Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are Colts fans afraid to say the "T" word ?

ADnum1

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol so you think if we if we finish 3-13-1 there is still going to be 6-9 teams worse than us??? Your post doesn't make sense when has that ever happened in the history of the NFL. I think 3-13-1 would have us top 5 for sure

Yeah, but rarely does the nfl ever have this many teams with fewer than 3 wins at the mid point of the season.  There are way worse teams than us this year. And the odds of 8-9 teams all jumping us in the standings at this point are slim. Not saying it won’t happen, just saying it’s not likely 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, but rarely does the nfl ever have this many teams with fewer than 3 wins at the mid point of the season.  There are way worse teams than us this year. And the odds of 8-9 teams all jumping us in the standings at this point are slim. Not saying it won’t happen, just saying it’s not likely 

Just go scroll through the standings history. That many teams have never finished with 3 or less losses. Its never happened and its not happening this year.

I don't think Colts are tanking, neither I think 'tanking' exists at all.

this team is what it is whit the given roster, coaches and GM. I won't be be better with Ehlinger at the helm, and won't be any worse. Ballard's way led to this season. To be fair, his tenure is plagued with QB mishap. Our franchise QB was gone, and finding an other franchise QB is not easy. This team had 6 different QBs in 5 season, and maybe Ballard can be blamed for not finding long term answer at QB (TBH I did not see much available alternatives for Rivers or Wentz...or Ryan,)

So, in a nutshell, no, in my most honest opinion Colts are not tanking, they're just not a good team. I'm rooting for them winning as many games as possible, but unfortunately I feel Colts will finish under 0.500.

1 hour ago, KB said:

The only issue I have with Tanking is if it dosnt work. There's alot of busts that show all the promise just to end up being Jarad Goff. They could also retire at 29. Could you imagine this board if we picked #1, got the qb of the future, and he ended up not being a franchise qb. All I hope for in any game is an entertaining game. Keep them interesting but lose out. I'd be OK with that. 

Goff isn’t a bust. Every QB that doesn’t turn into A HOF’er isn’t a bust. That word is thrown around too often with QBs. There’s 36 QBs in the HOF. 61 QBs have been drafted in the 1st round since 2000. 

Not everyone can be HOF good. The best you hope for is that a guy is good enough to get you to the dance. Jared Goff is still in the league as a starter, has played in a Super Bowl, made 2 pro bowls, and has a career passer rating of 91.6. Maybe he didn’t live up to expectations but that’s not on him. You can’t just say that every first round QB has to be at least Phillip Rivers, or every QB taken number 1 overall has to be Peyton.

Im not for legitimately tanking like Flores exposed the Dolphins for doing, but I’m all for going up and getting a QB in round one as opposed to trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Day 2-3 QBs.

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Agree that we have to try too, that for me is to give Sam the best opportunity to show whether he can produce at the highest level on a weekly basis. Some players just excel at a higher level. Let’s give him a chance and see. If he steps up, we can strengthen around him for the future, if not, we know exactly what we need to do going forward. Hopefully it’s not the latter.

In no way is this thread meant to be a jab at Sam.

Sam will run around and play his heart out for us but he is not a franchise QB.  He was a backup for a reason.

His arm is too weak and he can't make all the throws a franchise QB can.

Thats why he fell to the 6th round.

Sam is a great backup that can win you a few games, and there is nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, KB said:

The only issue I have with Tanking is if it dosnt work. There's alot of busts that show all the promise just to end up being Jarad Goff. They could also retire at 29. Could you imagine this board if we picked #1, got the qb of the future, and he ended up not being a franchise qb. All I hope for in any game is an entertaining game. Keep them interesting but lose out. I'd be OK with that. 

You are still better off than if you have the 17th spot in the draft and have to trade away all your good picks this year and next and he busts.   I am most afraid of that.   We have watched teams do that and set them back many years.  

I'm good with tanking.  Players don't tank and coaches only tank if the are a company man and the owner wishes him to.  Then maybe he will bench the starting QB and go with the backup the rest of the season.  You may also see players who have a minor injury be held out of extra games as a "precaution".

5 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Tua looks real good this year. I think alot

of people are going to be wrong about him 

Have u watched the games? He may have the most talented receiving Corp in the NFL but they have a hard time putting up points. Trust me. They will be going in a different direction next year

24 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Mercy, here we go again! Tanking is expressly against the rules you saw what happened to Miami. And there is no way that Jim wants to tank the season and kick all the fans in the face. Absolute absurdity to bring this up

I concur!!

