Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

5 hours ago, ColtV said:

He is judged on his passing, but his lack of running is concerning. If Stroud had an injury in 2022 that inhibited his running, then his 2021 numbers should show at least some decent running numbers, and they aren't there.

OSU offense has a lot of opportunity for their qbs to pick up yards running on read option plays, beyond scrambling attempts that pick up yards. Justin Fields averaged 400 yards running in each of his 2 seasons at OSU, same hc and offense. 

Im not concerned about his running. The Georgia game shows he can run when needed. Strouds success or failure will not be predicated on if he runs.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Gigc said:

Color me no. We have a top 4 pick. I want one of the top 4 QBs.

QB is the MOST important position on the field. He's the guy that makes you a super bowl contender or not. It's the position that has DEFINED our great teams. Unitas, Jones, Manning, Luck.

And you CANNOT guarantee, no matter how bad you are, you'll have a top 4 pick next year to solve the problem you ignore this year.

Yes. I agree it's the most important position.  And if there were a QB in this draft that is just a must have then yes draft him.  I don't see any that are going to be great. So if were going to end up with a Jared Goff and pass on a Mies Garrett. I'd take Miles Garrett     We can get that Jared Goff QB in the second round or later in the 1st by trading back up.  And still have Andersen at 4 if he's there making the whole team better. 

53 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Yes. I agree it's the most important position.  And if there were a QB in this draft that is just a must have then yes draft him.  I don't see any that are going to be great. So if were going to end up with a Jared Goff and pass on a Mies Garrett. I'd take Miles Garrett     We can get that Jared Goff QB in the second round or later in the 1st by trading back up.  And still have Andersen at 4 if he's there making the whole team better. 

Annnnnd therein lies the fallacy. Goff, that "second round QB," was the first OVERALL pick in the 2016 draft. There were 15 qbs chosen in that draft. The "nugget" QB in that draft was Dak prescott who was chosen I think 8th qb overall and in the 4th round. That means 2 things. First every team in the league missed on him like 4 times. And two, you would have to select a QB in every round --- at least through the first 4 in 2016 ---- to have had a chance to find prescott. There are misses in every round. But you can't rely on finding a franchise QB outside of round one unless you have some kind of crystal ball. NFL scouts are not dumb

If the second, third or fourth round d were the "money round" for franchise QBs they wouldn't pick any in round one. They'd wait, right? But they don't. Swing away. I'll quit now.

15 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

That's why if Stroud and Young are gone the Colts should take him if he is still there.    

I agree 100% that this should at LEAST be considered 

Hendon Hooker will be there in round 2

If we love Richardson and you went DE you MAY be able trade into late 1st to get him

I have said this many times, but IMHO, there is only ONE option. Will Levis.  Young is good but just too frail.  I love Tua but look how often he gets hurt.  Just too slightly built.  And I really wish you all pushing for CJ Stroud would  REALLY think that over.  When is the last time an Ohio State QB was successful in the NFL?  They have basically been an all star team for the last 8 years.  Stroud's WRs get more seperation downfield than any other team.  He is rarely rushed.  You REALLY have to take into a consideration that MOST QBs will look better if you receivers are wide open, you have a great O-Line, and you can run the ball. But what really bothers me is, statistically, how badly Stroud is against the blitz this last year.  As we have seen, the Colts couldn't pick up the blitz and look how teams smelled blood and just attacked that. That is what is what they will do with Stroud.  I predict he will be a mediore, mid level QB AT BEST.  Probably probably a bust.

Levis could be a bust too.  I hate it when people say "draft our next franchise QB".  How the heck do we know they will end up being a franchise QB? That only happens 20% of the time with first round picks, no matter how high.  Were Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen "franchise QBs" just because they were drafted high?  Levis has work to do. But what we DO know about him is he is playing hurt, with a depeleted o-line, weapons gone, new offensive coordinator, and pressured more than any QB in the Big Ten.  And he put up decent numbers. So we KNOW he can respond to adversity.  Plus, he has every single physical tool you would want in a QB.  Physically, he is flawless. He has a huge arm, quick release, nice touch, and very mobile.  We won't get many chances at a guy like this, so I say take a swing. Maybe he busts. But I think he has a better chance than Stroud.

When I hear about Richardson, I just shake my head. Here is a guy who is SO RAW, he will probably have to sit on a bench for three years.  I predict the guy is a miserable failure in the NFL.  He is too inaccurate.  I don't see that getting better.  I wouldn't touch him unless he was a 7th round pick.

