Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Damning Reports on the Colts Organizational Moves!

philba101

Here are the highlights or more accurately the lowlights of new articles from Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post and Jeff Howe of the Athletic. The articles detail the reactions from around the league and from within the Colts locker room on the firing of Frank Reich and the hiring of Jeff Saturday.  The reactions are not good. Some quotes are long but worth the read.

1. The determination made by some NFL general managers, executives and player agents this week, many of whom reached out to me before I could even solicit their thoughts on the Colts’ owner. Irsay’s decision to fire coach Frank Reich — a man with a winning record (40-33-1) despite perpetual mismanagement of the quarterback position by the front office and a new opening day starter all five years on the job — and replace him with former center Jeff Saturday — who has no coaching experience above the high school level (even those results were spotty) and no real ambition to coach in the NFL (by his own admission) — was bizarre, stupefying and largely without precedent. (La Canfora)

2. NFL execs bewildered by Colts’ hiring of Jeff Saturday: ‘Crazy,’ ‘Never seen anything like it, will never see anything like it again’-(Howe). 

2. “Frank never wanted to change QBs, and if he was forced to do it and it was up to him, he would have gone to [veteran Nick] Foles,” said a longtime confidant of Reich’s who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal their private conversation. Reich “knew Ehlinger wasn’t ready to play. He would never fire Marcus Brady like that. Frank doesn’t fire anyone. That’s not how he operates. This is all Irsay. Frank will take the high road, and he won’t say anything about it. But that’s how it went down.”(La Canfora)

3. One NFL general manager with ties to several key members of the Colts’ staff said in the immediate aftermath of Reich’s firing Monday — but before Saturday had been named the replacement — that the moves were “all premeditated. The owner is already on to next year. It’s already about next year. He’s tanking for a QB. It was obvious when he benched a $30 million guy for a guy who can’t play. That’s what this is about.” (La Canfora)

4. Ryan and other veteran players were irate when informed of the decision by General Manager Chris Ballard, who told them this came directly from the owner, according to multiple individuals who discussed this with Colts players but were not authorized to speak for them. Several players said privately they did not want to play there anymore; Irsay waited until after the trade deadline to pull this trick. (La Canfora)

5. “I’ve talked to coaches there, and they are all like, ‘What the f--- just happened?” said an individual who has worked with members of the Colts’ staff and remains in close contact with them but who spoke on the condition of anonymity when discussing private conversations. Irsay “had three guys he could have promoted who could have done the job, and he hires a guy off his couch from ESPN? Trust me, inside that building they know this is an absolute waterfall of s---. The coaches and players know this is a total tank job. That’s what they’re all talking about.”(La Canfora) 

5. Not surprisingly, Saturday had great difficulty finding anyone willing to take over as offensive coordinator and call plays Sunday against the Las Vegas Raiders. His top pick, quarterbacks coach Scott Milanovich (like Reich, a former University of Maryland standout), turned it down, according to individuals with knowledge of the situation. The newbie finally settled on another novice to give it a shot: Parks Frazier, the Colts’ 30-year-old assistant quarterbacks coach, who has no history running an offense. (La Canfora)

6. “Jeff has a huge problem with that staff already,” said one longtime agent who has discussed the matter with Colts players and coaches. “The owner just threw that staff completely under the bus. He could have helped Jeff if he handled it the right way, but Irsay completely butchered this. Everything he said was a smack in the face to the coaching profession in many ways. His comments were atrocious to the coaching fraternity, and now Jeff is supposed to be their boss. I don’t see how that’s supposed to work.” (La Canfora).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/09/jim-irsay-jeff-saturday-colts/

https://theathletic.com/3773792/2022/11/08/colts-jeff-saturday-jim-irsay-frank-reich/

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Stop crying over spilled milk.  

Who is crying? The Colts fans deserve to see what is happening within their organization. Also, spilled milk suggests an accident, all these stories from within the organization suggest intentionality. Big difference.

Another WP hit job. :lol: 

They're not saying anything that hasn't been posted on this board. After surviving the Colts 80's and half of the 90's my football storm shelter is fortified. Colts newby fans will be hit hardest by the "crazy" moves and negative media. To me? It's kind of nostalgic... :rock:

20 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Here are the highlights or more accurately the lowlights of new articles from Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post and Jeff Howe of the Athletic. The articles detail the reactions from around the league and from within the Colts locker room on the firing of Frank Reich and the hiring of Jeff Saturday.  The reactions are not good. Some quotes are long but worth the read.

