Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Cower

bleed blue4life

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn’t bother me that Cowher has his own thread. He fired the shots first. 

Dude deserves the backlash he gets. Isn’t that how things work in the modern world? Say something people don’t like and get drug through the Twitter town square? 

He’s is the one who disgracefully cut the journalist/communications line. Maybe if he had graduated with a degree in the field he works in, he would know better. 

2 hours ago, Indy87 said:

I could care less. I’m glad to see Irsay hire outside the box. 

I don’t know if it’ll be a good hire or not.  So far, so good.

But if it ultimately proves not to be, it won’t be for the reasons Cowher (and Joe Thomas, among others) is saying.  But I’m sure they’d chalk it up to that.

Maybe Cowher is just afraid Saturday might actually be successful?  If he is, what does it say about his contention that being a successful HC requires years in the coaching trenches?

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don’t know if it’ll be a good hire or not.  So far, so good.

But if it ultimately proves not to be, it won’t be for the reasons Cowher (and Joe Thomas, among others) is saying.  But I’m sure they’d chalk it up to that.

Maybe Cowher is just afraid Saturday might actually be successful?  If he is, what does it say about his contention that being a successful HC requires years in the coaching trenches?

cowher is full of crap. 

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

The thing is Cower didn't have years of experience. He had a total of two years under Marty Schottenhiemer with two different teams. Only one year of being a defensive coordinator.  It takes a lot of gall for him to whine about Jeff while he himself walked into a work field with no experience in broadcasting.  

I mean what these guys don't understand that Larry Bird did the same thing in 1997 with the Pacers and nobody seemed to have a problem with that. The word is Saturday didn't pay his dues first and that isn't fair well guess what life isn't fair get over it Cowher you got a very cushy job now and you haven't coached since the stone age get over yourself and sit there and do nothing like you usually do and shut up will all be better for it. 

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I mean what these guys don't understand that Larry Bird did the same thing in 1997 with the Pacers and nobody seemed to have a problem with that. The word is Saturday didn't pay his dues first and that isn't fair well guess what life isn't fair get over it Cowher you got a very cushy job now and you haven't coached since the stone age get over yourself and sit there and do nothing like you usually do and shut up will all be better for it. 

It was pretty common in basketball.  There is a difference.  I don’t know if it’s an important difference but it’s not unusual in basketball to hire guys like that.

This gotta be the most sensitive and egotistical fan base in the league lol. Y’all really mad because actual football minds (coaches, players, and GMs) are calling out the Colts , and you can’t dismiss them the way you do regular media guys who never played/coaches the game. So now you’re all going out trying to find some type of “dig” on everyone.

Sad but hilarious at the same time.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

This gotta be the most sensitive and egotistical fan base in the league lol. Y’all really mad because actual football minds (coaches, players, and GMs) are calling out the Colts , and you can’t dismiss them the way you do regular media guys who never played/coaches the game. So now you’re all going out trying to find some type of “dig” on everyone.

why-are-you-the-way-you-are-the-office.g

46 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's not about being sensitive, it is about being professional when you a part of the media which Cowher is now. I have no problem with him disagreeing with the Jeff hire, it is the way he acted about it. His rant was like a 13 yr old and disrespectful. 

Bill has a point and so does everyone who points out he was fast tracked as well. The Saturday move is still a head scratcher to me but I will root for him bc it’s the Colts. We beat a 2 win team. A win is a win but I’m still going to wait and see how this turns out.  You have to consider what this looks like from the outside. Irsay hired a highschool football coach…if any other team did this people on here would be trashing that decision. 

I’m paraphrasing Bowen, but he said it best - a HC should be the CEO of the company.  Make sure the right people are doing their jobs the right way.  Players and coaches.

Frank is a great guy, but maybe calling plays took away from other areas he should have been concentrating on.  Jeff delegated and just made sure everyone was motivated.  

Ultimately a good coach evaluation comes down to - do you have the same amount or better talent than your opponent?  If so, you better win to be considered an decent coach.  If you have less talent and you can still win, you’re a very good coach.  

Ya know what’s not fair? 90% of everyone In The NFL makes 6-7 figures while guys in our military, police force, fire fighting, health service industry, all struggle to make ends meat. But I don’t hear Cowher talking about fairness when he goes home paid every week. 

14 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Y’all are ridiculous, you really making a thread just to make a diss that’s been made 100 times in other threads lol

I did not read/hear what Cowher said. It sounds like it upset a lot of fans. 

