Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Restructure DeForest Buckner Contract!

philba101

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Today the Colts restructured $5 million of DeForest Buckener's salary into a signing bonus. It could be just a procedural move, or perhaps the Colts are clearing cap space for a reason?

Yeah, we might be trying to sign someone. I would personally guess Shaquill Griffin or Bryce Callahan to get another CB before the draft.

Here’s a thought. Lamar said he would play under the tag this year if a deal could not be worked out.  If we trade Buckner and the the 4th pick to the Ravens for Lamar the net result is Lamar fits under our cap with his tag number.  He wants out of Baltimore so coming to Indy works.  He gets paid the 32m tag number and the Colts have time to get a deal done long term.  I don’t know if the Ravens play a 4/3 defense though.  Buckner would have to fit on their team.   The salary cap math works.  If they are just looking for cap space they could have cut Foles and not restructure the contract.   So another bigger move might be in the works.  Doing this to sign a FA seems unnecessary to me.   I would think if it’s for a player acquisition we should know fairly soon.

Every year - the Colts restructure the contracts of their highest-paid players in order to free up cap space.  

They are only allowed to do so one time - if memory serves.

They've restructured Shaquille Leonard - Braden Smith - Ryan Kelly - and - a number of other players in previous years.

18 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Interesting move....... BEFORE the draft

What does $5M bring to this team?

I wondered the same thing....it seems like even more could have been pulled out of that contract. If we see a couple other restructures then maybe something is going on.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Here’s a thought. Lamar said he would play under the tag this year if a deal could not be worked out.  If we trade Buckner and the the 4th pick to the Ravens for Lamar the net result is Lamar fits under our cap with his tag number.  He wants out of Baltimore so coming to Indy works.  He gets paid the 32m tag number and the Colts have time to get a deal done long term.  I don’t know if the Ravens play a 4/3 defense though.  Buckner would have to fit on their team.   The salary cap math works.  If they are just looking for cap space they could have cut Foles and not restructure the contract.   So another bigger move might be in the works.  Doing this to sign a FA seems unnecessary to me.   I would think if it’s for a player acquisition we should know fairly soon.

i was on the Lamar band wagon but as things unfold, I am 90% sure he is heading back to the Ravens. I think that is why a lot of teams have honeslty stayed away. Once cooler heads prevailed, he will go back with a nice fat contract.

Sorry dude...in case your wifi broke down, just letting you know that the Ravens signed OBJ. OBJ and Lamar are tight and communicate with each other. Your Lamar dream has vanished.

It’s only a 2.5 mil savings, Lamar still doesn’t fit under that cap even on the tag. And trading Buckner now means we lose even more cap space now that he’s restructured. Unless the raven agree to eat it fully , which I doubt 

44 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s only a 2.5 mil savings, Lamar still doesn’t fit under that cap even on the tag. And trading Buckner now means we lose even more cap space now that he’s restructured. Unless the raven agree to eat it fully , which I doubt 

Lamar does fit under the cap when Buckners cap hit is transferred to the Ravens.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Lamar does fit under the cap when Buckners cap hit is transferred to the Ravens.

Lamar has to at least considered

but…..

I think the Colts see how the draft plays out first

IMHO at 4th you take a swing at QB3 or QB4 and give it your best for this year

We will probably have a terrible year either way……

If our choice shows that they could be the long term answer you trade our very early pick in 2024 draft

if our choice seems to be a turd….. you use the very early pick on a QB

I fully expect to be drafting in top 5 picks either way with a QB in the draft

It could be a corner.   It could be a guard like Risner.   That’s my hope.   

I still think it’s possible the Colts could trade up to 3.    And if they do, it would likely cost them a 3 and 4 this year.   That would make it harder to draft a guard and other needed players.  

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It could be a corner.   It could be a guard like Risner.   That’s my hope.   

I still think it’s possible the Colts could trade up to 3.    And if they do, it would likely cost them a 3 and 4 this year.   That would make it harder to draft a guard and other needed players.  

