Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be but Foles is not on Matt Ryan's level. Could he win us a few games, maybe? 

If Foles was in Matt Ryan’s level he would be starting somewhere.  That’s why we have backups.  Could he win us a few games with this team.  I think so.  The Colts think so too.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Foles was in Matt Ryan’s level he would be starting somewhere.  That’s why we have backups.  Could he win us a few games with this team.  I think so.  The Colts think so too.

Having a guy that actually came in and still win the SB after their starting QB got hurt can definitely win us a few games. 

I am loving the depth of this team right now. WR is still our weak link on paper. But who knows maybe it isn’t. It’s unproven but maybe they actually can play. Or they still add that vet WR. 

Ballard did change things up in FA once everything played out. This team has a lot of new parts this year. Going to be fun.

Can wait for OTA this week and see how Pierce does against our vets.

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The funniest thing of all-time would be if Foles came here and won a SB the year after Wentz leaves if Matt did go down.

What if Ryan misses the game against the Commanders and Foles outplays him giving the Colts the win. Wentz would probably be checked out the rest of the year lol.

7 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

How can anyone be upset about signing a back up that’s come off the bench and won a super bowl lol. A QB room could be a lot worse than Matt Ryan/Nick Foles. Nice 

Yeah a backup QB doesn't any better than that. Colts just signed the best backup in the league. 

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That's  because  their starters were terrible 

Exactly.  If the Colts had traded for Jimmy G or Baker, I think adding Foles would be a bad idea.  But I’m not really worried about a QB controversy if Ryan has a bad game.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I hope Foles doesn't get signed by the Colts.  While he may be a decent backup, he has brought QB controversy everywhere he has been.

Thats not going to be the issue here.  Everyone knows Ryan is the starter.  Foles as the backup isn’t going to threaten that.  There are reasons to be concerned about this move but this isn’t one of them.

19 hours ago, JediXMan said:

What if Ryan misses the game against the Commanders and Foles outplays him giving the Colts the win. Wentz would probably be checked out the rest of the year lol.

That game is already must-see TV. To add the Foles element to it would be great. 

But that would also mean somebody probably happened to Ryan, so that's no bueno.

5 hours ago, PeytsBlocker said:

As others have already posted. This is an all in move. The expectation for this team is the SB and not let's be competitve being good enough. 

I think that expectation is too high. The AFC is a gauntlet this year and getting into the playoffs will be hard enough.

But what I think this move does is set them up to be prepared for anything that happens during the season, to ensure they have their best chance of making it to the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That's  because  their starters were terrible 

If Ryan has a couple poor games and the Colts are 1-3, I could see Reich putting Foles in as the starter.  Reich has a history with Foles and that has been proven to be a bad connection to have.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

If Ryan has a couple poor games and the Colts are 1-3, I could see Reich putting Foles in as the starter.  Reich has a history with Foles and that has been proven to be a bad connection to have.  

If we start 1-3 I will convert to being a Cardinals fan and throw my Cubs gear in the trash and I have been a Cubs fan since 1984. In grade school language, there is no chance we will start 1-3 if Matt Ryan is healthy and us as a team are healthy. I rarely use the words never, always, or no chance but I will here.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

We will beat Houston by at least 2 TD's on opening day and I am confident of that The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we start 1-3 I will convert to being a Cardinals fan and throw my Cubs gear in the trash and I have been a Cubs fan since 1984. In grade school language, there is no chance we will start 1-3 if Matt Ryan is healthy and us as a team are healthy. I rarely use the words never, always, or no chance but I will here.

Can you be a Braves fan instead? Need more of those around here! :) :thmup:

Foles would upgrade the Colts backup position.  Not sure why some of these reactions are so extreme.  This is a guy who took a team to the Super Bowl and won it.  He is as good as it gets as a backup.

If you'd rather have Ehlinger as a backup, who is unproven compared to Foles, then there is some reasoning in your head other than actual production on the field.  And that type of opinion (which is typically tied to hope for the unproven player) tends to fall flat on its face the moment that unproven QB is being depended on to get the team through the playoffs.

I hope they can fit him in.  And then you still keep Ehlinger as third string/dev QB if he shows enough in camp.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

That game is already must-see TV. To add the Foles element to it would be great. 

But that would also mean somebody probably happened to Ryan, so that's no bueno.

I have a gut feeling karma will raise it's ugly head and Wentz' will run over and have a career high passing game against us.

19 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Foles would upgrade the Colts backup position.  Not sure why some of these reactions are so extreme.  This is a guy who took a team to the Super Bowl and won it.  He is as good as it gets as a backup.

