Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will Likely trade to 1st

AustexColt

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/20/2023 at 9:47 PM, AustexColt said:

Irsay/Colts and the Bears are two organization which both families are very closely aligned. Expect the unexpected.

1- Only sure way to get your QB.

2- Eberflus will get his pick of defensive Colt players along with added draft picks

3- Defang Arizona and the Panthers as a threat.

I agree with the sentiment that the Colts will move up to 1 overall.  It is the smart move because there are two QBs up top who warrant that high a selection (Levis & Stroud).  There are of course others who might do well in the NFL but to go in that top group you must meet certain metrics and the Colts must get this right.

Now if Irsay flails around about giving up high picks to get it done then there's no chance.  But I think he's in the right mental frame right now to go all-in on a move to the top to solve this problem.  Levis is gonna be the target.  He has the metrics physically, played in a pro style offense (WCO with pre-snap reads courtesy of Liam Coen), and will be a quick study in terms of already being exposed to pro elements and jargon.

If on the other hand the Colts don't move up, then they will find themselves looking at Bryce Young at their selection spot.  Will they convince themselves a 5'11" QB is the answer?  I hope not.  Young might end up being a player, but you don't take a guy who is missing things at that spot in the draft.  What you do is take the best player then position to get a QB who lacks something at an appropriate spot.  I'd go get Haener at that point, because as I have mentioned before he like Young has a size issue but he did not benefit from elite talent around him.

I like Stroud the best of the QBs just from what I have read...but... I don't follow college football real well either...Picking which QB to get has to drive a GMs blood pressure through the roof. I remember the 1998 draft when Manning and Leaf were considered the two QBs of the draft. The ESPN experts were stunned when the Colts "went with the name QB" and drafted Manning instead of the more durable Leaf. ESPN said we blew our chance....

I would rather stay at 4 and draft who is left of the QBs. 

I really don"t get the attraction of people on here to Levis he threw 23 interceptions in 2 yrs and that wasn"t even the top college teams ,hell he might throw 23 interceptions a year in the NFL witch stands for Not For Long as a famous coach once said .   Levis doesn"t play smart  throws in double coverage all the time,can not win in NFL doing that ,they to smart and quick.Levis is so good i am hoping he goes to houston  are defensive backs will love him.                         Just My Two Cents

Honestly - I would be MORE surprised to see the Colts TRADE UP for a QB - than I would if they traded down a few slots and still got the guy they wanted in the first place.

Depending on which "opinion" stories you read - the current rumor mill has the Colts associated with FIVE different QBs.

Wish I could get paid $$$ for sharing MY opinion!!

LOL

5 hours ago, SONAR said:

I really don"t get the attraction of people on here to Levis he threw 23 interceptions in 2 yrs and that wasn"t even the top college teams ,hell he might throw 23 interceptions a year in the NFL witch stands for Not For Long as a famous coach once said .   Levis doesn"t play smart  throws in double coverage all the time,can not win in NFL doing that ,they to smart and quick.Levis is so good i am hoping he goes to houston  are defensive backs will love him.                         Just My Two Cents

Welcome to the site. I don't see the attraction to Levis either. I watched the full games (not clips) of him play Georgia, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt and he was terrible. Vanderbilt isn't even that good. I wan't Young or Stroud.

23 hours ago, SONAR said:

I mean, I'm not big Levis guy either but what better competition did you want him to face other than the SEC?

23 hours ago, SONAR said:

The colt evaluators in interviews will determine if his int were the result of bad plays or just lack of weapons. They will go through his bad plays and ask him why he made the decision. Sometimes it’s the right play  but the outcome wasn’t what it was intended. He was much better in 21. In 22 his Oline was horrible and he was throwing to redshirt freshman.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:12 PM, SONAR said:

I recall a certain  number 1 pick throwing 28 interceptions his rookie year. 

I am coming to the conclusion there will be all kinds of leaks that colts want young. That will cause Texans to move up to one. In reality colts want stroud or Levis. I do not think colts are going to move to one. They will move to 2.3 or stay at four. I don’t think panthers are going to try to move to one either. They will move up to 5 and take whoever colts don’t take. Panthers could move to 3 so something colts will have to watch if they want stroud or Levis more.

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am coming to the conclusion there will be all kinds of leaks that colts want young. That will cause Texans to move up to one. In reality colts want stroud or Levis. I do not think colts are going to move to one. They will move to 2.3 or stay at four. I don’t think panthers are going to try to move to one either. They will move up to 5 and take whoever colts don’t take. Panthers could move to 3 so something colts will have to watch if they want stroud or Levis more.

I actually think the Colts would be fine letting the Texans trade to 1.  Then they could trade to 2 and it would cost less.  Better yet I think they would love it if the Bears drafted a quarterback and they could trade for Fields.  From a cost benefit analysis the acquisition of Fields would be the ideal sequence of events.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I actually think the Colts would be fine letting the Texans trade to 1.  Then they could trade to 2 and it would cost less.  Better yet I think they would love it if the Bears drafted a quarterback and they could trade for Fields.  From a cost benefit analysis the acquisition of Fields would be the ideal sequence of events.

No.

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Depends if they want the same qb then no

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Absolutely not.

59 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People are forgetting I think this draft comes down to Steichen. He may look at this draft and there maybe a guy like Hooker who he thinks he can win with. He may think the top 4 guys are really not that far from the bottom 4 and not with draft capital.

Big issue here is by using that 4th pick on another position there is no guarantee you get hooked at 35. Ballard and Steichen will not risk that.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, LHS1981 said:

I like Stroud the best of the QBs just from what I have read...but... I don't follow college football real well either...Picking which QB to get has to drive a GMs blood pressure through the roof. I remember the 1998 draft when Manning and Leaf were considered the two QBs of the draft. The ESPN experts were stunned when the Colts "went with the name QB" and drafted Manning instead of the more durable Leaf. ESPN said we blew our chance....