I’ve looked at a lot of both Levis and ARs tape, they have every throw from a lot of games on YouTube.  

There’s a lot to like and not like from both.  AR has the age, Levis the experience.  But to me the difference is so minor that neither guy is worth losing a pick over.  Both are hit or miss projects.  

I still think we need to take one, but I’d like to save those picks to shore up the Oline.  Maybe sign RYS with the extra cap space.  

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It seems like the Colts get a 2.5 mill cap savings in exchange for fully guaranteeing the rest of the contract.  I don't think I like that deal.

Oh i could see Buckner's agent saying "now we aren't saying we want traded but going to a contender would be okay". 

And this is our response. How about we do this. And that is how you get fully guaranteed.

4 hours ago, philba101 said:

Today the Colts restructured $5 million of DeForest Buckener's salary into a signing bonus. It could be just a procedural move, or perhaps the Colts are clearing cap space for a reason?

Has to be for a reason , they’re planning on signing someone. Hopefully it’s a CB unless they plan on doubling down in CB in the draft. Garrett Williams could possibly be had in the 3rd maybe 4th round. If not for the injury he was pegged to potentially go day 1.

I have a hard time believing they won’t be bringing in a CB and most likely some OL depth too.  I expect Griffin to be signed. A Guard like Risner as well or a swing tackle like Fleming.  Plus they have to sign their draft class and have some maneuverability for next season. I think they’re hoping Foles retires rather than showing up to camp. MAC is a goner in my opinion so more space than $2.5 million will be cleared. 

28 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I didn't see anything guarantees next year

From what I’m reading, it just fully guarantees his contract for this year, what was split between a bonus and salary got converted, thus fully guaranteeing this year and reducing the cap hit at the same time. 

He makes the same money, it’s just a move from what portion of the cap it eats. 

Makes no sense right?  Why do it?  For 2.5 m saving.  

I think it wasn’t done for cap reasons. Buckner was likely hearing all the trade rumors for this or that, didn’t want to be traded(if you believe the tweets he’s put out and the sources) so this was a way of guaranteeing Buckner we wouldn’t move him.

20 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I have a hard time believing they won’t be bringing in a CB and most likely some OL depth too.  I expect Griffin to be signed. A Guard like Risner as well or a swing tackle like Fleming.  Plus they have to sign their draft class and have some maneuverability for next season. I think they’re hoping Foles retires rather than showing up to camp. MAC is a goner in my opinion so more space than $2.5 million will be cleared. 

According to what I see on spotrac we can cut Foles anytime before our final 53, but we still owe him $1.5M.

Finding a new home for Mac free's up $2.41 M.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Both are hit or miss projects.  

I am coming around to that conclusion as well

BOTH QBs will drive a poor year this coming year

Just pick who you can of QB3 or QB4 (Or if QB2 slides a bit)

If we miss....... we try again next year

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I was just going by another poster's comments.  I don't know how much the total guaranteed money is.  It could be not that large.

Just guaranteed this year.   He was going to be guaranteed at the beginning of the season anyway.   Just accounting.   Nothing big

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Just guaranteed this year.   He was going to be guaranteed at the beginning of the season anyway.   Just accounting.   Nothing big

And gives them 2.5 million to play with which always comes in handy.  (Not saying it’s a sign they are going to get someone with it right now.)

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Dear Sweet Baby Jesus…

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Richard I know you really want Lamar but the Colts.  Aren’t.  Trading.  For.  Lamar.  

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

richard, I'm a big fan of your posts, but I'm afraid this one is a bit of a stretch for me.

4 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

richard, I'm a big fan of your posts, but I'm afraid this one is a bit of a stretch for me.

I admit it’s a stretch but the numbers do work out so that’s why I posted it.  Buckners restructure really surprised me to gain just 2.5 m in cap space just before the draft when we had plenty.  Seemed like a strange move to me.

Archived