Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a good chance once the vet market shakes out there won’t be many teams going up for a QB. I keep hearing falcons for Lamar if he is traded. Carr maybe goes to Carolina. Although I think that’s a small chance. Jimmy G is out there too. Let’s don’t forget baker mayfield too. We will know in about a month once FA starts.

9 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

If you subtract out or pat down the hair, Young is a good 2 inches shorter than Dungy

Yeah and Dungy may have lost an inch or 2 with age lol. Listened  to a pod cast and Rick Venturi loves Young and    doesn't think his lack of size  is a big issue which is very surprising to me. That being said let's say the Colts want him. I don't see  how they get  past the Texans.

7 hours ago, Gigc said:

You may end up being right about Richardson, but I'd be very very surprised. If teams drafted Brandon Weeden, EJ Manuel, Paxton Lynch, Tebow and Haskins in the first round, then SOMEBODY is going to take a swing on Richardson's ceiling before the end of round 1.

None of those picks have anything to do whatsoever with Richardson. Richardson is like a Winston wannabe and how's he worked out? I will literally laugh out loud at any team who drafts him in the first round. QBs with a lot of athleticism and "high ceiling" with little in the way of actual credentials or production don't exactly have a great history in the NFL. 

On 2/14/2023 at 2:43 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Go panthers. Maybe they go get Carr and look for a QB on the secobd round.

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

It depends on what the Jets and Commanders do but I think NYJ want veteran and Commaders are starting Howell

Doubt Rodgers is going anywhere. They still have control of Jordan Love for another year and can tag him after that.  Don't forget Ryan Pace that traded up for both Trubisky & Fields now works for the Falcons.

4 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

Doubt Rodgers is going anywhere. They still have control of Jordan Love for another year and can tag him after that.  Don't forget Ryan Pace that traded up for both Trubisky & Fields now works for the Falcons.

I do think that Rodgers is on his way out. Now is the time for the Packers to get some draft capital and I think that relationship has run its course

5 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

Rodgers is probably gone. I think packers have accepted that. Whether he retires or is traded is the real question.

I think we are going all the way CJ Stroud. Will Levis being the backup plan. Something about those guys sitting right in the Colts backyard distance wise.  Areas that Ballard and his scouts can easily get up and get to the games, send scouts and gather intel from coaches and people in the community. And also Ballard likes Ohio and Big 10 guys! We have a number of Ohio and Big 10 guys on the team such as Alec Pierce, Paris Campbell, Qwity Paye, Jonathan Taylor, Quenton Nelson. Im sure i left off a name or 2. Once again i think Young is Houstons target. Head Coach is from Bama, Youngs former WR John Metchie who is also from Bama is on the team. Just some basic fanboy observations im making.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we are going all the way CJ Stroud. Will Levis being the backup plan. Something about those guys sitting right in the Colts backyard distance wise.  Areas that Ballard and his scouts can easily get up and get to the games, send scouts and gather intel from coaches and people in the community. And also Ballard likes Ohio and Big 10 guys! We have a number of Ohio and Big 10 guys on the team such as Alec Pierce, Paris Campbell, Qwity Paye, Jonathan Taylor, Quenton Nelson. Im sure i left off a name or 2. Once again i think Young is Houstons target. Head Coach is from Bama, Youngs former WR John Metchie who is also from Bama is on the team. Just some basic fanboy observations im making.

If we are going CJ Stroud, we NEED to go get some high end separators. He's used to having insanely high end receivers and I want us to provide him with the same... In the last 2 years he's been throwing to:

- Garrett Wilson 1000 yard rookie season in NFL

- Chris Olave - 1000 yard rookie season in NFL

- Jaxon Smith-Njigba - when healthy he was better than BOTH Wilson and Olave in 2021 - 1600 yard season in 2021... 

- Marvin Harrison Jr - best WR in college football this year... possible top 10 pick next year. 

- Emeka Egbuka - another possible 1st rounder next year

This is some ridiculous level of talent. Hope Ballard is taking notes... 

12 hours ago, jonjon said:

None of those picks have anything to do whatsoever with Richardson. Richardson is like a Winston wannabe and how's he worked out? I will literally laugh out loud at any team who drafts him in the first round. QBs with a lot of athleticism and "high ceiling" with little in the way of actual credentials or production don't exactly have a great history in the NFL. 

Winston wasn't athletic like at all.  He just had fantastic arm talent. 

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

Possibly but Justin Fields is an Ohio State guy too and we know Ballard liked him coming out.  The draft capital to acquire him would be much less than moving to the 1st pick.  If the Bears are inclined to trade him our 4th pick would still enable them to get the defensive player they want.  I could really see Ballard preferring Fields and keeping those other draft picks.  He is already a proven NFL starting quarterback.  Steichen could finish the job.  I think a trade for Fields has a high probability of happening, assuming the Bears really decide to use their 1st on a quarterback, versus the Colts staying at 4. 

