Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts Salary Cap Situation/ Discussion

w87r

Got ya - just FWIW this is nothing like Madden or any other football game. You don't play the games really, it's not an action game at all no real graphics to speak of. It's all about here's your roster, you start out in FA season, who do you cut or keep, then you do the draft, you can make trades etc. All about stuff like exactly like you're talking about in this thread, which reminded me of it...it shows you salary cap numbers, player ratings in various categories (like QB is rated for short/medium/long passing ability, run ability, ability to read Ds, etc).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow very impressive @w87r

Next off-season during FA am hoping we bring back Rock Ya and a lot of apologies.  LCB option two would be Emmanuel Moseley (49ers).  Am expecting the 49ers to be low on cap space but Moseley had been playing well the past two season before landing on IR this year.

Do we stick with the aging McLeod or start Cross at SS?  I would be happy with either Taylor Rapp (Rams) or Marcus Epps (Eagles).  

I will have to do more research for other potential FA targets...

On 11/11/2022 at 4:53 PM, w87r said:

So will start this off with options for players to either be cut, traded or extended, to create more cap space.

2023 Cap Space: $26,056,392(10th most in league to start)(38 players under contract.

Straight Release:(realistic)

Ryan - cap savings of $17,205,882

Foles - cap savings of $2,100,000

Total Cap Savings: $19,305,882

Trade or Release options:(feasible)

Moore II - cap savings of $7,545,000

Kelly - cap savings of $7,875,000(pre June 1st)/$10,125,000(post June 1st)

Gilmore - cap savings of $9,980,000

Alie-Cox - cap savings of $2,920,000/$5,310,000 (cut/trade)

Potential Cap Savings:$28,320,000/$32,960,000

Extension/Restructure:

Buckner - 2yr $39m left non guaranteed 

Could sign new 4yr deal with base at minimum this season. $18,750,000 base-$1,120,000 minimum= $17,630,000 ÷ 4(yrs new deal) = $4,407,500($ pro rated per year)

2023 - base $1,120,000, Restruc Bonus $4,407,500, Roster Bonus $1,000,000  - cap hit $6,527,500 - savings of $13,225,000

2024 - base $20,250,000, Restruc Bonus $4,407,500 - cap hit $24,657,500

2025 -base $17,000,000, Restruc Bonus $4,407,500 - cap hit $21,407,500

2026 - base $15,000,000, Restruc Bonus $4,407,500 - cap hit $19,407,500

So 4yr $72m extension $40m guaranteed (23/24 base, roster bonus, $17.63m Restructure signing bonus)

This deal give Buckner some security and saves us $13,225,000 in 2023 cap space. With Colts commitment only for 2 years.

So with these moves alone, we can get our cap space to the following:

2023 Cap Space: $26,056,392

Ryan/Foles savings: $19,305,882

New 2023 Cap Space:$45,362,274

Buckner extension savings:$13,225,000

New 2023 Cap Space:$58,587,274

Other 4(Moore, Gilmore,Cox, Kelly) potential savings: $28,320,000/$32,960,000

New 2023 Cap Space:$86,907,274/$91,547,274

So there we have it. With 7 moves we could have $86.9-$91.5m in cap space next season.

3 of which is very likely (Ryan/Foles/Buckner)

3 of other 4 wouldn't even really be missed to much.

Even without any of those 4, we would still be setting at $58.6m.

If we did these moves we.would be setting at 32 players under contract. Important for cap counting later, as once you get to 51 players those contracts below top 51 doesn't count against the cap.

Will move on to future contracts and re-signs in next post 

Here is the key.  When you do not have a LT or QB this cap number is folly.  If we are wise the two guys that should be resigned right now are Bobby and EJ.  We need to protect the middle of this D and give us cover for losing Leonard if he does not respond to surgery.  

Me, I try to trade Buckner and Q this offseason.  If Saturday runs the ball and make Ryan accept being a game manager then I forgo QB in one next yr and I rebuild the OL.  I want a LT next yr.  The more we win this yr the worse our roster will get next yr and it WILL mean a competent GM will need to trade more vets to get us better.  

