Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t overthink this. He will be the backup and chances he would have to play Id slim. If Ryan goes down a couple games would you rather have a guy who has won a SB of a guy who hadn’t taken a nfl snap. It’s a no brainer you want the vet who has won a SB. Get him signed and get TY signed and we are in great shape depth wise. 

JMV was right about this. Now we will see what TY does. It will be Ty and if not it will be Julio. Foles can win a couple games if Ryan goes down. Probably wouldn’t miss much of a beat.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

If it gets to the point where we need the backup the % has clearly hit the fan. It doesn’t matter who it is, we’re pretty much dead in the water at that point anyways. 

Agreed. If Foles hypothetically started the season and played all year, I think we win 5-6 games. He's nothing but a backup who would fill in well if Matt Ryan missed a game or a quarter or two. Anything more and our season is probably in jeopardy.

I don’t see how this is a bad move. 100% support bringing in a VET with playoff and SB experience. Do we not remember that % show of a Rams ending last year?

If we needed him to play he would absolutely be able to run our offense efficiently for a couple of games. No doubt in my mind about that. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. If Foles hypothetically started the season and played all year, I think we win 5-6 games. He's nothing but a backup who would fill in well if Matt Ryan missed a game or a quarter or two. Anything more and our season is probably in jeopardy.

But if he has to play 2 or 3 games we won’t miss a beat. He was in bad situations after eagles. I think he can win here if needed.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

But if he has to play 2 or 3 games we won’t miss a beat. He was in bad situations after eagles. I think he can win here if needed.

I have no confidence in Foles besides a spot game if Matt Ryan is out. He was never good besides the playoff run honestly, and if Matt Ryan did go down, he'd probably be just competent enough to take us out of a top 5 pick and ruin our chances at a franchise QB next year. I hope we just keep the guys we have. That way, if we need them by chance and they are awful, we tank the right way and we also learn that Sam isn't a viable backup as well as Morgan and Coan. In that case if they hit, we'd have a future backup when Ryan leaves and we draft our new QB.

Sorry, Foles isn't good in any way unless it's a one-game spot-start.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have no confidence in Foles besides a spot game if Matt Ryan is out. He was never good besides the playoff run honestly, and if Matt Ryan did go down, he'd probably be just competent enough to take us out of a top 5 pick and ruin our chances at a franchise QB next year. I hope we just keep the guys we have. That way, if we need them by chance and they are awful, we tank the right way and we also learn that Sam isn't a viable backup as well as Morgan and Coan. In that case if they hit, we'd have a future backup when Ryan leaves and we draft our new QB.

This team is pretty stacked.  At least this still gives them a chance if something happens to Ryan for a couple games. I do understand the point of letting Sam play and get a high pick but chances are Ryan won’t miss that many games. Just having a QB that can win a couple if needed so we don’t miss the playoffs Is what we need. Had we had a vet to backup Wentz last season no way he plays that titans game.

To me it's an easy decision to sign Foles.

Say what you want about Foles but he is significantly better than Ehlinger. If Ryan were to be unable to go it's not even a debate as to whether I want Foles or Ehlinger...Foles all the way.

This would make all the sense in the world and I think would give us maybe the best and most realistic option for the role in Franks system. 

The guy won a SB MVP as a backup QB in the same system we run. What else could you possibly want for that role? 

With this supporting cast he is plenty good enough to win a few games, even against quality teams.

Ballard has done a really nice job bolstering the depth in a lot of areas this offseason. 

39 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Philly fans would disagree.   

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think what some are missing is that Foles knows the playbook inside out and can help Matt learn it faster. The other young QBs you can still groom if you want in the PS

The best thing you can ask of a backup is to be able to confidently run the system if asked. Foles will be able to come in and do that almost right out of the gate. 

I just don’t see the down side here. 

1 hour ago, DoubleE Colt said:

So you're on the fence about it then.........

