Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What a dumb thing to say.   Compare's himself to a tiger.  Who is this guy, Michael Jackson?  Sometimes, an outward displays of toughness is simply a way to conceal deeply rooted wimpyness.   He's my number 1 QB in this draft still, but this stuff doesn't help.

If I care enough, I'll have to look at some tape to see what the scouts mean by saying he "crumples" under pressure.  Its not the same thing as failing under pressure.  It might imply that they think he would curl up into a fetal position if he had the time.  See if he ever delivers a blow or always cringes when contact happens.

There is nothing dumb about it. 

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is nothing dumb about it. 

Thinking of a Tiger when he thinks about how he approaches football is not something most football folks will connect with. 

With the description by some of him "crumpling" under pressure,  I wonder if that tiger he's thinking about isn't actually the stuffed animal he played Zoo with as a little boy.  ROOOAAAR.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Thinking of a Tiger when he thinks about how he approaches football is not something most football folks will connect with. 

With the description by some of him "crumpling" under pressure,  I wonder if that tiger he's thinking about isn't actually the stuffed animal he played Zoo with as a little boy.  ROOOAAAR.

Him being that confident is no different then manning telling colts I am going to kick your butt next 15 years if you don’t take me. It shows his competitiveness.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Him being that confident is no different then manning telling colts I am going to kick your butt next 15 years if you don’t take me. It shows his competitiveness.

PM spoke in football terms.  Stroud is trying to get the listener to relate to the jungle, or his stuffed animal collection.  If he would have used a metaphor like being as dedicated and hungry as a  Ukrainian Tank Commander or something it would have been related to at least something human.

Sorry, the Tiger thing just drops him some in my book.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

PM spoke in football terms.  Stroud is trying to get the listener to relate to the jungle, or his stuffed animal collection.  If he would have used a metaphor like being as dedicated and hungry as a  Ukrainian Tank Commander or something it would have been related to at least something human.

Sorry, the Tiger thing just drops him some in my book.

I think your over reacting.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think your over reacting.

Not any different than somebody overreacting to the positive when he said it.  If people are going to move him up a notch in their mind because said he wants to "kill it like a tiger", moving him down a notch because he said it is not an over reaction.   JMO.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

No he isn't.    

I meant relative to my opinion about him.  I don't need you to now tell me that my opinion doesn't mean anything to football GMs...duh...but sharing our opinions is a big part of what we talk about on this forum.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not any different than somebody overreacting to the positive when he said it.  If people are going to move him up a notch in their mind because said he wants to "kill it like a tiger", moving him down a notch because he said it is not an over reaction.   JMO.

Could be nervousness. Some people say weird things when the camera is directly on them. I’m not going to lower or raise his stock

based off of one comment. I’d rather look at it from a macro standpoint of his whole breadth. Does he consistently say things like this? Or was it just this one time?

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Could be nervousness. Some people say weird things when the camera is directly on them. I’m not going to lower or raise his stock

based off of one comment. I’d rather look at it from a macro standpoint of his whole breadth. Does he consistently say things like this? Or was it just this one time?

What I want to know about Stroud at this point is his mental toughness...willing to mix it up...tolerance for pain, so to speak.  Levis gets hurt because he takes contact to make the play.  Bryce Young seems to mix it up but has to protect his small body.  Stroud is 6'3" 220, and the knock on him all season was his lake of running and how he "crumples" under pressure.   Interesting use of the word.

He made plays in the UGA game, but did he really get hit hard and if he did, did he try to stand up to it at all?   Is his lack of running attempts during the season due to a general aversion for contact?  And is that aversion based upon him being smart in protecting his body or is it because he's afraid to take a hit because it hurts.   

He seems to be talking a little tougher than how people described his play during the season, so it makes me wonder.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What I want to know about Stroud at this point is his mental toughness...willing to mix it up...tolerance for pain, so to speak.  Levis gets hurt because he takes contact to make the play.  Bryce Young seems to mix it up but has to protect his small body.  Stroud is 6'3" 220, and the knock on him all season was his lake of running and how he "crumples" under pressure.   Interesting use of the word.

He made plays in the UGA game, but did he really get hit hard and if he did, did he try to stand up to it at all?   Is his lack of running attempts during the season due to a general aversion for contact?  And is that aversion based upon him being smart in protecting his body or is it because he's afraid to take a hit because it hurts.   

He seems to be talking a little tougher than how people described his play during the season, so it makes me wonder.

One thing we won’t be seeing will answer some of these questions. You can bet that teams will grill him on these things during the interviews at the combine. They’ll try their hardest to frustrate and confuse him to see how he responds. 

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Stroud did a interview yesterday. Said he played with a nagging injury all season which effected him using his legs.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Stroud did a interview yesterday. Said he played with a nagging injury all season which effected him using his legs.

Sounds kind of nonspecific.  Excuse like, as if he is sensitive to the truth as to why he chose not to run. 

I'm sure interviewers will drill down to have him describe the injury, and then see if its an injury that would have kept Young or Levis or Richardson or Tune or McKee or Hooker from using their legs.   We don't know of course. 

Maybe I'm just being harsh, but the different statements seem to direct a vibe in one direction so far.  JMO.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sounds kind of nonspecific.  Excuse like, as if he is sensitive to the truth as to why he chose not to run. 

