BTW, i gave Ballard some crap for not taking Fields...if AR turns out to have been the far better play, i'm going to need to eat my hat

If I was Williams I'd refuse to play for the Bears. Such a bad QB situation and it has been for SO long.

I honestly think judging Fields is difficult because the Bears offense is laughably bad all the way from play design to execution. That said I'm really happy with AR so far.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:24 AM, stitches said:

I can't really disagree with the video evidence, but I'd like to point out something for context... Pittman actually played like 100%(edit: just checked - 97%) of the snaps this game. He had zero chance to catch his breath. Even the top of the top of receivers don't usually play over 90% of the snaps. They usually get a play here or there to rest and regroup for the next series. Just a few examples from this first gameweek - AJ Brown 91%, Stefon Diggs 84%, Mike Evans 84%, Devante Adams 90%, Tyreek Hill 66%, Waddle 64% etc... 

The problem is we cannot afford to let him rest because if he's not there it's like we are playing with no receivers at all... 

Pittman shouldn't have been gassed on the interception play. It's the second play of the possession, and the Jags had just scored a TD after a 5+ minute possession. I'm not sure that was an effort problem, he just might not have gotten the proper depth on his route, or maybe Granson overran his mark... 

But the plays at the end, yeah, he's running on fumes by then. We were in hurry-up and had just run 10-11 pass plays in about 2 minutes, and there were only a couple of incompletions. That's a lot of work, with no stops, and no real opportunity to sub. And this is at the end of the game when he's already close to 70 snaps. They probably need to manage his workload more effectively. I still don't get why McKenzie only got 1 offensive snap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:54 AM, DougDew said:

Why does play design matter?  We apparently had great play design, and still lost rather convincingly. 

Therefore, we must have lost because of lack of talent to make plays....or maybe a lack of experience to make plays. 

I disagree but respect your opinion. I thought we lost from rookie QB  who played his butt off but he did miss on some plays. We had a rookie coach which I think could've made better decisions taking points available instead of going for it. It happens, part of growing pains. This team will get better and going to surprise some. IMO Probably surprise me more than others. Lets get the W against Texans..😁

• Like 1