Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

25 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Let's pretend Bears address the OL  in FA and Draft then Fields has an average year passing again. 

Do you hit reset completely and try for Maye or Williams or do you stick with him  then turn the attention to defense?

If Fields crashes and burns next season, is trying to get a blue chip edge or DL really the highest priority at that point?  Presumably, all the holes on the offense were plugged the year before (ie: this year), so, in my opinion, the Bears scrape together whatever it takes to move up and get their next QB with everything else on offense in place.  Hopefully, with the 2024 draft picks they get trading out of #1 this year, that wont’t be such a heavy lift next year.   

however, I’m firmly of the belief that the Bears finally have their long sought after franchise QB, so I don’t see that scenario playing out.  (Fingers and toes crossed ;-)  And they’ll be using those picks for their next HOF QB sacker! 

6 minutes ago, Behr-34 said:

If Fields crashes and burns next season, is trying to get a blue chip edge or DL really the highest priority at that point?  Presumably, all the holes on the offense were plugged the year before (ie: this year), so, in my opinion, the Bears scrape together whatever it takes to move up and get their next QB with everything else on offense in place.  Hopefully, with the 2024 draft picks they get trading out of #1 this year, that wont’t be such a heavy lift next year.   

however, I’m firmly of the belief that the Bears finally have their long sought after franchise QB, so I don’t see that scenario playing out.  (Fingers and toes crossed ;-)  And they’ll be using those picks for their next HOF QB sacker! 

Fields showed great potential but this is the year he needs to prove he can win with his arm. If he doesn't it just adds to list of failed Chicago QBs.

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Fields showed great potential but this is the year he needs to prove he can win with his arm. If he doesn't it just adds to list of failed Chicago QBs.

I think he’ll be fine.  He has a couple weapons now.  Still not the highest quality of weapons but enough for him to show that he can make it happen with his arm.  I think he’ll end up using his legs more towards the end of the year when teams realize claypool and Moore can be handled. 

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

You mean the way that kid in Baltimore proved he couuld win with his arm on the way to NFL MVP.  :funny:   

Da Bears are short of weapons and OBVIOUSLY it takes time for a QB to trust and get his timing down with everyone. 

Fields isn't an *, he will be dangerous in a couple years and beyond.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

You mean the way that kid in Baltimore proved he couuld win with his arm on the way to NFL MVP.  :funny:   

Da Bears are short of weapons and OBVIOUSLY it takes time for a QB to trust and get his timing down with everyone. 

Lamar Jackson like Bears QBs have come nowhere near passing for 4K

This is a passing league and you won't get far if you don't have a good one

Lamar even got bounced immediately in playoffs his MVP year

I am sure Fields can turn into a dual threat and if that day comes I bet Chicago will be aiming for championships not MVPs

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Fields was a very good passer in college. He got hamstrung with Nagy for one year and this year they had no weapons and Oline. He is going to be just fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Fields was a very good passer in college. He got hamstrung with Nagy for one year and this year they had no weapons and Oline. He is going to be just fine.

As much as Bears fans love Fields if he throws around 2500 yards again and they are in position to get Maye or Williams they will most likely move on.

What's gonna be funny is if Fields goes to his next team and plays better

11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

As much as Bears fans love Fields if he throws around 2500 yards again and they are in position to get Maye or Williams they will most likely move on.

What's gonna be funny is if Fields goes to his next team and plays better

Fields is never going to throw for yards like mahomes because of his running ability. He just has to turn into a accurate passer and cut the running down some. If he can be accurate and be that dangerous runner that’s what bears are going to want. 

20 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I am not sure of his YPG passing but I'm sure its very low which needs to improve drastically

Would any of yall trade Q or Buckner to Chicago if it meant Colts kept their 24 1st?

In a hearbeat

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Things with Murray and AZ are not good.  Really can’t ignore the possibility they could draft one at 3.  I think the more likely route is they do what eagles did and take one as insurance in second or third but can’t rule out one at 3. 

Lucky for us Arizona also has several other pressing needs

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

That is why the GM was let go. That is why Kliff Kingsbury is chilling in some Aloha like destination knowing that not many coaches can make it work with Murray. That is why I think Mike Kafka becomes their HC because I don't see a Mike Zimmer type personality in Lou Anurumo working with Murray.

But the Cardinals are in a very very bad spot, to be honest, with the cap and they can't afford to take on another rookie QB if they want to salvage their investment with the big contract for Murray while re-signing other players.

At least, with Lamar Jackson, it is only contract issues but as a player and teammate, Lamar has been everything the Ravens have asked for.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

That’s why I think it will be more of the eagles route. They will give him one more year. If Kafka is hired maybe that will be good for him.  The fact he might not even be ready for season I bet makes them draft one at some point.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Huh. Chicago is going to trade that pick. Question is how far are they willing to move down.

