Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

Stroud is number 1 on my board

I'm with ya

I think when Young is measured smaller than the college says, Stroud MIGHT be QB1

And.....  you know someone like the raiders (at 7) are going to offer multiple 1s and 2s to come up to 1

I think if the Colts do their DUE DILIGENCE on the QBs and Stroud is their guy........ You do what is needed

OR

If they evaluate all 4 QBs and the scouts think they are all reasonably close......  You let the draft come to you

Tough to call this one

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

He's falling fast every time he opens his mouth. 

Respectfully, ...........................I dont see that at all

6 hours ago, #12. said:

The tiger thing is a little silly, but he's only 21.  In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean much.

I brought it up and I agree.  Its silly.  So is this.......

If you wanna get all amateur psycho analytical about this, the way he talks and plays questions his desire to mix it up physically, IMO.   A tiger kills and succeeds because he's against weaker competition (like OSU had it).  Its not like the tiger is at risk of being hurt or killed by the deer or the goat.   Tigers have it pretty easy when up against their competition, all things considered.

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The 4 top QBs 

Richardson Levis Stroud Young 

Who would you compare them to in NFL currently 

(those are stylistic comps, not expectations for accomplishment and level of play)

Richardson ~ Josh Allen/Cam Newton/Justin Fields/Jalen Hurts

Levis - Dak Prescott pre-injuries? This is kind of hard one...maybe a bit Josh Allen... 

Bryce Young - Tua/Baker Mayfield

CJ Stroud - Jared Goff?

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The 4 top QBs 

Richardson Levis Stroud Young 

Who would you compare them to in NFL currently 

Lamar,Allen/Luck,Burrow,aaron rodgers/mahomes. Young directs wrs simlar to rodgers with off platform throws. Stroud has the accuracy of Burrow and similar running style. Levis is reckless with his body like Luck and has a few accuratecy issues like allen and a canon arm. Richardson is like a lamar jackson cam newton hybrid. Has a top 5 nfl arm, but needs work on mechanics

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Richardson=Malik Willis

Levis = Jacob Eason

Stroud = Fields

Young = Purdy

Stroud is a better passer than fields. Levis at his worst would be a more mobile version of eason. Richardson has faced better competition than willis coming out and has a stronger arm. Young more elusive than purdy

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

“If Will Anderson is Myles Garrett, then take him No. 1 and don’t even worry about it,” Rapoport said. “Don’t even think twice. “If you’re going to be a dominant franchise, you gotta have those guys that just disrupt everything.”

This…I don’t see Chicago trading out of the top 4.  They need a lot of help but you don’t pass on an all pro caliber defensive line player you can build your defense around.  Those guys are available to you once a decade. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

“If Will Anderson is Myles Garrett, then take him No. 1 and don’t even worry about it,” Rapoport said. “Don’t even think twice. “If you’re going to be a dominant franchise, you gotta have those guys that just disrupt everything.”

That's why if Stroud and Young are gone the Colts should take him if he is still there.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

Those aren't the only 2 QB's in the draft.   Trade back up and take one later   Or take one in the second.  

I wouldnt take a QB just to take a QB 

Colts can't afford to go through revolving door with QB spot. Nobody worth taking later.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Jaren hall, max duggan,hooker,jake hane, tanner mckee. If we went that route id go hall or hooker

Color me no. We have a top 4 pick. I want one of the top 4 QBs.

QB is the MOST important position on the field. He's the guy that makes you a super bowl contender or not. It's the position that has DEFINED our great teams. Unitas, Jones, Manning, Luck.

And you CANNOT guarantee, no matter how bad you are, you'll have a top 4 pick next year to solve the problem you ignore this year.

13 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I think Ballard knows he has to deviate from his normal drafting procedures this time around. I just can't see him drafting anyone other than Stroud, assuming no one gives up the farm.

Regardless of traits or what he truly believes Young Stroud Richardson and Levis all need to be on the table.

He can't walk away from this draft without a top QB. I would also consider Hooker on day 2 but he needs to show he is still a top notch QB during the combine.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Regardless of traits or what he truly believes Young Stroud Richardson and Levis all need to be on the table.

He can't walk away from this draft without a top QB. I would also consider Hooker on day 2 but he needs to show he is still a top notch QB during the combine.

How can hooker show that when he can’t work out?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Then it will depend how far he is progressing. Hooker was a 1st rounder before injury. 

Hooker is not going to be able to show scouts much of anything, at least not physically.   Not at the combine and not at his pro day.   He will not have had enough time to rehab.  

That’s why his place in the draft is like a game of Chicken.   If you want him, how soon will you be willing to spend a pick on him?    High-2nd?   Mid-2nd?   Late-2nd?

Or….  High-3rd?  Mid-3rd?  Or Late-3rd?

Which team wants Hooker the most?

Odds are, the team that drafts him won’t get him on the field in a regular season NFL game until 2024.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hooker is not going to be able to show scouts much of anything, at least not physically.   Not at the combine and not at his pro day.   He will not have had enough time to rehab.  

