Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts QB Coach- Cam Turner

TomDiggs

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It'll obviously depend on a number of factors such as the combine, pro day, interviews, medicals, how many QBs go before our pick if we don't trade up, FA, information that has been leaked about other teams interest in said QBs. I think Ballard will want to try to exploit some value here if he is after Richardson. We'll see. He may want to use this opportunity to gain a top pick this year or next year if we aren't drafting Stroud or Young. Think Quenton Nelson in 2018. 

It’s one thing to trade back for a guard, and another to trade back targeting a quarterback and risk having another team trade up and take the quarterback you want.   Highly risky.   I don’t see Ballard taking that type of risk with Steichen’s preferred choice (assuming AR is the guy?)   Way WAY too risky.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Young is athletic enough it is just his size

The problem is that he might be too small to deploy his athleticism.  Too much of a risk.  If the HC won't let him run because of size, we may as well compare him to Stroud.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s one thing to trade back for a guard, and another to trade back targeting a quarterback and risk having another team trade up and take the quarterback you want.   Highly risky.   I don’t see Ballard taking that type of risk with Steichen’s preferred choice (assuming AR is the guy?)   Way WAY too risky.  

I can see it Ballard trades back and another team takes his qb then we go the whole draft without drafting a qb.

Media Why didnt you draft a qb

BALLARD Look our guy wasnt there. IM not going to take a qb just to take one.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The problem is that he might be too small to deploy his athleticism.  Too much of a risk.  If he can't run because of size, we may as well compare him to Stroud.

He will be able to run. Just has to be smart about taking hits

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I’m starting to think more and more that Ballard and Steichen may be targeting Anthony Richardson, who has the highest ceiling of any of these QBs. Hopefully they could trade down and still land him. Then plan to sit and have him learn for a good part of his first season as Mahomes did. 

puke GIF

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Seems like a solid hire w his history of working w Kyler (B.Young) and Cam (Richardson). 

Nice to have someone used to working w different QB skill sets

And this is yet another coach who is the son of a former top coach….   Norv  Turner is widely considered one of the best OC’s of all-time.   Both Troy Aikman and Alex Smith think Norv was a God-send to their careers.   So I do like this hire. 

34 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He will be able to run. Just has to be smart about taking hits

IMO, Hurts, Lamar, Fields, Jones and Allen are runners.  OTOH, Mahomes is a scrambler and so many other QBs too.

The first 5 make contact.  They are not stupidly risky about it, but they don't slide all of the time either.   If a QB is just going to slide about 3 yards before contact, it kind of limits him as a running threat.  That is not the kind of Qb that will replace a RB on certain plays, and that's essentially what the first 5 do.

IMO, we have to look at BY as a scrambler, so his passing traits are very important.  Now you have height and arm talent limitations.

If you want to make him the next Joe Montana and build a roll-out offense around his skills, fine.  But he's not a player that you plug n play into the running offense the NFL employs today.  JMO. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, Hurts, Lamar, Fields, Jones and Allen are runners.  OTOH, Mahomes is a scrambler and so many other QBs too.

The first 5 make contact.  They are not stupidly risky about it, but they don't slide all of the time either.   If a QB is just going to slide about 3 yards before contact, it kind of limits him as a running threat.  He's not a Qb that will replace a RB on certain plays, and that's essentially what the first 5 do.

IMO, we have to look at BY as a scrambler, so his passing traits are very important.  Now you have height and arm talent limitations.

If you want to make him the next Joe Montana and build a roll-out offense around his skills, fine.  But he's not a player that you plug n play into the running offense the NFL employs today.  JMO. 

Which QB do you want just out of curiosity, knowing what we know now, about the QBs and our coaching staff?

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The first 5 make contact.  They are not stupidly risky about it, but they don't slide all of the time either.   If a QB is just going to slide about 3 yards before contact, it kind of limits him as a running threat.  He's not a Qb that will replace a RB on certain plays, and that's essentially what the first 5 do.

