Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s talking to you!   Honestly.   He’s trying to reach you!   

He is talking about trade proposals and how stupid bears fans think the draft compensation will be. He came out today and said that Matt Miller’s trade compensation in his story  today was about right. No he isn’t talking to me. He is talking to bears fans.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The rumor is the Cardinals don’t want to move out of range to get Carter or Anderson.

Especially if they hire Lou Anurumo or Brian Flores, both defensive coaches. Those are 2 of their final 3, the only offensive guy being Mike Kafka.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is talking about trade proposals and how stupid bears fans think the draft compensation will be. He came out today and said that Matt Miller’s trade compensation in his story  today was about right. No he isn’t talking to me. He is talking to bears fans.

He is talking to ANY FANS who don’t understand draft pick trade compensation.   Yes, as a Bears writer he’s primarily talking to Chicago fans.  But you think it’s only Chicago fans who don’t understand proper compensation?  

Fans of all teams (including Colts fans) don’t understand proper compensation.   That also means he’s taking to fans here and you’re one of them. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He is talking to ANY FANS who don’t understand draft pick trade compensation.   Yes, as a Bears writer he’s primarily talking to Chicago fans.  But you think it’s only Chicago fans who don’t understand proper compensation?  

Fans of all teams (including Colts fans) don’t understand proper compensation.   That also means he’s taking to fans here and you’re one of them. 

I have never talked compensation or do I have any knowledge to know what would be appropriate.  I don’t know why you even said that about me.  Whatever the compensation is it’s what it is. You could of said he was talking to fans instead of saying he was talking to me.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have never talked compensation or do I have any knowledge to know what would be appropriate.  I don’t know why you even said that about me.  Whatever the compensation is it’s what it is. You could of said he was talking to fans instead of saying he was talking to me.

Fine.   When I said you, I meant all of us including you.   Sorry, my poor wording.   My bad. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Bears dreaming.  Honestly if Houston goes up to number one I doubt the Colts move at all.  The Bears will take one of the defensive players and the Colts can get the third QB at four at worst.

The Bears would trade out of the #2 spot as well, and the Colts would have to deal if they wanted one of the top 2.

i also think the Bears would be perfectly happy taking the top offensive tackle at 9 if they could get a double trade down.  

consider:  if the Bears can get next year’s #1 from Houston, and next year’s #1 from, say, the Raiders… the Bears could easily have the number 1 pick in next year’s draft (who thinks houston is going to do any better with a rookie QB?), another top 10 ten with their own, and probably a mid 1st rounder with the Raiders pick.  And then all this trade talk starts all over again in 2024!

6 minutes ago, Behr-34 said:

The Bears would trade out of the #2 spot as well, and the Colts would have to deal if they wanted one of the top 2.

i also think the Bears would be perfectly happy taking the top offensive tackle at 9 if they could get a double trade down.  

consider:  if the Bears can get next year’s #1 from Houston, and next year’s #1 from, say, the Raiders… the Bears could easily have the number 1 pick in next year’s draft (who thinks houston is going to do any better with a rookie QB?), another top 10 ten with their own, and probably a mid 1st rounder with the Raiders pick.  And then all this trade talk starts all over again in 2024!

I doubt Houston I is giving up a first to move up one spot.

1 hour ago, Behr-34 said:

Doubt it,  I think the Bears want one Of the two defensive studs in this draft.  I think their fans are getting greedy and thinking they can move back twice.  I don’t think so.  Also, I think you are going to see the top three grade out about the same which means unless the Colts decide someone is the next Peyton manning they can probably stay at four and get one.  At worst they would have to trade up one spot to three and still get one.  If they do decide someone is the next Peyton Manning they will try to go up to 1 to make sure they get him.  There is no real scenario where the Texans go to one and the Colts then come up to two.  At that point they would just go to three if they had too.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Doubt it,  I think the Bears want one Of the two defensive studs in this draft.  I think their fans are getting greedy and thinking they can move back twice.  I don’t think so.  Also, I think you are going to see the top three grade out about the same which means unless the Colts decide someone is the next Peyton manning they can probably stay at four and get one.  At worst they would have to trade up one spot to three and still get one.  If they do decide someone is the next Peyton Manning they will try to go up to 1 to make sure they get him.  There is no real scenario where the Texans go to one and the Colts then come up to two.  At that point they would just go to three if they had too.

Well, I think your wrong.  I think the number one goal is to give Fields protection and the Bears brass is doing a great job with disguising that.  A double trade getting a nice haul AND  the best OT in the draft would do nicely… plenty of cap to go after proven D-line in FA, and with next years #1’s. 

21 minutes ago, Behr-34 said:

Well, I think your wrong.  I think the number one goal is to give Fields protection and the Bears brass is doing a great job with disguising that.  A double trade getting a nice haul AND  the best OT in the draft would do nicely… plenty of cap to go after proven D-line in FA, and with next years #1’s. 

I expect the Bears to only trade down once. You can a blue chip guy at 2 or 4 and still get great value with other picks. 

I expect Chicago to draft Carter or Anderson then fix OL in FA

If Chicago wants to maximize the first overall pick, they would trade down twice. 

First with Houston, going from one to two and getting multiple picks. 

Then trade down again with the Colts who move up to two and the Bears pick up more multiple picks.   

Chicago will have added extra picks this year and next setting themselves up for a nice haul in a 2-year draft run. 

If the Colts are not set on one QB they must have, this would be the most ideal scenario where the Colts have to trade up.  It wouldn’t be as expensive.  The only thing better for Indy would be if the team is convinced a QB they like will be there at 4 and they can sit tight.   

