Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will Likely trade to 1st

AustexColt

Irsay/Colts and the Bears are two organization which both families are very closely aligned. Expect the unexpected.

1- Only sure way to get your QB.

2- Eberflus will get his pick of defensive Colt players along with added draft picks

3- Defang Arizona and the Panthers as a threat.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Irsay/Colts and the Bears are two organization which both families are very closely aligned. Expect the unexpected.

2- Eberflus will get his pick of defensive Colt players along with added draft picks

The Bears will deal with the team that out bids the others. Just because you think the families are aligned doesn't mean much when it comes to business.  The Colts don't have near the draft capital that the Texans have.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Bears will deal with the team that out bids the others. Just because you think the families are aligned doesn't mean much when it comes to business.  The Colts don't have near the draft capital that the Texans have.

The Bears will probably trade with both the Texans and the Colts.  

If the Colts stand Pat at 4, the top three QBs will probably be gone.  Take a chance with Richardson?  Not sure Irsay would put up with a high risk, pay off later type of guy right now.  

I really hope the Colts do not trade up. There’s a very good chance that one or two of the three quarterbacks will be there at four of course there’s a chance other teams may draft ahead of us, but look at the downside. They’ll want one of our best players and draft picks. That is not a viable future if we stay at four it shouldn’t be a big deal not to get one of the quarterbacks but if they want someone like Richardson they can definitely trade down and still get him mad eight or nine therefore adding draft picks, it’s a tough decision what to do so we will see 

I dont want to trade up as i view the choices all about equal, each has a concern......the fact that Irsay joked about it, to me points to the fact THEY WONT trade with the Bears, pre-draft is all about guile and deception and Irsay has played that game for decades, cant believe he would let slip actual intentions......I do expect an unexpected development though.......either before or during the opening minutes of #1 being on the clock......just "feels" like that kind of a year......

11 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Already been discussed here for months… 

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

I really hope the Colts do not trade up. There’s a very good chance that one or two of the three quarterbacks will be there at four of course there’s a chance other teams may draft ahead of us, but look at the downside. They’ll want one of our best players and draft picks. That is not a viable future if we stay at four it shouldn’t be a big deal not to get one of the quarterbacks but if they want someone like Richardson they can definitely trade down and still get him mad eight or nine therefore adding draft picks, it’s a tough decision what to do so we will see 

That is just not a high football IQ thought IMO 

Historically, only 1, maybe 2, of the 4 QB’s will be really good.

The scouts get paid the big bucks to find the right QB. When they do, it is the GM’s job to make sure he gives the franchise a good shot at getting their guy. 

If the top QB’s on the Colts board are Young & Stroud (which I assume 95% of all boards will have them at the top), it would make no sense to stay at 4. 

I honestly don't care who the Colts draft as much as I care that they don't trade up. Giving up a ton of assets for the right to draft the 3rd best QB in the draft will set this franchise back another half decade or more. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The Bears will probably trade with both the Texans and the Colts.  

If the Colts stand Pat at 4, the top three QBs will probably be gone.  Take a chance with Richardson?  Not sure Irsay would put up with a high risk, pay off later type of guy right now.  

That all depends if the Colts value a QB enough to spend the draft capital to move up. We don't and won't know that till April 27th. There are so many different scenarios guessing is next to impossible. 

Despite what Ballard said in his press conference at the end of the year, I don't see him trading up unless he believes one of the top 4 QB's are marginally better than their competitors. I don't see anybody saying that about a particular QB right now. Maybe the combine will change that. I also know that Ballard loves his draft capital and is not going to burn it if he believes he can still get a decent QB at #4. Despite the vote of confidence from Irsay this year, Ballard knows he needs to get this decision right if he wants a long-term future with the Colts.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

My prediction.  Bears will fall in love with a quarterback and draft one with the 1st. pick, probably Young.  Houston will draft q quarterback.   Two of the top three gone.  Arizona will trade with Carolina and they take a quarterback.  We trade for Fields.  

I could live with that.  Especially If they'd take a 3.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

My prediction.  Bears will fall in love with a quarterback and draft one with the 1st. pick, probably Young.  Houston will draft q quarterback.   Two of the top three gone.  Arizona will trade with Carolina and they take a quarterback.  We trade for Fields.  

That would be dumb by bears. Young will not be good in Chicago with weather there. 

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

don't be to sure the Bears don't pick qb and trade Fields. People have to remember that Flus and the GM's jobs are on the line and they will not be able to survive another year where maybe  picking in the top 5. I truly believe that if Fields is their starter, they will have a top 5 pick next year. He is not the answer and the GM has had 17 games, practices and pre season to fully evaluate this guy. Say they pick  Young at #1 and that most likely gives them  2 more years. What would you do?  Plus, maybe they trade the # 1 back to #2 and still get their guy. U never know, they could trade all the way back to 4 and still get their man. It really depends on who they covet.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That would be dumb by bears. Young will not be good in Chicago with weather there. 

Doesn’t have to be Young necessarily.  Could be any one of them.  They are going to build a dome so it might not be a big deal for them when it comes to picking their new quarterback.  This is a rare opportunity for any team to get the 1st. pick.  I think they are going to do it.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Doesn’t have to be Young necessarily.  Could be any one of them.  They are going to build a dome so it might not be a big deal for them when it comes to picking their new quarterback.  This is a rare opportunity for any team to get the 1st. pick.  I think they are going to do it.

