Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 5th pick -- guaranteed a top 6 draft pick (updated 1/1/23)

danlhart87

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It does seem like there is someone they like. Because like Keefer  reported on his podcast they are going to take a QB and will trade up if necessary.

Tbh I’m not really sure about this.  The Colts front office has been very tight lipped about any of their plans being leaked since Ballard took over.   Now he’s reporting this.  And we’re even ready to trade up.  Music to the ears of the teams in front of us.  So insiders are telling only Keefer this information.  I don’t know.  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Tbh I’m not really sure about this.  The Colts front office has been very tight lipped about any of their plans being leaked since Ballard took over.   Now he’s reporting this.  And we’re even ready to trade up.  Music to the ears of the teams in front of us.  So insiders are telling only Keefer this information.  I don’t know.  

If Keefer is saying it then it’s probably true. He doesn’t talk inside stuff like that often.  The local media doesn’t really talk insider stuff. Keefer and holder used to sometimes give info on their podcast but it’s rare . But holder doesn’t do the podcast anymore.  Holder will even tweet stuff sometimes making it look like just a normal story but he is trying to prepare fans for what is about to happen.  Sometimes have to read between lines. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It does seem like there is someone they like. Because like Keefer  reported on his podcast they are going to take a QB and will trade up if necessary.

we need to lose vs the texans 100 percent .  bears would be number 1 overall and can trade with them .   if the colts can get to 3 by next week we can trade up two spots

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

we need to lose vs the texans 100 percent .  bears would be number 1 overall and can trade with them .   if the colts can get to 3 by next week we can trade up two spots

If colts get to 3 and bears have that first pick I guarantee we probably trade up. The only way they wouldn’t If they are happy with all 3. My guess is they will stay at 5. I just don’t see cardinals or broncos winning.

50 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would bet one of Young or Stroud will be available at 5. Don’t give up the farm unless for a generational or sure fire franchise QB. 

Yeah my guess too only because teams don’t want to trade down too far. So chances of bears or Seahawks trading down to ten or lower is small. Ballard will probably alert teams ahead of them and say call me if another team tries to trade up. He won’t do it unless necessary.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:17 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt we see too many more changes. The big one possibly is Texans and Bears flipping picks. If cardinals lose tomorrow I think the top 5 teams are pretty set. Denver would have to pull a miracle against chiefs or chargers. Have to watch chargers and see if they sit players last game. 

Excellent points - thank you for sharing!!

On 12/31/2022 at 5:13 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh I believe in him alright lol. I  bet this. Irsay will have his hands all over this pick. No way Ballard makes this pick without the final say so from  Irsay.

I haven't sensed that behavior AT ALL while Chris Ballard has been the GM.

I don't think Ballard would stay in the position if that were the case.

If colts get to 3 and bears have that first pick I guarantee we probably trade up. The only way they wouldn’t If they are happy with all 3. My guess is they will stay at 5. I just don’t see cardinals or broncos winning.

anything could happen but at least we are at max getting a top 6 pick .      a miracle can happen and we can move up

Just now, coming on strong said:

anything could happen but at least we are at max getting a top 6 pick .      a miracle can happen and we can move up

With way broncos played against KC I probably give broncos better chance the cardinals. Saw a tweet mentioning how they let Russ out of the pocket more against KC. Hopefully we lose and stay at five just in case lions decide  to do the very unexpected and take a QB.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With way broncos played against KC I probably give broncos better chance the cardinals. Saw a tweet mentioning how they let Russ out of the pocket more against KC. Hopefully we lose and stay at five just in case lions decide  to do the very unexpected and take a QB.

if ballard misses on getting one of the 3 top QBs he is gone next year .  he knows he has to take a chance to save his job

15 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

What's he going to do quit? God u give  Ballard way to much credit and integrity. He quits and that would null and void his  multi million dollar contract. He picked Saturday and Balard didn't want Saturday so the trend haa started.  He has been neutered 

I'm curious if the colts stay at 5 after this weekend, what package could they give the bears? I honestly think the saints, Panthers, and Falcons will all try to trade up to get a QB even go after Levis. Colts sitting on their hands imo will cost them. Me personally, I would dingle Leonard in front of them to see if their interested along with our first and the commanders third. 