Miami DID NOT "tank" - although it was "suggested in jest" by the Dolphins owner!!

The NFL investigated and found NO rules violations and/or purposeful losses by the Dolphins.

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

You are still better off than if you have the 17th spot in the draft and have to trade away all your good picks this year and next and he busts.   I am most afraid of that.   We have watched teams do that and set them back many years.  

I'm good with tanking.  Players don't tank and coaches only tank if the are a company man and the owner wishes him to.  Then maybe he will bench the starting QB and go with the backup the rest of the season.  You may also see players who have a minor injury be held out of extra games as a "precaution".

Let's say we finish so we have a top 10 pick. We don't have give a lot of picks to get a qb next year. We  could say draft a LT. Get rid of player salaries and then draft one is 2024. We need go make sure the next one is protected and has some weapons.  Look what Philly did with Hurts.

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

The T word ?  Yes TANKING.

That is the best thing for this franchise now.

Lets lose the next 10 games and go into the draft with a top 3 pick and get our QB for the next 10 years.

We only have 10 games left to lose, so lets lose them !!  We need to sacrifice and TAKE THE PAIN !!

Its time to TANK !!!

tank GIF

You want the Colts to "tank" for the rest of the season. Can you elaborate further how you want them to do it? 

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

In no way is this thread meant to be a jab at Sam.

Sam will run around and play his heart out for us but he is not a franchise QB.  He was a backup for a reason.

His arm is too weak and he can't make all the throws a franchise QB can.

Thats why he fell to the 6th round.

Sam is a great backup that can win you a few games, and there is nothing wrong with that.

You could easily have said similar things about Brady,Favre,Warner and others too. As we have agreed, there are no guarantees, just as there is no guarantee that Sam will not step up. Not even sure I believe 100% he will, just want to give him the opportunity and hoping and praying he does. At least they’re giving him the chance, other than continuing to tread water with a washed up Ryan.

18 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

I concur!!

Miami DID NOT "tank" - although it was "suggested in jest" by the Dolphins owner!!

The NFL investigated and found NO rules violations and/or purposeful losses by the Dolphins.

I’m talking about how much scrutiny the team went through because of that one suggestion. Around the league people think they did something wrong. I hate the word tanking because some fans just don’t understand teams don’t do that and get away with it

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

Thats right, its a "wink wink nudge nudge" kind of tank.

There is no company memo that is sent out saying "Subject: Tanking"

Only the coaches know about it.

So if JT's ankle is bothering him, keep him out a few extra games.  If Leonard is injured put him on IR for 4-8 games.  Go ahead and put Pryor back at LT although D. Kelly is equally as terrible.

You may even fire Frank mid season.

On second thought, if we're tanking we may want to keep Frank the whole season.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not saying any of them wouldn’t be enticing, but no guarantees.

The 2021 QB class was meant to be strong, how many of them are producing at the level that their franchises were hoping for?…

Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Zach Wilson, New York Jets.

Trey Lance, San Francisco 49ers.

Justin Fields, Chicago Bears.

Mac Jones, New England Patriots.

Davis Mills, Houston Texans.

Only one of them dares to try more than 30 attempts consistently so far.. All other teams are afraid to make them pass to try to win the game.. 

The problem seems to be the evaluation with "draft experts" and fans. They think winning in college scheme will translate to NFL. Front Office, I hope, rather should evaluate how better the QBs in the draft would get accustomed to NFL Playbook, and how their unique traits, if any, would accentuate their play in the pro football, without losing their uniqueness. If there's a QB that the Front Office scouts feel comfortable about in their evaluations, team should try to go get that QB even if it requires moving up. Repeat that for few years until they get the guy they want, while building the roster strong, and they may get the timing and QB right. 

We can say Stroud, Young, Levis and Hooker are strong candidates but none of us know how they would translate their skills, knowledge, work ethic to be able to run an NFL offense successfully. I guess franchise scouts need to do a better job, but most of the times they chicken out even if there's not such a QB in the draft, franchises just pick one and see if it works out when they draft someone like Rosen, Goff, Wentz, Darnold, etc., 

Then, there's also something called the right fit. There could've been few QBs that could've worked out well, but they'd get drafted by the organization who doesn't have a good roster to begin with, and wouldn't resolve the problems like OL soon enough. Sometimes, coaches would try to fit a QB who excels in different scheme to fit into the offense they want to have, and such QBs would never get their chance to excel at what they do best, even if they Could do well some type of NFL offense.