Just because he is slight doesnt mean he will not thrive in cold weather games.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That dome if that is what they do wont be done for awhile. 

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

don't be to sure the Bears don't pick qb and trade Fields. People have to remember that Flus and the GM's jobs are on the line and they will not be able to survive another year where maybe  picking in the top 5. I truly believe that if Fields is their starter, they will have a top 5 pick next year. He is not the answer and the GM has had 17 games, practices and pre season to fully evaluate this guy. Say they pick  Young at #1 and that most likely gives them  2 more years. What would you do?  Plus, maybe they trade the # 1 back to #2 and still get their guy. U never know, they could trade all the way back to 4 and still get their man. It really depends on who they covet.

Poles and eberflus didn’t draft Fields. Their jobs won’t be on the line. Lol. As long as they get a future first in a trade down they will protect themselves in case he doesn’t improve with better weapons.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That dome if that is what they do wont be done for awhile. 

True but the clock starts over with Young giving them two extra years.  Fields, who hates the cold, is a different story.  Do Flus or Poles want to risk their careers on Fields and his public disdain for cold weather?  Drafting a new quarterback at no 1. buys them more time.  When you lose your job is on the line.  Makes sense to try and win with your own guy than someone else’s.  I think they won’t be able to resist drafting a quarterback with the 1st pick knowing they can easily trade Fields and obtain more picks maybe even another 1st.  

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Poles and eberflus didn’t draft Fields. Their jobs won’t be on the line. Lol. As long as they get a future first in a trade down they will protect themselves in case he doesn’t improve with better weapons.

They didnt draft Feilds but i am not sure that if they got the # 1 pick in 2024 would mean they would have the opportunity to make that pick. Having a top 3 picks in back to back years is not only about not having the qb but screams of a team going in the wrong direction. I would say Flus and the GM would be expendable in those circumstances.

Personally - I don't see this happening.

Chris Ballard doesn't like to give up draft capital.  The last time the head coach talked him in to doing so - we got Carson Wentz - who may be without a team by March 15th.

One of Ballard's best drafting qualities is the ability to trust his scouts - and - be patient on draft day.

While I would love to see Justin Fields in Colts blue - I just don't think we "give away the candy store" to acquire him when we have the #4 overall pick.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm not sure about anything when it comes to what any team is going to do.  Neither is anyone else.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not sure about anything when it comes to what any team is going to do.  Neither is anyone else.  

agreed.  You have to wonder though. I am not a big believer in Feilds as i dont think he is a NFL franchise qb. If they go with him and trade out I think that may tell you what they think of the qb pool. U dont pass up on a franchise guy if you dont have one.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

agreed.  You have to wonder though. I am not a big believer in Feilds as i dont think he is a NFL franchise qb. If they go with him and trade out I think that may tell you what they think of the qb pool. U dont pass up on a franchise guy if you dont have one.

My opinion is I'm not too sure there is a QB in this draft that is a franchise QB. The so called draft gurus are all over the place. Young and Stroud seems to be the top two but yet neither is considered generational.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

My opinion is I'm not too sure there is a QB in this draft that is a franchise QB. The so called draft gurus are all over the place. Young and Stroud seems to be the top two but yet neither is considered generational.  

I think you’re right.  And that’s why I think if the Bears do draft a quarterback we will trade for Fields instead of drafting one of the remaining two quarterbacks assuming Houston takes one as well.  But if Chicago does decide to stay with Fields then Ballard might feel he really has to trade up and get his 1st choice.  A lot more risk involved accompanied with more draft capital to take that risk.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think you’re right.  And that’s why I think if the Bears do draft a quarterback we will trade for Fields instead of drafting one of the remaining two quarterbacks assuming Houston takes one as well.  But if Chicago does decide to stay with Fields then Ballard might feel he really has to trade up and get his 1st choice.  A lot more risk involved accompanied with more draft capital to take that risk.  

With the doubt that surrounds the top rated QBs of this draft I hope Ballard dont think he has to risk draft capital to move up. Yes, we have to find a QB but there are different ways to find a QB other than the draft. I understand fans wanting to draft a rookie QB but at what cost? 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nope not at all. I think all this talk of thr Colts moving  ip to number 1 to pick a guy like Uoung is foolish. 

22 hours ago, AustexColt said:

If they do it will be one of the worse moves of the Irsay era

On 2/21/2023 at 9:11 AM, coltsfeva said:

Some of this decision will be based on Steichen: if he thinks he can develop Levis or Richardson (which would be music to Ballard’s ears), they would probably stay at 4  or, gulp, trade down), at get one or the other and keep their picks.

I don't see a trade. If Young comes in around 200 and almost 6 feet, the Bears will pick him and trade Fields. I think that is a good as done.

On 2/20/2023 at 9:59 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Does anyone here actually think the Bears will trade the pick  if  Young  exceeds expectations and come in weighing close to 200 pounds and near six feet? I don't.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Does anyone here actually think the Bears will trade the pick  if  Young  exceeds expectations and come in weighing close to 200 pounds and near six feet?

You could be correct? 

I expect Young to come in around 200lbs but he will have a hard time growing a couple of inches between now and then.  :)

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You could be correct? 

I expect Young to come in around 200lbs but he will have a hard time growing a couple of inches between now and then.  :)

I don't think the Bears pass him  up if he comes in not to bad physically. Don't pass up a Franchise qb when u don't have one on the roster.

Archived