Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Woods will be a difference maker.

throwing BBZ

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Rookie tight ends rarely do anything. I dont  expect much from woods.

I agree.  Would love to be wrong but TE is a rough position in the NFL.  Lots to know, lots of responsibilities.  So yeah I also consider Woods to be a redshirt for this year.  He definitely looks the part though, that is one big dude.

I'm not really high on any of the Colts TEs to be honest.  Granson is entering year two and might factor in but he's not really great at anything.  Which is similar to what I don't like about Mo.  Pretty underwhelming group to me so maybe Woods can change that down the road.

Woods will be very good….    Eventually.    Someday.     

I expect he’ll play a fair amount in two TE sets, but be mostly a blocker.   I’m not expecting more than 20-25 catches.  

I think lije most rookies, he makes a considerable jump in years 2 and 3. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Woods will be very good….    Eventually.    Someday.     

I expect he’ll play a fair amount in two TE sets, but be mostly a blocker.   I’m not expecting more than 20-25 catches.  

I think lije most rookies, he makes a considerable jump in years 2 and 3. 

I agree. 20-25 catches. 225 yards maybe a TD or two. I believe i heard he may have to work on his hands a bit so dont expect to see him in the redzone formations beyond being a blocker. 

3 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I agree.  Would love to be wrong but TE is a rough position in the NFL.  Lots to know, lots of responsibilities.  So yeah I also consider Woods to be a redshirt for this year.  He definitely looks the part though, that is one big dude.

I'm not really high on any of the Colts TEs to be honest.  Granson is entering year two and might factor in but he's not really great at anything.  Which is similar to what I don't like about Mo.  Pretty underwhelming group to me so maybe Woods can change that down the road.

I’m hoping Granson takes a big leap forward this year. I know people like Mo but he doesn’t do much for me. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

400 yards?

I think you’re going to be disappointed.   Maybe very disappointed. 

25 yards a game doesn't seem outlandish.   We have no idea how frank views the TEs at this point,  but Matt is going to use them

42 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

25 yards a game doesn't seem outlandish.   We have no idea how frank views the TEs at this point,  but Matt is going to use them

I don’t think it’s hard to say that Frank views MAC as TE1.    

To get 25 yards per game, Woods will need a minimum of 2 catches per game, if not more. And I don’t see that happening.   I see Woods getting no more than 1.5 catches a game, so roughly 20-25 catches.    I think MAC gets roughly 40-45 catches.    And I think Granson also gets roughly 20-25 catches.  

As a group, that’s 85-90 catches, 95 at the outside.  Rookie receivers typically don’t do that much.   I think Woods will be mostly a blocker, who makes a key catch or two a game.   But I think that’s his ceiling as a rookie.  

Just my opinion.   

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's 17 games. That's an average of 25 yards. He can't average 25 yards?

Not if he’s only catching 1-2 pass a game.   And I think that’s what he’ll do as a rookie.  MAC will get the most, 2.5-3 catches a game. 
And I see Granson’s catches as roughly similar to Woods.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Not if he’s only catching 1-2 pass a game.   And I think that’s what he’ll do as a rookie.  MAC will get the most, 2.5-3 catches a game.  And I see Granson’s catches as roughly similar to Woods.  

Remember, Frank likes to spread it around, and there are a LOT of mouths to feed. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Not if he’s only catching 1-2 pass a game.   And I think that’s what he’ll do as a rookie.  MAC will get the most, 2.5-3 catches a game. 
And I see Granson’s catches as roughly similar to Woods.  

I highly doubt he's used so little especially with how bad Reich and Ballard wanted him. Granson imo will hardly see the field unless we're using him strictly as an H-back or sees time in the slot

34 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

400 yards nowadays in an offense friendly league, and with 17 games a season instead of 16 is nothing.

Yes….  In isolation that’s true.   But look at how many of these guys are young ascending players.   And Frank likes to say, we like to spread it around.  

6 WR’s,  they all will get catches.   

3, and maybe 4 TE’s and all will catch passes, except Ogletree, who I think makes the roster, but will not be a receiving target beyond a handful of times in a season 

2 RBs, and both Taylor and Hines will get a LOT of catches.  90-100 as a duo. 

That’s a lot of mouths to feed on this roster.  That will likely keep a good number of players from catching as many passes as some fans are expecting.  

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I highly doubt he's used so little especially with how bad Reich and Ballard wanted him. Granson imo will hardly see the field unless we're using him strictly as an H-back or sees time in the slot

Huh?   How else do you see Granson being used?   Of course he’ll be an H-back and in the slot.   Granson does not play the same position as Woods and MAC. 

Woods WILL be used a lot in 2 TE sets.  But I think mostly as a blocker.  I think you under estimate the effect being a rookie has on a player.   Guys who do well are more the exception than the rule.   I think fans should have low rookie expectations and be pleased when they are exceeded.   Sure beats having high expectations and being disappointed when reality sets in. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   How else do you see Granson being used?   Of course he’ll be an H-back and in the slot.   Granson does not play the same position as Woods and MAC. 