To be honest, there are not many NFL coaches who could work with a QB and identify exactly what that QB or their own offense need to adjust, learn or adapt to make the QB successful. Most of the times, it's up to the QB to either learn and do well or try and fail. 

Then, the drafted QB has to have a strong urge to have a winning mentality, in spite of the adversities. QBs like Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Lamar, Burrow seem to have had the urge to succeed and take steps that they need to take by their own self-evaluation while entering the NFL. As a Vikings fan, I know Kirk Cousins doesn't have the winning urge. He would rather like to have a long career building stats to get successive contracts and finish the career as one of those QBs with amazing stats shields but would never have done enough to beat playoff contenders to get anywhere closer to the Super Bowl. I think Matt Ryan and Tannehill could belong in that category. 

A lot of such things need to come together when drafting a QB unless the QB happens to be destined for the Hall of Fame, even then some HOF QBs may never get to win in a Super Bowl. 

So yeah, tanking is not a good strategy. Having coaches who could identify NFL translatable QB talents and having a GM who could employ quality scouts to have a process to identify such talent is much more necessary to get that franchise QB. If Ballard and Reich don't have that, they're not going anywhere with their process. 

16 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Only one of them dares to try more than 30 attempts consistently so far.. All other teams are afraid to make them pass to try to win the game.. 

The problem seems to be the evaluation with "draft experts" and fans. They think winning in college scheme will translate to NFL. Front Office, I hope, rather should evaluate how better the QBs in the draft would get accustomed to NFL Playbook, and how their unique traits, if any, would accentuate their play in the pro football, without losing their uniqueness. If there's a QB that the Front Office scouts feel comfortable about in their evaluations, team should try to go get that QB even if it requires moving up. Repeat that for few years until they get the guy they want, while building the roster strong, and they may get the timing and QB right. 

We can say Stroud, Young, Levis and Hooker are strong candidates but none of us know how they would translate their skills, knowledge, work ethic to be able to run an NFL offense successfully. I guess franchise scouts need to do a better job, but most of the times they chicken out even if there's not such a QB in the draft, franchises just pick one and see if it works out when they draft someone like Rosen, Goff, Wentz, Darnold, etc., 

Then, there's also something called the right fit. There could've been few QBs that could've worked out well, but they'd get drafted by the organization who doesn't have a good roster to begin with, and wouldn't resolve the problems like OL soon enough. Sometimes, coaches would try to fit a QB who excels in different scheme to fit into the offense they want to have, and such QBs would never get their chance to excel at what they do best, even if they Could do well some type of NFL offense.

To be honest, there are not many NFL coaches who could work with a QB and identify exactly what that QB or their own offense need to adjust, learn or adapt to make the QB successful. Most of the times, it's up to the QB to either learn and do well or try and fail. 

Then, the drafted QB has to have a strong urge to have a winning mentality, in spite of the adversities. QBs like Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Lamar, Burrow seem to have had the urge to succeed and take steps that they need to take by their own self-evaluation while entering the NFL. As a Vikings fan, I know Kirk Cousins doesn't have the winning urge. He would rather like to have a long career building stats to get successive contracts and finish the career as one of those QBs with amazing stats shields but would never have done enough to beat playoff contenders to get anywhere closer to the Super Bowl. I think Matt Ryan and Tannehill could belong in that category. 

A lot of such things need to come together when drafting a QB unless the QB happens to be destined for the Hall of Fame, even then some HOF QBs may never get to win in a Super Bowl. 

So yeah, tanking is not a good strategy. Having coaches who could identify NFL translatable QB talents and having a GM who could employ quality scouts to have a process to identify such talent is much more necessary to get that franchise QB. If Ballard and Reich don't have that, they're not going anywhere with their process. 

Good post, you have to wonder sometimes what some of these so called experts see in their evaluation and pick in drafts see. It’s as you say, they’re just hoping. There are some who just look ready for that step to the NFL, never doubted Peyton or Andrew. It wasn’t just about their arm talent, it was their mindset too.

