Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If You Say You are Evaluating Everything but Make No Changes...

philba101

Then that means you believe this GM, this coach, this team as it stands is good enough to make the playoffs and contend for a Super Bowl right?  Because win-now teams don't just sign band-aid QB's three years in a row in an attempt to be a wildcard right? If you asked Irsay, Ballard, and Reich they would all tell you that this team as it stands is good enough to compete for a championship. You might say if those guys don't believe it then who will? That is a fair point. But it is also their job to realistically assess if this team is truly good enough to take a win-now approach. Nothing I have seen from this team in the last two years shows me that they are a true contender. Let's face it, a good number of us on this forum over the past three years (me included) after a predictably slow start have spent the majority of our time saying things like the following:

"If we can just beat Tennessee at home then we will be in good shape."

"If we can just win 6 out of the next 8 games then we should get the wildcard."

"If we can  just win 5 of the 6 remaining divisional games we can win our weak division."

"If we can just win one of the final two games then we will host a wildcard game."

"If we can just win an easy game against a bad Jacksonville team on the road then we are in for sure."

Those don't sound like conversations of teams that are ready to win now. Those sound like hopes and prayers of fans who have been convinced by management that this year will somehow be different than the last. We will get the breaks we have not gotten in previous years and finally become a contender. If everybody just makes some minor adjustments then everything will turn around. Well, after watching the heartless performances from the first two weeks, I just don't believe it anymore. The Bills are a Win Now Team. The Chiefs are a Win Now Team. Sadly, I think we will see the clear difference between a "contender" and a "pretender" on Sunday.

Tell me why I am wrong?

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Then that means you believe this GM, this coach, this team as it stands is good enough to make the playoffs and contend for a Super Bowl right?  Because win-now teams don't just sign band-aid QB's three years in a row in an attempt to be a wildcard right? If you asked Irsay, Ballard, and Reich they would all tell you that this team as it stands is good enough to compete for a championship. You might say if those guys don't believe it then who will? That is a fair point. But it is also their job to realistically assess if this team is truly good enough to take a win-now approach. Nothing I have seen from this team in the last two years shows me that they are a true contender. Let's face it, a good number of us on this forum over the past three years (me included) after a predictably slow start have spent the majority of our time saying things like the following:

"If we can  just win 5 of the 6 remaining divisional games we can win our weak division."

"If we can just win one of the final two games then we will host a wildcard game."

"If we can just win an easy game against a bad Jacksonville team on the road then we are in for sure."

Those don't sound like conversations of teams that are ready to win now. Those sound like hopes and prayers of fans who have been convinced by management that this year will somehow be different than the last. We will get the breaks we have not gotten in previous years and finally become a contender. If everybody just makes some minor adjustments then everything will turn around. Well, after watching the heartless performances from the first two weeks, I just don't believe it anymore. The Bills are a Win Now Team. The Chiefs are a Win Now Team. Sadly, I think we will see the clear difference between a "contender" and a "pretender" on Sunday.

Tell me why I am wrong?

this the same coach and GM who went into a season and had to cut they kicker after week one …. The kicker like do we really expect them to fix the WR issue , LT , pass rush etc… frank has lost the team tbh and they know every game they come in underprepared. Frank said he scripts the first 15 or so plays which explains our slow starts in every game, Frank doesn’t come up with a good game plan at all and the game never seems to be in flow ,we are a predictable offense and defense like every time we line up I’m like 9/10 what he about to do. Every one with eyes and ears knew we needed more at Wr & te expect for Ballard and frank like you have to know they guys and it 

17 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

this the same coach and GM who went into a season and had to cut they kicker after week one …. The kicker like do we really expect them to fix the WR issue , LT , pass rush etc… frank has lost the team tbh and they know every game they come in underprepared. Frank said he scripts the first 15 or so plays which explains our slow starts in every game, Frank doesn’t come up with a good game plan at all and the game never seems to be in flow ,we are a predictable offense and defense like every time we line up I’m like 9/10 what he about to do. Every one with eyes and ears knew we needed more at Wr & te expect for Ballard and frank like you have to know they guys and it 

Here’s how wrong you are….   

Saw a stat this off season that Frank and his scripting the first 15 plays, the Colts rank among the highest in the NFL in points scored on in the opening drive again.    The opposite of your view. 

Your whole post is projection and opinion.  And you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want.  But let’s not mistake it for a fact filled post. 

