Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 5th pick -- guaranteed a top 6 draft pick (updated 1/1/23)

danlhart87

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I mean... he had the time to do 10 snow angels, while Foles is writhing in pain on the ground. The least they could have done is go to Foles and push Thibodeaux away. 

Absolutely, it was embarrassing that Jack-off was allowed to lay there which seemed like forever without any Colts stepping in for their injured quarterback. No one challenged him later either. I was disgusted.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Here's my question 

Lets say Colts make the decision that they most likely have to trade up to 1 or 2 to get one of their guys. Do you think they make the trade before the draft or on draft day?

Colts don’t want a bidding war for a draft slot. It will arguably cost much more in compensation. The earlier the better. 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I mean... he had the time to do 10 snow angels, while Foles is writhing in pain on the ground. The least they could have done is go to Foles and push Thibodeaux away. 

Yeah I was surprised that none of the linemen were like dude stop.  They didn’t have to start a fight with him but at least make him aware that Foles was hurt or at least check on Foles while he’s writhing in pain they just stood there with their hands on their hips like what’s the next play call?  That’s concerning.  

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Here's my question 

Lets say Colts make the decision that they most likely have to trade up to 1 or 2 to get one of their guys. Do you think they make the trade before the draft or on draft day?

If you decide you have to go up to 1 or 2 to get the guy you want you make the move as soon as you can before someone else jumps up there to get the guy you want.  

With that said the team you are trading with knows this too and will use it against you to try to get more out of you.  Kinda like how a car salesman always tells you someone else was just in looking at the car you are looking at when you are buying a car.  So you have to set your price and not go too high over it.  That’s why sometimes you see deals like this last until draft day because the team with the pick really has no better offers but is hoping one will come in or the other team will panic and up their offer.  It’s a giant game of poker.  

Ballard has shown he is the type to set his price offer it and wait it out.  Now, that could all go out the window if they really fall in love with one prospect over another and feel that one guy is the guy.  

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

They definitely would have to trade up to get him

Maybe maybe not. I assume panthers might try trading up around us. It really depends how far the trade down team wants to fall down. Arizona is the team I think would be willing to trade down a little farther. So yeah we might have too. According to keefer colts are willing to do what they have to do. Or even a possibility panthers are fine with Levis so don’t want to give up the capitol to move up. Colts will probably call teams and say if a team tries to trade up let us know.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Watching a mock that was done since that OSU game and it looks like Stroud is starting to get mocked to colts instead of Levis.

Try not to read too much into who mocks which player to the Colts.   It’s all meaningless — the writers are guessing.  

In this class of QBs, there might be roughly 8-12 teams that might hypothetically prefer each of the top 3 QBs.   Young, Stroud, Levis could all be preferred by a number of different teams.   And we don’t know who the Colts might prefer. 

Right now, it’s a guessing game.   Honestly. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree, retreads are problematic. But how do you know a HC has a modern understanding of the game until you've seen him do the job? Reality is a lot of these guys will just continue to get HC jobs because they happened to be in the same room as a good young QB for a couple years, and in reality they have not exhibited traits necessary for them to be effective HCs.

There is no perfect way to know, but in general you look at what kind of offense their previous teams have run and what kind of challenges they have been able to solve. Greg Cosell frequently says this thing about coaches and I think he's right about it - "coaches coach what they know/have experience with", So in general I would expect a first time HC to exhibit some combination of his previous experiences around the league and I wouldn't expect them to stray a ton from it. 

I mostly agree with you, and have my eye on Steichen, partly because of how he's helped integrate a limited passer into an offense that will work in the NFL. Where we disagree is I don't want the HC as the primary play caller, and I give Sirianni a lot of credit for handing that responsibility over to Steichen this season.

I don't mind it either way. If they can consistently find good playcallers I think that would be OK. But my question would be - just how deep are their pockets with potential playcalling candidates for the future? Because we see what happens when the playcaller they pick, excels at that job - Steichen is now prime HC candidate and very likely will leave. I think similar thing would happen with any successful playcalling OC in the league. 

(Not worried about Sirianni's recommendation...)

My worry is more along the lines - he is * off about the handling of his mentor Frank Reich enough to recomment to Steichen not to take our job.

55 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2023-nfl-mock-draft-qb-trades/

This is the craziest mock

Lamar Jackson to Atlanta 

Multiple teams move up for QB

Colts stay at 5 and Stroud lands right in their laps

If Ballard gets one of the top QBs without giving up anything it would be amazing 

One thing working for the Colts is - there are 2 legit blue chip players at other positions in Carter and Anderson that a lot of teams would be unwilling to trade out of. So the Colts are in perfect spot to either:

1. Just stay pat and get one of the 3 QBs if they like all 3. 

2. Trade up for one, since the team trading down with us will still be guaranteed one of Carter and Anderson most likely. 

