Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Matt Ryan really hurt?

AustexColt

I listened to comments that Irsay was responsible for benching Matt Ryan. Wasn't Mattie hurt and that is when Sam was inserted. What is the facts about Mattie Ice injury?

I remember Mattie locker room interview telling Laura Overton that he has was not healed yet to play the Patriots game. I am confused.

Thanks for the clarification. Kevin Bowen keeps saying that it was Jim Irsay that wanted Frank to pull Ryan out and put Sam in. I think what BlackTiger wrote is closer to what happened. I do think that it was Frank's decision to shelf Matt Ryan for the season because the OL was not good.

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yes. Lying about injury and running the risk of losing draft picks and fines. Sounds like a topnotch idea. 

I agree but here’s all you have to do if you wanted to lie.

Doctor: Matt what’s the concern?

Matt:  My shoulder hurts.

that’s it.  

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

Thanks for the clarification. Kevin Bowen keeps saying that it was Jim Irsay that wanted Frank to pull Ryan out and put Sam in. I think what BlackTiger wrote is closer to what happened. I do think that it was Frank's decision to shelf Matt Ryan for the season because the OL was not good.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Matt had a sprained shoulder, I think there is too much skepticism over it.

To me it seems like Frank was the one who really wanted to go with Sam and Jim and Chirs were open to it to let him try and save his job.

I’ve heard this theory before. While entirely possible, I think it was more FO pressuring Reich. If he was desperate or trying to save his job, why pin his hopes on a rookie who has never played a meaningful snap over Foles, a guy he knows well and presumably trusts?

Im gonna go with what the media reported as it makes more sense to me. I know some here foam at the mouth at hearing media or sources but those two coupled together make for a more compelling argument. 

53 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree but here’s all you have to do if you wanted to lie.

Doctor: Matt what’s the concern?

Matt:  My shoulder hurts.

that’s it.  

Matt is a competitive man by nature. He’s not going to fake an injury. The emotion he showed yesterday was telling how much it meant to him to return to the field. 

13 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I’ve heard this theory before. While entirely possible, I think it was more FO pressuring Reich. If he was desperate or trying to save his job, why pin his hopes on a rookie who has never played a meaningful snap over Foles, a guy he knows well and presumably trusts?

Foles is a different discussion.  I dont believe for a second that Matt faked an injury

I dont think its that shocking that Jim, Frank and Chris wanted to see what Sam could do before they draft a qb.  It was weird how they said he would be the starter for the year though, that was uncalled for 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Foles is a different discussion.  I dont believe for a second that Matt faked an injury

I dont think its that shocking that Jim, Frank and Chris wanted to see what Sam could do before they draft a qb.  It was weird how they said he would be the starter for the year though, that was uncalled for 

Not do I think he was. I think it was used as a pretense for benching him in favor of Sam.

And wholeheartedly agree that is a possible scenario.

8 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I listened to comments that Irsay was responsible for benching Matt Ryan. Wasn't Mattie hurt and that is when Sam was inserted. What is the facts about Mattie Ice injury?

I remember Mattie locker room interview telling Laura Overton that he has was not healed yet to play the Patriots game. I am confused.

I don't think he was injured. The week before SamE. jumped in front of Foles on the Depth Chart, then he was named the starter for rest of season a.week later. The phantom injury to.Ryan was.to save Ryan some embarrassment for inserting SamE. as the starter. Then the colts said Sam was the starter for rest of season, even though Ryan's injury was supposedly only couple weeks.

Imo what changed was all the backlash and criticism of Irsay the last few weeks of meddling , his presser, firing the OC, promoting SamE. to starter, firing Frank, and hiring Saturday. There was a lot of negative press.

Whatever their plans were, it changed from all the criticism and Ryan being reinstated as the starter gave him the best chance to win and save face from the ridicule. 

Whatever happened though, Ryan getting his job back will probably cause the colts from getting a top.draft pick and potential franchise qb.

