Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Like what? 

I think he’s alluding to the story that’s says Nick is “gifted” in ways that might please a woman.    If you follow my drift….

But I believe Nick is married and very religious.   It’s a non-story….

This is the only locker room story I’ve ever read about Foles.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The common denominator is these older quarterbacks are still very productive in their later years and can win Super Bowls.  Can’t forget Rivers getting us into the playoffs either.  For me I think the door is open for more of these older quarterbacks to be traded to teams ready to contend for a super bowl.  It’s a definite path that can work.  Every team wants that young franchise quarterback but contending teams don’t have to go that route.  The fear that an older quarterback can’t produce is pretty much a stigma that has now been disproven.  The Colts would love that young franchise quarterback.  With any luck we can wait and grab the youngest Manning when he’s ready to declare for the draft.

Possible.  I just don’t see a lot of teams trading older QBs unless they want out or possibly draft a sure thing replacement.  For the most part organizations want their star QBs to retire on their team. 

It has been a strange few years with QBs changing teams a lot. Maybe it is a new trend. I personally don’t think it’s wise.

You brought up River’s.  We were very lucky it was the Covid year and we backdoored our way into the playoffs. An extra playoff game was added to raise revenue in a down year. I’m glad it’s here to stay bc it’s exciting but any year before we would have been sitting at home. It was a decent try considering the circumstances but I felt we should have traded up for QB(Tua or Herbert). Going after a veteran has sent us down the path of now our 3rd try with one. I guess how it works out for the Colts will be the best example of if this is a good philosophy. Matt Ryan is a heck of a QB so should be fun to see how it unfolds the next two years 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Chuckle.  The 22 Colts will NOT be a "running team".We will have a Strong passing game.

We have the best RB in the league in Jonathan Taylor. We are still a running team. We are just hoping Matt Ryan is what we thought Carson Wentz would be. We were 2nd last year in rushing, that says we will be a rushing team, even if it is slightly worse and more balanced due to Matt Ryan, like a top 6-8 rushing attack, and top 16 passing attack.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We have the best RB in the league in Jonathan Taylor. We are still a running team. We are just hoping Matt Ryan is what we thought Carson Wentz would be. We were 2nd last year in rushing, that says we will be a rushing team, even if it is slightly worse and more balanced due to Matt Ryan, like a top 6-8 rushing attack, and top 16 passing attack.

Ideally, you want to be top 10 in both running and passing, that is, if you want to really compete deep into the playoffs. 

Ryan should be better than Wentz in Reich's short passing O. So IMO that should help the running game to an extent. But honestly I still expect Reich to go run heavy in games where we get up early (like NE), I just hope he doesn't look schizo run heavy like we did vs Houston, and I hope we have more L2 and L3 shots (so Ds have to defend the entire field). But I'd take top 6-8 rushing and top 16 passing like you mention, so long as the D improves as well. 

1 hour ago, Nancy said:

Hopefully this isn't another Reich experiment with a former player!

Me too. If reports are true (2.5M a year, or at least 2.5 this season), then I'm OK with the add. I just didn't want to spend much over 2M a year. "Likely" better than Sam, and hopefully we never have to see him. If only 2.5M this season, still leaves us money for another decent addition, or two. 

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What if its EXACTLY $2 million???

:D

Looks like it's 2.5M this season if reports are correct. Not on ST or OTC yet though.

So not full-on chunks, just a serious gag reflex at this point. 

The fact though that it is 2 years, is probably not a good sign for Sam though. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I still expect Reich to go run heavy in games where we get up early (like NE), I just hope he doesn't look schizo run heavy like we did vs Houston, and I hope we have more L2 and L3 shots (so Ds have to defend the entire field). 

I don't know what to expect from Reich.   I wish he would give up the play calling because he cannot handle it well.   He should direct the play caller but not do it himself.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't know what to expect from Reich.   I wish he would give up the play calling because he cannot handle it well.   He should direct the play caller but not do it himself.  

