Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

If your sample only includes SB winning teams, your results are flawed.

It doesn't matter how you get your franchise QB. It only matters THAT you get your QB. Not winning a SB doesn't mean your method of acquiring a QB was wrong.

Yes and no. I think it was wrong to trade for Buckner and not move up in the draft to have our pick between Herbert and Tua. I see your logic but they do keep score for a reason.

I do believe the goal is to win championships, Irsay said that himself. If the Colts don’t win I will still enjoy it either way.  Matt Ryan is a fine QB that probably gives us a two year window to go for it.  Herbert would give us a decade or longer.  Ryan wasn’t the wrong move, I just believe drafting would be the better choice. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think about it folks, think about it. In the last 3 years, the Colts have had a future HOF QB in Rivers who got us to the playoffs and almost farther, a former 2nd pick overall...who although didn't succeed at the level most of us hoped but still led the team to a winning season despite covid, and now a SB QB who laid 28 on the Patriots before their defense took a nap, and have added a former SB MVP QB as a backup. Listen to this presser. Listen to his attitude, intelligence, and honesty. This was a home run signing. 

https://www.colts.com/news/nick-foles-frank-reich-matt-ryan-backup-quarterback-sam-ehlinger

To point fingers at Ballard for not addressing the QB position, is categorically false. 

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Think about it folks, think about it. In the last 3 years, the Colts have had a future HOF QB in Rivers who got us to the playoffs and almost farther, a former 2nd pick overall...who although didn't succeed at the level most of us hoped but still led the team to a winning season despite covid, and now a SB QB who laid 28 on the Patriots before their defense took a nap, and have added a former SB MVP QB as a backup. Listen to this presser. Listen to his attitude, intelligence, and honesty. This was a home run signing. 

https://www.colts.com/news/nick-foles-frank-reich-matt-ryan-backup-quarterback-sam-ehlinger

To point fingers at Ballard for not addressing the QB position, is categorically false. 

I was very impressed by this yesterday. It’s so refreshing to have both QB be smart and all about team. You didn’t hear one thing from Foles about himself. It was all about helping Ryan succeed and the team winning.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:46 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. If Foles hypothetically started the season and played all year, I think we win 5-6 games. He's nothing but a backup who would fill in well if Matt Ryan missed a game or a quarter or two. Anything more and our season is probably in jeopardy.

That's true of any backup. That's why they're a backup. They aren't intended as a long-term plan.

Good move IMO. I'll take Foles over most if not all backups in the NFL. The only thing is he's inconsistent. If he's on, well we all know what he can do. But if he's not......

On 5/23/2022 at 11:04 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Chuckle.  The 22 Colts will NOT be a "running team".We will have a Strong passing game.

Snort. We have the best RB in the league and exactly one proven receiver. I hope we find a balance, but yeah, I think the edge goes to being a more run-based team, if only slightly. We have no clue how strong our passing game will or won't be. On paper it looks at least solid, but there are so many new faces and variables.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Pretty much. I understand why the Colts, Denver and Cleveland have made the moves they did.  All three have good rosters that are a QB and some luck from winning it all. I’m guessing none of the three will win a SB. The Bucs and Rams are the exception and I find it even more surprising it happened in back to back years. 

In the last 20yrs one team has traded outside the draft for a QB and won a championship. 4 teams won with free agent QBs. Three of those were Brees, Manning and Brady.  Teams need to draft their QBs.  

Setting aside how one feels about the guy, CLE got a soon-to-be 27 year-old franchise QB. So even if they don’t win this year, they should have their QB locked  up for a long time.

Somewhat similarly with DEN, Wilson should give them a fairly decent window to win a SB.

My point was more that if a team is not able or willing to make that type of move (where they give up considerable draft capital for a proven vet), then drafting is the way to go for long-term success.

I don’t think plug and playing vet QBs heading into their late 30s is a viable SB strategy, outside of a few exceptions. And I think the poster was saying that it was now a viable strategy.

But if a team doesn’t have a QB, it’s certainly not the wrong move, because they have to fill the position.

But IMO, it’s still delaying true long-term success and contention, which has been the stated goal.

At some point, the Colts will draft a QB though. Maybe even next year. 

47 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Setting aside how one feels about the guy, CLE got a soon-to-be 27 year-old franchise QB. So even if they don’t win this year, they should have their QB locked  up for a long time.

Somewhat similarly with DEN, Wilson should give them a fairly decent window to win a SB.

My point was more that if a team is not able or willing to make that type of move (where they give up considerable draft capital for a proven vet), then drafting is the way to go for long-term success.

I don’t think plug and playing vet QBs heading into their late 30s is a viable SB strategy, outside of a few exceptions. And I think the poster was saying that it was now a viable strategy.

But if a team doesn’t have a QB, it’s certainly not the wrong move, because they have to fill the position.

But IMO, it’s still delaying true long-term success and contention, which has been the stated goal.

At some point, the Colts will draft a QB though. Maybe even next year. 

I think Cleveland is putting themselves in cap hell without any resources to replace their good players. That team has a history of being a train wreck and the roster will probably be in shambles in a few years unless they draft exceptionally well in the later rounds. 

Denver, and the age of Russel Wilson makes sense bc they can throw everything at their roster for the next 4 years and go for a title. By the time he is 37 they will be ready to start thinking rebuild or maybe 1-2 years of absolutely going all in but knowing the team will be bad for a few years after. 

The Colts bargain shopper the same situation by going with a QB at the end of his career. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle but honestly, I’m hoping we are just competitive so we have a punchers chance and we get our next guy in the building to learn. 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, Four2itus said:

Agreed.  There is a difference in not addressing something and not addressing something the way people want (a draft pick).   

We don't know how close Ryan is to tailing off talent wise, but it seems reasonable to expect at least one or two good years out of him. And the Colts know it...I will be very surprised if they don't look seriously at using a #1 on a QB next year or the year after. 

Damn. It still just grates on me that Luck retired. Not slamming him per se, but think of this team the last few years if we had him yet. 

Archived