Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 5th pick -- guaranteed a top 6 draft pick (updated 1/1/23)

danlhart87

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

In the moment, I don't know what I would have wanted them to do. You can't just spear him while he's on the ground, that's too far, IMO. Our training staff was all gathered in the same area, and by the time Thibodeaux gets up his teammates are with him. If you go confront him at that point, I think things get really ugly.

It was third down, our next play was a punt, so all the relevant players are going to the sideline. Late in the second quarter, I don't think our offense went back out on the field until the third quarter. So you can't go after him on the next play.

So do you treat it like baseball, and let your defense take a late, obvious hit on their QB, then stare over at the Giants sideline? Or do you wait until your next offensive possession, and have the OL go at Thibodeaux? If so, you're probably starting Ehlinger's first possession with a 1st and 25...

It's just a weird situation. I don't think the hit was dirty; it's on the offense that Foles got hit like that. The celebration was tasteless, but in the moment, I don't know how a teammate is expected to recognize what's happening, process it, and decide to respond in a way that doesn't do more harm than good.

There are a lot of Internet tough guys who are blaming the OL for doing... something? I guess I would have rather seen them do something rather than kind of shrug it off and move on, like they seem to have done. 

I mean... he had the time to do 10 snow angels, while Foles is writhing in pain on the ground. The least they could have done is go to Foles and push Thibodeaux away. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch this garbage, especially not with all the other good stuff going on yesterday.

The hit isn't super violent on it's own, but this is why QBs are considered defenseless in the pocket. Foles is starting his throwing motion, has no idea he's about to get hit, his midsection is entirely exposed, and he probably gets some whiplash from the collision.

Also, this should be roughing, for landing full weight on the QB. This is textbook for that violation, and wasn't called. Yet, much more innocent plays get flagged all the time. Could also have called taunting for sure.

I’m just disappointed not one Colts player walked over, clearly everyone could see he was injured. 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

I mean... he had the time to do 10 snow angels, while Foles is writhing in pain on the ground. The least they could have done is go to Foles and push Thibodeaux away. 

Yeah that’s the point wouldn’t hate it if it turned into a fight, colts are just dead.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Do you have a favorite realistic HC candidate ... or two? 

Not really. I feel a lot stronger about my "no" list than I do about my "yes" list right now. Harbaugh and Saturday are on my "no" list for sure.

I think it's important we have an offensive minded HC, for the sake of the development of the new QB. Demeco Ryans should be a candidate for a lot of teams and I think he might be a good HC moving forward, but he's not the right fit for the Colts.

I think I'd prefer an experienced HC. I don't think we'll be in play for Sean Payton, but he fits my preferred profile. Kellen Moore does not. And then there are guys like Shane Steichen and Ben Johnson who seem like they might have something going on, but have not been HCs. Most of the hottest candidates are going to be guys like this.

And while I would like a guy with experience, I don't want someone like Jim Caldwell, Jason Garrett, etc. Maybe Jay Gruden? There's not really anyone on the radar who I feel strongly about.

19 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Duggan is going undrafted he had heart surgery just few years ago

I didn't mean Duggan specifically but the idea of holding off on a 1st round QB, esp if Young and Stroud aren't there. I doubt Duggan goes undrafted, though yeah probably a mid/late round pick. 

I wouldn't mind Sean Payton.  I think we need an offensive minded head coach, and I like the fact

that he typically stays around for a while.  And he's got a good scheme.  I also think the defensive scheme that we currently have in place is similar to what they had/have with the Saints already. 

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. I feel a lot stronger about my "no" list than I do about my "yes" list right now. Harbaugh and Saturday are on my "no" list for sure.

I think it's important we have an offensive minded HC, for the sake of the development of the new QB. Demeco Ryans should be a candidate for a lot of teams and I think he might be a good HC moving forward, but he's not the right fit for the Colts.

I think I'd prefer an experienced HC. I don't think we'll be in play for Sean Payton, but he fits my preferred profile. Kellen Moore does not. And then there are guys like Shane Steichen and Ben Johnson who seem like they might have something going on, but have not been HCs. Most of the hottest candidates are going to be guys like this.