Young is more like mahomes. He uses athletic ability to extend plays and makes crazy off platform throws

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The only question that begs to be asked is "are they keeping Matt Ryan around for 1 more year to mentor a guy like Anthony Richardson and is that why they still have not cut him?". But saving $17 million by cutting him, half of which can be used to get a good backup QB in the NFL seems far more appealing, IMO. That would be too expensive for a backup.

The popular "wish list of discards" of this off season for most Colts fans - Jeff Saturday and Matt Ryan, one is taken care of, 2 out of 2 would be good. :) 

IMO Matt Ryan is probably too expensive of a backup/bridge. We can probably get Mariota to do the same for fraction of the cost. 

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Young is more like mahomes. He uses athletic ability to extend plays and makes crazy off platform throws

Plus he is more advanced with his QB reads compared to Mahomes at the same age, Bryce Young is only 20. 

Mahomes is 6'2" and only the last couple of years did he improve on reading Ds, till then he was playing more backyard football and relying on Hill and Kelce. That is what one needs to realize if they have the urge to extrapolate and compare. If Bryce Young was 6'2", he would be a "can't miss" pick, IMO.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agree about Stroud.  I think BY is too small to be able to use his running ability as a designed weapon, so he gets excluded, IMO.

If you back off the idea that these coaches PREFER to use QBs running ability as a weapon, then I think all 4 can use theirs' enough to stay on the potential draft pick list.

We are just connecting dots with imperfect information here. It's all for fun and conversation sake... For all we know athletic/running ability might be low on the priority list and they might prefer Stroud to all the rest. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Which QB do you want just out of curiosity, knowing what we know now, about the QBs and our coaching staff?

Any QB except BY, because of the reasons I mentioned.  He should be at best a 3rd rounder, IMO.  Competing with Hooker and McKee.  If we went with either of them in the 3rd, that's fine.  It would mean that we have a different QB strategy than most want, but I would be curious to see how it all comes together in a few years.

Honestly, I think as draft day approaches, we are all suffering a bit from QB over-hype.  I don't think any of the QBs are franchise guys and I think all 4 of them will end up being over drafted.   I'm not saying busts, all 4 might be very good NFL players, but they are not the guys you move heaven and earth to get....or worry too much that you didn't get.

I'd be happy with Stroud or Levis at 4, knowing that there are things that must be developed in each.  I'd be happy with AR at pick 20, but it seems like he will not last that long.

Trade down in the first to get a talented position player, then trading up from 35 to get AR would be nice.  AR at 4 is too high, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

But not the same level of agility  to run sideways three times or the arm strength to do those 30 yard off balance stuff, and he'll be more susceptible to injury than mahomes, IMO.

Again, I say an offense that has a designed roll out passing base.  Move the pocket sideways.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Any QB except BY, because of the reasons I mentioned.  He should be at best a 3rd rounder, IMO.  Competing with Hooker and McKee.  If we went with either of them in the 3rd, that's fine.  It would mean that we have a different QB strategy than most want, but I would be curious to see how it all comes together in a few years.

Honestly, I think as draft day approaches, we are all suffering a bit from QB over-hype.  I don't think any of the QBs are franchise guys and I think all 4 of them will end up being over drafted.   I'm not saying busts, all 4 might be very good NFL players, but they are not the guys you move heaven and earth to get....or worry too much that you didn't get.

I'd be happy with Stroud or Levis at 4, knowing that there are things that must be developed in each.  I'd be happy with AR at pick 20, but it seems like he will not last that long.

Trade down in the first to get a talented position player, then trading up from 35 to get AR would be nice.  AR at 4 is too high, IMO.

Ar at 4 is just right

On the Bryce Young thing... I recently checked Ballard's history with drafting small players. In the 6 drafts so far, Ballard has drafted 53 players. Only 3 of them are under 5'11", 2 of them are RBs, the third is 6th round CB Isaiah Rodgers. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

We are just connecting dots with imperfect information here. It's all for fun and conversation sake... For all we know athletic/running ability might be low on the priority list and they might prefer Stroud to all the rest. 

