Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Damning Reports on the Colts Organizational Moves!

philba101

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Totally agree. Just think if this happened in your own work place. There would be a lot of employees and assistant managers ready to walk off the job and/or have their resumes ready to go. The owner has hired a new manager to come in run the whole show with absolutely no supervisor experience and his only claim to fame is that he was once a valued employee years ago. 

It's more about the Bobs, not about the Ws/Ls... 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not semantics... I gave factual/logical info why... 

If you don't like LC, and acknowledge he's been full of bull and wrong, what is your point... He's horrible... he's been wrong historically, and either his "sources" were wrong, or simply bull'd or made up.. 

So if you can't debate the bolded.... or even agree with it... than why is it crazy to doubt his reporting... 

And perhaps... maybe we just fired one or two sources... lol... 

This is like discrediting a weatherman because he's been wrong before, even though he's telling you about the rain storm that you can see from your window.

We all know there's a storm at the Colts complex. You just want to talk about how much you dislike the reporter. 

If his report was outlandish, go ahead and doubt it. What he's saying is obvious. 

No doubt this is been a crazy stretch for a very proud team. The odds that this will be successful are very low. You hire a man that has no coaching experience at all and a play caller that is just thirty years old.  Ofcourse it’s a wait and see but most fans will lose faith very quickly if this fails. I will never give up on this team even though this all seems shady and it’s easy for a fan to say this is a way to tank the season. Each press conference, game and practice will be multiplied with scrutiny. It all starts on Sunday

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is like discrediting a weatherman because he's been wrong before, even though he's telling you about the rain storm that you can see from your window.

We all know there's a storm at the Colts complex. You just want to talk about how much you dislike the reporter. 

If his report was outlandish, go ahead and doubt it. What he's saying is obvious. 

That's a horrible analogy... 

We all know the weather is a guess.

But when you say "this guy will be the next coach per my inside sources", then the next day, not only the guy is not the coach, but it's someone else is named, then it is totally LOL.... 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So if someone in the media said Matt Ryan said our FO sucks, are you going to believe it?

You're conflating specific words spoken with overall sentiment.

You think that Ryan is happy that the OL has been catastrophically worse than what he was sold, that he was benched, that the HC he built a strong relationship with was fired in the manner he was, and that Reich was replaced by someone outside of the existing coaching staff? His public words say one thing, but that doesn't mean he feels completely different in private and has voiced that frustration to other people in private.

You're saying "this is what he's said publically, so those private comments must be fake/incorrect" which is ignoring the real possibility that his public comments and private feelings are very different.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Its ironic for you to say this.  You seem to be The Messenger Slayer of colts.com message boards. 

I do agree with you strongly on this topic though.   There is NO WAY ON GOD"S GREEN EARTH these guys are down with SLingin Sammy E at QB.

I think who is quarterbacking right now is one of MANY issues going on right now.  It’s just one piece of a much larger puzzle.  

Im pushing back on those who think this is a bogus story.   There’s no reason for anyone to be surprised at this.   I think the Colts are a spectacular mess right now.   Too many people seem unwilling to accept that notion. 

@Superman

this is not weather....

a quick google... a link if you want to read the entire article... but here's a cuts... 

https://www.outkick.com/cbs-jason-la-canfora-jonathan-jones/

"NFL insider Jason La Canfora will not return to the CBS pregame show NFL Today this season.

In a now-deleted tweet, La Canfora said he appreciated his 10 years as lead CBS NFL Insider and will now focus on Audacy audio.

And on Wednesday, CBS announced reporter Jonathan Jones would replace La Canfora on the pregame show.

For the past three to four seasons, there had been rumors that CBS would remove La Canfora from the role but never ultimately pulled the trigger until now.

As CBS NFL Insider, La Canfora was unable to compete with rivals Ian Rapoport (NFL Network), Adam Schefter (ESPN) and Jay Glazer (Fox Sports) in terms of news-breaking.

La Canfora gained a reputation for breaking “not true” stories. His inaccurate reporting became a running joke on NFL blogs.