Right now the Colts suck.   I think we will get worked Sunday and be 0-3.   Reich and Ballard are on the hottest seat imaginable.   I wouldn’t bet either will be back next year. 

Sure would be great to put my finger on how our grown men are not capable of being competitive against their grown men. The Jags have new players, as do the majority of all teams at the beginning of the season, yet here we are again with the same outcome. Are our players that much worse than theirs? Or is it poor coaching, or play calling?  A mystery for sure ... or not.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Tell me why I am wrong?

Honest question….

Is this your post?   Or did you cut and paste this from some media outlet?   This doesn’t read like a typical fan post. 

What changes were you expecting in the span of a few days?   Wholesale changes?   If Reich has changed some things internally he’s not going to say things publicly.   Reich can’t say (A) we’re close and (B) try not to overreact and then turn around in a matter of days and make big changes that screams PANIC!!   There’s only so much we can do.  Change and improvement must come from within, as it did in 2018 and yes, even last year when we went from 1-5 to 9-6.

If Reich makes changes they’ll come in time….  Weeks not days.   As to whether we’re a Super Bowl caliber team, right now we’re not even a playoff caliber team.  We have to walk before we try to run. 

As I’ve stated in other posts this week,  if this terrible level of play continues,  I think Frank has no more than 3 weeks.  KC, then Tenn, and Denver on a Thursday.    I think the Colts have to win 2 of 3 for Frank to save his job.   A short week after the Denver game is a window of opportunity to fire the head coach.   I believe we have to win 2 of the next 3 for Frank to stay.   I don’t see that happening.   The end could come even sooner, who knows how Irsay will react if we don’t improve dramatically? 

Ss to Ballard, his fate will likely be decided at the end of this season.  Right now they can’t be better than 50-50, tops, probably worse. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

As I’ve stated in other posts this week,  if this terrible level of play continues,  I think Frank has no more than 3 weeks.  KC, then Tenn, and Denver on a Thursday.    I think the Colts have to win 2 of 3 for Frank to save his job.   A short week after the Denver game is a window of opportunity to fire the head coach.   I believe we have to win 2 of the next 3 for Frank to stay.   I don’t see that happening.   The end could come even sooner, who knows how Irsay will react if we don’t improve dramatically? 

I don’t know… Irsay kept Caldwell around for all of the 2011 season. I could very well see us let the season play out with who we have and make a decision at the conclusion. Of course trends are made to be broken so maybe we’ll have our first mid-season firing…

41 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I don’t know… Irsay kept Caldwell around for all of the 2011 season. I could very well see us let the season play out with who we have and make a decision at the conclusion. Of course trends are made to be broken so maybe we’ll have our first mid-season firing…

I’m not saying Frank WILL BE FIRED in three weeks,  but that’s the first real natural window.   Irsay might also chose to wait until the BYE week in December.   Or he could wait until the off-season.   I’m basically saying if the Colts don’t turn this mess around, it’s hard to see Frank as the HC next year.   I do not believe his long contract extension will save him. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not saying Frank WILL BE FIRED in three weeks,  but that’s the first real natural window.   Irsay might also chose to wait until the BYE week in December.   Or he could wait until the off-season.   I’m basically saying if the Colts don’t turn this mess around, it’s hard to see Frank as the HC next year.   I do not believe his long contract extension will save him. 

I agree with you. I mean, he gave Grigson an extension and then fired him a year later, so the extensions aren’t always a true vote of confidence…

@NewColtsFan

@philba101

don't we need to wait until sunday to see if they really change anything? I mean how much are you expecting them to change philba? they aren't going to overreach. This is the same organization that started 1-5 with luck, and also a recent start similar, where we came back to almost making playoffs. 

One thing you can never count Reich out of a massive comeback, he's made a living doing it.

47 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

@NewColtsFan

@philba101

don't we need to wait until sunday to see if they really change anything? I mean how much are you expecting them to change philba? they aren't going to overreach. This is the same organization that started 1-5 with luck, and also a recent start similar, where we came back to almost making playoffs. 

One thing you can never count Reich out of a massive comeback, he's made a living doing it.

1-5 with Luck in his prime and made a comeback. We now have a 37 year old Matt Ryan as our QB. If we start out 1-5 again (or 0-4-1), Matt Ryan isn't leading us to a playoff spot.

51 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

@NewColtsFan

@philba101

Conversely, we should expect bad starts (seasons), and bad ends... 