I'm sure interviewers will drill down to have him describe the injury, and then see if its an injury that would have kept Young or Levis or Richardson or Tune or McKee or Hooker from using their legs.   We don't know of course. 

Maybe I'm just being harsh, but the different statements seem to direct a vibe in one direction so far.  JMO.

Just listen to the entire interview. He clearly said no excuses and  no matter what he’s needed to play Better. I think your being too harsh.

55 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I guess my issue with that is he didn't run in 2021 either. 32 runs for -20 yards. 

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Andrew didn't throw at the combine either

So….   I looked it up.   Googled it. 

Andrew Luck didn’t throw at the 2012 NFL Combine.

Interesting what came back.   Luck was willing to throw.   He had planned to throw. And it was the Colts that told him NOT to.  They said he could relax and just throw at his Pro Day. 

And it was widely reported.  There was a Kravitz tweet and it was picked up and reported by a variety of mainstream media outlets.   

The thinking was the Colts had already made their decision to take him,  they didn’t need anymore evidence of what he could or couldn’t do. 

Glad you brought this up.  I had forgotten this.  It was interesting to re-visit it. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To be clear.   The 168 was likely Young as a freshman.   It’s not his weight now.   

He has a small frame.  If you see him on a post-game setting he looks slender or slim.   Not the type of body you typically see on a modern NFL quarterback.  Word is he’s trying right now to out on some muscle.  That ought to be interesting.  His weigh-in will be of huge interest to scouts. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

It sounds fake.  Like he's trying to project confidence from memorizing clichés rather than actually having it in the heart.  JMO.

Stroud as our qb would be as big as burrow for the bengals. Ive saw all I needed to see when he faced georgia. I actually like that he rarely choose to run even though he is clearly capable of doing so. That keeps his bodu fresh for the nfl.

25 minutes ago, ColtV said:

I guess my issue with that is he didn't run in 2021 either. 32 runs for -20 yards. 

I dont care about whether the qb runs. He clearly showed he could versus georgia. Qbs should be judged on how they pass and Stroud passes very well.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Stroud as our qb would be as big as burrow for the bengals. Ive saw all I needed to see when he faced georgia. I actually like that he rarely choose to run even though he is clearly capable of doing so. That keeps his bodu fresh for the nfl.

I want someone who throws first and only used legs to create when they have too. Rather then leaving the pocket first.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just listen to the entire interview. He clearly said no excuses and  no matter what he’s needed to play Better. I think your being too harsh.

I did.  Stroud is fine.  He's the #1 Qb and I would trade up to 3 to take him.  I haven't wanted to trade to #1.  Nothing has changed.

But if you asked me if the interview enhanced his position in my eyes, no it didn't, and it didn't help settle some of the concerns.  But he's just a kid giving an interview, not a big deal. 

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The issue is not running per se.  The issue is he scared too.  Remember David Carr....shell shocked when the pass rush comes.  There wasn't ever much of a pass rush against him this year.  If Stroud "crumples" under defensive pressure, how is he going to react to NFL dlinemen coming at him?  Will he stand in there to deliver the ball and take the hit...or protect himself a little too much to where he won't make the play.

I don't think there are those questions with Young, even though he is quite a bit smaller and has a good reason.  And its definitely not a question with Levis. 

This isn't a big deal, but its a question mark for me at this time.

11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The 4 top QBs 

Richardson Levis Stroud Young 

Who would you compare them to in NFL currently 

Lamar, Wentz, and Young would be Purdy.

I'm still trying to figure out Stroud.  

He might be a lot like JB, except actually throws the ball and throws it well.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I meant relative to my opinion about him.  I don't need you to now tell me that my opinion doesn't mean anything to football GMs...duh...but sharing our opinions is a big part of what we talk about on this forum.

Yeah  no one cares about your opinion.   It's as accurate as your take on Marijuana 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah  no one cares about your opinion.   It's as accurate as your take on Marijuana 

Golly, as if your judgment of what others think of me is somehow interesting to anybody. 

But I'm right about pot too.  And that Bienemy was never really "college material" to begin with...he just happened to go to college.  Your bad take of the world just can't keep up.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

So….   I looked it up.   Googled it. 

Andrew Luck didn’t throw at the 2012 NFL Combine.

Interesting what came back.   Luck was willing to throw.   He had planned to throw. And it was the Colts that told him NOT to.  They said he could relax and just throw at his Pro Day. 

And it was widely reported.  There was a Kravitz tweet and it was picked up and reported by a variety of mainstream media outlets.   

The thinking was the Colts had already made their decision to take him,  they didn’t need anymore evidence of what he could or couldn’t do. 

Glad you brought this up.  I had forgotten this.  It was interesting to re-visit it. 

Hmm.  I'm not seeing that.   Can you post some links

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Golly, as if your judgment of what others think of me is somehow interesting to anybody. 

But I'm right about pot too.  And that Bienemy was never really "college material" to begin with...he just happened to go to college.  Your bad take of the world just can't keep up.

You think Eric Bienemy wasn't college material based on what?

He had 2000 yards rushing and 30 tds his senior year in high school?

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

You think Eric Bienemy wasn't college material based on what?

He had 2000 yards rushing and 30 tds his senior year in high school?

LOL.  If you stop trying to one-up people with your stupid confrontational quotes, as usual, the thread can go back on topic.

Archived