We may win some in the short term but it could cost us in the long term......So.Enjoy our wins this year.

54 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't think he was injured. The week before SamE. jumped in front of Foles on the Depth Chart, then he was named the starter for rest of season a.week later. The phantom injury to.Ryan was.to save Ryan some embarrassment for inserting SamE. as the starter. Then the colts said Sam was the starter for rest of season, even though Ryan's injury was supposedly only couple weeks.

Imo what changed was all the backlash and criticism of Irsay the last few weeks of meddling , his presser, firing the OC, promoting SamE. to starter, firing Frank, and hiring Saturday. There was a lot of negative press.

Whatever their plans were, it changed from all the criticism and Ryan being reinstated as the starter gave him the best chance to win and save face from the ridicule. 

Whatever happened though, Ryan getting his job back will probably cause the colts from getting a top.draft pick and potential franchise qb.

We may win some in the short term but it could cost us in the long term......So.Enjoy our wins this year.

You always get irritated when people like me call you a conspiracy theorist.   And then you write a post like this — a complete Conspiracy Theory filled with nothing but conjecture and opinion. 

Whatever makes you happy!   Enjoy!   :thmup:

59 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Wanting to lose games is for losers with loser mentality.  I am glad NFL players and personnel don't buy into that mindset. Neither do die hard fans. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You always get irritated when people like me call you a conspiracy theorist.   And then you write a post like this — a complete Conspiracy Theory filled with nothing but conjecture and opinion. 

Whatever makes you happy!   Enjoy!   :thmup:

If he was really hurt why was SamE. named the starter for the rest of season and claimed by Reich as being special and "has the juice"???

Why did SamE. jump foles  in the depth chart just 1 week before and then named.starter???

If.Ryan was.really hurt or hurt serious SamE..would have been named.starter until the future Hall of Famer comes back from injury, but instead he was the absolute starter.going.forward. 

It must be nice to live in a world of rainbows and candy cane and be so naive.... All the untruths this organization/world puts out and you take it or pretend to take it all in... hook, line, and sinker..:funny:

And you know for a fact what I've said for years.is on point! But............

What ever makes YOU HAPPY.....You Enjoy :thmup:

That whole situation was handled so poorly and thought so from the start. Should have just said Matt injured his throwing shoulder and is going to be out a couple weeks and that Sam was going to start in place instead of just naming him the starter and said he will be the starter going forward. Gave the team zero out and really makes us look like clowns.

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Matt was injured and i think he was hurt from the previous game but played through it.

Just now, strt182 said:

Matt was injured and i think he was hurt from the previous game but played through it.

He may have had a sore shoulder or whatever, but it wasn't serious enough to put him on.the bench for the rest of.season.and name.SamE. as the starter for the rest of season.. Proof is Ryan started on Sunday!!! ......after severe backlash, and criticism of Irsay from everyone.

Not hard to figure out.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He may have had a sore shoulder or whatever, but it wasn't serious enough to put him on.the bench for the rest of.season.and name.SamE. as the starter for the rest of season.. Proof is Ryan started on Sunday!!! ......after severe backlash, and criticism of Irsay from everyone.

Not hard to figure out.

The last game ryan played in prior to Sunday you could see him in pain and can see his throwing was affected.

37 minutes ago, strt182 said:

The last game ryan played in prior to Sunday you could see him in pain and can see his throwing was affected.

Yes, that may be true BUT it wasn't A serious.season ending injury..yet they named ehrlinger  the starter for the rest of season, not until.Ryan comes back BUT STARTER REMAINDER OF.SEASON. And logically since the colts were like only a game or two behind Tennessee, Foles should have started until Ryan healed. 

It all changed after irsay was heavily criticized like i.said.above. ....and then irsay needed to save face so they put the best option to to win in at QB(Ryan). 

Like I also said above, it's not hard to figure out. :banana:

Archived