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

If we are going CJ Stroud, we NEED to go get some high end separators. He's used to having insanely high end receivers and I want us to provide him with the same... In the last 2 years he's been throwing to:

- Garrett Wilson 1000 yard rookie season in NFL

- Chris Olave - 1000 yard rookie season in NFL

- Jaxon Smith-Njigba - when healthy he was better than BOTH Wilson and Olave in 2021 - 1600 yard season in 2021... 

- Marvin Harrison Jr - best WR in college football this year... possible top 10 pick next year. 

- Emeka Egbuka - another possible 1st rounder next year

This is some ridiculous level of talent. Hope Ballard is taking notes... 

You got Pierce, bring Campbell back maybe, and get one more speed guy and i think we are good. I dont think we need several.  Overall based on how many different times ive seen Ballard go to the well in the Big 10, Ohio and areas not too far from Indiana i think he will continue doing so. His past 2 first round picks have come from the Big 10. And the two QBs i mentioned have the measurables he likes. I wont be mad if he gets Young somehow, but id be shocked more so.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Possibly but Justin Fields is an Ohio State guy too and we know Ballard liked him coming out.  The draft capital to acquire him would be much less than moving to the 1st pick.  If the Bears are inclined to trade him our 4th pick would still enable them to get the defensive player they want.  I could really see Ballard preferring Fields and keeping those other draft picks.  He is already a proven NFL starting quarterback.  Steichen could finish the job.  I think a trade for Fields has a high probability of happening, assuming the Bears really decide to use their 1st on a quarterback, versus the Colts staying at 4. 

I dont see Fields being traded. Bears are just posturing to see how the market speaks. I doubt they move him and i doubt Ballard goes against his principles. I think he will get his guy from the draft.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

You got Pierce, bring Campbell back maybe, and get one more speed guy and i think we are good. I dont think we need several.  Overall based on how many different times ive seen Ballard go to the well in the Big 10, Ohio and areas not too far from Indiana i think he will continue doing so. Of course outside of the fact the two i mentioned have the measurables he likes. I wont be mad if he gets Young somehow, but id be shocked more so.

If we are able to not give up our 1st next year, I think drafting Marvin Harrison Jr would be a nice way to address that WR need. 

I don’t think we really need to have WR at top of our list if we bring Campbell back. Let’s get through this year and reevaluate in 24. Steichen will probably need a year to evaluate this roster.  Campbell was at top of league in separation. Give him stroud who anticipates well and he will   Probably look really good.  Even Young I think would have Campbell looking good. Levis has  a quick release which will help Paris too.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont see Fields being traded. Bears are just posturing to see how the market speaks. I doubt they move him and i doubt Ballard goes against his principles. I think he will get his guy from the draft.

His principles?  He has traded his 1st pick once for Buckner.  He has traded for a quarterback twice now.  Fields is a big quarterback who HE liked coming out.  He loves his draft picks too.  They might not move him but Ballard going against his principles I don’t understand.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

His principles?  He has traded his 1st pick once for Buckner.  He has traded for a quarterback twice now.  Fields is a big quarterback who HE liked coming out.  He loves his draft picks too.  They might not move him but Ballard going against his principles I don’t understand.

Ballards principles are to aquire talent primarily from the draft and use free agency sparingly. He says you cant buy a locker room. Yes we acquired Buckner and no a trade is not Free Agency. With that being said I just dont see us moving away from getting our guy in the draft with this high a draft pick. He said when he first got here our previous colt teams we acquire our top end talent through the draft. I cant see him skipping that after what weve been through and once again going after somebody elses young vet QB. Again i think if we move up its no more than 1 spot. Or we hold at 4 and take Levis.

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah and Dungy may have lost an inch or 2 with age lol. Listened  to a pod cast and Rick Venturi loves Young and    doesn't think his lack of size  is a big issue which is very surprising to me. That being said let's say the Colts want him. I don't see  how they get  past the Texans.

My friend's son is an analyst at PFF and he said Young is far better than the rest.  Dare I say, head and shoulders above the rest? (pun intended.  sorry!)

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

My friend's son is an analyst at PFF and he said Young is far better than the rest.  Dare I say, head and shoulders above the rest? (pun intended.  sorry!)

Yes, but that argument still needs to carry more weight?

:peek:

25 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

He has the best awareness and is elite at the backyard play like mahomes

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think we really need to have WR at top of our list if we bring Campbell back. Let’s get through this year and reevaluate in 24. Steichen will probably need a year to evaluate this roster.  Campbell was at top of league in separation. Give him stroud who anticipates well and he will   Probably look really good.  Even Young I think would have Campbell looking good. Levis has  a quick release which will help Paris too.