There are entire web pages dedicated to La Canfora’s fake scoops. Here are some examples:"

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think who is quarterbacking right now is one of MANY issues going on right now.  It’s just one piece of a much larger puzzle.  

Im pushing back on those who think this is a bogus story.   There’s no reason for anyone to be surprised at this.   I think the Colts are a spectacular mess right now.   Too many people seem unwilling to accept that notion. 

I agree, and as a media guy you know sources as you said.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised at the reports.  Guys make money off the QB.  There is no way dudes are cool with going to Sam.  

That being said, I'm glad we are tanking.  We need to.  And we need to get rid of a lot of our players, but I'm afraid many we need to jettison have ZERO trade value. 

I had a MLB friend and another guy who played many years in the METS org, and from them it became pretty clear that the media image and the actual person are often no where close to the same thing. 

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree, and as a media guy you know sources as you said.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised at the reports.  Guys make money off the QB.  There is no way dudes are cool with going to Sam.  

That being said, I'm glad we are tanking.  We need to.  And we need to get rid of a lot of our players, but I'm afraid many we need to jettison have ZERO trade value. 

I had a MLB friend and another guy who played many years in the METS org, and from them it became pretty clear that the media image and the actual person are often no where close to the same thing. 

People here thought Wentz had zero trade value.   That worked out alright. 

If the Colts decided to move the players Yiu wanted them to, they’d get picks back. Maybe not the haul we’d all want, but the players have value.   The only question is how much? 

I think the answer is between more than you think and less than the Colts would  want. 

2 hours ago, NFLUp said:

Wait, what?

so because these people are talking about the Colts, they’re not to be believed?  

did you miss the whole blowup with Snyder in Washington?  Plenty of people had lots to say about that.  

How is reporting what owners/players/etc, are saying “bad mouthing”?  Sounds like you just don’t want there to be negative press about the Colts.

fact is, there has been universal laughter about what’s been happening in Indy this week.  Reporting that isn’t “bad mouthing”, it’s reporting the truth. 

Wait What?

Because I question the motivations of NFL execs calling the media to freak out about another teams interim coach that means I only want positive media?

I think you are putting words in my mouth and being pretty aggressive about it.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

People here thought Wentz had zero trade value.   That worked out alright. 

If the Colts decided to move the players Yiu wanted them to, they’d get picks back. Maybe not the haul we’d all want, but the players have value.   The only question is how much? 

I think the answer is between more than you think and less than the Colts would  want. 

Well Wentz was a 1 year deal. And he's a QB.  That is different.   We essentially received a 3rd pick for the dude.  But the Commies aren't hamstrung by his future contract.  The only risk they had was a 3rd round pick.  No salary demands beyond this season. 

I'd say we have little to no value in most players we'd be willing to trade.  Day 3 picks but we'd be lucky to find someone to dump some of these salaries on.  I'm not really counting that.  I mean fine, but I'm talking about guys you can trade for quality draft picks. 

Right now I think you'd could find a 2nd for Pittman, maybe a late 1st.  I don't know if I'd do that, but I also don't know if I'd want to pay Pittman.  

JT with injury is a question mark.  But I could see getting a 2nd for him. 

I think you could get a late type 1st for Paye, but I wouldn't trade him on a rookie salary. 

I don't think any of our linemen are tradeable.  I would be shocked if someone would pick up Q's salary.  

Big Grove is good but just a 1Tech.

I don't know man.  Who do you think we could get trade value for?

With all of this assuming that people are doing.....and "sourced" gossiping the media is doing.....has anybody heard, or has the media asked.......

"Jim, why do you think Jeff Saturday would be a better IHC than someone on your staff, say, Gus Bradley who has been an NFL coach for many years and even an NFL coach once before.  Jim, why is Jeff more qualified at this time?"

You know, why can't a media person press him on a direct question instead of sourcing material to write an article that is really nothing more than gossip.  

