Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm guessing the Colts brass know just a tad more about the QB situation that what you think you know.

I’m not saying they don’t. I’m just saying that’s my gut feeling on it. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I've said it before. Why do Ballard and the Colts even draft qbs if they are not confident they can play. No on Nick Foles. Ehilinger as back up. If he doesn't play you never will know if he's the next Tom Brady. No i am not comparing him to Brady nust an example. 

If this team was in rebuild mode or just starting a rebuild process they would probably be ok with Sam as the backup. But the upgrades and this being a team ready to win it’s smart to bring him in.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

The best thing you can ask of a backup is to be able to confidently run the system if asked. Foles will be able to come in and do that almost right out of the gate. 

I just don’t see the down side here. 

What the flounders are unable to comprehend is the value of having someone similar to Ryan that that can work in camp and beyond in a manner that looks and feels consitent. The timing and routes can be the same. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

What the flounders are unable to comprehend is the value of having someone similar to Ryan that that can work in camp and beyond in a manner that looks and feels consitent. The timing and routes can be the same. 

He's not really "similar to Ryan" though. 

I'm all for it if it's 2M or less, which would allow us to do some other things that we need to in FA. 

If it's more than that, especially substantially more than that, then you have to consider why they wouldn't go after someone that's performed clearly better like Fitzpatrick, who is still out there.

We also have to be honest about Foles in his current state. Last season, he couldn't beat out Dalton. And the two years prior he had horrible ratings. 

5 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I've said it before. Why do Ballard and the Colts even draft qbs if they are not confident they can play. No on Nick Foles. Ehilinger as back up. If he doesn't play you never will know if he's the next Tom Brady. No i am not comparing him to Brady nust an example. 

You don’t really draft QBs in the 6th round “expecting that they can play”. You are hoping that they can become a back up.  It’s not that unusual to see a team not trust a second year sixth round pick as their back up QB if they have big expectations for that season.  

Tom Brady is by far the exception.  You don’t find starting QBs let alone hall of famers in the sixth round of the draft.  You tend to find Curtis Painters,  who was also a sixth round pick, that when you give them a chance you realize real fast they have no business being in the NFL.  I am not saying Sam will be another Curtis Painter but I am willing to bet he’s closer Painter than Brady.

The Colts aren’t just making this decision off a wild guess either.  They have watched Sam in camp, practice, and pre-season games and I can promise you have the studied that tape and have decided he’s not ready for that role right now.  They are more educated on this than anyone here and it’s their job to make decisions like this, and get them right, even if it means not always seeing what they can or can’t do in a game.  

I don’t think Foles is very good at all but I get it.  This is what Foles should be, a back up, not a starter.  Someone made a good point that he may be a bit helpful at teaching Ryan the offense.  Although I believe Ehlinger knew the offense better than Eason and Hundley last year and was teaching it to Hundley. 

I said Eason was a waste of a draft pick. A year later I said Ehlinger was a waste of a draft pick. This signing confirms it.  

8 hours ago, cjrulli said:

I don’t see how this is a bad move. 100% support bringing in a VET with playoff and SB experience. Do we not remember that % show of a Rams ending last year?

If we needed him to play he would absolutely be able to run our offense efficiently for a couple of games. No doubt in my mind about that. 

Yeah I don't get the hate either. He's probably one of the better back ups in the league and almost certainly better than what we had already.

Matt Ryan hasn't missed a game in a century it seems. Back up qb is the least of my worries. If Matt did go down for any length of time the season is over anyway. I more concerned at bringing in another WR. Sign TY and call it a day, keep Sam as your backup. I would rather have FitzMagic than Foles. Foles is nothing like Matt Ryan to the few saying he is, yeah he won a SB, so did Trent Dilfer lol. Matt Ryan is a top 25 QB of all time, Foles isn't even top 100. I have Andrew Luck rated higher than Foles all time and he only played 6 years. 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan hasn't missed a game in a century it seems. Back up qb is the least of my worries. If Matt did go down for any length of time the season is over anyway. I more concerned at bringing in another WR. Sign TY and call it a day, keep Sam as your backup. I would rather have FitzMagic than Foles. Foles is nothing like Matt Ryan to the few saying he is, yeah he won a SB, so did Trent Dilfer lol. Matt Ryan is a top 25 QB of all time, Foles isn't even top 100. I have Andrew Luck rated higher than Foles all time and he only played 6 years. 