1 hour ago, joeb said:

Must resign Bobby O. He is a very important guy in this D.

Agree as well we should resign Okereke since he is having a career year.  Much better than the past two seasons.  Does seem the adjustment to new defense is working in his favor.  We have seen too many teams struggle without decent-good LBs in the league,.  Especially living here in Ohio and folks complaining how poor Cincinnati's LBs were.  Speaking of Cincinnati on the college level, a pro-club will do well drafting Ivan Pace Jr.  Pace is off to a hot start this year thanks to another local young Freshman IDL stud Dontay Corleone.  Can only dream what Pace would do with the Colts having both Buckner and Stewart up front.

A lot will depend on what happens with the coaching staff and GM. If Bradley stays I’m in favor of that Okereke deal because it’s really favorable for the Colts.

There are a few things you listed, I think should happen either way though:

-Cut/trade MAC

-Extending Buckner and Grover

-Cut/trade Leonard if you’re bringing all the other LBs back. If you sign Oke to that deal you posted, you’d basically be paying him, Franklin, and Speed less or close to what you’re paying Leonard to give you similar production

-Let Pryor walk and have someone hold the door open for him

On 11/22/2022 at 5:45 AM, Defjamz26 said:

A lot will depend on what happens with the coaching staff and GM. If Bradley stays I’m in favor of that Okereke deal because it’s really favorable for the Colts.

There are a few things you listed, I think should happen either way though:

-Cut/trade MAC

-Extending Buckner and Grover

-Cut/trade Leonard if you’re bringing all the other LBs back. If you sign Oke to that deal you posted, you’d basically be paying him, Franklin, and Speed less or close to what you’re paying Leonard to give you similar production

-Let Pryor walk and have someone hold the door open for him

Cutting Leonard is not a "reasonable" option for the obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I'd cut a ton of this roster and rebuild and I would try to trade some expensive players but I'd sign Bobby Okereke soon.   No way he is staying for 5-6 mil a yr.  It would not surprise me to see some one in our division pay him based on how well he has played.  

Tennessee will probably sign him Season 4 Falling GIF by The Simpsons

On 11/27/2022 at 8:42 AM, crazycolt1 said:

How you figure? I am pretty sure he is guaranteed.  

He has no more guaranteed money on his contract, and by cutting him before next season the team can save almost $8m in cap space. He should be a cut candidate for sure.

On 11/28/2022 at 1:14 PM, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Why when they have a better C in Jones who just resigned ?  

@2006Coltsbestever was talking about Okereke being signed by the Titans, not Ryan Kelly.

Ryan Kelly will end up being center somewhere else after this season and won't be handed the starting role easily moving forward.

I would like to see most of the defense retained. I do think I would consider trading Leonard for depth and cap space. Oke and Franklin need resigned they've held it down without Leonard. Cut Kelly, and trade Nelson for more cap space and depth pieces on the line. We need a good LT. It makes no sense paying a gaurd like a tackle when you don't have a good LT and the highest paid line in the league. 

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm curious what the colts will do with Yannick. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the guy has 8.5 sacks

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I'm curious what the colts will do with Yannick. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the guy has 8.5 sacks

I would resign him if we keep the same system.   I can’t imagine Gus not wanting him back.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I would resign him if we keep the same system.   I can’t imagine Gus not wanting him back.

Not that simple. Its a two way street. Who knows if Yannick even wants to be here after this terrible season. Also Okerke is also up for a contract as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 7:32 PM, CR91 said:

He averages about 10 sacks a year and none of the teams he’s on in ever much interested in retaining him.  After watching him, it seems clear to me why that is.  

59 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He averages about 10 sacks a year and none of the teams he’s on in ever much interested in retaining him.  After watching him, it seems clear to me why that is.  

I said it in a different thread. Yannick is the perfect situational pass rusher, but as a full-time edge, he's a liability.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, richard pallo said:

Agreed….   But I don’t think he’s a $13 mill a year player, which is what I think he made this year.  

But I’d consider signing him to a deal for 2/20.    That feels like a deal that might be a slight pay cut,  but it might also be the best deal he gets.   