Irsay spoke on the hiring, but didn't really get into more details about why he hired Saturday over an experienced coach....unless I missed it.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well Wentz was a 1 year deal. And he's a QB.  That is different.   We essentially received a 3rd pick for the dude.  But the Commies aren't hamstrung by his future contract.  The only risk they had was a 3rd round pick.  No salary demands beyond this season. 

I'd say we have little to no value in most players we'd be willing to trade.  Day 3 picks but we'd be lucky to find someone to dump some of these salaries on.  I'm not really counting that.  I mean fine, but I'm talking about guys you can trade for quality draft picks. 

Right now I think you'd could find a 2nd for Pittman, maybe a late 1st.  I don't know if I'd do that, but I also don't know if I'd want to pay Pittman.  

JT with injury is a question mark.  But I could see getting a 2nd for him. 

I think you could get a late type 1st for Paye, but I wouldn't trade him on a rookie salary. 

I don't think any of our linemen are tradeable.  I would be shocked if someone would pick up Q's salary.  

Big Grove is good but just a 1Tech.

I don't know man.  Who do you think we could get trade value for?

Only a 3rd round pick?     Huh?

The Colts got a 2 or 3 last year and another 3 this coming year.    Plus they got a pick swap that had 4th round value.  The Colts did really well. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Only a 3rd round pick?     Huh?

The Colts got a 2 or 3 last year and another 3 this coming year.    Plus they got a pick swap that had 4th round value.  The Colts did really well. 

They got 2 3rds.  But again man QBs are different.  Teams take risks on those guys all the time when they don't do it as much at other positions. 

What kind of trade value do you think we'd get on guys?

And brother two 3rds for the 9th rated QB in QBR last year shouldn't be all that surprising. 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

With all of this assuming that people are doing.....and "sourced" gossiping the media is doing.....has anybody heard, or has the media asked.......

"Jim, why do you think Jeff Saturday would be a better IHC than someone on your staff, say, Gus Bradley who has been an NFL coach for many years and even an NFL coach once before.  Jim, why is Jeff more qualified at this time?"

You know, why can't a media person press him on a direct question instead of sourcing material to write an article that is really nothing more than gossip.  

Irsay spoke on the hiring, but didn't really get into more details about why he hired Saturday over an experienced coach....unless I missed it.

Well….  The two stories out this morning are NOT from Indy best writers.  They were written by NFL national writers.   Can’t blame Indy writers for something they didn’t do. 

As for Irsay,  when pressed about Saturday, he insisted JS was fully qualified and that he (Irsay) was right because he also promoted Bruce Arians to Interim Head Coach and Irsay was right about that decision.    Yes, he compared plucking Saturday with zero NFL or college coaching experience with Arians who had a long history of success at the highest level.   That was painful. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Totally agree. Just think if this happened in your own work place. There would be a lot of employees and assistant managers ready to walk off the job and/or have their resumes ready to go. The owner has hired a new manager to come in run the whole show with absolutely no supervisor experience and his only claim to fame is that he was once a valued employee years ago. 

He was an all star employee.   The other workers are part of the store failing the past couple years.   It would make no sense to promote a part of a failing team.  Makes much more sense to bring back a great employee from the stores hay day. 

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

They got 2 3rds.  But again man QBs are different.  Teams take risks on those guys all the time when they don't do it as much at other positions. 

What kind of trade value do you think we'd get on guys?

And brother two 3rds for the 9th rated QB in QBR last year shouldn't be all that surprising. 

I don’t know and don’t much care.   If I had to guess, a Day 2 pick and a Day 3 pick for Nelson and Leonard.   But, I don’t think either gets moved this off-season.   Too much Dead Cap Penalty for guys with new contracts. 

47 minutes ago, Shive said:

You're conflating specific words spoken with overall sentiment.

You think that Ryan is happy that the OL has been catastrophically worse than what he was sold, that he was benched, that the HC he built a strong relationship with was fired in the manner he was, and that Reich was replaced by someone outside of the existing coaching staff? His public words say one thing, but that doesn't mean he feels completely different in private and has voiced that frustration to other people in private.

You're saying "this is what he's said publically, so those private comments must be fake/incorrect" which is ignoring the real possibility that his public comments and private feelings are very different.