57 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Bill has a point and so does everyone who points out he was fast tracked as well. The Saturday move is still a head scratcher to me but I will root for him bc it’s the Colts. We beat a 2 win team. A win is a win but I’m still going to wait and see how this turns out.  You have to consider what this looks like from the outside. Irsay hired a highschool football coach…if any other team did this people on here would be trashing that decision. 

Exactly. I wonder how fans would react if Tom Brady was named head coach of an NFL team after he retires. (I read something about him saying that, but I won't post the article in this section.)

Anyway, it was only one game. Had the Colts lost the game, would fans have said that Cowher was right? Give it time. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Bill went on a passionate rant and now it is pointed out that he is a hypocrite.    He proved that he was a putz.   Joe Thomas did as well.  

Interesting when you find it "too sensitive" when fans defend the team they like from pathetic ramblings from a washed up ex coach.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

How about all of the broadcasting students he jumped over to get the TV gig?

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

To your last sentence, I wouldn't. I would wait and see how it worked out. When Jackson St hired Deion I had no problem with it when there were at least 10 African American coaches that were more qualified for that job, more like 100's. Deion has nailed it which is why these people saying the Jeff hiring is a disgrace need to hold their horses. 

44 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did not read/hear what Cowher said. It sounds like it upset a lot of fans. 

Exactly. I wonder how fans would react if Tom Brady was named head coach of an NFL team after he retires. (I read something about him saying that, but I won't post the article in this section.)

Anyway, it was only one game. Had the Colts lost the game, would fans have said that Cowher was right? Give it time. 

If you heard the way Bill Cowher conducted himself, you would be like this is way overboard. It sounded really bad, like Jeff stole his lunch money. In reality, even if Jeff goes 2-6 it is still not a fail because then we get a high draft pick anyway. If Jeff just goes 4-4 than I think that proves he can coach with the schedule we have ahead of us. So far 1-0.

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

as the Edge said. 5 presidents were voted in without any office experience. This is life. Why do we have to consider how this looks on the outside? When does giving a % what outsiders think matter? Caring what the outside thinks of you is a fast track to failing in life. 

9 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

as the Edge said. 5 presidents were voted in without any office experience. This is life. Why do we have to consider how this looks on the outside? When does giving a % what outsiders think matter? Caring what the outside thinks of you is a fast track to failing in life. 

Thanks for the life advice coach. This is a thread talking about what someone on the outside said.  So I commented appropriately and on topic. Thanks for your input. 

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thanks for the life advice coach. This is a thread talking about what someone on the outside said.  So I commented appropriately and on topic. Thanks for your input. 

Not sure how to interpret your attitude here. When you said we have to consider what the outside is seeing, I thought you were talking as fans, not as in what the outside is saying: Bill Cowher. 

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Bill went on a passionate rant and now it is pointed out that he is a hypocrite.    He proved that he was a putz.   Joe Thomas did as well.  

Interesting when you find it "too sensitive" when fans defend the team they like from pathetic ramblings from a washed up ex coach.

Washed up ex-coach? He won a SB with the Steelers. What did Reich and Pagano accomplish? Cowher has a 161-99-1 record.

Duny has a 148-79 record (92-33 with Colts). Cowher is a HOF. So clearly you’re throwing out insults without knowing anything. Cowher is better than anyone who has ever coached the Colts.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Washed up ex-coach? He won a SB with the Steelers. What did Reich and Pagano accomplish? Cowher has a 161-99-1 record.

Duny has a 148-79 record (92-33 with Colts). Cowher is a HOF. So clearly you’re throwing out insults without knowing anything. Cowher is better than anyone who has ever coached the Colts.

Don Shula??

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How about all of the broadcasting students he jumped over to get the TV gig?

I can't believe people keep offering this lame argument. Can we acknowledge how wrong it is, please?

Broadcasting students are not in the running to be "analysts" on TV. The analyst position was created to give a platform to former players, coaches, and the like, because networks saw it as a value add to their broadcasts. The position is specifically for insiders, not aspiring broadcasters and journalists. 

Bill Cowher is not a hypocrite because he got an analyst job without 'paying his dues.' He didn't take away an opportunity from a broadcasting student. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He came off like a babbling * in his rants.   He was a good coach, I agree but now he is just a putz.  Got his head coaching job at age 34 so he didn't "earn" his job either.

Archived