1. The determination made by some NFL general managers, executives and player agents this week, many of whom reached out to me before I could even solicit their thoughts on the Colts’ owner. Irsay’s decision to fire coach Frank Reich — a man with a winning record (40-33-1) despite perpetual mismanagement of the quarterback position by the front office and a new opening day starter all five years on the job — and replace him with former center Jeff Saturday — who has no coaching experience above the high school level (even those results were spotty) and no real ambition to coach in the NFL (by his own admission) — was bizarre, stupefying and largely without precedent. (La Canfora)

2. NFL execs bewildered by Colts’ hiring of Jeff Saturday: ‘Crazy,’ ‘Never seen anything like it, will never see anything like it again’-(Howe). 

2. “Frank never wanted to change QBs, and if he was forced to do it and it was up to him, he would have gone to [veteran Nick] Foles,” said a longtime confidant of Reich’s who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal their private conversation. Reich “knew Ehlinger wasn’t ready to play. He would never fire Marcus Brady like that. Frank doesn’t fire anyone. That’s not how he operates. This is all Irsay. Frank will take the high road, and he won’t say anything about it. But that’s how it went down.”(La Canfora)

3. One NFL general manager with ties to several key members of the Colts’ staff said in the immediate aftermath of Reich’s firing Monday — but before Saturday had been named the replacement — that the moves were “all premeditated. The owner is already on to next year. It’s already about next year. He’s tanking for a QB. It was obvious when he benched a $30 million guy for a guy who can’t play. That’s what this is about.” (La Canfora)

4. Ryan and other veteran players were irate when informed of the decision by General Manager Chris Ballard, who told them this came directly from the owner, according to multiple individuals who discussed this with Colts players but were not authorized to speak for them. Several players said privately they did not want to play there anymore; Irsay waited until after the trade deadline to pull this trick. (La Canfora)

5. “I’ve talked to coaches there, and they are all like, ‘What the f--- just happened?” said an individual who has worked with members of the Colts’ staff and remains in close contact with them but who spoke on the condition of anonymity when discussing private conversations. Irsay “had three guys he could have promoted who could have done the job, and he hires a guy off his couch from ESPN? Trust me, inside that building they know this is an absolute waterfall of s---. The coaches and players know this is a total tank job. That’s what they’re all talking about.”(La Canfora) 

5. Not surprisingly, Saturday had great difficulty finding anyone willing to take over as offensive coordinator and call plays Sunday against the Las Vegas Raiders. His top pick, quarterbacks coach Scott Milanovich (like Reich, a former University of Maryland standout), turned it down, according to individuals with knowledge of the situation. The newbie finally settled on another novice to give it a shot: Parks Frazier, the Colts’ 30-year-old assistant quarterbacks coach, who has no history running an offense. (La Canfora)

6. “Jeff has a huge problem with that staff already,” said one longtime agent who has discussed the matter with Colts players and coaches. “The owner just threw that staff completely under the bus. He could have helped Jeff if he handled it the right way, but Irsay completely butchered this. Everything he said was a smack in the face to the coaching profession in many ways. His comments were atrocious to the coaching fraternity, and now Jeff is supposed to be their boss. I don’t see how that’s supposed to work.” (La Canfora).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/09/jim-irsay-jeff-saturday-colts/

https://theathletic.com/3773792/2022/11/08/colts-jeff-saturday-jim-irsay-frank-reich/

If it was easy, anyone could do it. Everything said above is understandable. Now, do what needs to be done!

La Canfora is a Colts hater, always has been going back to the Peyton days. I haven't heard 1 Colts player say they are upset by the Frank firing. Until I see 5 or 6 players publicly say they are upset by the firing and do not want to play, I call nonsense. La Canfora is a typical crap stirrer. I will call it like I see it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Le Canfora is a Colts hater, always has been going back to the Peyton days. I haven't heard 1 Colts player say they are upset by the Frank firing. Until I see 5 or 6 players publicly say they are upset by the firing and do not want to play, I call nonsense. La Canfora is a typical crap stirrer. I will call it like I see it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

I think it is super risky for players to say that they didn't want the old coach fired when you already have a new coach. Maybe some did want him fired but they didn't want it happening like this. Canfora isn't the only one saying these things. I believe that Reich did not want to fire Brady and that he never would have done it had Irsay not forced his hand. I believe that Ryan and other players were * at the way Reich has been treated, regardless of whether he deserved to be fired or not. I believe many of the coaches and players are * that someone with no legitimate coaching experience is taking over the helm. 

I for one am not buying the narratives that is being regurgitated and pushed through media and their "sources". This seems like gaslighting a fire that is based off media pushed narratives to me. Just as the whole race card has been pushed when this organization has shown just the opposite of said race narrative in the past. This game will be very telling as to how this team seems to play and whether they play together, or they seem to not care at all. If there is any truth to the reports being pushed then it will show up on the field. 