I think he is upset but not mad to the point where it is a huge deal. More like he is disappointed.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know and don’t much care.   If I had to guess, a Day 2 pick and a Day 3 pick for Nelson and Leonard.   But, I don’t think either gets moved this off-season.   Too much Dead Cap Penalty for guys with new contracts. 

That was what I am saying man.  We aren't going to be able to rebuild by trading guys for higher draft picks.  You seem to agree with that assessment. 

18 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Why?

Players retire. Even in their prime. It's not common, but it happens. And we simply promoted QB2 to QB1. 

Coaches back out, it happens. And because it was still early in the off-season, we just continued the coaching search and hired someone else. 

No one expected either of those things to happen, but the resulting decisions were predictable and usual. 

In this case, coaches get fired midseason, even sometimes after receiving the dreaded vote of confidence from ownership/management. It's not surprising that Reich was fired. The usual, predictable next step is to promote someone from the staff to be the interim HC. Hiring a guy who was not on the staff and who has never been on an NFL staff is totally unprecedented. Having an introductory press conference with the owner and the GM, as if it's mid January and this is normal, is another unusual element. The situation is wild, and it's because of the team's handling of it. 

59 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

That's a horrible analogy... 

We all know the weather is a guess.

But when you say "this guy will be the next coach per my inside sources", then the next day, not only the guy is not the coach, but it's someone else is named, then it is totally LOL.... 

The weather isn't a guess during a rainstorm. La Canfora and everyone else are saying 'man, it's really coming down,' and you're talking about how he's been wrong in the past. 

None of these reporters are the story. All they're saying is 'it sounds pretty crazy inside the Colts' facility, and people around the league are shocked,' which is all plainly obvious. And you're talking about how he can't be trusted. Don't trust him, just look at what's going on. He's not saying anything that requires second guessing. 

Now if some of the reactions are exaggerated, or some of the happenings embellished, or the conclusions based on supposition, then be selective. But in general, staff and players being upset and other team personnel being surprised, this stuff is basic. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

@Superman

this is not weather....

a quick google... a link if you want to read the entire article... but here's a cuts... 

https://www.outkick.com/cbs-jason-la-canfora-jonathan-jones/

"NFL insider Jason La Canfora will not return to the CBS pregame show NFL Today this season.

In a now-deleted tweet, La Canfora said he appreciated his 10 years as lead CBS NFL Insider and will now focus on Audacy audio.

And on Wednesday, CBS announced reporter Jonathan Jones would replace La Canfora on the pregame show.

For the past three to four seasons, there had been rumors that CBS would remove La Canfora from the role but never ultimately pulled the trigger until now.

As CBS NFL Insider, La Canfora was unable to compete with rivals Ian Rapoport (NFL Network), Adam Schefter (ESPN) and Jay Glazer (Fox Sports) in terms of news-breaking.

La Canfora gained a reputation for breaking “not true” stories. His inaccurate reporting became a running joke on NFL blogs.

There are entire web pages dedicated to La Canfora’s fake scoops. Here are some examples:"

The same La Canfora that said Peyton wasn't a Top 10 QB of all-time back in 2010. Nah it can't be chuckling homer simpson GIF- Peyton had won 4 League MVP's at the time and a SB MVP + won a SB and won more games than anyone in 1 decade from 2000-2009. What a joke.

The past few weeks are indicative of just how "herky jerky" that Jim Irsay can be as an owner.  

The press conference showed why former GM Bill Polian didn't want Irsay doing the talking for the team.

Irsay loves his team - loves Indy - and - loves the fans.

BUT............

As fans - we just have to wish the best to Frank Reich and Marcus Brady as they move on to the next chapter of their lives and careers.

Wish the best to Jeff Saturday - the coaching staff - and - the players as they finish out the 2022 season.

Buckle up Buttercup - it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

You guys can discredit La Canfora all you want. I happen to agree he is an *. However that doesn't make the Colts any less of a trainwreck currently. If you choose to bury your head in the sand or hide behind your blue shades so be it. But as Superman has said in many posts in this thread...non of this is hard to believe that it may be true given the current state of the team.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

The weather isn't a guess during a rainstorm. La Canfora and everyone else are saying 'man, it's really coming down,' and you're talking about how he's been wrong in the past. 