I'm not questioning you... I just think it's a dumb decision by the Bears that's all.

Well it depends what they get obviously

Just now, Behr-34 said:

Ooooooooo….. like the sound of that.

I think it’s bears leaking that yo drive up the cost. Probably won’t work.

43 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

I'm not questioning you... I just think it's a dumb decision by the Bears that's all.

Well it depends what they get obviously

They can trade that pick and get a bunch more picks to get Oline. You don’t take Oline with the first overall pick.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it’s bears leaking that yo drive up the cost. Probably won’t work.

They can trade that pick and get a bunch more picks to get Oline. You don’t take Oline with the first overall pick.

Several teams have taken OL 1st overall

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Behr-34 said:

If  u like a  rb as  your qb then Fields is  your man.

On 2/7/2023 at 1:12 AM, NewColtsFan said:

You’ve mischaracterized the delayed gratification issue.   First, those weren’t my words, they were literally from Ballard.  Second, they were regarding guys like Paye and Dayo.   Those are hardly mid-level guys, though they apply to all rookies.  Most need at least a year,  so CB used the term.  

Go ahead and wait.   I’m not going thru 10 years of drafts to analyze every QB trade.  

To be clear, I have not said you’re wrong.  You might even be right.  But you have no facts.  All you have is an opinion, a hunch. 
Before I’m recognizing someone’s viewpoint, I’d like some facts.   

While Ballard was maybe talking about Paye and Dayo the conversation generally was also about getting improvement from our 2018/19 & 2020 draft classes. I think at the time you mentioned players like Blackmon, Rock, Banogu, Campbell, Okrereke, Willis, Turay and Lewis too. 

The article was about aggressive teams being successful in the modern NFL. I don't think that requires much more analysis than is in stated in there to be honest. I don't think it's controversial to say that many of the teams who are in the top echelons in the current standings and have had success over the last half dozen years have demonstrated aggressive tendencies. It doesn't mean that all aggressive teams are successful (obviously) but there are very few passive teams that are competing. 

Ive seen talk about Tenn potentially trying to move up but i think would be expensive. I could see them staying where they are at though. Or maybe moving a couple spots to take AR 15. I could totally see them taking him. Theyve already shown they are willing to show some patience with the Malik pick. However hes probably too much of a project for them. They could take AR 15, groom him behind Tannehill i assume and while being groomed take advantage of his skills as an athlete in the running game. Having to deal with him and Derrick Henry would be a nightmare!

On 2/7/2023 at 9:51 PM, Behr-34 said:

Who cares? Not Colts football.

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ive seen talk about Tenn potentially trying to move up but i think would be expensive. I could see them staying where they are at though. Or maybe moving a couple spots to take AR 15. I could totally see them taking him. Theyve already shown they are willing to show some patience with the Malik pick. However hes probably too much of a project for them. They could take AR 15, groom him behind Tannehill i assume and while being groomed take advantage of his skills as an athlete in the running game. Having to deal with him and Derrick Henry would be a nightmare!

I think Titans are out of reach for top QB unless they unload massive deal like 3 1s. They will go after Hendon Hooker day 2.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, craigerb said:

Who cares? Not Colts football.

He was responding to Colts fans who asked him questions about the Bears. 

The same Bears that the Colts might trade with.   A trade up for the first overall pick or a trade up for Fields.  

That’s who cares. 

With the comparison of the popular QBs to Hurts and Mahomes, should we not think about comparing them to Andrew Luck?

The most Luck like seems to be Levis.

He has the arm to make all of the throws while in the pocket or on the run.  He has the size to actually run well, and the desire (I think Stroud is a bit afraid to run, frankly).  He has the football intelligence, but also can make some boneheaded interceptions.  

Levis is probably less accurate than Luck and will commit excitable errors more frequently, but his suite of attributes and talents seem the most Luck like, IMO.

Do we have to move out of pick 4 to take Levis?

45 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think Titans are out of reach for top QB unless they unload massive deal like 3 1s. They will go after Hendon Hooker day 2.

I don't think AR15 goes that quickly to be honest.  I think the Titans could get him.

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

With the comparison of the popular QBs to Hurts and Mahomes, should we not think about comparing them to Andrew Luck?

The most Luck like seems to be Levis.

He has the arm to make all of the throws while in the pocket or on the run.  He has the size to actually run well, and the desire (I think Stroud is a bit afraid to run, frankly).  He has the football intelligence, but also can make some boneheaded interceptions.  

Levis is probably less accurate than Luck and will commit excitable errors more frequently, but his suite of attributes and talents seem the most Luck like, IMO.

Do we have to move out of pick 4 to take Levis?

All good questions. And none of them have concrete answers at the moment. We'll have to see how the combine and pro days go for a little bit more information.