On 11/26/2022 at 6:44 PM, dw49 said:

Cutting Leonard is not a "reasonable" option for the obvious reasons.

To me next year is a burn year.  U  gut  every bad  contract and take the hit next year with the expectation this team will be picking top 10 again in 2024 . I would cut Leonard.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:31 PM, Nickster said:

There will be a new coach and if he implements a new system., we could   see a lot of turnover 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because the number that’s been tossed around here is closer to $20m. 

I’m not sure what’s going on either?

Well even if that’s accurate, there’s roughly 1/3 of the league above the cap, with the saints again being WAY over. After using nearly every move they could last season. At some point having to clear 60 million every year or more in cap space will force them into a fire sale

On 11/27/2022 at 11:42 AM, crazycolt1 said:

How you figure? I am pretty sure he is guaranteed.  

I hope all is well Crazy. I'm accustomed to you, over a long time, posting serious, interesting, well thought out points of view. I really appreciate that you just don't commonly go off the rails posting the goofy, out in left field stuff.

Of course where we stand now we are left in a serious state of bewilderment with the state of our Colts. To me, i accept that with a Rookie QB headed our way that means a 2-3 year reset. That is the norm as a minumum. 
 So, will Irsay push for as many wins as possible next season, or will they save some cap space for a year as if they are in a reset?

CC1 with all due respect, it just takes a minute to open up spotrac or overthecap to check contract status. I too as time allows, post quickly which makes for less well thought out, even incomplete posts. Just gotta get my say in. 

Anyway, keep up your high hopes for our Colts and continue to stay well grounded with your perspective that is much needed here. bbz

41 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I hope all is well Crazy. I'm accustomed to you, over a long time, posting serious, interesting, well thought out points of view. I really appreciate that you just don't commonly go off the rails posting the goofy, out in left field stuff.

Of course where we stand now we are left in a serious state of bewilderment with the state of our Colts. To me, i accept that with a Rookie QB headed our way that means a 2-3 year reset. That is the norm as a minumum. 
 So, will Irsay push for as many wins as possible next season, or will they save some cap space for a year as if they are in a reset?

CC1 with all due respect, it just takes a minute to open up spotrac or overthecap to check contract status. I too as time allows, post quickly which makes for less well thought out, even incomplete posts. Just gotta get my say in. 

Anyway, keep up your high hopes for our Colts and continue to stay well grounded with your perspective that is much needed here. bbz

I much appreciate you taking the time to explain yourself in a very respectful way. That is something we could all take a lesson in. 

Over the years we have seen everything the Colts had to offer. From a superbowl to the bottom of the barrel and everything in-between.  

Like him or not, Irsay is one of a kind that shows passion. Nothing I can say that most of us already knows. 

Regardless of our opinions all of us share one thing and that is being a Colts fan. 

Kenny 

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't appear Ryan is retiring, so we are "stuck" with him and that large chunk of lost change. Given we're almost certain to draft a QB with that first pick who won't cost much, it shouldn't hurt us too much, but having that extra money could have gone elsewhere. 

13 hours ago, jonjon said:

It doesn't appear Ryan is retiring, so we are "stuck" with him and that large chunk of lost change. Given we're almost certain to draft a QB with that first pick who won't cost much, it shouldn't hurt us too much, but having that extra money could have gone elsewhere. 

I wouldn't call paying Ryan what his contract calls for being "stuck". 

Both parties signed and agreed to the contract.  There is no legitimate reason for Ryan to walk away from getting the money him and the Colts agreed to.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 10:59 AM, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Here is the key.  When you do not have a LT or QB this cap number is folly.  If we are wise the two guys that should be resigned right now are Bobby and EJ.  We need to protect the middle of this D and give us cover for losing Leonard if he does not respond to surgery.  

Me, I try to trade Buckner and Q this offseason.  If Saturday runs the ball and make Ryan accept being a game manager then I forgo QB in one next yr and I rebuild the OL.  I want a LT next yr.  The more we win this yr the worse our roster will get next yr and it WILL mean a competent GM will need to trade more vets to get us better.  

Nelson has absolutely no trade  value 

Archived