Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Next Pick Part 2 -- "The First Step"

Superman

On 5/5/2023 at 6:58 AM, coltsfeva said:

When you think about the games last year, we could have won 4 or 5 more (Washington, Minnesota, Philadelphia, both Texan’s games). 
  In hindsight, it’s good we didn’t. That being said, a double-digit win season (playing the AFC South and NFC South), is entirely possible. 
  One of my favorite visuals from the show was Richardson doing a flip on his pro day. I couldn’t help but think that I’d never see Peyton do that!

That flip blew me away too!  What was his freaking vertical on pro day anyone know?  It was like he jumped 5 feet off the ground when he did that flip lol. He has got to be one of, if not the most athletic qb to ever play the game. Will that make him a great qb we will see.  If he can slow the game down and process the info and get better accuracy watch out!!!  He’s going to be something special. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say about the specific individuals.

Over the years, I've read, "pounded fists for"..."collaborated"....    A lot of people interpret that wrong.

No, the situation has never been weighted towards someone else driving the pick, but Ballard being "responsible" for the pick because he's the GM. 

No, it's not that "the buck stops with him" because he's the GM. 

He alone decides who the pick is.  (Unless Irsay steps in)

Its a concept that doesn't need a complicated speech, and that's what the video clearly shows..

If people knew how decisions are made in a big business from a perch near the top, what the Colts are doing is common.  The top dog makes the important decisions with information provided to him by the subordinates.  Getting the correct information to the decision maker the way he wants it is what is collaborative. 

Making the decision is not.

Sure, each of the information guys might have their favorites and may skew their presentation towards that.  If Ballard is doing his job, and I think he does, he's well aware of their biases but he doesn't pay attention to it right now.  He goes with what he thinks is the correct pick at the time.

Right, because you say so. We'll just throw out all the nuance and obvious information we've received directly from the Colts over the years, because if it's black and white in your mind, then there's nothing else to it.

If the draft decisions are based on the board, and they structure their draft board ahead of time, and the board is based on the information, and the information in collaborative, then isn't the decision the result of collaboration? 

And that's just draft decisions. Higher level strategic decisions -- like whether to sign or trade for a veteran QB, vs targeting someone in the draft -- are also collaborative, just between different people. 

• Thanks 2