I would rather stay at 4 and draft who is left of the QBs. 

I don't remember anyone being "stunned"  or saying that Leaf was more durable.....  

Manning was widely acknowledged as the safe bet sure thing QB ....  Leaf was the "swing for the home run in the bottom of the ninth down two, two men on base". Or......a strikeout.

Who vilified the Colts for drafting Manning?  As I remember it, it was pretty widely acknowledged that they were close, but no one would have been surprised if the Chargers.would had taken Manning had they had the first pick....

But, maybe I am remembering it wrong?

8 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I don't remember anyone being "stunned"  or saying that Leaf was more durable.....  

Manning was widely acknowledged as the safe bet sure thing QB ....  Leaf was the "swing for the home run in the bottom of the ninth down two, two men on base". Or......a strikeout.

Who vilified the Colts for drafting Manning?  As I remember it, it was pretty widely acknowledged that they were close, but no one would have been surprised if the Chargers.would had taken Manning had they had the first pick....

But, maybe I am remembering it wrong?

I don’t think you’re misremembering.  I think the other poster is.    Was it unanimous for Manning?   I don’t think so.  But I think more favored him than not.  

I think the draft decision that had everyone stunned was taking Edgerin James instead of Ricky Williams.  That shocked a lot of people.  

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And it works for number 4 as well. Steichen  can say I can develop anyone or them.

But you may end up with no quarterback at all if you wait. Hooker does not give you anything different then at least 3 of these quarterbacks that will go top ten. So you don’t wait and up up with no QB.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yes.

U less you look at the longer term cost/benefit.

Fields is not going to be on a cost controlled contract for very long, that's one large component of taking a rookie for this particular team.  

So, really...  It's not as clear cut a cost proposition as you lay it out as.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think you’re misremembering.  I think the other poster is.    Was it unanimous for Manning?   I don’t think so.  But I think more favored him than not. 

Yeah, there were people saying maybe polian really wants Leaf, etc....subterfuge like gets talked about every year.... Luck/RG3, etc 

I don't think Polian or Irsay ever wanted anyone other than Manning once they started in depth scouting.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But you may end up with no quarterback at all if you wait. Hooker does not give you anything different then at least 3 of these quarterbacks that will go top ten. So you don’t wait and up up with no QB.

Eagles drafted Hurts in the 2nd round and no one yhiught of him as a franchise qb. I just think it is really silly to sell thr farm on any of these guys. 

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We’ll eagles got lucky he was there. I doubt they went into the draft targeting hurts. He was there so they took him.

Yup soxnocreawon ticsay that the Cokts could be targeting a sleeper. I don't see them in the market to move up to number 1 as Texans arecin their way and always will be. They may actually have to move ip to 2 or  3

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

There are rumblings the Colts will trade Johnathon Taylor his year. Heard it this week.

Odds are you heard it from media who are doing basic speculation.   Guessing.   

I’ve yet to see a story that makes the claim authoritatively.    

Is it possible?    Sure.   But is it likely?   No.

If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to admit it.   I’m just asking for a link.   Do you have one?    

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to admit it.   I’m just asking for a link.   Do you have one?    

It's amazes me some of the rumors I have read or heard about. 

I guess if you have seen some of the Bears scenarios the #1 pick is worth 2#1s, a couple of 2nds, a 3rd and a couple of players.  

:sarcasm:

13 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Bourbon or tequila?   

Lol. I hit the   return button before i had a chance to  edit. That's why    c a  lot of errors in my writing. My phone is really wonky when tying. It does that ever so often and then corrects itself after time.  It's really frustrating.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:11 AM, Boondoggle said:

I agree with the sentiment that the Colts will move up to 1 overall.  It is the smart move because there are two QBs up top who warrant that high a selection (Levis & Stroud).  There are of course others who might do well in the NFL but to go in that top group you must meet certain metrics and the Colts must get this right.

Now if Irsay flails around about giving up high picks to get it done then there's no chance.  But I think he's in the right mental frame right now to go all-in on a move to the top to solve this problem.  Levis is gonna be the target.  He has the metrics physically, played in a pro style offense (WCO with pre-snap reads courtesy of Liam Coen), and will be a quick study in terms of already being exposed to pro elements and jargon.

If on the other hand the Colts don't move up, then they will find themselves looking at Bryce Young at their selection spot.  Will they convince themselves a 5'11" QB is the answer?  I hope not.  Young might end up being a player, but you don't take a guy who is missing things at that spot in the draft.  What you do is take the best player then position to get a QB who lacks something at an appropriate spot.  I'd go get Haener at that point, because as I have mentioned before he like Young has a size issue but he did not benefit from elite talent around him.

How do  u for see the Colts moving past the Texans??

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed, there is an eternity of time filling on the networks. It is speculation, small talk, theories and guessing and yet I watch!!

17 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Look at Ballards track record. He does not like giving up draft capital. Look for the Colts to stay pat. I will beat this horse till the cows come home. Draft 2 qbs. 50/50 shot  at getting it right is better then putting all chips in and getting it wrong. 

It's not 50/50. The second qb taken has a historically much less chance of success. So if the first QB busts,  odds are you wasted 2 picks instead of 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It's not 50/50. The second qb taken has a historically much less chance of success. So if the first QB busts,  odds are you wasted 2 picks instead of 1

The Colts currently have no capable NFL starting QB's on their roster.  I guess Foles is the only capable starter on the team.   They have room to draft 2 QB's.  

Archived