If Ryan gets hurt long term, might as well tank.

If Ryan gets hurt short term, we'll go even more conservative bully ball, so it's not like we'd ask Foles to do a lot anyway. And he's not mobile at all. 

Guessing they have no confidence in Sam or Morgan to get us through a game or two. 

No issues is he's cheap. If he cost more than 2M though, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. If folks want to get enamored with partial year performances a while ago, and forget about his last several years, not sure what to say. He's just not that good now, and the whole narrative that projects Reich to fix him, or he's good in our system, is hilarious. Reich didn't call plays in Philly. It was Pederson's system, and ours is different. 

Signing makes sense, think its a good move. Foles will bring experience and leadership to the back-up position, he is not being brought in to compete as the starter.  He will run the second team offense, and get the veteran, on field,  view of how those players perform to scheme and assignments. Frank will trust him to give an honest opinion of the guys he works with the most, which will be important when getting down to the final 53.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers hadn’t missed any games in more than a decade…and they still kept JB at a $21M cap hit. 

Foles will be cheap at least.

As far as being competitive, he's a better QB than Sam. He's an upgrade where there's uncertainty at the backup position. However, do you keep 3 QBs on the roster? I would assume if Sam goes on the practice squad, someone would probably claim him. Are we going to release Morgan and Coan, or keep one of them on the practice squad?

Another question I have is, if we have a poor season by chance (because of injury or Matt Ryan busts for us), do we put in Foles and try to win out, or do we put in Sam and see what he has? I don't believe he threw one pass last year in the time he played. So I have no idea how good he is in an NFL setting and neither does the front office as there is 0 evidence of him ever throwing a pass in an NFL game (unless I missed it last year).

Another question that hasn't been asked is what if Matt Ryan struggles? Do you start Foles over him and bench Matt Ryan? Could Ballard not only be using Foles as a better backup QB, but as an insurance policy in case Matt Ryan struggles? He may not want to have a Wentz situation again.

Just some additional thoughts from me.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As far as being competitive, he's a better QB than Sam. He's an upgrade where there's uncertainty at the backup position. However, do you keep 3 QBs on the roster? I would assume if Sam goes on the practice squad, someone would probably claim him. Are we going to release Morgan and Coan, or keep one of them on the practice squad?

Another question I have is, if we have a poor season by chance (because of injury or Matt Ryan busts for us), do we put in Foles and try to win out, or do we put in Sam and see what he has? I don't believe he threw one pass last year in the time he played. So I have no idea how good he is in an NFL setting and neither does the front office as there is 0 evidence of him ever throwing a pass in an NFL game (unless I missed it last year).

Another question that hasn't been asked is what if Matt Ryan struggles? Do you start Foles over him and bench Matt Ryan? Could Ballard not only be using Foles as a better backup QB, but as an insurance policy in case Matt Ryan struggles? He may not want to have a Wentz situation again.

It's kind of a good problem to have.

13 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Stephen nailed it. After what happened last season this is a critical season for Ballard and Reich.

Holder said the same thing I said in another post.  The stakes are high this year.  I would bet the veteran players will really love this move.  It tells them management is all in this year.  Spending on and adding a veteran backup to the most important position on the team speaks volumes to management’s belief that this team can win the super bowl.  I think the team will embrace the move and it will excite them even more for the upcoming season.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To answer your questions: I hope not, I hope not, I hope not, and… I hope not… 

If your starter is out 4 games, your backup is good enough to split the 4 - that's what you are looking for in a backup.  Could Sam do that?  From what I saw last season, I somewhat doubt it.  

Foles has been good coming off the bench, not so great as a starter.  

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Imagine a scenario where Foles has to start against the Commanders.

Whatever would people talk about?

For draft purposes, we hope he does, but there's no guarantee Wentz even makes it to mid-season.  

So you think if Sam is cut someone would sign him to their active roster.
 As their backup? Or their 3rd QB on the active roster?
  You must think fairly highly of Sam.  Personally, i can't imagine someone would sign him to an active roster. I believe he would be quite safe on the PS, at least until some team had become devastated by injury at the position. lol

Nobody is gonna claim Sam. I really do not get what lots of people on this forum are apparently seeing in him.... I've seen nothing that justifies a roster spot from him. Foles is a massive upgrade at backup qb, plain and simple. 

Bye bye Sam roster spot filler Ehlinger.

Archived