Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Next Pick Part 2 -- "The First Step"

Superman

One big theme here that has me higher on AR than I was is this work thing. He stated many times that he’s gonna out work people. He wants to be legendary so if his work ethic is as high as his dreams, look out league:

I also noticed the many comments about not drafting for the now. They talked about 3-5 years out. Again. This signals to me that they’re in on AR for the long haul. For better or worse. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As far as AR, it appears that it was Ballard's pick.  Of course he's the GM, and he receives input from everybody, but the video does not speak to Steichen or Irsay talking much about the QB.  The video at least seems edited to emphasize it was Ballard's selection...and not pounded by the HC or demanded by the owner.  Irsay's role here is to be the happy-boss welcoming AR to the Family. 

Just mentioning it for those of you who think that picking the QB is done by someone else other than Ballard. 

• Like 1

That was…..    GREAT!!  

G-R-E-A-T!    great!   Great!!    GREAT!!!!

But honestly, I hope the Colts are picking close to this high again next year.  Because next years draft — at least the top-10 — looks rare and special.   And I’d like to have some of that!!   

Colts thrive in 25!! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was…..    GREAT!!  

But honestly, I hope the Colts are picking close to this high again next year.  Because next years draft — at least the top-10 — looks rare and special.   And I’d like to have some of that!!   

Colts thrive in 25!! 

Marvin PLZ :goodluck:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was…..    GREAT!!  

Colts thrive in 25!! 

Sorry to disappoint you but I have a feeling they will compete for the division title.....this year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As far as AR, it appears that it was Ballard's pick.  Of course he's the GM, and he receives input from everybody, but the video does not speak to Steichen or Irsay talking much about the QB.  The video at least seems edited to emphasize it was Ballard's selection...and not pounded by the HC or demanded by the owner.  Irsay's role here is to be the happy-boss welcoming AR to the Family. 

Just mentioning it for those of you who think that picking the QB is done by someone else other than Ballard. 

Editing.   That’s all.   

Remember, the night of the draft Ballard said Steichen went crazy for Richardson the first time he looked at the tape, and that was the first week he had the job in Mid-Feb.    Ballard also pointed to Morocco Brown who started calling and texting Ballard from the Florida Gators practices way back in August.   Brown was saying he thought he had found something rare and special way back then.   Dodds said he spent about 4 hours with AR just on one phone call.   

Ballard values his scouting team.  It’s a collaborative effort.   Always has been.  And yes, Irsay gets his two cents, but he’s always been deferential in the drafting process.  

I think saying AR was Ballard’s pick misses the point of these videos plus all the other videos that the team posts on this website.   It’s about all of them, not just one guy.   Is Ballard number one?   Without question.  But everyone plays an important part. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Sorry to disappoint you but I have a feeling they will compete for the division title.....this year.

If the Colts are competing for a division title this year, I will NOT be disappointed.  I just don’t see that happening.   But I hope I’m wrong.   Going from near worst to near first (in the division) would be pretty sweet! 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the Colts are competing for a division title this year, I will NOT be disappointed.  I just don’t see that happening.   But I hope I’m wrong.   Going from near worst to near first (in the division) would be pretty sweet! 

To be honest I don't think it's a massive leap to challenge for the division next season, Jags won it with a 9-8 and if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot numerous times last year we'd have had several more wins. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Editing.   That’s all.   

Remember, the night of the draft Ballard said Steichen went crazy for Richardson the first time he looked at the tape, and that was the first week he had the job in Mid-Feb.    Ballard also pointed to Morocco Brown who started calling and texting Ballard from the Florida Gators practices way back in August.   Brown was saying he thought he had found something rare and special way back then.   Dodds said he spent about 4 hours with AR just on one phone call.   

Ballard values his scouting team.  It’s a collaborative effort.   Always has been.  And yes, Irsay gets his two cents, but he’s always been deferential in the drafting process.  

I think saying AR was Ballard’s pick misses the point of these videos plus all the other videos that the team posts on this website.   It’s about all of them, not just one guy.   Is Ballard number one?   Without question.  But everyone plays an important part. 

Sure.  90% Ballard and 10% everybody else is collaborative.   Ballard mentions how much the other guys like AR, not how much their opinion influenced the pick.  I guess some can think 51% Ballard 49% everybody else if they want.

Just want to be sure that when AR busts (not saying he will) that we don't start start talking about how much Steichen, Brown, or Irsay liked him.  The editing of the video suggests it was Ballard leading the charge.

BTW, I didn't like at all what Brown said about AR on that video.  Talked about him in terms of cartoon characters...cape...super hero?  Huh?  Talked about ARs arms and legs.  A sign of the times, how more modern NFL executives think about QBs.  LOL.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

To be honest I don't think it's a massive leap to challenge for the division next season, Jags won it with a 9-8 and if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot numerous times last year we'd have had several more wins. 