Situationally, and game plan wise, I have no clue either. 

Overall though, he's been short, and conservative in the passing game.

I just hope for more balance, and an O that forces Ds to defend the entire field. 

If he doesn't look noticeably improved, and different, with Ryan and this O this season, I'll likely lose interest early this season.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Absolutely not

So what's the issue then? Sam wasn't the answer. No other QB on the roster was the answer for backup. I seriously do not understand your hatred of bringing in Foles in case something happens. Who would you have rather Indy signed to backup Ryan or play in an emergency?

When you think about it... Had we won just one more game last year, we would've made the playoffs. With Foles, perhaps he would've been able to come into the Rams game and seal the deal. Or even cover for Wentz when he was sick for the Raiders game. All hypothetical, but it really does make sense with bringing him in if the idea is to cover for a small part of the season if the situation arises. 

I’m our fantasy football league chat we have a Pats fan who is particularly petulant and he came at me over us signing Foles. The exchange went as follows. 

Pats Fan: (tagging me) hahaha the Colts signed Foles! Lolololololol

Me: Oh yeah, a backup QB who already knows pretty much the entire system, terminology, and playbook who can step into a game and handle things if need be, and was good enough to win a Super Bowl against Belichick… Yeah, woe is us, whatever are we going to do?

PF: He puts hexes on QBs. 

Me: … how is that any different from literally anything we’ve dealt with for the last half a decade now? Let him hex every QB in the state of Indiana, we’re used to a new one every spring at this point. And after suffering through seasons with Jacoby Brissett and Carson Wentz as starters I guaran-damn-tee you there’s nothing, and I mean NOOOOTHING, that Nick Foles can do that would bother Colts fans. Even if he has to play and we end up with a high draft pick, guess what we’d use that high draft pick on? We could conceivably come out of this indebted to Foles. 

Apparently that was enough to shut him up because he hasn’t said anything for 2 days now. Funny how logic does that to dumb people. Ijs. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I’m our fantasy football league chat we have a Pats fan who is particularly petulant and he came at me over us signing Foles. The exchange went as follows. 

Me: Oh yeah, a backup QB who already knows pretty much the entire system, terminology, and playbook who can step into a game and handle things if need be, and was good enough to win a Super Bowl against Belichick… Yeah, woe is us, whatever are we going to do?

Me: … how is that any different from literally anything we’ve dealt with for the last half a decade now? Let him hex every QB in the state of Indiana, we’re used to a new one every spring at this point. And after suffering through seasons with Jacoby Brissett and Carson Wentz as starters I guaran-damn-tee you there’s nothing, and I mean NOOOOTHING, that Nick Foles can do that would bother Colts fans. Even if he has to play and we end up with a high draft pick, guess what we’d use that high draft pick on? We could conceivably come out of this indebted to Foles. 

Apparently that was enough to shut him up because he hasn’t said anything for 2 days now. Funny how logic does that to dumb people. Ijs. 

But… Foles bad, and everyone should be outraged by it. 

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

What is funny is, Pats fans are obsessed with everything we do, have been since 2003 when the rivalry truly begin between Peyton and Brady. They will say they aren't but I have seen not 100's but 1000's of posts on social media regarding Pats fans that everytime we win a big game or sign someone that is good they chime in and down play it even recently. It goes back to Peyton vs Brady, Deflategate when we had Luck, and we kicked their butt last year with Taylor steam rolling them. 

Pats fans can say rings - yeah but many think they cheated. I can say we won our's fair and square and went through you in 2006 + have the 2nd most wins only behind you since 1999. I will put money on 3 things:

1. Pats will not win a SB again with BB coaching without Brady. AFC is just too deep.

2. Pats will miss the playoffs in 2022, we will win our Division. Bills will win their Division and they know their goose is cooked like Tennessee's is. Matt Ryan won't lose a Division where his toughest comp is Ryan Tannehill lmao .