I think there is a greater than 50% chance that Stroud is number 1 on Ballard's board.  At this point.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I’m starting to think more and more that Ballard and Steichen may be targeting Anthony Richardson, who has the highest ceiling of any of these QBs. Hopefully they could trade down and still land him. Then plan to sit and have him learn for a good part of his first season as Mahomes did. 

I would put the odds of the Colts trading back, especially to draft a QB, somewhere between not a chance and no freaking way. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And this is yet another coach who is the son of a former top coach….   Norv  Turner is widely considered one of the best OC’s of all-time.   Both Troy Aikman and Alex Smith think Norv was a God-send to their careers.   So I do like this hire. 

Actually….  Turns out that Turner is NOT Norv’s son.   He’s his nephew.   Cam is the son of Florida International HC Ron Turner and the cousin of Scott Turner, who is the current OC for the Washington Commanders.    

Four coaches in the family.    So coaching really IS the Family Business!   

Learn behind who?

Yep, I am getting that feeling as well. Ballard loves to trade back and we could land Richardson later in the top 10

7 hours ago, stitches said:

On the Bryce Young thing... I recently checked Ballard's history with drafting small players. In the 6 drafts so far, Ballard has drafted 53 players. Only 3 of them are under 5'11", 2 of them are RBs, the third is 6th round CB Isaiah Rodgers. 

Yeah most sure thing of all is it is not Bryce Young,Polian pretty much outed him as an option at press conference by mentioning him to 'throw'people off thinking thats who Indy coveted and it fooled no one....too small for Ballard's liking.

4 is high for AR (Some now saying Colts traded up to get him at 1...that's not happening at all) but may have to if Houston grabs Young and someone grabs Levis and Stroud by trading up (Carolina,Seattle) now that Carter's stock in tumbling fast and hard.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

IMO Richardson and Levis are the only ones that really hit the target. Stroud IMO is not athletic enough full stop and Young might not be athletic enough for his diminutive size. 

Is stroud running the 40 at the combine? I know during the super bowl press day he talked about having a lingering leg injury last season that hindered his ability to move. Personally I think he is more athletic than people give him credit for but not as athletic as the other 3 QBs

13 hours ago, stitches said:

Stroud is the least mobile. Young is plenty mobile, but I'm not sure how translatable this would be when you include his size. For example - Kyler Murray is almost as small as Young, but he's also much more athletic. So the question becomes... can you be merely above average athlete at that size or do you need to be superb athlete(Murray? Russell Wilson)

Stroud has mobility, Ohio’s scheme is built around more of a pocket passer so he wasnt really asked to use his legs much. If he runs at the combine they project him running around a 4.7 which isn’t the worst.  Mahomes ran a 4.8 at the combine and he’s pretty mobile. 

Does selecting Richardson buy Ballard more guaranteed time, since he’s generally considered more of a project and won’t be expected to play right away? Ballard has said if he takes a QB that doesn’t work out he will be run out of the building — self preservation is on dude’s mind. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Ok a thread about a new QB coach which … does not discuss the new QB coach at all? haha:facepalm:

Lol Too True

I will say this....I have seen Colts fan and just media types all trying to guess at what this means and who the target is.

Everyone has different opinions (and the variance demonstrates how nobody actually knows)....but here's the good thing:

Cam Turner adds another resource to the QB room that has experience with multiple types of QBs.

Are they both mobile? Absolutely. But Kyler and Newton are nothing alike at all. Just like Bryce Young and Richardson are nothing alike. 

Now factor in the work JBC has done w Trevor Lawrence recently and with Stafford prior and then the work that Steichen has done with Rivers and Herbert and Hurts and you basically have an amazing depth of experience at allllll types of QBs.