I think the Jags did not have a great draft, but they should get better next year.   Lots of good young talent that should get better, maybe much better.   And that’s especially true for Lawrence.  He’s not close to being done improving.   

17 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Agreed 9-8 won it last and now the Jags face a 1st place schedule.  Houston is nothing special.  I actually like our roster better than the Titans and Texans with a healthy JT and Leonard. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the Jags did not have a great draft, but they should get better next year.   Lots of good young talent that should get better, maybe much better.   And that’s especially true for Lawrence.  He’s not close to being done improving.   

Yeah I hear what your saying. Then again the Jags seem to have had good young talent for years now and never make consistent strides forward. I think Lawrence is really good but I don't think they're gonna become the Bills or Chiefs next year suddenly. I think we can still compete in the division.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sure.  90% Ballard and 10% everybody else is collaborative.   Ballard mentions how much the other guys like AR, not how much their opinion influenced the pick.  I guess some can think 51% Ballard 49% everybody else if they want.

Just want to be sure that when AR busts (not saying he will) that we don't start start talking about how much really Steichen, Brown, or Irsay liking him.

BTW, I didn't like at all what Brown said about AR on that video.  Talked about him in terms of cartoon characters...cape...super hero?  Huh?  Talked about ARs arms and legs.  A sign of the times, how more modern NFL executives think about QBs.  LOL.  

Your response is a complete mystery to me.    Not sure there’s a word you wrote that I agree with? 

So I’ll try to make a different argument….

Do you really think Anthony Richardson would be a Colt today if Shane Steichen didn’t want him?   If Morocco Brown didn’t want him?   If Ed Dodds didn’t want him?   You think Ballard would’ve over-ruled those guys?   I sure don’t.   But if Ballard’s team thought he was making a terrible mistake, I don’t think he would’ve ignored them.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agreed 9-8 won it last and now the Jags face a 1st place schedule.  Houston is nothing special.  I actually like our roster better than the Titans and Texans with a healthy JT and Leonard. 

I won't make a prediction until we go through camp and pre-season is over. I want to see how AR looks, if Taylor and Leanord are healthy, and what kind of vibe the locker room is giving off. If we are completely healthy, the team looks up beat, and AR looks good in pre-season, it is not crazy to say we can't go 9-8. Taylor is an MVP type caliber player. A lot of If's though! Titans and Texans both aren't that good, Jax is the team to beat regarding the division, but they have a tough schedule. It will be interesting to see if Lawrence gets better, he played great last season over the last half of the season and they still only finished 9-8. I can see them winning 9 or 10 games but it is the Jags chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Yeah I hear what your saying. Then again the Jags seem to have had good young talent for years now and never make consistent strides forward. I think Lawrence is really good but I don't think they're gonna become the Bills or Chiefs next year suddenly. I think we can still compete in the division.

I think the Jags are probably for real. They obviously have a QB, finally. They have a proven HC who has won over the team, and he has a strong staff. Their GM has built a SB contender before, primarily by drafting a bunch of really good players; this is his fourth season in their front office, and they seem to be locked in.

Whether they keep it going in the right direction, no one knows. But I don't think it's the same old Jags anymore. And that's good. I want our division to be strong, no more cruising through the regular season and getting a distorted sense of how good our team is because the rest of the division is in shambles. If the division is good, then being able to win the division will basically equate to being able to compete with the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your response is a complete mystery to me.    Not sure there’s a word you wrote that I agree with? 

Do you really think Anthony Richardson would be a Colt today if Shane Steichen didn’t want him?   If Morocco Brown didn’t want him?   If Ed Dodds didn’t want him?   You think Ballard would’ve over-ruled those guys?   I sure don’t.   But if Ballard’s team thought he was making a terrible mistake, I don’t think he would’ve ignored them.  

Arguing with him is useless but have at it haha 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's just sharpening his arrows to shoot them at Ballard and anyone who believes the Rivers/Wentz/Ryan decisions were influenced by Reich and Irsay. If we can isolate Ballard as the party responsible for picking Richardson, then "when AR busts" the blame can be laid solely at Ballard's feet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was…..    GREAT!!  

Colts thrive in 25!! 

I am so very familiar with your thinking and how rare it is that you might think for a moment not to want to win win win.

You know I am with you wanting to add the kind of Special talent found at the top of the draft, and the better opportunities drafting at the front of the round.

We look a mile away from being a 12-13 win team. A real contender.

I am feeling stoked about our 1st 4 picks. And good about ALL of our young prospects.

Once Steichen "told them what he was looking for" Richardson just needed vetted. He was the obvious choice, and after they worked him out, and got to know him he was the guy.

