Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anybody still miss Carson?

indyagent17

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we will be ok, when Wentz was here I sniffed skunk. Matt will get better IMO.

Like I said before a lot of Wentz’s problems were self inflicted and the fact he just wasn’t a leader.  No one questions if Ryan is a leader.  Ryan’s problems can largely be traced back to the biggest issue on the whole team right now, the line.  Yes Ryan has to stop fumbling but if the line protects him he won’t get hit which will mean less fumbles.  When the line has protected Ryan he’s been pretty good.  

One thing I think the Colts should consider is the muddle huddle offense.  Not straight hurry up but not a full huddle either.  Make it harder for the other team to sub.  That seems to be when Ryan is at his best right now because it backs the pass rush off because those guys get tired and have to play more vanilla defense.  

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like I said before a lot of Wentz’s problems were self inflicted and the fact he just wasn’t a leader.  No one questions if Ryan is a leader.  Ryan’s problems can largely be traced back to the biggest issue on the whole team right now, the line.  Yes Ryan has to stop fumbling but if the line protects him he won’t get hit which will mean less fumbles.  When the line has protected Ryan he’s been pretty good.  

One thing I think the Colts should consider is the muddle huddle offense.  Not straight hurry up but not a full huddle either.  Make it harder for the other team to sub.  That seems to be when Ryan is at his best right now because it backs the pass rush off because those guys get tired and have to play more vanilla defense.  

I agree, I would go more hurry up to confuse the defenses and quick passing.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Don’t you think we should be seeing improvement by now? That’s why it’s hard to think that there is a fix for this. Matt is also holding the ball way to long.

Well Romo said it would take about six weeks during the Chiefs game so yeah these next three games should be really telling.  

Part of the reason he’s holding the ball is he’s looking for someone to get open.  I will say one thing I think he’s lacked is that safety valve guy.  I think he finally feels like he has that with Alec in that he can go to him no matter what.  That should help things and did seem to help things Thursday night when he just started going to Alec rather he was open or not because then he was getting the ball out fast.  

to me that’s a sign it’s starting to come together.  I remember Luck’s one year with Reich it was the second half of the Jets game that they ultimately lost but the offense finally clicked and took off.  I am hoping to see something like that in the near future.  

Still that’s all moot if the line doesn’t play better.  Nothing on offense is going to work until that happens.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but we had Taylor.

Colts rushed 33 times for 126 yds against the Cardinals. 26 times for 106 yards against the Broncos. 

Wentz 225yds 2 TDs including game winner

Ryan 251yds and 2 INT.  

Not arguing Wentz is better bc I don’t think he is. Just don’t agree with a made up scenario saying he couldn’t drive us into FG range.  We absolutely don’t know. 

I don't miss Wentz but I will say that the poor starts and poor performances in winnable games is more on Reich than Wentz as most wanted to put it.   Wentz performed better in his first 5 starts for the Colts than Ryan has.   Reich cannot/will not scheme to fix issues.  

I think it's apples to oranges comparing Ryan to Wentz right now. 

If Matt Ryan had last year's O-Line, I think he would be putting up way better numbers. Better than Wentz at the same point in the season and will at the end of the year. 

I think Ryan is a better QB than Wentz over all w/ decision making. (not hard to improve on throwing left handed shovel passes)

MR is less mobile, but more accurate. Wentz def has a better arm at this point in his career, but Ryan is much older.

I think having to learn frank's "system" has slowed MR down a bit as well and CW had the benefit of just jumping right in.

I will say Matty Ice needs to thaw his hands out, and be walking/sleeping/eating with a football in his hands at all times though. 

I’ll say this about Went vs Ryan 

Wentz

he showed flashes of what he could be for us and played overall well, but it was in crucial times when we needed him most he screwed up.  He’s the doing the same thing with Washington.  I think wentz would be better behind this line because he’s mobile but I think moving on from him was the right decision

Matt

hes shown he can be the guy to make the right throw.  But right now the reason why I’m ok with Matt when it comes to him vs wentz is because the only problem he has that’s self inflicted are his fumbles.  Even though that is a directly related to the regression of our line, there’s no excuse for the fumbles.  I like that he involves multiple players but I still would like to see more utilization of Hines and PC (something other than a slant or bubble screen Frank).  If Matt fixes his fumbles he’ll be ok.  

The Wentz vs Carson thing is interesting. I don’t think it matters which one of them is playing worse, but the fact is that each of them had no business starting for the Colts. Should have been a young player from the draft. They still might have struggled with this line but at least there’d be hope on the horizon.

20 minutes ago, Moe said:

You have watched a Colts game this year?

This post is about Carson and I have not missed a game since 1984

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I hope he plays well enough to not get benched    We get a 2nd (75% of play time)  vs a 3rd

Suppose we get that second round pick, what’s a Ballard going do with it?

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

This post is about Carson and I have not missed a game since 1984

Suppose we get that second round pick, what’s a Ballard going do with it?