3. We will have more wins in 2022 than they will have. If any Pats fans in here has the balls to challenge those 3 points, I am listening The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

On 5/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

So in other words, Sam, James Morgan, and Jack Coan must all suck lol. 

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.  They wanted a veteran backup.  None of the above have ever thrown a pass in an NFL game.

Foles is a veteran - a Super Bowl MVP - and - has ties to both Frank Reich - AND - Chris Ballard.

Morgan was released when Foles was signed.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is, Pats fans are obsessed with everything we do, have been since 2003 when the rivalry truly begin between Peyton and Brady. They will say they aren't but I have seen not 100's but 1000's of posts on social media regarding Pats fans that everytime we win a big game or sign someone that is good they chime in and down play it even recently. It goes back to Peyton vs Brady, Deflategate when we had Luck, and we kicked their butt last year with Taylor steam rolling them. 

Pats fans can say rings - yeah but many think they cheated. I can say we won our's fair and square and went through you in 2006 + have the 2nd most wins only behind you since 1999. I will put money on 3 things:

1. Pats will not win a SB again with BB coaching without Brady. AFC is just too deep.

2. Pats will miss the playoffs in 2022, we will win our Division. Bills will win their Division and they know their goose is cooked like Tennessee's is. Matt Ryan won't lose a Division where his toughest comp is Ryan Tannehill lmao .

3. We will have more wins in 2022 than they will have. If any Pats fans in here has the balls to challenge those 3 points, I am listening The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

To follow this up, Pats fans laugh and say the Jets are their biggest rival. That is such bull cocky, Jets haven't won crap since 1968 lmao 

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He’s one of those kind for sure. He was crowing last year about how Brady exposed how to beat us again, and how Belichick was going to use the formula to end our season and just on and on and on and it was so nice to just be like “man, y’all really lost to a QB who threw for 57 yards… impressive.” 

He went full radio silence until chiming in during their game the next week. :lol:

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

But… Foles bad, and everyone should be outraged by it. 

Yeah, I just don’t see the downside. Let him get us a top pick for a QB. Reckon we can stretch it till Arch is ready to come out and then try to get in position?

So begins the March For Arch…

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

16 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He’s one of those kind for sure. He was crowing last year about how Brady exposed how to beat us again, and how Belichick was going to use the formula to end our season and just on and on and on and it was so nice to just be like “man, y’all really lost to a QB who threw for 57 yards… impressive.” 

He went full radio silence until chiming in during their game the next week. :lol:

They are like that, they say it hasn't been a rivalry since Peyton left but yet every time we are a threat they chime in lmao . What is funny is, Pats fans love to say the Jets are the most hated team and a rivalry. That is comical, that would be like me saying the Texans are our biggest rival. We beat them last season as well with Wentz at QB so that does say a lot. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I had a serious response…. But have changed my mind to think you’re being sarcastic….    Hoping I’m right…

He was, at least I think so haha 

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We got this brother. This is going to be our coming out party. I am not saying we will win the SB, that would really be talking smack. Only 1 team does that, but we will win the division and at least win a playoff game. We will make it interesting and scare teams at worse. We could win the SB but that takes many breaks. Braves won the WS last season so who knows :thmup:

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We got this brother. This is going to be our coming out party. I am not saying we will win the SB, that would really be talking smack. Only 1 team does that, but we will win the division and at least win a playoff game. We will make it interesting and scare teams at worse. We could win the SB but that takes many breaks. Braves won the WS last season so who knows :thmup:

For me, just get the Colts into the playoffs and give us a chance. We'll be the underdogs, but even the underdogs can make or win a SB with a big run. Look at the Bengals last year.

38 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Lol 100% being sarcastic. 

Yeah….  I regret to say that often my own personal sarcasm meter on this website doesn’t work as well as I’d like it to.   That’s a ME problem.   So I just wanted to double check….  Much appreciated.    :hat:

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s alluding to the story that’s says Nick is “gifted” in ways that might please a woman.    If you follow my drift….