None of these reporters are the story. All they're saying is 'it sounds pretty crazy inside the Colts' facility, and people around the league are shocked,' which is all plainly obvious. And you're talking about how he can't be trusted. Don't trust him, just look at what's going on. He's not saying anything that requires second guessing. 

Now if some of the reactions are exaggerated, or some of the happenings embellished, or the conclusions based on supposition, then be selective. But in general, staff and players being upset and other team personnel being surprised, this stuff is basic. 

Sorry... see below (again) ... if you are a writer/media person known as described below (see bolded)... I'm going to doubt everything he says... He's lost credibility, even when he might report obvious stuff, or even if correct info... So it's not a smear job of LC... He has earned a rep... 

"La Canfora gained a reputation for breaking “not true” stories. His inaccurate reporting became a running joke on NFL blogs.

7 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

You guys can discredit La Canfora all you want. I happen to agree he is an *. However that doesn't make the Colts any less of a trainwreck currently. If you choose to bury your head in the sand or hide behind your blue shades so be it. But as Superman has said in many posts in this thread...non of this is hard to believe that it may be true given the current state of the team.

Nobody is burying their head in the sand lmao . I see what is going on with our team, I am just not a quitter. I played sports and ran in marathons. 

I would love to have a top 5 pick and I know we have problems, anyone with knowledge would know that, doesn't mean we just tank either. 

6 hours ago, philba101 said:

Who is crying? The Colts fans deserve to see what is happening within their organization. Also, spilled milk suggests an accident, all these stories from within the organization suggest intentionality. Big difference.

Simply saying it’s time move ahead and stop with the finger-pointing.

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

He was an all star employee.   The other workers are part of the store failing the past couple years.   It would make no sense to promote a part of a failing team.  Makes much more sense to bring back a great employee from the stores hay day. 

People can justify it all they want. I am not talking about the decision to bring in Saturday on whether it is right or wrong or will it be a success or not. I am talking about the reaction and feelings of those super competing type A guys in that building. Whether u believe LaCanfora or not . U may think  he may it all up and/or its gossip. I don't need him to write me a factual or fictitious article to know that there are a lot of angry, perplexed, stunned, happy and content people in that building. That being said, I would say the majority of emotions are on the negative side. The simple solution is for Satursay to show he knows what he is doing. If this decision becomes an absolute disaster moving forward, you risk having an out right mutiny during and at the end of the season.  Players wanting out and coaches demanding their releases. Plus good luck getting anyone else in  here with any credibility as they will view Irsay as a loose cannon and no one will want to work under his rule. So yes, this Saturday hire does have serious ramifications if it goes side ways fast.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The same La Canfora that said Peyton wasn't a Top 10 QB of all-time back in 2010. Nah it can't be chuckling homer simpson GIF- Peyton had won 4 League MVP's at the time and a SB MVP + won a SB and won more games than anyone in 1 decade from 2000-2009. What a joke.

Anyone that defends La Canfora, likely doesn't know his awful track record.

And anyone knows, and still defends La Canfora, you have to ask why... 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Anyone that defends La Canfora, likely doesn't know his awful track record.

And anyone knows, and still defends La Canfora, you have to ask why... 

and Howe is a Patriots lover, I have read his stuff going way back to 2009. He has took so many jabs at the Colts over the last decade that it is unreal. Yet, I have no idea who Howe is according too - I won't say his name because I am over it.

6 hours ago, philba101 said:

Here are the highlights or more accurately the lowlights of new articles from Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post and Jeff Howe of the Athletic. The articles detail the reactions from around the league and from within the Colts locker room on the firing of Frank Reich and the hiring of Jeff Saturday.  The reactions are not good. Some quotes are long but worth the read.