Woods WILL be used a lot in 2 TE sets.  But I think mostly as a blocker.  I think you under estimate the effect being a rookie has on a player.   Guys who do well are more the exception than the rule.   I think fans should have low rookie expectations and be pleased when they are exceeded.   Sure beats having high expectations and being disappointed when reality sets in. 

I don't understand how you think I'm setting high expectations. All I said was 400 yards. That is not high expectation. 

8 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I don’t think that Granson has even had an opportunity to showcase what he can do yet. He does have a pretty good skillset to be a matchup nightmare if he can put it all together that is. 

He'll have to look much improved in TC before we can pencil him in for a bunch of targets. His name was most associated with drops when we got news on him.... 

And the article is a bit misleading..... 

We were 12th in 12 personnel %

And we saw 12 personnel mostly in run heavy downs/games.

We also have not thrown a ton to the seam in the last several years. 

I expect Ryan to up our seam throw % this season though.

But overall, Woods will need to prove he can block and hold onto targets, two things which were legit concerns in college and OTAs.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I don't understand how you think I'm setting high expectations. All I said was 400 yards. That is not high expectation. 

It is if you also think MAC is going to get at least 400 yards.   And he’s the MUCH safer bet.   Once you start thinking BOTH are getting that then at some point other receivers are NOT going to be getting their numbers.   

You're thinking like a fan.  “Frank really likes him and wanted him.”    Drafting a guy is not about his rookie year, it’s about his career.   Look at Kwity, and his four sacks.   Any predictions a year ago of a 4 sack rookie year would’ve been called disappointing.   Now people think he’s going to get much more his second year….  6?   8?   But more.  Same with Woods.   

Look, I think Granson had 11 receptions last year (I might be slightly off).  Thus year, I think it’ll be double.    I think Woods gets 20-25 catches.   Next year, it’ll be more. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It is if you also think MAC is going to get at least 400 yards.   And he’s the MUCH safer bet.   Once you start thinking BOTH are getting that then at some point other receivers are NOT going to be g

And what WR outside of Pitt is gonna be featured? I'd be shocked if the WRs outside of Pitt combine for more then 500 yards. I see this offense in 12 personal for the majority.

9 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Interesting that you’re not high on our tight ends.  I love our TE room.   I think it’s filled with young talented kids who are all a year or two from breaking out.   And I’ve read from other NFL front office execs that Ryan LOVES throwing to TE’s.    So we’ve got the right guy to throw to our group and bring them along.  

Right now we’re a room full of question marks.  But in the next year or two, we could become a room full of exclamation points! 

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And what WR outside of Pitt is gonna be featured? I'd be shocked if the WRs outside of Pitt combine for more then 500 yards. I see this offense in 12 personal for the majority.

What?    What are you talking about?    

You think our WR’s 2-6 won’t total more than 500 total yards receiving?    That’s what I think you wrote?   Care to explain?   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What?    What are you talking about?    

You think our WR’s 2-6 won’t total more than 500 total yards receiving?    That’s what I think you wrote.   Care to explain?   

Matt Ryan likes targeting TEs especially at this stage of his career. Combine that with how much Taylor is gonna get the ball and I don't see much from our WRs outside of Pitt.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Telling us how to think now.  Oh boy.
   I'll take the opposite view. Woods won't be used as a blocker as much as Granson will. But will be used as our #1 middle of the field/seam buster.
 And of course that will be more obvious as the season goes on.
  And he will lead the group in catches, yds, td's.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I don't see that either. I think Mo will get a lot of looks but I like Woods.

Slow Mo has never shown any ability to get open quick. None. Zilch. Nada.

Woods is a totally different animal. I believe Frank and Ryan will quickly learn to love him.

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

As it stands right now, Campbell seems to be his favorite target through OTAs, which was really more of passing camp.

Now that assumes he stays healthy, but going into the year, if he's healthy, he'll be featured.

You can also assume we'll feature RBs in the passing game, and Ryan had the best in the league last year (2nd in total yards, one of the best if not best YPCatch) in Patterson. He'll have two very good pass catching backs this year. I can see either our RBs pushing 500 yards receiving by themselves. JT had 360 yards on only 50 targets with Wentz. Hines had almost 500 by himself with Rivers. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

As it stands right now, Campbell seems to be his favorite target through OTAs, which was really more of passing camp.

Now that assumes he stays healthy, but going into the year, if he's healthy, he'll be featured.

You can also assume we'll feature RBs in the passing game, and Ryan had the best in the league last year (2nd in total yards, one of the best if not best YPCatch) in Patterson. He'll have two very good pass catching backs this year. I can see either our RBs pushing 500 yards receiving by themselves. JT had 360 yards on only 50 targets with Wentz. Hines had almost 500 by himself with Rivers. 

Im sorry. Campbell has had three seasons to prove he can stay healthy and he hasn't. Also I said WRs not RBs

Archived