Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Do you have access to that data?  It would be surprising if it didn’t suggest accuracy issues.

A lot has been posted in the past few weeks. All of it clearly shows where Richardson is most effective and where he is least effective, and if you watch the videos on YT it's not hard to figure out why the charting shows what it does.

Are people still arguing whether he has accuracy issues? This is an accepted fact at this point, right? More at question is how much better he can become, what you do to help him improve, and what you do to help him make plays in the meantime. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

. I saw a metric that seemed to have more reliability than completion percentage but I cannot recall the name

Theres an adjusted completion % that accounts for drops and maybe defenders making a play on well thrown balls 

• Thanks 1

Big roll of the dice on the part of Ballard and he admits that.   If he does well, Indy could get far into the playoffs.  If not, he'll be around a few years and we'll draft another like Cleveland does....we will have become the Cleveland Browns.   The jury is still out. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

A lot has been posted in the past few weeks. All of it clearly shows where Richardson is most effective and where he is least effective, and if you watch the videos on YT it's not hard to figure out why the charting shows what it does.

Are people still arguing whether he has accuracy issues? This is an accepted fact at this point, right? More at question is how much better he can become, what you do to help him improve, and what you do to help him make plays in the meantime. 

Some seem to be arguing it.  I don’t understand why.  

the dude is young and could very well polish up.  

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

the dude is young and could very well polish up.  

For the record I acknowledge his accuracy is a concern. My argument is that it can be improved with the right teachers. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Concealing and lying are 2 different things.

I know all about lying season and it’s not in the context that you’re using it. Respected coaches and front office folks don’t lie on the record, during lying season. They have other ways to put out false information. That’s what lying season is. 

Integrity is important to me. 

I’m not impressed with Steichen, as a person. He might be a gifted football mind. But honesty is so important. Players will follow an honest coach. They won’t follow a dishonest coach. 

Drafting Richardson was a good risk. His upside is tremendous. However, don’t say that accuracy is the most import trait a quarterback can have, and then draft a quarterback with a lot of accuracy issues. 

The lie was either said to be misleading (if so then it was not necessary), or Steichen didn’t honestly answer the question. Either way, it’s a red flag, and it should concern everyone. It certainly concerns me. 

I love the Colts, but I call balls and strikes. Some people on this board don’t like that. That’s not my problem. 

Or he was telling a truth about it being something HE valued but others also had a say and it wasn’t entirely just his decision…but a collaborative one. There were other qualities that he listed too and the Colts must have felt he checked enough boxes to make him their preferred option at 4. Obviously, the consensus saw enough there regarding his accuracy that they felt confident their coaching could correct. We will see if they were correct in that assessment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We need Oline depth. Don’t think it has to be a stater. We can go back into FA. We have no tackle depth either.

Why not a starter? List off names of the people we got next up on the roster?  Y'all are not going to like Anthony Richardson without a good line to protect him.  Y'all "fans" will be the first to say some nasty things about him and run him out of Indy like he had a chance with a terrible line.

Just now, Boss7894 said:

Why not a starter? List off names of the people we got next up on the roster?  Y'all are not going to like Anthony Richardson without a good line to protect him.  Y'all "fans" will be the first to say some nasty things about him and run him out of Indy like he had a chance with a terrible line.

Because I think we can sign someone as a FA who is a vet to start. I mean if we get a starter here in the third that’s fine but I don’t think it’s necessary.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Sorry i probably dragged that out longer than it needed to be.  It was due to a weird argument this morning

Someone out there has a weird issue with "liars" and a trivial comment Shane made

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Honestly Luck was that accurate especially his rookie year. 54 percent passing

Luck wasn’t overly accurate.  He kinda was a catalyst to end Reggie’s career throwing behind him on that knee play.

one thing he did do though is throw well short with Frank that awesome year.  It was quite a bit different offense than the downfield deep drop stuff he had been doing.

56 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Just not T-Rich. Lol

Rolling ball of butcher knives lol.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@DattMavis, I predicted 11 wins that year with Phil and nailed it, we won 11. One of the few predictions I have got right over the last 3 years or so regarding the Colts. Last year I had us winning 11 so that shows you one minute anyone can look a genius one minute, then look silly the next lmao 

Last year I predicted 7-9 wins, and everyone thought I was crazy for having it so low. Little did I know! haha:Cry:

4 hours ago, GwinnettColt said:

Big roll of the dice on the part of Ballard and he admits that.   If he does well, Indy could get far into the playoffs.  If not, he'll be around a few years and we'll draft another like Cleveland does....we will have become the Cleveland Browns.   The jury is still out. 