The team did nothing to address a kicker they cut after WEEK ONE!!! which means they knew he could not be the answer and did nothing as insurance. 

this team lost their top 2 WRs to injury, and cancelled practice on Friday. Again, doing nothing to address the issues. That day was pretty damn important to get your “next man up” ready to go and in sink. But nope. 

I have zero faith in this front office, and the coaches. The only guy I like is Bubba Ventrone. 

6 hours ago, philba101 said:

Tell me why I am wrong?

No talent at TE and WR. The Oline has been regressing for the last 2 years and I have been saying it and no one believed  me. The Dline cannot get pressure after 5 years of high draft picks. No kicker.  Buckner, Leonard and Moore look like they are showing their age. Oh and a 37 year old qb. Ballard is  going to leave this team in far worse shape than Grigson ever did. Oh and I forgot no LT. Suck on those eggs lol.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

No talent at TE and WR. The Oline has been regressing for the last 2 years and I have been saying it and no one believed  me. The Dline cannot get pressure after 5 years of high draft picks. No kicker.  Buckner, Leonard and Moore look like they are showing their age. Oh and a 37 year old qb. Ballard is  going to leave this team in far worse shape than Grigson ever did. Oh and I forgot no LT. Suck on those eggs lol.

Oh and I forgot. Our highest paid players are  a DT, guard, LB and an old qb lol.

This Sunday will be the first game that I will see my Colts play. I work that day and I will have to record it :grumpy2:

I want to see how the team plays so I can better evaluate and give my views.

Is it just me that notices that ESPN does  not show highlights( or, lowlights) of the Colts the following day? :scratch:
Kudos to those that believe we can beat the Chiefs. This will be a game that I don’t give a prediction…I just don’t have one.

This has been the first season ever that the thought of following another team entered my mind. But that thought was “nixed.”

One last thought…the higher up muckedy mucks don’t care what we say on the Forum…but if, just if…the Chiefs slaughter the Colts…is it going to be time to meet face to face with the mucks?

Ask them who and what they are playing for…you and the Lombardi or, the almighty $$$?

A fan can nag nag nag nag blah blah blah all they want but all that gets is another depressing Forum session.

Kudos to those that offer solutions.

GO FANS!

9 hours ago, philba101 said:

Tell me why I am wrong?

sadly you are right

10 hours ago, philba101 said:

Tell me why I am wrong?

“Heartless” is a good way to describe the team’s play thus far. 

8 hours ago, ojsglove said:

wth???  Cancelled Friday practice again?????????????  And you expect the fans to support this team???

I am completely speculating here but any chance Reich is canceling practices to keep from totally losing the locker room? This is a move to make players happy, maybe the players are really unhappy with the leadership.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I am completely speculating here but any chance Reich is canceling practices to keep from totally losing the locker room? This is a move to make players happy, maybe the players are really unhappy with the leadership.  

It's actually Frank's two-step plan for avoiding Irsay firing him before the next game. First, try the line, you have to resist the temptation to overreact. And just in case that doesn't work, cancel practice and hide from Jimmy.

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

What would ever make you think that?

56 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

What would ever make you think that?

I understand it’s a stretch and why I said it speculation on my end. I believe for the most part players dont like practice. They understand it’s part of it but have seen enough to know players like to train themselves.  Still, when he is saying we need to keep working at it to get better but then canceling practice….why?  They don’t line up to me.  Canceling practice is something the players would want…not coaches. 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honest question….

Is this your post?   Or did you cut and paste this from some media outlet?   This doesn’t read like a typical fan post. 

What changes were you expecting in the span of a few days?   Wholesale changes?   If Reich has changed some things internally he’s not going to say things publicly.   Reich can’t say (A) we’re close and (B) try not to overreact and then turn around in a matter of days and make big changes that screams PANIC!!   There’s only so much we can do.  Change and improvement must come from within, as it did in 2018 and yes, even last year when we went from 1-5 to 9-6.

If Reich makes changes they’ll come in time….  Weeks not days.   As to whether we’re a Super Bowl caliber team, right now we’re not even a playoff caliber team.  We have to walk before we try to run. 

Ss to Ballard, his fate will likely be decided at the end of this season.  Right now they can’t be better than 50-50, tops, probably worse. 

ok i will say this

if we don't beat the jags when they come to indy both ballard and reich need to be gone the next day.

when a team that only won 3 games or 2 last year end our playoff hopes and then destroy us like they did last week there is no need to look for anything else. they see how they are beating us and should do something about it and it needs to be fixed the next time we play them or make changes

Archived