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm curious if the colts stay at 5 after this weekend, what package could they give the bears? I honestly think the saints, Panthers, and Falcons will all try to trade up to get a QB even go after Levis. Colts sitting on their hands imo will cost them. Me personally, I would dingle Leonard in front of them to see if their interested along with our first and the commanders third. 

Well if it’s true colts are prepared to move up. I think I saw a future first and a second. Something like that. Buckner could negate that future first though. Yes those teams will try but do teams want to trade down that far.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well if it’s true colts are prepared to move up. I think I saw a future first and a second. Something like that. Buckner could negate that future first though. Yes those teams will try but do teams want to trade down that far.

If more picks is what they are after they will. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

we wont beat the texans, we dont have the talent that they have

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If more picks is what they are after they will. 

Just depends on how they have players graded in that 10-12 range. If they view a guy they can get in top 5 as elite the less chance they want to move down to miss them. Also a team like Chicago could trade down twice and double up on picks. Trade with colts then trade down again.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just depends on how they have players graded in that 10-12 range. If they view a guy they can get in top 5 as elite the less chance they want to move down to miss them. Also a team like Chicago could trade down twice and double up on picks. Trade with colts then trade down again.

That’s what we have to hope for.

2 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Huh? 

Irsay ordered Wentz to be traded. 

Irsay ordered Ryan to be benched and replaced by Sam. 

Irsay hired Saturday over the objection of Ballard and the team President. 

I don’t understand your perspective. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Saints pick belongs to Eagles

If you follow AFC West teams and their division games every year, you'd know they play each other very very tough almost every time they face off each other. Broncos last played 28-34 game against the Chiefs, then lost badly to Cards and Rams with backup QBs. 

There's a chance Chargers rest or limit starters depending upon how much they want to field their starters, Broncos have a chance to win if things go their way. 

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh? 

Irsay may have wanted Wentz to be traded, but we have no idea if he had to order Ballard to do it.  Ballard may very well have been on the same page with Irsay

c'mon man.  this was nothing more than media speculation at best and you know that.  what happened in the following weeks made this 'theory' make zero sense

this is the only one we pretty much know to be true

17 minutes ago, J@son said:

c'mon man.  this was nothing more than media speculation at best and you know that.  what happened in the following weeks made this 'theory' make zero sense

I believe everyone believes it was Irsay because the day before the move to sit Ryan, Reich said that Ryan is the starting QB. Which makes it look like his hand was forced to bench Ryan and this mortenson tweet

which I think people interpret “empowered” differently 

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Ballard seems to like value picks. He could get the scratch-and-dent discount on Hendon Hooker due to the torn ACL. Hooker is probably as good as anyone else in the first round without the ACL injury.

42 minutes ago, J@son said:

Irsay may have wanted Wentz to be traded, but we have no idea if he had to order Ballard to do it.  Ballard may very well have been on the same page with Irsay

this is the only one we pretty much know to be true

Sorry, but I don’t agree with your viewpoints here.   And I’ll leave it at that. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but I don’t agree with your viewpoints here.   And I’ll leave it at that. 

That's fine,  but you should really change your wording since 2 of those 3 items are purely speculation

27 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I believe everyone believes it was Irsay because the day before the move to sit Ryan, Reich said that Ryan is the starting QB. Which makes it look like his hand was forced to bench Ryan and this mortenson tweet

Well, first, no not everyone believes it.  I don't believe it.  I've yet to hear a satisfactory explanation as to why Irsay would "force" Frank to bench Ryan but then let Saturday go back to Ryan as the starter a couple of weeks later.  That makes no sense.

What I take from your description is that Frank was caught in the headlights in a post-game press conference where his starting QB played very poorly.  He hadn't had a chance to talk to Irsay/Ballard yet and it seems like he didn't believe he had the authority to make a switch.  Later, he has a chance to sit down with Irsay/Ballard, who empower him to make the change if that's what he believes is best.

empower: give (someone) the authority or power to do something.
                 make (someone) stronger and more confident, especially in controlling their life and claiming their rights.

Frank probably felt that he wouldn't be allowed to bench Ryan due to the contract he was given when he arrived here.  

I also found his use of the word "lockstep" interesting.  

lockstep: a way of marching with each person as close as possible to the one in front.