I will say that I too am gifted. We all know many women like guys with a sense of humor that makes them laugh. And I do have that gift .....especially when I begin to undress!

:funny:

On 5/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I just don’t want him scarring the rookies 

On 5/23/2022 at 11:47 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Possible.  I just don’t see a lot of teams trading older QBs unless they want out or possibly draft a sure thing replacement.  For the most part organizations want their star QBs to retire on their team. 

It has been a strange few years with QBs changing teams a lot. Maybe it is a new trend. I personally don’t think it’s wise.

You brought up River’s.  We were very lucky it was the Covid year and we backdoored our way into the playoffs. An extra playoff game was added to raise revenue in a down year. I’m glad it’s here to stay bc it’s exciting but any year before we would have been sitting at home. It was a decent try considering the circumstances but I felt we should have traded up for QB(Tua or Herbert). Going after a veteran has sent us down the path of now our 3rd try with one. I guess how it works out for the Colts will be the best example of if this is a good philosophy. Matt Ryan is a heck of a QB so should be fun to see how it unfolds the next two years 

QBs changing teams is more of a recent trend. But most of those guys are traded for big hauls by a team to a team who failed to draft a good QB, while the trading team rebuilds (with another QB they draft).

Old QBs switching teams and winning a SB isn't really a trend. It's basically Tom Brady, who is the ultimate outlier and exception to just about any rule. 

Even as good as Rivers was for the Colts, the team wasn't really a SB contender. I believe they went 3-6 against playoff teams that year.

If we are talking about adding a legit all-time great like Brady, Manning or Rodgers for a couple of years, that can be a viable strategy to create a short-term SB contention window. But to truly build a SB contending team with long-term success, it is far better to draft and develop a QB...and build around him. That consistent QB play year after year is going to correlate much better to team success.

And every year you kick that can down the road only delays opening that window, as your current core starts to get older.   

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I will say that I too am gifted. We all know many women like guys with a sense of humor that makes them laugh. And I do have that gift .....especially when I begin to undress!

:funny:

FragrantAnimatedHoiho-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

QBs changing teams is more of a recent trend. But most of those guys are traded for big hauls by a team to a team who failed to draft a good QB, while the trading team rebuilds (with another QB they draft).

Old QBs switching teams and winning a SB isn't really a trend. It's basically Tom Brady, who is the ultimate outlier and exception to just about any rule. 

Even as good as Rivers was for the Colts, the team wasn't really a SB contender. I believe they went 3-6 against playoff teams that year.

If we are talking about adding a legit all-time great like Brady, Manning or Rodgers for a couple of years, that can be a viable strategy to create a short-term SB contention window. But to truly build a SB contending team with long-term success, it is far better to draft and develop a QB...and build around him. That consistent QB play year after year is going to correlate much better to team success.

And every year you kick that can down the road only delays opening that window, as your current core starts to get older.   

Pretty much. I understand why the Colts, Denver and Cleveland have made the moves they did.  All three have good rosters that are a QB and some luck from winning it all. I’m guessing none of the three will win a SB. The Bucs and Rams are the exception and I find it even more surprising it happened in back to back years. 

In the last 20yrs one team has traded outside the draft for a QB and won a championship. 4 teams won with free agent QBs. Three of those were Brees, Manning and Brady.  Teams need to draft their QBs.  

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Pretty much. I understand why the Colts, Denver and Cleveland have made the moves they did.  All three have good rosters that are a QB and some luck from winning it all. I’m guessing none of the three will win a SB. The Bucs and Rams are the exception and I find it even more surprising it happened in back to back years. 

In the last 20yrs one team has traded outside the draft for a QB and won a championship. 4 teams won with free agent QBs. Three of those were Brees, Manning and Brady.  Teams need to draft their QBs.  

If your sample only includes SB winning teams, your results are flawed.

It doesn't matter how you get your franchise QB. It only matters THAT you get your QB. Not winning a SB doesn't mean your method of acquiring a QB was wrong.

Archived