That’s why his place in the draft is like a game of Chicken.   If you want him, how soon will you be willing to spend a pick on him?    High-2nd?   Mid-2nd?   Late-2nd?

Or….  High-3rd?  Mid-3rd?  Or Late-3rd?

Which team wants Hooker the most?

Odds are, the team that drafts him won’t get him on the field in a regular season NFL game until 2024.   

His injury on top of his age hurt his stock so much. Knowing he might be around 26 or 27 before he officially starts could be devastating to his career. 

Some team out there on day 2 somewhere will take a chance on him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

His injury on top of his age hurt his stock so much. Knowing he might be around 26 or 27 before he officially starts could be devastating to his career. 

Some team out there on day 2 somewhere will take a chance on him. 

I think he’s hurt by the injury, the system he played in at Tennessee, plus his age.  

Maybe I should be more concerned about his age?   But these days QBs are playing to their mid to late 30’s.   So I think Hooker can still have a very good 10-12 year career.   And if you’re taking him on Day 2, I think that’s a great return on investment.  So he remains a favorite for me. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why was Bienemy not college material?

Im guessing he means academically.  Not a serious student.   

As for your request for links on Luck, I’m not ignoring you.  But my desk top has crashed and I can’t link by phone.   I’m trying to figure out something.  

But you’re telling me you searched……

Andrew Luck did not throw at 2012 NFL combine.      And nothing came up?   Odd, I had 3-4 links come up, maybe more.  Very strange. 

3 hours ago, Gigc said:

Color me no. We have a top 4 pick. I want one of the top 4 QBs.

QB is the MOST important position on the field. He's the guy that makes you a super bowl contender or not. It's the position that has DEFINED our great teams. Unitas, Jones, Manning, Luck.

...and none of the avail QBs in this year's draft are near any of those QBs in terms of talent. We could actually have a lower draft pick next year and a better chance at a franchise QB. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB, but as stated earlier don't draft one out of panic or out of an instant gratificiaton need. Play for the long haul. I also think it's hilarious that Richardson is being lumped in with the other three. Heck for that matter it's semi-amusing that Levis is really. Here's a guy who couldn't beat out Sean Clifford at Penn State. 

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

...and none of the avail QBs in this year's draft are near any of those QBs in terms of talent. We could actually have a lower draft pick next year and a better chance at a franchise QB. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB, but as stated earlier don't draft one out of panic or out of an instant gratificiaton need. Play for the long haul. 

It's not panic. We don't have one. It's necessity. And you cannot count on having a chance to pick the guy you want next year. Ask jets fans who watched Peyton decide to go back to Tennessee the year they had the number one pick. When you have the chance, swing away. Two strikes, you're swinging to make contact. 

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

I dont care about whether the qb runs. He clearly showed he could versus georgia. Qbs should be judged on how they pass and Stroud passes very well.

He is judged on his passing, but his lack of running is concerning. If Stroud had an injury in 2022 that inhibited his running, then his 2021 numbers should show at least some decent running numbers, and they aren't there.

OSU offense has a lot of opportunity for their qbs to pick up yards running on read option plays, beyond scrambling attempts that pick up yards. Justin Fields averaged 400 yards running in each of his 2 seasons at OSU, same hc and offense. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im guessing he means academically.  Not a serious student.   

As for your request for links on Luck, I’m not ignoring you.  But my desk top has crashed and I can’t link by phone.   I’m trying to figure out something.  

But you’re telling me you searched……

Andrew Luck did not throw at 2012 NFL combine.      And nothing came up?   Odd, I had 3-4 links come up, maybe more.  Very strange. 

I changed my search to include the Colts and I saw them.    Maybe the same is happening with the top guys in this draft

For some, mobile QB has come to mean rushing yards, not physical skill and the ability to do it.  I just watched two seasons of Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan and you're telling me Stroud is a pure pocket passer?   Even before the Georgia game, you could watch two minutes of Stroud and see he has the physical skill.  He moves very well.  

I’m in the camp of dealing down for a kings ransom somewhat like how Ballard did when moving down a few spots in the 2018 draft. I really want the flexibility of having multiple and possibly high 1sts in 2024 which seems to be a great QB class. There are still great prospects in this 2023 draft class you could get after a few trade downs (Christian Gonzalez, Will Levis, AR15 come to mind as need positions for Colts).

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

I’m in the camp of dealing down for a kings ransom somewhat like how Ballard did when moving down a few spots in the 2018 draft. I really want the flexibility of having multiple and possibly high 1sts in 2024 which seems to be a great QB class. There are still great prospects in this 2023 draft class you could get after a few trade downs (Christian Gonzalez, Will Levis, AR15 come to mind as need positions for Colts).

The problem with gambling on 2024 is you have no idea where Colts finish 

If a QB falls to 4 and you think are plenty capable to lead the team take them

If you feel strongly enough about 1 guy in particular by all means trade up