I also love that this means it is not a bunch of "yes men" that are all one-track thinkers. You are going to have a wealth of knowledge and experiences and ideas to bounce off of each other before getting on the same page and developing a young QB no matter what type of QB he is. That is smart. 

Additionally, all of this staff is young. Not inexperienced though. Just young. They will likely connect well with the players while having experience and also having room to grow and be around for awhile (if successful that is).

At the end of the day, whoever was gonna be the QB coach is going to be the one often side by side w the young QB as they learn and progress. I am not going to pretend that I know that Cam Turner is the best guy for the job. But from what we do know about him he has some favorable experience and can add to the room. Which is a nice start. 

8 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Does selecting Richardson buy Ballard more guaranteed time, since he’s generally considered more of a project and won’t be expected to play right away? Ballard has said if he takes a QB that doesn’t work out he will be run out of the building — self preservation is on dude’s mind. 

What is on Ballard's mind is what the ownership is thinking.

Irsay is quite capable of comprehending how far away we are from being a SB contender.

And we will all have a much better idea After next season.

9 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

To the bolded, isn’t that on everyone’s mind? I’m sure he likes having a 1 of 32 job and the pay. But I’m pretty confident that Ballard understands at some point in his career, he more than likely will be fired. Nature of the NFL.

But Ballard has been saying this for years, not just this year. I don’t think he is scared to draft a QB. I think he is leery of mortgaging the future and selecting the wrong QB, because he understands the impacts and setback a decision like that could have in the franchise.

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

To the bolded, isn’t that on everyone’s mind? I’m sure he likes having a 1 of 32 job and the pay. But I’m pretty confident that Ballard understands at some point in his career, he more than likely will be fired. Nature of the NFL.

But Ballard has been saying this for years, not just this year. I don’t think he is scared to draft a QB. I think he is leery of mortgaging the future and selecting the wrong QB, because he understands the impacts and setback a decision like that could have in the franchise.

Regardless, with a rookie QB, Ballard has decisions to make now with a few "win now" contracts like Gilmore and potentially Buckner too. I do think drafting a rookie QB buys Ballard at least 2 years, if not 3 years. 2 years for a playoff appearance with a rookie QB is a reasonable expectation, IMO.

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Is stroud running the 40 at the combine? I know during the super bowl press day he talked about having a lingering leg injury last season that hindered his ability to move. Personally I think he is more athletic than people give him credit for but not as athletic as the other 3 QBs

I saw Stroud move with ease when necessary against that vaulted Georgia defense surprising many. His poise in the pocket against that pressure was only second to Young whose size raises some concern at the NFL level. I think the two are head and shoulders above Levis and Richardson. Game tape doesn't lie. Productivity at a HIGH sustained level matters. I think Levis plays erratic and his decision making on the field is questionable. I don’t get all the love for Richardson either. High ceiling? I guess but I saw many of his games and he looked bad against some of the top teams ESPECIALLY with his PASSING where he struggles with accuracy. IMO more of a big rb playing qb that lacks the wiggle of Lamar.

Can he hit tight windows in the NFL or become a more efficient passer? Maybe but I will say I feel WAY more comfortable with a pick of Levis or Richardson IF chosen by the Colts because of the newly hired offensive staff that's been assembled. (OL coach is a meh) One that is multidimensional and on that upper tier level of bright minds starting with the hc, oc and qbc who all have had some type of success dealing with multiple QBs that have carried different skillsets. The question won't be CAN these coaches develope a young qb by MAXIMIZING their given talents or by correcting some of the said flaws but more of did they get the RIGHT qb to ELEVATE the franchise long term leader and talent wise.

9 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

I agree mostly. Good points. What bothers me about Ballard is that his comments and attitude are “What happens when the QB fails, I’ll get run out of the building.” Why think the QB is going to fail? Why not, “The QB I pick is gonna get us back in the playoffs!” That was my point — it’s like paralysis by analysis with him. Of course he wants his job, but his job entails taking big risks sometimes. The way he’s been doing it for six years hasn’t exactly been a huge success. 

Archived