We need PUNTER  :)

If we draft later than the QB we believe in (After CAREFUL VETTING) than we use the additional 2nd as part of the deal to get pick needed ..... 

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope he plays well enough to not get benched    We get a 2nd (75% of play time)  vs a 3rd

Worst case scenario is Wentz plays the Bears on TNF, another snooze fest of a game where it will be more important to fans of either teams than the NFL, and since Eberflus knows Wentz, might not be good for him. Also would give Ron Rivera an excuse to bolt from Wentz after a 1-5 start, IMO to switch QBs with 10 days before the next game.  We may not play Wentz after all when we play the Commanders. 

2 hours ago, Indy87 said:

I think Wentz in the last few games where JT has been having it hard, wouldn’t have gotten us any wins more than Ryan, I’d wager less. 

our line was better in pass blocking last year and he still struggled. 

JT is finding tough sledding because the opposing Ds are stacking the box because there is no respect for Ryan's arm strength. Opposing Ds respected CWs arm strength. This is also why our Online is struggling. 

Wentz had us in position to win a couple games late...but the D let us down. ( Tampa for one)

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Worst case scenario is Wentz plays the Bears on TNF, another snooze fest of a game where it will be more important to fans of either teams than the NFL, and since Eberflus knows Wentz, might not be good for him. Also would give Ron Rivera an excuse to bolt from Wentz after a 1-5 start, IMO to switch QBs with 10 days before the next game.  We may not play Wentz after all when we play the Commanders. 

Hope not...he will probably torch us.

19 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

JT is finding tough sledding because the opposing Ds are stacking the box because there is no respect for Ryan's arm strength. Opposing Ds respected CWs arm strength. This is also why our Online is struggling. 

Wentz had us in position to win a couple games late...but the D let us down. ( Tampa for one)

You are 100% correct

IF..... a BIG IF.........  If we are 4-9...... I would let Sam E. finish the season

I DONT think he is the the future QB.....  but since we HAVE him......  I would give him the keys...... just to find out, and to check that box

37 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

bend then break defense. 

14 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I hated the idea of drafting a quarterback just to draft a quarterback, but now I think we have to go all in and find a quarterback in the draft, including a package of draft picks and players to make it happen.

I’m all in on this.  If that pick turns into a second, im all for trading 2 firsts and 2 seconds to move up and grab either stroud or young.  We’re heading towards a rebuild anyway so I don’t mortgaging a future first for a franchise qb.

I am no Wentz fan but I will say this.  Wentz>Ryan right now.  And behind this OL Wentz could move and Ryan cannot.  

This likely is not going to change either.  I think that is why some posters on this board are going to continue to look silly if they talk about Ryan and the OL.  

There is a reason we have been losing and it begins with the OL.  The Carosel at QB is second.  

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are 100% correct

IF..... a BIG IF.........  If we are 4-9...... I would let Sam E. finish the season

I DONT think he is the the future QB.....  but since we HAVE him......  I would give him the keys...... just to find out, and to check that box

At 4-9, I would agree with.   We could find out more about Sam and possibly improve our draft position.   

1 minute ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I am no Wentz fan but I will say this.  Wentz>Ryan right now.  And behind this OL Wentz could move and Ryan cannot.  

This likely is not going to change either.  I think that is why some posters on this board are going to continue to look silly if they talk about Ryan and the OL.  

There is a reason we have been losing and it begins with the OL.  The Carosel at QB is second.  

I put Reich at #1.  Besides his play calling, the refusal to scheme to take advantage of the talent of the players.  He doesn't use Hines well.  He doesn't use Campbell well.  He doesn't use Mo well.  He doesn't combat the O-line issues well.  

1 minute ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I agree 

But...... since Wentz is gone and not part of the equation.....  I see ONE mobile QB on this roster thats Sam E

Im not there yet

I want to give Ryan every opportunity...... But as I mentioned......  If the season is lost.......  why not let Ehlinger take a swing??

I will be honest, I am surprised about the slow release from Ryan.

I was actually hoping for a bit of Philip Rivers when we got Ryan

Rivers had a very quick release, and would audible to the play needed

If they stacked the box he would get the pass out

If they played back he would run the ball

He recognized quickly

Ryan seems slow on everything

TY was doing well, and Pittman was a rookie

(The next guy was pascal)

It WAS NOT the best WR core......

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I will be honest, I am surprised about the slow release from Ryan.

I was actually hoping for a bit of Philip Rivers when we got Ryan

Rivers had a very quick release, and would audible to the play needed

If they stacked the box he would get the pass out

If they played back he would run the ball

He recognized quickly

Ryan seems slow on everything

TY was doing well, and Pittman was a rookie

(The next guy was pascal)

It WAS NOT the best WR core......

Joel  Erickson said on his podcast he was told by colts that Ryan had never had a quick game offense but colts thought he could do it. I was like what? Why trade for him if he hasn’t run s offense like colts and it was all projecting.

Archived