24 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

So if JT's ankle is bothering him, keep him out a few extra games.  If Leonard is injured put him on IR for 4-8 games.  Go ahead and put Pryor back at LT although D. Kelly is equally as terrible.

Do you honestly want us to lose all these games. Out of curiosity, do you have a season ticket. I wouldn’t be happy after forking out my hard earned cash to watch my team just chuck games. As a fan, I wouldn’t want it and if you’re a coach or player who’s actively taking part in that, you’re in the wrong job.

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

The T word ?  Yes TANKING.

That is the best thing for this franchise now.

Lets lose the next 10 games and go into the draft with a top 3 pick and get our QB for the next 10 years.

It does us no good to have 8-9 wins, miss the playoffs and pick around 20.

Then we would have to use picks to trade up to get our QB of the future.

We need to keep all those picks and fix the Oline and get our future QB at 3.

It makes no sense to trade all our picks, not fix the Oline and put our shiny new QB behind this horrible Oline and have him take a beating and turn into the next David Carr.

Sam will do fine, but we all know he's not a franchise QB, so let's go get one.

We only have 10 games left to lose, so lets lose them !!  We need to sacrifice and TAKE THE PAIN !!!

Whos with me ???

Its time to TANK !!!

tank GIF

Turdbucket?  Nah, been calling the team that for a few weeks now.....lol

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Losers tank.

Just identify your QB and move up to get him, then build around him. 

Hard disagree with the first sentiment. Agree with the second one fully. 

"Tanking" IMO is just means to an end. You have a system set up to reward losing. I have zero problem with teams using that system to acquire talent as long as the system is setup like this. 

Also, tanking IMO is severely misunderstood by a lot of people. Players and coaches pretty much never tank. They are all trying their best to win games. IMO tanking is done about 99.9% on the FO/GM level and if done well it sets up the team for a good chance at a long-term success..

The primary goal of tanking is of course to get a high pick in the draft. But another goal of tanking is resetting the window for contention and converting current value into future value(selling current good players for future assets or young players, who will fit the new QB/core' timeline of the team better than current vets). Now in the NFL tanking is quite peculiar thing because there is pretty much only one position that justifies tanking(QB) and even with that not every 1st round QB or hell, even top 10 QB is worth tanking for. But with that said, I can see the benefit of "tanking" even if you are not getting one of the generational level talents at the position, simply because the price of going up in the draft is extremely steep - in other words, if you tank and get a no. 5 pick instead of pick no. 18 in case you didn't tank, this makes drafting the QB you love or moving up for him much easier and much less costly. But overall I agree  with your second point - you do not need to tank to get your QB. We've seen series of teams do it over the last few years - you identify your guy and you move up to get him(Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Lamar) and this has been my desire and hope every single year since Luck retired. 

With that said... if you have a Luck level talent at the top of the draft, I have zero objections to my team doing an amazing tank job and sinking to the bottom of the league tables. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Trying to improve draft position shouldn't be the priority.

Drafting a great QB prospect should be the priority. Tanking(trying to improve draft position) improves your chances to be in position to draft one and/or to do it in a less costly manner. 

I think everyone who watched that press conference knew that Frank was a dead man walking.

You could hear it in the way his voice quivered.

What do the Phins have to do with us ?

Just pointing another teams' mistake that every other team including the Colts are keeping an eye on.

48 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

You are making no sense.  “Only the coaches know about it”.  So Reich and all the coaches deliberately do all the moves you are suggesting.  Why would they do that without a guarantee they will still keep their jobs?  And of course the league would never learn about it.  I can’t believe you actually posted this total nonsense.

I think everyone who watched that press conference knew that Frank was a dead man walking.

You could hear it in the way his voice quivered.

What do the Phins have to do with us ?

They're under investigation for trying to tank for a higher pick. Ex Coach reported the owner to the NFL. 

I was pointing out consequences to tanking a season. 

I think it was related to this topic. 

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You are making no sense.  “Only the coaches know about it”.  So Reich and all the coaches deliberately do all the moves you are suggesting.  Why would they do that without a guarantee they will still keep their jobs?  And of course the league would never learn about it.  I can’t believe you actually posted this total nonsense.