1. The determination made by some NFL general managers, executives and player agents this week, many of whom reached out to me before I could even solicit their thoughts on the Colts’ owner. Irsay’s decision to fire coach Frank Reich — a man with a winning record (40-33-1) despite perpetual mismanagement of the quarterback position by the front office and a new opening day starter all five years on the job — and replace him with former center Jeff Saturday — who has no coaching experience above the high school level (even those results were spotty) and no real ambition to coach in the NFL (by his own admission) — was bizarre, stupefying and largely without precedent. (La Canfora)

2. NFL execs bewildered by Colts’ hiring of Jeff Saturday: ‘Crazy,’ ‘Never seen anything like it, will never see anything like it again’-(Howe). 

2. “Frank never wanted to change QBs, and if he was forced to do it and it was up to him, he would have gone to [veteran Nick] Foles,” said a longtime confidant of Reich’s who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal their private conversation. Reich “knew Ehlinger wasn’t ready to play. He would never fire Marcus Brady like that. Frank doesn’t fire anyone. That’s not how he operates. This is all Irsay. Frank will take the high road, and he won’t say anything about it. But that’s how it went down.”(La Canfora)

3. One NFL general manager with ties to several key members of the Colts’ staff said in the immediate aftermath of Reich’s firing Monday — but before Saturday had been named the replacement — that the moves were “all premeditated. The owner is already on to next year. It’s already about next year. He’s tanking for a QB. It was obvious when he benched a $30 million guy for a guy who can’t play. That’s what this is about.” (La Canfora)

4. Ryan and other veteran players were irate when informed of the decision by General Manager Chris Ballard, who told them this came directly from the owner, according to multiple individuals who discussed this with Colts players but were not authorized to speak for them. Several players said privately they did not want to play there anymore; Irsay waited until after the trade deadline to pull this trick. (La Canfora)

5. “I’ve talked to coaches there, and they are all like, ‘What the f--- just happened?” said an individual who has worked with members of the Colts’ staff and remains in close contact with them but who spoke on the condition of anonymity when discussing private conversations. Irsay “had three guys he could have promoted who could have done the job, and he hires a guy off his couch from ESPN? Trust me, inside that building they know this is an absolute waterfall of s---. The coaches and players know this is a total tank job. That’s what they’re all talking about.”(La Canfora) 

5. Not surprisingly, Saturday had great difficulty finding anyone willing to take over as offensive coordinator and call plays Sunday against the Las Vegas Raiders. His top pick, quarterbacks coach Scott Milanovich (like Reich, a former University of Maryland standout), turned it down, according to individuals with knowledge of the situation. The newbie finally settled on another novice to give it a shot: Parks Frazier, the Colts’ 30-year-old assistant quarterbacks coach, who has no history running an offense. (La Canfora)

6. “Jeff has a huge problem with that staff already,” said one longtime agent who has discussed the matter with Colts players and coaches. “The owner just threw that staff completely under the bus. He could have helped Jeff if he handled it the right way, but Irsay completely butchered this. Everything he said was a smack in the face to the coaching profession in many ways. His comments were atrocious to the coaching fraternity, and now Jeff is supposed to be their boss. I don’t see how that’s supposed to work.” (La Canfora).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/09/jim-irsay-jeff-saturday-colts/

https://theathletic.com/3773792/2022/11/08/colts-jeff-saturday-jim-irsay-frank-reich/

I'm not irsay's  biggest fan, but in my opinion, firing Reich was justified. In fact, I think it shoulda been done before this season. The media likes Reich for some reason and usually say he's A good coach. We colt fans that follow the colts game in, game out for the last five seasons know differently. The excuse that he's always had a different QB every year is lame. Having a Luck, a Rivers, A Ryan, and even the QB he wanted(Wentz) is mostly a good thing for a coach, not a liability or excuse to fail!

Yeah Hiring Saturday was a surprise and risky but most likely he's only a interim anyway. The media and league don't like that Saturday hasn't paid his dues and turns off other coaches with experience.. I've seen many HC's  fail when given a HC gig despite their experience. 

We'll see how he does, can't do much worse than some of.Belicheks assistants when they were  promoted.

Archived