Even if they lose this game, but they play as a team and look to be playing to win this game I'm calling nonsense to these reports for sure. For if there are coaches and players * and wish they could leave the organization at this point it will be apparent when they kick off on Sunday.

Thanks for posting this @philba101

Im guessing you’re not going to get much support over this.   I’d like to be wrong and would be surprised if I am.   But some are simply going to rally around Irsay and Saturday and the team.  

This is why I think Ballard leaves after the season.   The idea that he stays after the owner has thrown the staff under the bus and players aren’t happy either just doesn’t add up to me.   If he wants to hold on to his job — well,  fine.   But the owner has blown up the team and the locker room.  That goes on Ballard’s resume too. 

I feel bad for a lot of people.   Going to be another WILD off-season. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im guessing you’re not going to get much support over this.   I’d like to be wrong and would be surprised if I am.   But some are simply going to rally around Irsay and Saturday and the team.  

This is why I think Ballard leaves after the season.   The idea that he stays after the owner has thrown the staff under the bus and players aren’t happy either just doesn’t add up to me.   If he wants to hold on to his job — well,  fine.   But the owner has blown up the team and the locker room.  That goes on Ballard’s resume too. 

Sad, but true I am afraid.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nothing to be sad about, how does anyone in the media know whether or not how the players feel about about Frank being fired when not 1 player has commented on it. Guys like Gregg Doyle and La Canfora stir up so much bull that it is comical. Everyone can see right through it.

Certainly not a great situation.   I said in another post that everyone in the organization has been put on notice and all of this just confirms that to me.  

If guys want to be upset and not give their best for the organization they will be gone.  I think that goes for players and coaches.   

Everyone is auditioning for next year.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nothing to be sad about, how does anyone in the media know whether or not how the players feel about about Frank being fired when not 1 player has commented on it. Guys like Gregg Doyle and La Canfora stir up so much bull that it is comical. Everyone can see right through it.

You could be right. This could all be for hits or attention for these writers. I don't think this is all coming from just La Canfora. The Athletic, Sports Illustrated and others are all claiming they have inside sources who are speaking on condition of anonymity. Coaches and players know if they blast an organization publicly that it can hurt their future prospects. So, if reporters aren't going to dig for this story, then we will never get to know how the players really feel. Reich, after being fired over the phone, could blast this organization and all the dysfunctionality that is going on, of course we know he is not going to do that because he is a class individual and again it does not help his future prospects.

I like Saturday a lot and, while not a fan of Ballard's teambuilding, he and Ballard deserved better than this. Irsay completely screwed over the coaching staff and the players. Can't say I'm surprised about the Reich firing. But it probably should have happened after the season.

Morale has to be at an all time low in the building.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

4. "Ryan and other veteran players were irate" - really? I haven't seen it anywhere or heard it anywhere. Interesting. If I talked to Matt Ryan today I doubt he would say he was irate. He never complains.

Do you know Colts insiders?

Matt wouldn't say if he was or is irate. That would be career suicide.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

4. "Ryan and other veteran players were irate" - really? I haven't seen it anywhere or heard it anywhere. Interesting. If I talked to Matt Ryan today I doubt he would say he was irate. He never complains.

Why is this so hard to believe? I heard reports that several players were peeved when Irsay got rid of Wentz and again when he benched Ryan.

Several folks who didn’t deserve what they got:

Matt Ryan

Marcus Brady

for starters, for different reasons.

But Frank took the heat for all of this decisions like a company man, and was their fall guy. For that, I applaud and feel sorry for Frank for how it played out.

Saturday seems like an honest stand up guy, just hope he can breathe some normalcy and life into this squad.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I like Saturday a lot and, while not a fan of Ballard's teambuilding, he and Ballard deserved better than this. Irsay completely screwed over the coaching staff and the players. Can't say I'm surprised about the Reich firing. But it probably should have happened after the season.

Morale has to be at an all time low in the building.

I want to go on the record as saying that I like Saturday as well. This post is not about Saturday. He is a great man and a great Colt. This article is to highlight the dysfunctionality that is taking place within the Colts. I love this team like many on this board. I care about the moral of our players. They deserve better.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Several folks who didn’t deserve what they got:

Matt Ryan

Marcus Brady

for starters, for different reasons.

But Frank took the heat for all of this decisions like a company man, and was their fall guy. For that, I applaud and feel sorry for Frank for how it played out.

Saturday seems like an honest stand up guy, just hope he can breathe some normalcy and life into this squad.