Spot on, deliberating sneaking around in the background trying to lose your games and lose your job in the process, and all the while preaching about a winning approach and mindset to your squad :facepalm:

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

"Tanking" IMO is just means to an end. You have a system set up to reward losing. I have zero problem with teams using that system to acquire talent as long as the system is setup like this. 

Tanking = losing on purpose to get a better draft spot. There are a lot of variables and considerations, but that's the bottom line. And yeah, lots of fans are fine with it. I'm not. It's contrary to the competitive nature of the sport (and pro sports in general), and I don't want a team that I follow to do it.

I do agree that coaches and players don't tank; the recent accusations from Brian Flores explains all you need to know. In leagues like the NBA and MLB, where roster composition is less flexible, and where there is no QB, strategic tanking allows teams to reset the table and try to rebuild. 

Rebuilding in the NFL can be done on the fly, even in one offseason. Resetting your window can be done with a couple of moves. But if you don't have a good enough QB, there's no point. And because there are so many players needed to have a good roster, you don't get rid of B-level guys in an effort to lose more games. You might get rid of B-level guys to add draft capital, but that depends on age, contract status, positional value, etc. 

In the NBA, teams tank because one potential franchise-level player can change the trajectory of your team. In the NFL, that only applies to franchise QBs, and since you don't need to tank to get one, it's not worth losing other good players, or hampering the development of your players and your culture. And if you already have a franchise QB, you shouldn't be tanking. 

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I’d take Tua in a heartbeat 

Yeah... What's up here with the slant towards Tua? 

He was injured, may be still injury prone.. 

But his QB evaluation or his own Resilience or talent or fighting mindset is very evident.. It was clear at the start of the season that he had the team rallied around him. He and his team beat Bills and Ravens, how many QBs in the league including elite QBs could be hopeful of doing the same?! 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Tanking = losing on purpose to get a better draft spot. There are a lot of variables and considerations, but that's the bottom line. And yeah, lots of fans are fine with it. I'm not. It's contrary to the competitive nature of the sport (and pro sports in general), and I don't want a team that I follow to do it.

I do agree that coaches and players don't tank; the recent accusations from Brian Flores explains all you need to know. In leagues like the NBA and MLB, where roster composition is less flexible, and where there is no QB, strategic tanking allows teams to reset the table and try to rebuild. 

Rebuilding in the NFL can be done on the fly, even in one offseason. Resetting your window can be done with a couple of moves. But if you don't have a good enough QB, there's no point. And because there are so many players needed to have a good roster, you don't get rid of B-level guys in an effort to lose more games. You might get rid of B-level guys to add draft capital, but that depends on age, contract status, positional value, etc. 

In the NBA, teams tank because one potential franchise-level player can change the trajectory of your team. In the NFL, that only applies to franchise QBs, and since you don't need to tank to get one, it's not worth losing other good players, or hampering the development of your players and your culture. And if you already have a franchise QB, you shouldn't be tanking. 

On the underlined in paragraph one, that says a lot about yourself imo, you want to win, but you want to win with integrity. Respect you for that and agree.

On the underlined in paragraph two, I like to believe as sportsman, they would not entertain such underhand tactics, but you never know. As for further up the chain, the guys who see it as a business, then I wouldn’t trust some of them as far as I could throw them. 

Life ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it!

You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.

But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward.

THAT’S HOW WINNING IS DONE!

NO Bull(expletive ) tanking talk from me!

Mighty Blue

4BC05850-7450-448E-8EEB-0DD48AB94CD7.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Mighty Blue said:

Life ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it!

But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward.

Mighty Blue

C32D0890-9378-4AB1-BE8B-73FA9D29688E.gif

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Our record is 3-3-1. No one's tanking. 

The AFC is wide open for divisions and wild card spots. 

This talk of tanking is asinine. 

The funniest one is some media wanting them to sell ne deadline next week. Why would they do that. That can still be done in the offseason before the draft if we need the draft picks.

1 hour ago, Mighty Blue said:

Mighty Blue

HELL YEAH BROTHER!!!!!

ultimate-warrior.gif

6 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

You need those picks to rebuild the Oline.

You can't put our new QB behind this horrid Oline and have him become the next David Carr.

Tanking solves that.  Get a very high first, and get a LT in the second.

Raimann is fine but he's a project thats at least 2 years away.

Nfl teams don't tank despite the nonsense narrative.   Frank is coaching for his job, the players are playing to earn new contracts 

Archived