If you'd rather have Ehlinger as a backup, who is unproven compared to Foles, then there is some reasoning in your head other than actual production on the field.  And that type of opinion (which is typically tied to hope for the unproven player) tends to fall flat on its face the moment that unproven QB is being depended on to get the team through the playoffs.

I hope they can fit him in.  And then you still keep Ehlinger as third string/dev QB if he shows enough in camp.

From what I have  seen on Twitter is some fans hate Reich so much they don’t like he brought in a QB he has history with. They say he should stay out of player decisions after Wentz failed. Well Ballard has history with Foles too.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

From what I have  seen on Twitter is some fans hate Reich so much they don’t like he brought in a QB he has history with. They say he should stay out of player decisions after Wentz failed. Well Ballard has history with Foles too.

Those people don’t get how things work.  Frank can suggest until he’s blue in the face but if Ballard doesn’t want to sign a guy he doesn’t get signed period.

• Superman changed the title to Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23
3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

After thinking about it last night, I've eased up on the Foles signing a bit. If Matt Ryan misses a game or two, Foles could save our season. He's a huge improvement over Sam. I just don't want Foles starting over Ryan if he struggles (Reich would do that), or if Ryan is out for the year, seeing Foles as our QB all year. That would be boring entertainment-wise, and keep us from getting a top 5 pick. Lets hope we see him very little, and if we do, he can replicate what he did in Philly. 

Of all the signings I dislike from Ballard over the last 5 years, this one is a definite improvement, so lets see what happens. In all likelyhood, he'll probably help a game or two and we'll be happy we have him.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Thanks Superman! I guess we are keeping him as the backup for Matt Ryan's tenure here.

26 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I have a gut feeling karma will raise it's ugly head and Wentz' will run over and have a career high passing game against us.

I actually won’t be surprised if he does have a good game. Assuming good health, the Commanders have a lot of talent on that offense…McLaurin, Jahan Dotson, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown, Logan Thomas, Antonio Gibson, JD McKissic. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I actually won’t be surprised if he does have a good game. Assuming good health, the Commanders have a lot of talent on that offense…McLaurin, Jahan Dotson, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown, Logan Thomas, Antonio Gibson, JD McKissic. 

Of those WRs, McLaurin is the only proven good one so far. I agree on Thomas, Gibson, and McKissic.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am good with it, Foles is a solid backup. We just keep loading up. Wentz has to be cringing lmao . 

He improves our team. I don't mind a two-year deal since that probably means he'll back up Matt Ryan for two years. What I'm curious about now is is if we will draft a QB still next year? Lot to be determined, but if Foles can help us not use a 1st rounder on a QB next year, that might be a bit of a bonus. I'm just hoping Sam doesn't get claimed on the practice squad should he go there, I'd like to develop him for a year or two and see what happens.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

He improves our team. I don't mind a two-year deal since that probably means he'll back up Matt Ryan for two years. What I'm curious about now is is if we will draft a QB still next year? Lot to be determined, but if Foles can help us not use a 1st rounder on a QB next year, that might be a bit of a bonus. I'm just hoping Sam doesn't get claimed on the practice squad should he go there, I'd like to develop him for a year or two and see what happens.

Yeah this is where I am puzzled because I was for drafting a QB next season with Matt maybe having 2 good years left. Was against it this season, we had other holes to fill. Now with Foles here who is only 33 has me thinking?? I think bringing in Foles will help ease Frank with Irsay because of the Wentz debacle. Frank had to feel like crap after Wentz didn't work out, that was really a Frank call is why and Irsay and Ballard rolled with it. Foles has never been a locker room problem and Matt never gets injured so I am ok with this.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah this is where I am puzzled because I was for drafting a QB next season with Matt maybe having 2 good years left. Was against it this season, we had other holes to fill. Now with Foles here who is only 33 has me thinking?? I think bringing in Foles will help ease Frank with Irsay because of the Wentz debacle. Frank had to feel like crap after Wentz didn't work out, that was really a Frank call is why and Irsay and Ballard rolled with it. Foles has never been a locker room problem and Matt never gets injured so I am ok with this.

Gosh I didn’t even think about this aspect. Maybe they won’t draft a QB. Would they keep the guy they draft as the 3 if they did.  Basically I think they are going all in next two years and won’t draft a QB. After these two years are up maybe it’s time to do some rebuilding. Or maybe they both stay longer.

38 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I said this yesterday I wondered if it would be two years sure enough it is. 

I've been publicly against this move.  But it is what it is.  All chips in.  If Ryan goes down for any reason, they're not relying on a guy who is still developing to win games for them and take them to the playoffs.

Sorry Sam.  But that's the path we're on.  Just win (now) baby!

Archived