8 hours ago, Behr-34 said:

This article gives a great breakdown of who the Bears could realistically get in Free Agency for D-line and linebackers with the most cap space in the league:

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/2/6/23585712/chicago-bears-free-agency-extravaganza-defense-daron-payne-trumaine-edmunds-tj-nfl-offseason-2023

It mentions Dline being a big concern for DaBears.  In addition to FAs, it says that Defo Buckner could be a trade target that Flus would want.

58 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It mentions Dline being a big concern for DaBears.  In addition to FAs, it says that Defo Buckner could be a trade target that Flus would want.

If giving up Buckner and Kenny Moore and a future 1st exempts us from giving other picks, I am game for it at this point. Buckner has 2-3 good years in him and it would take us a good 2-3 years to become a SB contender with a rookie QB, IMO. I still think the Bears would want a future 1st.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If giving up Buckner and Kenny Moore and a future 1st exempts us from giving other picks, I am game for it at this point. Buckner has 2-3 good years in him and it would take us a good 2-3 years to become a SB contender with a rookie QB, IMO. I still think the Bears would want a future 1st.

Yep plus I think we are in a good spot with Dayo and how he has progressed.  

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I'm torn as to how much I would trade away.  The rookie QB has to have some semblance of a football team around him.   Vets like Nelson, Leonard, and Smith are going to stay, an I wonder if that's enough.

The article seemed to imply that Flus likes Buckner...that he could be targeted.  If we could get premium value for Buck because of Flus, I would definitely trade him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep plus I think we are in a good spot with Dayo and how he has progressed.  

He’s pretty meh IMo.  Doesn’t mean I’m not hopeful he’ll improve, but I haven’t seen much out of him that makes me tingly.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He’s pretty meh IMo.  Doesn’t mean I’m not hopeful he’ll improve, but I haven’t seen much out of him that makes me tingly.

He was really good 2nd half of season. I like the progress he has made. If we do keep Bradley I doubt we are trading Buckner. They will try to keep the defense together.

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was really good 2nd half of season. I like the progress he has made. If we do keep Bradley I doubt we are trading Buckner. They will try to keep the defense together.

Like I said I’m not unhopeful.  Hes JAG right now.  Jags are important.    I think of his play so far as adequate.  You need guys that are adequate but they spent a higher type pick on an injured player so they hope for more than that.

We will see.

I think it’s likely a bad move not to trade Gilmore and shop Buckner.  

38 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Like I said I’m not unhopeful.  Hes JAG right now.  Jags are important.    I think of his play so far as adequate.  You need guys that are adequate but they spent a higher type pick on an injured player so they hope for more than that.

We will see.

I think it’s likely a bad move not to trade Gilmore and shop Buckner.  

Defensive ends are usually slower to develop. Then add he basically had a year where he didn’t play half the season imagine he has been slower. This coming year will be big for him.

19 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I expect the Bears to only trade down once. You can a blue chip guy at 2 or 4 and still get great value with other picks. 

I expect Chicago to draft Carter or Anderson then fix OL in FA

This article follows my line of thinking as far as making protection of Fields the top priority.  And if the Bears do go for an O-lineman, I don’t think they have to land in the Top 5:

“4. Chicago Bears: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia (Projected Trade with Indianapolis)

The Bears pick a blue chip offensive tackle prospect in Broderick Jones (scouting report) who will protect the passer and move people in the run game. The Bears would be committing to Justin Fields in this scenario, so protecting him should be their first priority”

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/2/7/23589995/chicago-bears-2023-nfl-draft-mocking-mock-broderick-jones-trade-back-jonathan-mingo-zach-harrison

6 minutes ago, Behr-34 said:

This article follows my line of thinking as far as making protection of Fields the top priority.  And if the Bears do go for an O-lineman, I don’t think they have to land in the Top 5:

“4. Chicago Bears: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia (Projected Trade with Indianapolis)

The Bears pick a blue chip offensive tackle prospect in Broderick Jones (scouting report) who will protect the passer and move people in the run game. The Bears would be committing to Justin Fields in this scenario, so protecting him should be their first priority”

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/2/7/23589995/chicago-bears-2023-nfl-draft-mocking-mock-broderick-jones-trade-back-jonathan-mingo-zach-harrison

I am reading also where bears are going.to go hard in FA on the Oline. Sounds like they want some proven players there.

28 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am reading also where bears are going.to go hard in FA on the Oline. Sounds like they want some proven players there.

yes, I have seen the same.  There's a lot of holes on the Bears O-Line to plug.  I see them grabbing a blue chipper OL in the 1st and plugging in a few more in Free agency.

The Offense has to be fixed this year to be able to truly evaluate where Fields is heading.  They’ll still be able to plug some defensive holes in the draft and with FA’s, but there’s alway’s next year to get that stud edge or D-lineman if necessary.  

3 hours ago, Behr-34 said:

yes, I have seen the same.  There's a lot of holes on the Bears O-Line to plug.  I see them grabbing a blue chipper OL in the 1st and plugging in a few more in Free agency.

The Offense has to be fixed this year to be able to truly evaluate where Fields is heading.  They’ll still be able to plug some defensive holes in the draft and with FA’s, but there’s alway’s next year to get that stud edge or D-lineman if necessary.  

Let's pretend Bears address the OL  in FA and Draft then Fields has an average year passing again. 

Do you hit reset completely and try for Maye or Williams or do you stick with him  then turn the attention to defense?