Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select WR Josh Downs

danlhart87

On 5/6/2023 at 6:44 PM, Solid84 said:

I like Downs a lot - he'll be great for us.

On a side note, I don't think we would've drafted him if Wayne and one of our Scouts hadn't pounded the table for him. He had a great RAS of 8.99, but he's only 5'9" 171lbs. That's not Ballard's profile for a WR.

Well it seems Ballard doesn't have a profile for a WR. 

Just saying. 

On 5/9/2023 at 12:07 PM, CR91 said:

Speed especially at WR wasn't as required as it is today. The game is a lot faster so your players have to match. Being undersized, you need to have something to make yourself stick out. Size gets you in the door. Talent keeps you inside.

Cooper Kupp ran a 4.6 too.

Top end speed is overrated IMO. 

I rather have a precise route runner that has great quickness and acceleration who can find the gaps in the defense. That is going to give you more consistent production and moves the chains. 

EDIT:  To be clear, I am not saying it's not a good trait to have. I just don't think it's the defining factor in creating a great player. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Cooper Kupp is 6 2. He's not that size.

Jerry Rice was also 6'2". Your statement about Rice was what I was talking about. You implied receivers today needed to be faster. So, I just gave you an example of a guy who is very similar to Jerry who excels today.

I am very confused by your post. Do you have to be over 6 feet to be a good receiver? I dont think so.

23 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I rather have a precise route runner that has great quickness and acceleration who can find the gaps in the defense. That is going to give you more consistent production and moves the chains. 

EDIT:  To be clear, I am not saying it's not a good trait to have. I just don't think it's the defining factor in creating a great player. 

We are talking about tenths of a second here. That can be made up in a variety of ways.

I love the way Josh runs routes with his entire body, which is why I think Reggie likes him so much.

And can we please stop acting like hes slow? He ran sub 4.5. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

We are talking about tenths of a second here. That can be made up in a variety of ways.

I love the way Josh runs routes with his entire body, which is why I think Reggie likes him so much.

And can we please stop acting like hes slow? He ran sub 4.5. 

Agree. He's plenty fast. Downs had one of the quickest short yard bursts at the combine. I think that will jump out most, hit him on a slant and he's going to push through quickly. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Jerry Rice was also 6'2". Your statement about Rice was what I was talking about. You implied receivers today needed to be faster. So, I just gave you an example of a guy who is very similar to Jerry who excels today.

I am very confused by your post. Do you have to be over 6 feet to be a good receiver? I dont think so.

That was not my point at all. I was referencing speed for smaller wrs. 

3 hours ago, cjrulli said:

I agree completely!

Downs had the 20th fastest 40 yard dash at the combine, but the 5th fastest 10 yard split. He may not have top end speed, but he's quick!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Interesting view. What leads you to that assumption, if you don’t mind me asking?

Ballards has only drafted 8 wrs since he has been with Indy. Yes they have averaged over 6 ft. But the success rate hasn't been great.  Out of the 8 he has drafted only half is on the roster and 2 were drafted over the last 2 drafts. 

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The 4 WRs who have been the most successful are Pittman, Pierce, Campbell and Downs.   They were drafted in rounds 2, 2, 2, and 3.

The four WRs who did not or have not panned out yet are….  Strachan,  Patman,  Fountain and Cain.   They were drafted in Rounds 7, 6, 5 and 6. 

What jumps off the page over this information?     

Note:  Sorry CC, was not trying to respond to you specifically here.   The website inserted your name from a previous post.  

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballards has only drafted 8 wrs since he has been with Indy. Yes they have averaged over 6 ft. But the success rate hasn't been great.  Out of the 8 he has drafted only half is on the roster and 2 were drafted over the last 2 drafts. 

Thanks for the response. I guess I personally don’t correlate success rate with player profiles. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The 4 WRs who have been the most successful are Pittman, Pierce, Campbell and Downs.   They were drafted in rounds 2, 2, 2, and 3.  

How can Downs be one of the most successful in the NFL? He hasn't played a snap yet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pkbrux said:

How can Downs be one of the most successful in the NFL? He hasn't played a snap yet. 

Sorry….   Mis-stated by me….   The three who have been successful and the one new one with high expectations were drafted 2, 2, 2, and now 3. 

Good catch.  Thanks for the correction. :hat:

Solid pick.  You needed a long term slot and this is the guy.

McKenzie is only signed for 1 year which is why I think Ballard made the move.  I predict some type of platoon between McKenzie and Downs this season.  And then ease Downs into a full time role later in the season.

Love that he came from Georgia as there are alot of great football players that come from that state.  I liked that he grew up an NC State fan too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 10:37 PM, stitches said:

Yes, only 4 left. Richardson, Brents, Freeland and Adebawore... 

I think it’s now three ….    Didn’t AA sign this week?     I believe I read that here.    I’ll try to double check. 

NOTE:   Yes, Tomi signed.   It happened Wednesday of this week. 

• Like 1