Given our QB carousel the past 4 years, we already are Cleveland. I need one of those jerseys with the names of all the QBs we’ve had during that time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

You absolutely can control physical traits…give a child puberty blockers or have them eat a horrible diet or starve them through malnutrition and most assuredly they won’t fully develop into their greatest potential. To think someone can’t become more accurate is just a horrible take. I mean unless you think practice and repetition is pointless I mean why do you think athletes spend so much time working on their craft? I’ve seen it tons in the nba players that couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn now are deadly 3pt shooters. It’s just going to come down to the right coaches, the kid putting in the right effort, right protection, and getting him the right players to throw to…and I think we have two of those in house and hopefully we can get some players today to help with the other two.

Puberty blockers? 

Sigh

The Panthers are feeding Young some tallenizers. 

I could tell you the medical terms for both but I super don't want to now 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Luck wasn’t overly accurate.  He kinda was a catalyst to end Reggie’s career throwing behind him on that knee play.

one thing he did do though is throw well short with Frank that awesome year.  It was quite a bit different offense than the downfield deep drop stuff he had been doing.

Rolling ball of butcher knives lol.

Luck wasn’t accurate because of the offense he was running.   Pagano and Arians and Pep and Chudzinski believed in big chunk play offense. 

Reich came in with a more West Coast passing attack and Luck’s percentage went way up, and the offense took off.   It’s the offense he ran successfully in college and it’s the offense the Colts should have been in when they drafted Luck.   Short passing game with play action plus a solid running game.   Luck didn’t have that until 2018 — his best year and his last year. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck wasn’t accurate because of the offense he was running.   Pagano and Arians and Pep and Chudzinski believed in big chunk play offense. 

Reich came in with a more West Coast passing attack and Luck’s percentage went way up, and the offense took off.   It’s the offense he ran successfully in college and it’s the offense the Colts should have been in when they drafted Luck.   Short passing game with play action plus a solid running game.   Luck didn’t have that until 2018 — his best year and his last year. 

Did pep bring the offense he ran in college?  I don't really follow Stanford so I don't know if it was or not

7 hours ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, I don’t believe so at large. I just think people are trying to get some hope going that the accuracy issues are either not as critically bad as some of the most negative reviews suggest or that there is hope to get it fixed based on what other similar QBs have been going through.

We obviously won’t know for some time how fixable the flaws is, but I wanted to get your opinion on this question: So you see his technique/mechanics being worse on the short/medium range than the longer throws where he seems to more success rate?

I guess I might have to go back and re-read your draft review one more time. :)

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Reich and Luck was a good fit. Maybe Ballard and Irsay was counting on exactly that when they hired Reich.

That whole plan went to hell of course when Luck quit on the team, and the perfect fit between Reich and QB never materialized again. But that is water under the bridge now, fortunately.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did pep bring the offense he ran in college?  I don't really follow Stanford so I don't know if it was or not

Not that I could tell.   And Pagano always preached the big chunk play offense….   So….  

It’s hard for me to be totally objective about Pep.   I don’t think he’s a good coach and I don’t think he’s a good person.    Glad he moved on.   

Thought Frank’s offense was the one Luck should’ve always been in.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson is going to come in to the nfl with a huge  upgrade in weapons. 

Hes pretty much about to will himself into starting. He said playing is how he learns best. Said he has no interest in sitting. I could always sense he felt he was a Hunter. Well go hunt then young lion! Whatever he feels works the best! Will see what happens...

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

To the bolded, I don’t believe so at large. I just think people are trying to get some hope going that the accuracy issues are either not as critically bad as some of the most negative reviews suggest or that there is hope to get it fixed based on what other similar QBs have been going through.

We obviously won’t know for some time how fixable the flaws is, but I wanted to get your opinion on this question: So you see his technique/mechanics being worse on the short/medium range than the longer throws where he seems to more success rate?

As one of AR's biggest proponents I will say this - his accuracy was THE biggest question in his game. There is no question that he has accuracy issues. They are there for all to see on his film and he IF he doesn't improve significantly, especially with his short-range accuracy he will bust. His dynamic athleticism and ability to run can help a lot and mask some of those issues in the beginning, and it can buy him time in developing his passing game... but ultimately when the time comes for us to decide whether this experiment is going well or we need another reset, it will be decided by how much his accuracy has improved. 