3. Probably worst case scenario will still be amazing for us - somebody else trades up for QB in front of us - we still get a blue chipper in Carter or Anderson.  

That's why we actually NEED to not drop to 6. We have to lose that game with the Texans. 

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

One thing working for the Colts is - there are 2 legit blue chip players at other positions in Carter and Anderson that a lot of teams would be unwilling to trade out of. So the Colts are in perfect spot to either:

1. Just stay pat and get one of the 3 QBs if they like all 3. 

2. Trade up for one, since the team trading down with us will still be guaranteed one of Carter and Anderson most likely. 

3. Probably worst case scenario will still be amazing for us - somebody else trades up for QB in front of us - we still get a blue chipper in Carter or Anderson.  

That's why we actually NEED to not drop to 6. We have to lose that game with the Texans. 

Agreed.  Not sure the Bears would want to lose the opportunity to grab Anderson so if they trade back it likely won’t be too far

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Try not to read too much into who mocks which player to the Colts.   It’s all meaningless — the writers are guessing.  

In this class of QBs, there might be roughly 8-12 teams that might hypothetically prefer each of the top 3 QBs.   Young, Stroud, Levis could all be preferred by a number of different teams.   And we don’t know who the Colts might prefer. 

Right now, it’s a guessing game.   Honestly. 

It’s just stuff to talk about.

22 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

In my mind the cost is irrelevant. If you love a QB you do whatever it takes to get him. It's impossible to give up too much for a franchise QB. 

Agreed - but what if there isn't anyone you really love?  There are certainly guys that show potential, but if you don't love any of the guys do you stand where you are and see what falls to you?  Do you still trade up to get the guy you like the best if required?  Do you trade back and plan on looking next year?

For me too love a guy he needs to have the physical size and ability, mental ability, emotional resilience, and natural leadership.  

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

It we traded up to 1 would we go stroud or young

Great question.  But aren't you the guy who said all Ohio State players will fail if the Colts draft them, lol?

(BTW, even though I'm a Buckeye, I'd be super happy with either of them)

38 minutes ago, #12. said:

Even with the opportunity, I have real doubts that a physical traits guy like Ballard would draft Young, so that plays into the calculation of what they might do, where they might trade up to.  

No doubt Ballard would never draft him. We will see if Ballard is even the GM. That changes things. If stroud goes to Texans first it will be Levis if Ballard is still here. 

16 hours ago, Superman said:

And while I would like a guy with experience, I don't want someone like Jim Caldwell, Jason Garrett, etc. Maybe Jay Gruden? There's not really anyone on the radar who I feel strongly about

what about Demeco Ryans with one of those guys as OC?  Or try to sweet talk Gary Kubiak back out of retirement to be OC?

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

Agreed - but what if there isn't anyone you really love?  There are certainly guys that show potential, but if you don't love any of the guys do you stand where you are and see what falls to you?  Do you still trade up to get the guy you like the best if required?  Do you trade back and plan on looking next year?

For me too love a guy he needs to have the physical size and ability, mental ability, emotional resilience, and natural leadership.  

Supposedly everyone on our draft board has ALL of those traits.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

what about Demeco Ryans with one of those guys as OC?  Or try to sweet talk Gary Kubiak back out of retirement to be OC?

I like Demeco, but I think we need an offensive HC. Unless we got a lifer OC, like a new Tom Moore or something, but I don't know about that. I just don't want a situation that has high potential for significant change while the new QB is developing.

3 hours ago, gspdx said:

We're on the same page and I would trade back if I don't love one of these guys. I was more saying if you love a QB in this draft the Colts shouldn't hope they fall to them at #4 or #5, they should move up to get him no matter what it costs. If you'd hope to draft him at 5 make sure you draft him and move up to 2.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

I like Demeco, but I think we need an offensive HC. Unless we got a lifer OC, like a new Tom Moore or something, but I don't know about that. I just don't want a situation that has high potential for significant change while the new QB is developing.

Well I think if we did go Demeco for HC, they'd probably go with a former offensive HC as the OC.  In that case, perhaps a Jim Caldwell or Jay Gruden would work.  For some reason I've just never liked Jason Garrett.  Couldn't really say why.  

This is not to say that I'm clamoring for Ryans or a defensive HC at all.  I think Steichen would be at the top of my list.  Just thinking outloud about possibilities if they were to go that route.

2 hours ago, J@son said:

Ryans would be my first choice of the coordinators out there but the OC hire is going to be just as important if they hire Ryans.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think Texans care if they are number one or two. They also might have some intel on other QB needy teams and who they want to take. Or maybe they like all 3.

That attitude convinces me they would be fine with whatever QB falls to 2 in the event someone trades above them 

Archived