This all fits with the fact that Irsay let Saturday make his own decision on the starting QB.  Saturday has been able to start Ryan, bench Ryan in favor of Foles and now that Foles is injured Saturday chose to start Sam instead of going back to Ryan.  After Frank was fired, Irsay said he's been letting his HC make the decision on who to start at QB and imo the evidence suggests he's telling the truth.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh? 

I don’t understand your perspective. 

I just saw an article from a writer pondering the same thing you posted a while back about Ballard just declining to come back bc of the meddling ownership.

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I never saw this Mort tweet.

Didn't Frank say at the presser that he, Irsay, and Ballard talked about it the night before on the phone?  The night before. This tweet sounds like Irsay let Frank make the move the next morning. 

When the convo took place could be important, because if they talked about it the night before, its more likely Frank initiated the conference call because he wanted to bench Ryan and was asking for approval.   So the next morning, Irsay decides to approve Reich's request, and "empowers" him to bench Ryan. 

If the meat of the discussion took place in the morning when Irsay was "empowering" Frank, then it seems like Irsay made the decision to bench Sam like many think. ( I guess Frank could have initiated the call in the morning too, and then got empowered right after the discussion).

If Frank suggested the benching, and Irsay approved, then the usage of the word "empowered" is correct.

And yes, Frank is going to want to run his suggestion up the flag poll when it comes to benching a near HOF QB that you gave up a draft pick and $30M for, and start a 6th rounder ahead of him, when the season is still on the line.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I never saw this Mort tweet.

Didn't Frank say at the presser that he, Irsay, and Ballard talked about it the night before on the phone?  The night before. This tweet sounds like Irsay let Frank make the move the next morning. 

When the convo took place could be important, because if they talked about it the night before, its more likely Frank initiated the conference call because he wanted to bench Ryan and was asking for approval.   So the next morning, Irsay decides to approve Reich's request, and "empowers" him to bench Ryan. 

If the meat of the discussion took place in the morning when Irsay was "empowering" Frank, then it seems like Irsay made the decision to bench Sam like many think. ( I guess Frank could have initiated the call in the morning too, and then got empowered right after the discussion).

If Frank suggested the benching, and Irsay approved, then the usage of the word "empowered" is correct.

And yes, Frank is going to want to run his suggestion up the flag poll when it comes to benching a near HOF QB that you gave up a draft pick and $30M for, and start a 6th rounder ahead of him, when the season is still on the line.

TY Doug. Irsay claims the right to be involved in the QB decisions, so yes Frank would have given his evaluation of the situation and wanted to make sure the need for the move was understood and met with approval.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I just saw an article from a writer pondering the same thing you posted a while back about Ballard just declining to come back bc of the meddling ownership.

Thanks, K….

I thought that was possible, but now I’m not quite there.   

Irsay has been so adamant these last few weeks that Ballard is coming back it makes me wonder if he and CB have cut a deal.  Come back for at least one more year to handle FA and the draft and maybe then they can work out a severance deal.  

But I read a story recently that said Ballard might want to stay a few years longer.  Reportedly, the Ballard family likes it in Indy and may not want to uproot the kids from school.  

Still….   I confess I wonder who gets to pick the new HC?   And the roster?   Will it be Ballard or Irsay?   Because the new HC may want his own GM.     I know, it’s very complicated. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks, K….

I thought that was possible, but now I’m not quite there.   

Irsay has been so adamant these last few weeks that Ballard is coming back it makes me wonder if he and CB have cut a deal.  Come back for at least one more year to handle FA and the draft and maybe then they can work out a severance deal.  

But I read a story recently that said Ballard might want to stay a few years longer.  Reportedly, the Ballard family likes it in Indy and may not want to uproot the kids from school.  

Still….   I confess I wonder who gets to pick the new HC?   And the roster?   Will it be Ballard or Irsay?   Because the new HC may want his own GM.     I know, it’s very complicated. 

Well so far the choices for head coach that i know have been clear Ballard choices seem to be ok. You got Vrabel who is doing well, and youve got Dan in Detroit who is settling in decently. Even with the Mcdaniels pick i think his scheme would have worked here if Luck had stayed on board. Now his personality fit i dont know but i mostly trust the system Ballard uses to evaluate.

Archived