I’ll put it this way. There’s only been 2 guys that Ballard has gone after that I have been sick to the stomache on and highly advocated against. The first is now on the Washington Commanders QB roster aka Wentz. The second is Nick flopping foles. No way no way

6 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

To me it's an easy decision to sign Foles.

Say what you want about Foles but he is significantly better than Ehlinger. If Ryan were to be unable to go it's not even a debate as to whether I want Foles or Ehlinger...Foles all the way.

Ehlinger  hasn't  been  given same opportunity  so we don't know 

27 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It would be funny if Colts won the SB this coming season a year after Wentz leaves. Even if Foles doesn’t play to have Foles come  in and backup Ryan then win a second SB would be a big gut punch for Wentz.

Be even  funnier if it was foles that won it

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’ll put it this way. There’s only been 2 guys that Ballard has gone after that I have been sick to the stomache on and highly advocated against. The first is now on the Washington Commanders QB roster aka Wentz. The second is Nick flopping foles. No way no way

I'm guessing the Colts brass know just a tad more about the QB situation that what you think you know.

I'm sorry to interject some FACTS in a thread filled with OPINIONS,  but here are some......

Nick Foles is a perfectly decent back-up.    His career says so.     I'm going to post his stats from Pro Football Reference.   You'll see he has a winning career win/loss record.    You'll see that he's had some good seasons other than the 2017 Super Bowl run.    You'll see he had some decent seasons in Chicago.    

But bottom line....    this is what most NFL back-ups look like.    A guy not good enough to be a full time starter, but maybe good enough to spot start for a game or two...   maybe even a month if need be and try to keep us competitive.

And to the crowd that calls the other QB's a waste,  one of the three will go to the PS and might just be our back-up next year.   That's a good thing,  not bad.

Take a look at Foles's numbers....    you can see the season by season won/loss.    Take a look at his insanely good 2013 season.    One of the best in the HISTORY of the NFL.    Honestly.   His QBR is 3rd all-time.    His 27/2 TD/Int ratio is FIRST all-time.    Seriously, the guy has talent.    Look at his 2020 in Chicago.    Quite decent.    I'm not telling anyone that he's great.  I'm simply saying this is what most back-ups look like.

Look at his full history.    See the good as well as the not so good.    There's some modestly encouraging info there.

Honestly. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

I've said it before. Why do Ballard and the Colts even draft qbs if they are not confident they can play. No on Nick Foles. Ehilinger as back up. If he doesn't play you never will know if he's the next Tom Brady. No i am not comparing him to Brady nust an example. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say we won’t miss a beat….   Foles is NOT Matt Ryan.  But he can be a decent backup.   He can at least keep us competitive.   Modest hopes.  

I think this could be a good signing.  Foles knows Frank's system and playbook and has experience and having a NFL quarterback who you can turn the keys over to if something happens to Ryan is a good insurance policy.  The other quarterbacks have no experience and do not inspire much confidence for me if things went south for Matt Ryan.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Ehlinger  hasn't  been  given same opportunity  so we don't know 

The Colts seem confident that they know what they have in Ehlinger.

They considered bringing back Rivers late last year when Wentz's availability became doubtful. If they were confident in being able to win a game with Ehlinger that doesn't get discussed. Plus, the fact that the Colts are attempting to sign Foles now indicates they are not that high on Ehlinger as an NFL QB. 

Ehlinger was a 6th round pick who doesn't have a prototypical skillset for a QB. Could he take a huge step in improving in year 2? Sure. I wouldn't bet on it. It would be different if he was say a 3rd round pick with more of an NFL skillset...maybe you roll with him as the #2 and see but that's not Ehlinger.

The Colts went into last year with a questionable situation at backup QB. I'd rather not do that again this year. Foles is an easy signing to make right now to get a capable #2 QB.

The Colts can still keep Ehlinger around and see what he does in camp but I wouldn't put myself in a position where he is my starter if something happens with Ryan. 

Archived