Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select WR Josh Downs

danlhart87

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

4.4 guy, that’s speed.

4.4is good but watching the tape I would think his strength is his route running snd toughness, which is what we need. We r going to go hard for guards and need some more corners and would love to get a top end wr. Just run in a straight line lol.

5 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Man, I’m drinking the cool aid. Maybe we’ve just been O deprived for so long, but I am digging the direction they appear to be headed. This offense has a chance to be explosive. 

If (I know, big if) the O line can get it together, the TEs continue to develop, and the slots are as good as we hope, it could be a great offense with AR5.

Maybe not for a while, but we’re in it for the long haul.  

4 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

On Saturday the Colts have :

Two high 4th round pick-the 4th and 8th picks

4 total 5th round picks - 2 of those are high picks the 4th and 7th

2 7th round selection.

plenty of picks to move up if need be.

Ballard did good here.

Go Colts.

Yes he was patient in the second round and added picks and a corner who can push to start day one.

He then got a steal in the third round.

I know they need a guard and some depth at OT, linebacker, and maybe corner and safety but that can all be found in the rounds to come.  I’d also not rule out a depth DT as well.

Still their biggest needs going into the draft was a QB and CB.  He’s addressed both and added a guy to replace their lost slot WR.  These guy have to produce on the field but Ballard is doing well addressing needs.

Just now, Smonroe said:

If (I know, big if) the O line can get it together, the TEs continue to develop, and the slots are as good as we hope, it could be a great offense with AR5.

Maybe not for a while, but we’re in it for the long haul.  

There will be growing pains for sure. But I also think it will also be drastically different & better than what we’ve seen the past couple of seasons.

31 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

RSP Scouting projects him as a Hunter Renfrow comp/ comparison with excellent short area explosion and technique

Sounds like he’s a route runner which is something this team really hasn’t had in a long time.  Maybe since Marv and reg really.

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He’s a slot and doesn’t have TYs speed.  Different type of guy from what I read.

smaller than TY too. 

Looks like they he's here to do what Hines was supposed to be able to do in the slot.

Similar stature.  Downs much more refined in all aspects though. 

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

smaller than TY too. 

Looks like they he's here to do what Hines was supposed to be able to do in the slot.

Similar stature.  Downs much more refined in all aspects though. 

We’ve really needed a great route runner for some time.  He could be it.

34 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes he was patient in the second round and added picks and a corner who can push to start day one.

He then got a steal in the third round.

I know they need a guard and some depth at OT, linebacker, and maybe corner and safety but that can all be found in the rounds to come.  I’d also not rule out a depth DT as well.

Still their biggest needs going into the draft was a QB and CB.  He’s addressed both and added a guy to replace their lost slot WR.  These guy have to produce on the field but Ballard is doing well addressing needs.

I think Downs is also there to possibly replace Pittman. They still need a burner

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Downs is also there to possibly replace Pittman. They still need a burner

Marv Jr. can replace MPJ next year. haha
Seriously though, Pittman is the big possession guy, Alec is the big play guy, and Josh is the clean route running slot guy. I think they all play together.

I like this pick a lot. We have our true slot receiver now IMO. A guy who could beat out McKenzie, and should be a solid contributor for Richardson at QB. Good at everything, can run routes and catch the ball. Very fortunate he fell to us in the 3rd. Love it!

19 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Marv Jr. can replace MPJ next year. haha
Seriously though, Pittman is the big possession guy, Alec is the big play guy, and Josh is the clean route running slot guy. I think they all play together.

This offence needs a vertical burner. U have Downs and the tight ends. Pierce is pretty fast and great at 5o 50 balls.?However, still need a burner who teams need to respect. Can't stack the box.

It's wildy unfair to put this kind of expection on him and I doubt he ever gets to this point...but he reminds me so much of Marv. Those routes are pure as hell and he is so much better than you would expect because of his routes and his hands. I think there is so much value in giving a new QB a guy who is jist reliable as hell. 

41 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This offence needs a vertical burner. U have Downs and the tight ends. Pierce is pretty fast and great at 5o 50 balls.?However, still need a burner who teams need to respect. Can't stack the box.

I like Tyler Scott from cindy but I don't know if we'll draft 2 WR.

He can get deep

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Sounds like he’s a route runner which is something this team really hasn’t had in a long time.  Maybe since Marv and reg really.

He’s got a 98.3 percent win rate in contested catches too, that’s incredible hands

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

My WR1 in this draft. I still can't believe we got him....

The more I read the more I like 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Watched a little tape. The kid can get over the top, but he's most dangerous in space. He's very shifty, excellent hands (great diving catches), and understands how to get open with his routes. 

All things we’ve not had in a very long time

14 minutes ago, Hark said:

Was really hoping to get one of Flowers, Hyatt or Downs, but didn’t see any of them getting past round 2. This is an absolute steal.

Hyatt is like what we have already in Alec so I like this different flavor or WR , 

Just watched highlight vid on Josh Downs.

Electric.  More quick than fast.  Plays tiny.  Every time he gets hit, I expect him to leave pieces behind.  Amazing hands.  Catches EVERYTHING.  Makes me think he'll have a similar career path to TY Hilton.  He's drafted specifically to be a slot, and then winds up the best receiver on the team.

Speaking of TY, is this karma or what?

1st round - Andrew Luck, QB

3rd round - TY Hilton, WR

1st round - Anthony Richardson, QB

3rd round - Joshua Downs, WR

6 minutes ago, Creekside said:

Am I reading this right : PFF has him rank 30th over all (bottom of the 1st round?)

That's his rank in the nation for the year for the position per their grading system. On their draft board he was no. 38 for the draft... still very high... high-second range. 

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Very good value in the 3d... he's small but incredibly tough at the catch point. He had some insanely high contested catch %(I think it was over 70%)... I wouldn't call him a burner but he has good quickness and speed. Replacement for Campbell in the slot... 

A receiver with Elite speed...Yet not as fast as the Quarter Back ?   WHAT? !      :woah: 

Archived