To repeat, Steichen would have told them what he would "like" to run during the interview process. And Irsay slipped it at Steichen's hiring press conference. The 12th man.

And we got him. Awesome!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would you dare argue your point with Buckner, Q, or Leonard?

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

I am so very familiar with your thinking and how rare it is that you might think for a moment not to want to win win win.

You know I am with you wanting to add the kind of Special talent found at the top of the draft, and the better opportunities drafting at the front of the round.

I am feeling stoked about our 1st 4 picks. And good about ALL of our young prospects.

I thought we had a hell of a draft this year, of course only time will tell. If AR can be a Cam Newton type that will win a lot of games, and just keep building the defense from there. Taylor is only 24 years old so we can get at least 3 more great years out of him too.

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Would you dare argue your point with Buckner, Q, or Leonard?

I wouldn’t argue any point with them.   They’re players, I’m just a fan.   There’s no upside.   Their mentality is not my mentality.     Every year for them is much more important to them than it is to me.   It’s their career, their livelihood.   For me, it’s just one year out of what may be several decades of fandom. 

Besides, as I said to you, previously,  I’ll be happy if the Colts exceed expectations.   I’m just not expecting it.   And I’d add that if the team does poorly, there should at least be a terrific consolation prize a year from now, something a team doesn’t get every year.  

Aside from 2-3 great QBs, there’s a generational WR,  there are two terrific legit LT’s, and a couple of very good edge rushers and I believe a very good DT as well.    It’s possible there might be 8-10 players next year who would’ve been drafted ahead of the top-10 players in this years draft.   That doesn’t happen every year.    But that’s not an argument I’d ever make to a player.   They’re not wired that way.   

41 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Once Steichen "told them what he was looking for" Richardson just needed vetted. He was the obvious choice, and after they worked him out, and got to know him he was the guy.

To repeat, Steichen would have told them what he would "like" to run during the interview process. And Irsay slipped it at Steichen's hiring press conference. The 12th man.

And we got him. Awesome!

I appreciate the sentiment….

For better and sometimes worse, I’ve always been a Big Picture guy, a long term guy.   If the Colts are surprisingly good, I’ll be very happy.   I love being competitive.   The sooner the better. 

But if the Colts are a 6-7 win team, which is my hunch,  then, as a fan, I can look forward to an exceptional consolation prize.   The kind that doesn’t come along every year.   That’s my view as a fan.   I’ll find the Silver Lining.   But I wouldn’t ever try to sell this to a player, which another poster asked if I’d do. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He's just sharpening his arrows to shoot them at Ballard and anyone who believes the Rivers/Wentz/Ryan decisions were influenced by Reich and Irsay. If we can isolate Ballard as the party responsible for picking Richardson, then "when AR busts" the blame can be laid solely at Ballard's feet.

but frank was responsible for all those QB hires...cause with rivers ..there was an article saying that Brady wanted to join the Colts after leaving NE but frank Chose Rivers over him...then in another interview Ballard stated that he would have traded up to get Fields but frank wanted wentz so in a way Ballard is kinda at fault for trying to please the HC instead of doing things his way

10 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

but frank was responsible for all those QB hires...cause with rivers ..there was an article saying that Brady wanted to join the Colts after leaving NE but frank Chose Rivers over him...then in another interview Ballard stated that he would have traded up to get Fields but frank wanted wentz so in a way Ballard is kinda at fault for trying to please the HC instead of doing things his way

Who do you think Irsay holds most responsible? He was in the room for these conversations, and his input was also influential. He fired Reich, but kept Ballard, and now they drafted a QB in the first round.

I do not think Ballard is without blame for the way the QB situation has played out, nor do I think we need to try to identify exactly who to blame for every personnel decision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know. The game looked like it finally slowed down for Lawrence last year, so they have quite a significant jump on us in large part to that.

But I do like that Cooter had a hand in Lawrence's development last year. I think he gets lost in the shuffle a little bit in AR's potential development this season. It won't be just Steichen. And of course, AR will have an actual QB coach on staff to help him too.

I think AR ended up in the best possible situation for his development.

• Like 7

I watched this today at lunch break. Excellent watch. I too liked the fact that Ballard told the camera man to turn it off. Gawd if I could be a fly on the wall in those moments.

But I don’t think there’s any doubt this was the guy we wanted overall, and Ballard read his competitor GMs correctly. He’s made his mistakes, and I’m sure he’s had guys sniped from him a pick or two before. But I gotta give him credit when he deserves it. At the most important position (maybe his most important pick of his career to date?), he got his guy without having to sacrifice collateral picks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

From what I’ve heard, Steichen very much liked AR as he fits the Jalen Hurts style offense perfectly. 

• Like 1