But at the same time, I believe his accuracy issues are fixable and the main reason I think that is because his throwing motion from the waist up seems very solid and everything I've read and watched as analysis videos on his mechanics seem to point to his accuracy issues being linked mainly to inconsistent footwork, which seems to be the thing NFL coaches think they can fix. I also think he hasn't had the greatest of coaching so far and I think where most NFL prospects have had the chance to come back after their first year starting and have a try at improving their game in general(including accuracy), Richardson never got this chance. His chance to improve will be directly in the NFL. And while some mind find this scary, IMO he will get much better coaching in the NFL than in a college program that didn't even think necessary to give him a designated QB coach.

Also, while the list of QBs being successful after coming into the league with this type of accuracy issues is not long(Michael Vick and Josh Allen?), IMO this list suffers a serious selection bias - i.e. usually QBs with this little experience don't come out of college after having a 54% completion year... and the only ones that have come out with that type of accuracy issues have been players that have exhausted their eligibility(i.e. they've already had the chance to improve and have not been able to). With Richardson this is not the case. He is still very young(youngest QB in this draft and in most drafts) and he is very inexperienced(he hasn't had the chance to improve after a year of starting). 

So yeah... it's by no means a certainty that he will improve. He still need to put in the work and our coaching staff still needs to handle him right and guide him towards success, but I see no reason why he won't improve if he indeed is as committed to his craft as he seems from the outside and as the trust Ballard has put in him by drafting him this high suggests. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In general there is nothing wrong with the Air Coryell offense we were running early in Luck's career. The reason they decided to run it was because Luck was from day 1 ready to make full field progression reads and to orchestrate a successful attack and chunk plays are very valuable indeed, The thing I think the Colts did wrong was - they completely failed to take into account the state of our offensive line. You can run deep field attacking offense... but you need the pass-protection to hold much better than ours was able to. And Chuck and the offensive coaching staff never stopped and thought to themselves - is this the right approach when we cannot protect the QB for long enough in order to let him execute that offense? And then Grigson never succeeded in adding good enough pieces to the OL. So Luck stayed there and was running for his life trying to execute an offense our roster was not built for. 

I agree that Reich unlocked and showed off some of Luck's best abilities in the final year. I think Luck had even another gear in him in that offense and he was just starting to get comfortable in it by the end of the season. Too bad it was indeed the final year :( 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

As one of AR's biggest proponents I will say this - his accuracy was THE biggest question in his game. There is no question that he has accuracy issues. They are there for all to see on his film and he IF he doesn't improve significantly, especially with his short-range accuracy he will bust. His dynamic athleticism and ability to run can help a lot and mask some of those issues in the beginning, and it can buy him time in developing his passing game... but ultimately when the time comes for us to decide whether this experiment is going well or we need another reset, it will be decided by how much his accuracy has improved. 

But at the same time, I believe his accuracy issues are fixable and the main reason I think that is because his throwing motion from the waist up seems very solid and everything I've read and watched as analysis videos on his mechanics seem to point to his accuracy issues being linked mainly to inconsistent footwork, which seems to be the thing NFL coaches think they can fix. I also think he hasn't had the greatest of coaching so far and I think where most NFL prospects have had the chance to come back after their first year starting and have a try at improving their game in general(including accuracy), Richardson never got this chance. His chance to improve will be directly in the NFL. And while some mind find this scary, IMO he will get much better coaching in the NFL than in a college program that didn't even think necessary to give him a designated QB coach.

Also, while the list of QBs being successful after coming into the league with this type of accuracy issues is not long(Michael Vick and Josh Allen?), IMO this list suffers a serious selection bias - i.e. usually QBs with this little experience don't come out of college after having a 54% completion year... and the only ones that have come out with that type of accuracy issues have been players that have exhausted their eligibility(i.e. they've already had the chance to improve and have not been able to). With Richardson this is not the case. He is still very young(youngest QB in this draft and in most drafts) and he is very inexperienced(he hasn't had the chance to improve after a year of starting). 

So yeah... it's by no means a certainty that he will improve. He still need to put in the work and our coaching staff still needs to handle him right and guide him towards success, but I see no reason why he won't improve if he indeed is as committed to his craft as he seems from the outside and as the trust Ballard has put in him by drafting him this high suggests. 

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this. Yes, I think that Richardson's young age and limited QB coaching so far is a big reason for hope here. All else being equal, there is much less chance of a 23-24 year QB to be able to change bad habits than a guy that is turning 20 next month. I also loved his comment about Tom Brady and never stop to improve because there is always the risk of some of these young guys having the NFL as the life time goal and some becoming slightly complacent when they are finally drafted.