I want us to re-sign Campbell. Think he can be our WR1 is he stays healthy. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Ballards principles are to aquire talent primarily from the draft and use free agency sparingly. He says you cant buy a locker room. Yes we acquired Buckner and no a trade is not Free Agency. With that being said I just dont see us moving away from getting our guy in the draft with this high a draft pick. He said when he first got here our previous colt teams we acquire our top end talent through the draft. I cant see him skipping that after what weve been through and once again going after somebody elses young vet QB. Again i think if we move up its no more than 1 spot. Or we hold at 4 and take Levis.

I think it's been stated that Ballard wanted to draft Fields - got talked into Wentz instead. So in weird delayed way, he could trade for the guy he wanted all along. 

Except now Fields has two years of the NFL under his belt and his play is trending upward.

And on the Colts he would be on a better roster than what the Bears have.

He is also only 23 - the same age as Levis.

I'm not fond of comparisons, but I don't see it as impossible that Steichen could do for Fields what he did for Hurts.

After having said all that, do I think Ballard will trade for Fields? No. Would it shock me if he did? Also no.

And as a side thought, we don't know how long Ballard's leash is right now. He may need a fast return. He may not. But if it's quick I can see him preferring a young QB (that he wanted) with some NFL experience already, as opposed to drafting a QB with no NFL experience from a pool of QBs that are, let's face it, fairly mediocre.

14 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I think it's been stated that Ballard wanted to draft Fields - got talked into Wentz instead. So in weird delayed way, he could trade for the guy he wanted all along. 

Except now Fields has two years of the NFL under his belt and his play is trending upward.

And on the Colts he would be on a better roster than what the Bears have.

He is also only 23 - the same age as Levis.

I'm not fond of comparisons, but I don't see it as impossible that Steichen could do for Fields what he did for Hurts.

After having said all that, do I think Ballard will trade for Fields? No. Would it shock me if he did? Also no.

And as a side thought, we don't know how long Ballard's leash is right now. He may need a fast return. He may not. But if it's quick I can see him preferring a young QB (that he wanted) with some NFL experience already, as opposed to drafting a QB with no NFL experience from a pool of QBs that are, let's face it, fairly mediocre.

Im not going to get much more into it because I don't really think Fields is available.  This is a new GM with a young QB that's trending upward so I just doubt he's going to make a move like that and get rid of his young signal caller after having developed chemistry and familiarity in the locker room.  We've witnessed first hand what it us to go in and out of quarterbacks.  He stated he'd have to be blown away by one of the candidates in this pool which you yourself think is "mediocre" at best so what's the likelihood of this happening?  Secondly as I mentioned earlier I think his real intention is to drum up interest and see if he can get any type of wild offers that he can't refuse. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im not going to get much more into it because I don't really think Fields is available.  This is a new GM with a young QB that's trending upward so I just doubt he's going to make a move like that and get rid of his young signal caller.  He stated he'd have to be blown away by one of the candidates in this pool which you yourself think is "mediocre" at best so what's the likelihood of this happening?  Secondly as I mentioned earlier I think his real intention is to drum up interest and see if he can get any type of wild offers that he can't refuse. 

I agree with you. The point may be moot if they have zero intention of moving on from him.

I could've touched on that point too, but felt my post was already getting long-winded as it was. 

But, there's also that aspect of it being a new GM and Fields not being 'his guy'. A lot of good players and coaches have fallen prey to that over the years.

Just now, Pelt said:

I agree with you. The point may be moot if they have zero intention of moving on from him.

I could've touched on that point too, but felt my post was already getting long-winded as it was. 

But, there's also that aspect of it being a new GM and Fields not being 'his guy'. A lot of good players and coaches have fallen prey to that over the years.

Good points!  I just think Quarterback is one of those deals you have to be careful with toying around with.

Especially when you're new, the QB is young and showing the right things, and you're not one of these execs

that everybody thinks is some kind of genius or has long track record of success.   I mean if they hired Polian

or somebody with that kind of track record then he's the kind of guy that can make a move like that. 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

He is better college player than the rest for sure. Is he a better prospect? It depends on how much weight you put on his... weight and height... and whether what he does translates well to the next level. If you don't think his size is all that important, he probably should still be clearly no. 1. Let me put it like this... if he was 6'2" 215 he'd be consensus no. 1, no question asked... hell... if he was that, I would imagine the Bears would probably just trade Fields and pick him. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Good points!  I just think Quarterback is one of those deals you have to be careful with toying around with.

Especially when you're new, the QB is young and showing the right things, and you're not one of these execs

that everybody thinks is some kind of genius or has long track record of success.   I mean if they hired Polian

or somebody with that kind of track record then he's the kind of guy that can make a move like that. 

It would be very enticing though.

Think about it. You trade with Indy and get what I assume would be the 4th pick. Now you get the pick of the litter at QB with the 1st, and knowing Houston will take a QB with the 2nd, still have either Anderson, or Carter sitting there at the 4th pick.

Just thinking out loud.

But I still think Ballard won't actually do this. If he did anything, it would be to offer up the 2nd rounder before offering up the 1st round pick.

Archived