5 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I have said this many times, but IMHO, there is only ONE option. Will Levis.  Young is good but just too frail.  I love Tua but look how often he gets hurt.  Just too slightly built.  And I really wish you all pushing for CJ Stroud would  REALLY think that over.  When is the last time an Ohio State QB was successful in the NFL?  They have basically been an all star team for the last 8 years.  Stroud's WRs get more seperation downfield than any other team.  He is rarely rushed.  You REALLY have to take into a consideration that MOST QBs will look better if you receivers are wide open, you have a great O-Line, and you can run the ball. But what really bothers me is, statistically, how badly Stroud is against the blitz this last year.  As we have seen, the Colts couldn't pick up the blitz and look how teams smelled blood and just attacked that. That is what is what they will do with Stroud.  I predict he will be a mediore, mid level QB AT BEST.  Probably probably a bust.

Levis could be a bust too.  I hate it when people say "draft our next franchise QB".  How the heck do we know they will end up being a franchise QB? That only happens 20% of the time with first round picks, no matter how high.  Were Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen "franchise QBs" just because they were drafted high?  Levis has work to do. But what we DO know about him is he is playing hurt, with a depeleted o-line, weapons gone, new offensive coordinator, and pressured more than any QB in the Big Ten.  And he put up decent numbers. So we KNOW he can respond to adversity.  Plus, he has every single physical tool you would want in a QB.  Physically, he is flawless. He has a huge arm, quick release, nice touch, and very mobile.  We won't get many chances at a guy like this, so I say take a swing. Maybe he busts. But I think he has a better chance than Stroud.

When I hear about Richardson, I just shake my head. Here is a guy who is SO RAW, he will probably have to sit on a bench for three years.  I predict the guy is a miserable failure in the NFL.  He is too inaccurate.  I don't see that getting better.  I wouldn't touch him unless he was a 7th round pick.

If Steichen becomes our coach I think the odds jump that our pick would be either Levis or Stroud.  Hopefully Levis.

14 hours ago, Gigc said:

It's not panic. We don't have one. It's necessity. And you cannot count on having a chance to pick the guy you want next year. Ask jets fans who watched Peyton decide to go back to Tennessee the year they had the number one pick. When you have the chance, swing away. Two strikes, you're swinging to make contact. 

A reasonable viewpoint, there are no guarantees. But they don't have to pick one with that first rounder, although the pressure on Ballard to do so is so intense I think he will if for no other reason than to save his skin. But given the IMO underwhelming options, if they can trade down and get a ton for it for a team that DOES panic, I think that is the smart move. Then they can move up next year if necessary even if they have a lower pick.

But trading up would be the very dumbest thing he could do given the cost and no surefire QB available. THAT would be panic.

With Ryan’s now the Texans HC. It would be funny if they took Anderson at two. Then used that 12th pick to move back up to 3 with cardinals for young. I don’t know if that is realistic but what a draft that would be. If colts moved up to one and took stroud that would be a heck of a move by Texans. That could set cardinals up for a QB in 24 if Murray fails under the new HC.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Levis does not seem like a Steichen guy. Richardson more then Levis.

They're not drafting Richardson. 

It's Jordan Love 2.0, when this forum had us moving up into the top 10 to select him over Herbert.

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

I have said this many times, but IMHO, there is only ONE option. Will Levis.  Young is good but just too frail.  I love Tua but look how often he gets hurt.  Just too slightly built.  And I really wish you all pushing for CJ Stroud would  REALLY think that over.  When is the last time an Ohio State QB was successful in the NFL?  

Man… I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan but don’t you remember Art Schlichter  ? 

Don’t you remember all the Super Bowls that he led the Colts to?

In all seriousness the play against Georgia answered any and every question that I had about Stroud

Could he bust.   Absolutely 

Any or ALL of the top 4 or 5 QBs could bust

you have to do your testing and interview every kid.  As you mention this is a lottery…..if you feel like one is above the other you make your move

Will be interesting how things will shake out. If I'm Poles, I'd be on the phone with Texans & Colts every day telling them they would have to face the QB they had a chance to take for the next 10 years. I'd also be on the phone with Frank Reich telling him he has a chance to jump to #1 and screw the team that fired him.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good for Carr screwing the raiders after how they treated him. He would be best served to wait until after the draft to see who doesn’t get a QB.

One more team with increased incentive to trade ahead of us in the draft. Or... to trade for a QB(Rodgers/Lamar?)

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

One more team with increased incentive to trade ahead of us in the draft. Or... to trade for a QB(Rodgers/Lamar?)

It wouldn’t be good for colts if he waited. But i think for him it might be good. There might be some team that missed on a QB come into the picture after the draft that isn’t there right now.

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree 100% that this should at LEAST be considered 

Hendon Hooker will be there in round 2

If we love Richardson and you went DE you MAY be able trade into late 1st to get him

Agreed . I  can  see a scenario like that playing out.  Very much like  the Ravens did with Lamar. I think the Carr situation is interesting  to watch. I expect the Panthers to sign him; just a feeling. If the do,  I think that says a lot about the top of the draft with regards to qb talent. That's why I don't by the Colts moving up. 