If I was Matt Ryan I would be "irate". After Matt Ryan was benched he publicly said he will do what is best to help the team and help Sam out the best he can - that is facts. He never said he was irate or mad.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You just made my point. He wouldn't say it and has been a class act. 

You misunderstand me. Expressing it in public and expressing it to fellow players or people in the building are two different things. La Canfora and Howe know people in the building who might have talked to Ryan and gotten info we wouldn't hear about.

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Do you know Colts insiders?

Matt wouldn't say if he was or is irate. That would be career suicide.

I don't know insiders. I have stated in this thread how risky players speaking out publicly can be. That doesn't mean it isn't happening. Even the inside sources are protecting themselves. I understand all that.

One point on how media watches one another and regurgitate the other's that they listen too would be the phrase "Two things can be true" that was being used over and over again. I watched a lot of coverage from different media outlets, podcast, beat reporters, etc. A common phrase started to be used here "Two things can be true". When you see this occur you can be sure a lot of the "sources" being spewed is just another media guy that said that they heard it from "sources". When they all start using the same phrases that should be red flags. Just as it should be in any news story.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

You misunderstand me. Expressing it in public and expressing it to fellow players or people in the building are two different things. La Canfora and Howe know people in the building who might have talked to Ryan and gotten info we wouldn't hear about.

Don't believe everything you read, the media can stretch things to make it look worse than it is. I am sure Matt was disappointed he got benched and not happy - he may have said that, he could have said that, then someone could turn it into he was irate to make things look worse to get clicks. Then after that Matt could have said, I am ok with it though and will help the team out anyway I can and help Sam out which would be left out. Matt actually said the latter publicly. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you believe what you just wrote then you literally don’t know how the media works.   

They build relationships.   They get phone numbers and emails.   They can communicate with people directly.   The info can come from a variety of sources.   Including coaches, front office, agents.  

Just because players haven’t spoken publicly doesn’t mean that the stories are false.   Maybe it came from an agent or a coach. 

It would be an even bigger event if stories like this didn’t surface.   The way this went down is unprecedented.   There are going to be lots of unhappy people and some will speak off the record.   That’s how this works.    

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you believe what you just wrote then you literally don’t know how the media works.   

They build relationships.   They get phone numbers and emails.   They can communicate with people directly.   The info can come from a variety of sources.   Including coaches, front office, agents.  

Just because players haven’t spoken publicly doesn’t mean that the stories are false.   Maybe it came from an agent or a coach. 

It would be an even bigger event if stories like this didn’t surface.   The way this went down is unprecedented.   There are going to be lots of unhappy people and some will speak off the record.   That’s how this works.    

I just know how La Canfora and guys like Doyle are, it isn't all media but those guys like to stir things up and stretch things.

46 minutes ago, jemack said:

Another WP hit job. :lol: 

They're not saying anything that hasn't been posted on this board. After surviving the Colts 80's and half of the 90's my football storm shelter is fortified. Colts newby fans will be hit hardest by the "crazy" moves and negative media. To me? It's kind of nostalgic... :rock:

I told my wife on Sunday that this feels like the 80s all over again. I'm having flashbacks of Bob Irsay rotating QBs every play and calling plays from the owners box all over again. Heck, he even fired a head coach at halftime once.  Those were fun times!

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree this is unprecedented and it affects many players, coaches, and others from within the organization. They won't be blasting the organization publicly but they want their voices heard.

I have few doubts there's at least some truth to these stories, but it's 2 - 3 days in, so there's also a lot of raw and over reaction, much like this board. AND, sensationalism is the jobs of some of these people reporting it.

This is an unconventional (and, yes, poorly executed in ways) step. It's going to take many some time to get over it, but if it doesn't go well, it'll be legend. 

Sunday's game, the body language, the effort, will be telling.

2 minutes ago, Colttodd18 said:

I told my wife on Sunday that this feels like the 80s all over again. I'm having flashbacks of Bob Irsay rotating QBs every play and calling plays from the owners box all over again. Heck, he even fired a head coach at halftime once.  Those were fun times!

The days of Art, Mike Pagel, Frank Kush, and Dowhower were wonderful Season 4 Falling GIF by The Simpsons

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

“Frank doesn’t fire anyone.”  “That’s not how he operates.”  Ummm.  It sounds like Frank would never fire anyone unless he was for forced to.  Not a great characteristic you would want in a head coach imo.  

Everyone knows what happened to Jim Mora Sr. when he wouldn’t fire Fangio. If Frank is given such choices with Ryan and Marcus Brady, like most people, he’s going to save his skin and be the fall guy in front of the world, without much choice given by his boss, the owner Irsay.

Archived