And while I would like a guy with experience, I don't want someone like Jim Caldwell, Jason Garrett, etc. Maybe Jay Gruden? There's not really anyone on the radar who I feel strongly about.

I have a similar first priority - I firmly think the best way for long term stability is for the team to find an offensive head coach who is not necessarily going to playcall, but will set the offensive philosophy and oversee its implementation (and if he can handle playcalling - even better).

I personally have no qualms about level of experience. The reality is - huge majority of available retread HC are available and retreading for a reason. I want a HC with modern understanding of the game. Maybe he hasn't been a HC but he has experience and proven resume either playcalling or coordinating a successful unit AND proven record of developing young QB. 

Shane Steichen fits all of those to a tee IMO. His record helping Herbert and Hurts raise their level to top of the league QBs pretty much immediately is incredibly attractive for me. Of course you would want to make sure he has the leadership and organizational qualities needed, but for that I feel you would need to be more in the know and have connections in other buildings + of course do a proper interview. I hope we didn't * off Sirianni too much and he can give a fair assessment. 

Sean Payton would be a good candidate too, but the rumor is the Saints will want at least a 1st to let him coach elsewhere so... I don't really think this is wise while we are still looking for our QB of the future.

Ben Johnson might be another potential candidate, but IMO he requires more of a leap than Steichen.

I wonder about some college coaches... But those moves are really risky. Seems like a lot of them try to run NFL teams like a college program and that's not going to fly with players making triple or quadruple their salary.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Here's my question 

Lets say Colts make the decision that they most likely have to trade up to 1 or 2 to get one of their guys. Do you think they make the trade before the draft or on draft day?

They should make it before the draft, IMO. 

47 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Here's my question 

Lets say Colts make the decision that they most likely have to trade up to 1 or 2 to get one of their guys. Do you think they make the trade before the draft or on draft day?

Good question. I think Ballard likes to make these deals prior to the draft.  And I think that’s smart.  Not forced into a rash decision and /or a bad deal 

36 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

2.  I think we trade up to 2.   5 at the end of the season.  Maybe 6 but I think 5 is a lock then trading up with Chicago for 2. 

I hope they do trade up to 2 and take Stroud.  Bring Harbaugh in as the HC.  

Fresh start.  

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With the way colts are playing it’s very likely bears are going to have the number one pick. It’s doubtful bears  beat Vikings. Chances of colts losing to Texans is high. 

Won't cheer for Houston, but won't be upset if we lose... 

What happens, happens. 

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don’t think either are sure fire guys to give up the farm to move up 4 spots for. I’d rather get whoever is left. 

No Qb in the draft is ever sure fire. Every one is a risk. Just have to hope they pick the right one and develop them. The good news is I think colts have actually been good at player development.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I personally have no qualms about level of experience. The reality is - huge majority of available retread HC are available and retreading for a reason. I want a HC with modern understanding of the game. Maybe he hasn't been a HC but he has experience and proven resume either playcalling or coordinating a successful unit AND proven record of developing young QB. 

Shane Steichen fits all of those to a tee IMO. His record helping Herbert and Hurts raise their level to top of the league QBs pretty much immediately is incredibly attractive for me. Of course you would want to make sure he has the leadership and organizational qualities needed, but for that I feel you would need to be more in the know and have connections in other buildings + of course do a proper interview. I hope we didn't * off Sirianni too much and he can give a fair assessment. 

I agree, retreads are problematic. But how do you know a HC has a modern understanding of the game until you've seen him do the job? Reality is a lot of these guys will just continue to get HC jobs because they happened to be in the same room as a good young QB for a couple years, and in reality they have not exhibited traits necessary for them to be effective HCs.

I mostly agree with you, and have my eye on Steichen, partly because of how he's helped integrate a limited passer into an offense that will work in the NFL. Where we disagree is I don't want the HC as the primary play caller, and I give Sirianni a lot of credit for handing that responsibility over to Steichen this season. (Not worried about Sirianni's recommendation...)

Archived