6 hours ago, Gigc said:

Annnnnd therein lies the fallacy. Goff, that "second round QB," was the first OVERALL pick in the 2016 draft. There were 15 qbs chosen in that draft. The "nugget" QB in that draft was Dak prescott who was chosen I think 8th qb overall and in the 4th round. That means 2 things. First every team in the league missed on him like 4 times. And two, you would have to select a QB in every round --- at least through the first 4 in 2016 ---- to have had a chance to find prescott. There are misses in every round. But you can't rely on finding a franchise QB outside of round one unless you have some kind of crystal ball. NFL scouts are not dumb

If the second, third or fourth round d were the "money round" for franchise QBs they wouldn't pick any in round one. They'd wait, right? But they don't. Swing away. I'll quit now.

Thanks for making my point.   Goff was taken 1 overall and did not measure up to the hype.    I say take the BPA unless Stroud or Young are there  and go for that NUGGET.   because I do not see a runaway can't miss in this draft   Give me Miles Garret and Dak     Dak being Hooker or Richardson.  

I know its not the popular opinion of QB no matter what   But my thought is team first QB is important but not so important you waste the pick 

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good for Carr screwing the raiders after how they treated him. He would be best served to wait until after the draft to see who doesn’t get a QB.

The fact remains the Saints were willing to trade for Carr and his huge contract.  Carr is only 31.  Teams are lining up to trade for 39 year old Aaron Rodgers.  How can that be?  These quarterbacks are retreads.  They have seen what happened to the Colts the last three years with retreads.  Yet they are not afraid.  How can that be? Payton signed with Denver to coach another retread in Russell Wilson.  Seriously.  Omg another retread Geno Smith is going resign with Seattle and get a huge contract.  What’s going on with these retreads?  Don’t they see what happened to the Colts and our retreads.  Don’t they know you have to draft a quarterback to have any chance of winning a Super Bowl.  And the higher the pick the better.  That’s how it is done.  The league is having a hard time grasping that concept.  You can not win with retreads.  Period.  Btw.  Who was the quarterback who won the Super Bowl with the Rams a couple of years ago?  I can never remember his name.

4 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I disagree with your assessment. Stroud has thrown wrs open on a few occassions. He wont be a bust if paired with Steichen. As for Richardson you only take him if he responds well to coaching. Richardson accuracy issues are a product of his mechanics that can be fixed.

23 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I think Stroud and Young dont really have a close comparison in the league now.

Levis is Josh Allen that has further to go than he did coming into the league

Stroud is burrow young is rodgers

55 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The fact remains the Saints were willing to trade for Carr and his huge contract.  Carr is only 31.  Teams are lining up to trade for 39 year old Aaron Rodgers.  How can that be?  These quarterbacks are retreads.  They have seen what happened to the Colts the last three years with retreads.  Yet they are not afraid.  How can that be? Payton signed with Denver to coach another retread in Russell Wilson.  Seriously.  Omg another retread Geno Smith is going resign with Seattle and get a huge contract.  What’s going on with these retreads?  Don’t they see what happened to the Colts and our retreads.  Don’t they know you have to draft a quarterback to have any chance of winning a Super Bowl.  And the higher the pick the better.  That’s how it is done.  The league is having a hard time grasping that concept.  You can not win with retreads.  Period.  Btw.  Who was the quarterback who won the Super Bowl with the Rams a couple of years ago?  I can never remember his name.

Rams lost the superbowl with Goff at QB. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

In all seriousness the play against Georgia answered any and every question that I had about Stroud

to me it started the question "where was that in the previous 23 games?" more to the point where was it vs Michigan twice? 

I fully agree any of the picks can fail, plenty to pick apart on all 4 of the qb 1st round projections. 

18 minutes ago, ColtV said:

to me it started the question "where was that in the previous 23 games?" more to the point where was it vs Michigan twice? 

I fully agree any of the picks can fail, plenty to pick apart on all 4 of the qb 1st round projections. 

He just decided not to use it. It is smart really as it helped hom avoid serious injury

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep. I think he is talking about Richardson though but agree it’s Levis. Mahomes was never as inaccurate as Richardson.

Richardson is like Lamar at this point.  Mahomes and Levis have the arm.  Stroud doesn't have the movement, and Young doesn't have the size (or the arm).

I'm not calling for the Colts to get the next Mahomes, but the player that has the size/arm/and athleticism combo is Levis, IMO.

His problem is accuracy and recklessness (like Wentz).  Mahomes was probably perceived as being reckless in college just by playing style.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Richardson is like Lamar at this point.  Mahomes and Levis have the arm.  Stroud doesn't have the movement, and Young doesn't have the size (or the arm).

I'm not calling for the Colts to get the next Mahomes, but the player that has the size/arm/and athleticism combo is Levis, IMO.

His problem is accuracy and recklessness (like Wentz).  Mahomes was probably perceived as being reckless in college just by playing style.

Levi’s had 65% completion percentage. That isn’t inaccurate to me. I don’t even know where it comes from when people say he is inaccurate.

Archived