Finally, I think it is a huge help that everybody know that he is a bit of a project from the owner over the GM and HC + staff to the fans and media. There shouldn't be a lot of bust pressure if he doesn't become elite the first two years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

To me he looks really uncomfortable when not throwing the fastball.  He seems to guide the ball.  My Dad would say that to me pitching in the back yard.  Throw it don’t guide it.

he doesn’t see to have that Mahomes/Rodgers or Shortstop type of ability to change arm angles and hips, legs, feet at different angles and be accurate short.  It seems as if he’s almost afraid of letting it go short like he doesn’t trust it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IanColts22 said:

I read somewhere though that you can teach a QB footwork delivery but you can't teach accuracy?  I don't know if that's true or not but I'm hoping it isn't!

It’s been conventional wisdom.  Doesn’t make it true.  Lots of conventional FB is proving wrong.  If there is a technique flaw though it would seem to be correctable.

Lots of posters here are equating accuracy and completion %. They aren’t equal.  Drops are obvious, ints and pass break ups can be accurate too.  Ie. The throw goes where it was intended but it shouldn’t have been throw there.  You could theoretically complete 20 of 20 short passes and not one would catch the receiver in stride and they would all 20 be inaccurate throws.

17 minutes ago, Nickster said:

To me he looks really uncomfortable when not throwing the fastball.  He seems to guide the ball.  My Dad would say that to me pitching in the back yard.  Throw it don’t guide it.

he doesn’t see to have that Mahomes/Rodgers or Shortstop type of ability to change arm angles and hips, legs, feet at different angles.  It seems as if he’s almost afraid of letting it go short like he doesn’t trust it.

Yep. Agreed... he looks uncomfortable throwing with touch. He looks awkward when he needs to take something off the power of his throw. I think he even said something to the effect in one of his interviews - he said that when he tries to throw a slow ball it affects his accuracy. Lets see what our coaches can do with him. 

Just now, stitches said:

Yep. Agreed... he looks uncomfortable throwing with touch. He looks awkward when he needs to take something off the power of his throw. I think he even said something to the effect in one of his interviews - he said that when he tries to throw a slow ball it affects his accuracy. Lets see what our coaches can do with him. 

One thing concerned me I heard him say predraft was the the guys just need to catch it or something to that effect.  T hat is definitely not true.  Lots of routes need a catchable placement .  He will be coached that and at least seems humble enough to learn that.  

he seems to want to let it rip rather than laying it in there short.  But that’s probably cause he’s not good at it and it’s frustrating.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It’s been conventional wisdom.  Doesn’t make it true.  Lots of conventional FB is proving wrong.  If there is a technique flaw though it would seem to be correctable.

Lots of posters here are equating accuracy and completion %. They aren’t equal.  Drops are obvious, ints and pass break ups can be accurate too.  Ie. The throw goes where it was intended but it shouldn’t have been throw there.  You could theoretically complete 20 of 20 short passes and not one would catch the receiver in stride and they would all 20 be inaccurate throws.

Agreed again... I think his accuracy is an issue. I do NOT think the 53.8% completion% is representative of how bad his accuracy is. I did this exercise earlier this month in the no.4 pick thread - I tried to normalize his completion % by accounting for drops and throwaways, both of which he had much more than average of. In general if you bring the drops to about average for the SEC and his throwaways to about average to the SEC it brings his completion% to about 58-59%. NOT great... and still an issue, but far away from the outlier it is now at 54%. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

One thing concerned me I heard him say predraft was the the guys just need to catch it or something to that effect.  T hat is definitely not true.  Lots of routes need a catchable placement .  He will be coached that and at least seems humble enough to learn that.  

he seems to want to let it rip rather than laying it in there short.  But that’s probably cause he’s not good at it and it’s frustrating.

I think he was being lighthearted and joking around with the media when he said that(it was at the combine). He also said in that same interview just a minute or two earlier that "you cannot muscle every throw in" and he was talking about what he's been working on with his mechanics. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think he was being lighthearted and joking around with the media when he said that(it was at the combine). He also said in that same interview just a minute or two earlier that "you cannot muscle every throw in" and he was talking about what he's been working on with his mechanics. 

Got it.  I actually didn’t hear it either.  I read it.  I don’t watch much Tv FB news. Can’t deal with the constant hype and drama lol.  Almost all my news is what’s posted here.

there is a difference if he’s joking and knows he has the issue.  I think it’s important that guys know there flaws.

• Like 1