Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After the Draft: What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

The reason it would work is because we maxed out the salary cap to trade for Gilmore...so yes, we added to the talent base.  My question was that if we use Ngakoue on a rotational basis, then we traded a three down player in RYS for a part time player in Ngakoue.   That trade comes out even only because we spent the money on a Corner after the fact.

We built the talent pool by spending to the cap....which is no different than what some people here have been advocating for a few years now.

Also, if Paye was drafted at 21 as a pass rusher, but ends up being a run playing DE primarily, its not out of the a ball park to start comparing him to Bjoern Werner who was taken at 24. 

But Paye hasn't even started his second year yet, so that's premature.

We didn’t max out the cap.   We haven’t refinanced anyone — YET — to help with the cap.   We currently have roughly $13.4 mill available and we’re roughly 16th or 17th in cap space.   Right in the middle.   There isn’t a problem.   And when we need to, we can do several restructures to create cap space as we did last year without a problem. 

And all of your worry is due to one poster — ONE! — who says Ngokwe will be used more situationally than as a starter.   A view that no one else has verified.  No other poster.  No media link.   Nothing.   

And now you’ve gone and doubled down in the crazy talk that Paye is in line to be the next Bjorn Warner.   All over nothing. 

Dear God, where does this come from?!?  (Not sure I even want an answer…). 

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, krunk said:

We are assuming the OL is good but being honest they had a number of not so good games last year as well. Yeah i put some of it on Wentz but not all.

Gee, Fisher was probably 80% and Q, Kelly, and Smith played hurt, so yes,  A LOT of not so good games. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

The reason it would work is because we maxed out the salary cap to trade for Gilmore...so yes, we added to the talent base.  My question was that if we use Ngakoue on a rotational basis, then we traded a three down player in RYS for a part time player in Ngakoue.   That trade comes out even only because we spent the money on a Corner after the fact.

We built the talent pool by spending to the cap....which is no different than what some people here have been advocating for a few years now.

Also, if Paye was drafted at 21 as a pass rusher, but ends up being a run playing DE primarily, its not out of the a ball park to start comparing him to Bjoern Werner who was taken at 24. 

But Paye hasn't even started his second year yet, so that's premature.

Facyson 601 snaps 72% passes defended 13
  Ya-Sin     591 snaps 70% passes defended 8
   THIS is the swap as their other stats were very similar.
   Gilmore > Rhodes
  Ngakoue 834 snaps 72%

Paye was the top PASS RUSHING Rookie DE Doug.

In Fluss's passive system. 
   Maybe the real Doug was hacked?
   Werner... cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo!

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, Fisher was probably 80% and Q, Kelly, and Smith played hurt, so yes,  A LOT of not so good games. 

They were never really good at pass blocking for pretty much the entire season other than in spots regardless of anybodies health. The run blocking was much better than the pass blocking. How did that happen if the injuries played that big of a role? Injury should have effected both things.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gilmore > Rhodes
  Ngakoue 834 snaps 72%

I don’t know where this myth of Flus and a passive system even comes from.   No one was calling it passive the first three years he ran it.   Sacks fell off because we didn’t adequately replace Houston and Autry, plus Paye and Dayo were rookies or hurt. 

Bradley's system blitzes even less than Flus did. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know where this myth of Flus and a passive system even comes from.   No one was calling it passive the first three years he ran it.   Sacks fell off because we didn’t adequately replace Houston and Autry, plus Paye and Dayo were rookies or hurt. 

Just listen to the player pressers when they talk about Bradley and the difference from flus last year. Each of them on the dline have said that Bradley is going to allow them to attack the QB more.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

They were never really good at pass blocking for pretty much the entire season other than in spots regardless of anybodies health. The run blocking was much better than the pass blocking. How did that happen if the injuries played that big of a role? Injury should have effected both things.

I think with run blocking you can involve more players in the blocking scheme because they don’t have to go out to catch a pass. Oline guys also like run blocking much better then pass blocking. It’s much easier.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think with run blocking you can involve more players in the blocking scheme because they don’t have to go out to catch a pass. Oline guys also like run blocking much better then pass blocking. It’s much easier.

All in all im only allowing for the injuries to be so much of an excuse. We had quality reserve players at guard even when guys went down and Pryor played good ball at RT when Smith went down. I just dont think we played like an elite unit last season on the OL even when guys got back from their injuries. This year weve got at least 2 new starters and new reserves so ive got a few concerns. Hopefully the changes come through smooth. Having Matt Ryan will help.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Just listen to the player pressers when they talk about Bradley and the difference from flus last year. Each of them on the dline have said that Bradley is going to allow them to attack the QB more.

Thats fine.   They’re attacking more.  That doesn’t make the old system passive.   

Ballard and Flus believe in a 4-man rush with very little blitzing.  Same as Bradley.  You can’t pressure the QB with a passive system. But we had far more pressure in 18, 19 and 20.  No one was calling our system passive those years. 

What changed in 21 was the personnel, not the system.   We didn’t have the man power.  No Autry, no Houston.  Paye a rookie, Dayo hurt.  Buckner was doubled and tripled. 
That’s what changed.  You’ve been mischaracterizing this issue all off-season. 

10 hours ago, krunk said:

All in all im only allowing for the injuries to be so much of an excuse. We had quality reserve players at guard even when guys went down and Pryor played good ball at RT when Smith went down. I just dont think we played like an elite unit last season on the OL even when guys got back from their injuries. This year weve got at least 2 new starters and new reserves so ive got a few concerns. Hopefully the changes come through smooth. Having Matt Ryan will help.

Let’s not forget personal stuff too. Kelly had vivid then his wife has a still birth. There was a lot of shuffling on the oline.  Chemistry matters with combo blocks ect.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thats fine.   They’re attacking more.  That doesn’t make the old system passive.   

Ballard and Flus believe in a 4-man rush with very little blitzing.  Same as Bradley.  You can’t pressure the QB with a passive system. But we had far more pressure in 18, 19 and 20.  No one was calling our system passive those years. 

What changed in 21 was the personnel, not the system.   We didn’t have the man power.  No Autry, no Houston.  Paye a rookie, Dayo hurt.  Buckner was doubled and tripled. 

Anting who watched could tell it was passive. Players sat back and waited to react  instead of attacking their zone.  There is going to be a huge difference this season.

19 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gilmore > Rhodes
  Ngakoue 834 snaps 72%

Facyson has played 1,000 less snaps in his career than Rock, despite being in the league one more year. And he had a 51 PFF grade last year. 

Pretty sure Rodgers will be starting at some CB spot next year. 

But I don’t think Rock was a fit for Bradley’s scheme. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And in recent years, his defenses have not been that much more effective at pressuring and sacking the QB.

And he has coached some really good pass rushers (Bosa, Ingram, Crosby, Ngakoue). 

I know players are excited about it

though. I just will have to see it to believe it’s some type of silver bullet for the DL. 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could win the SB and a few won't be satisfied. This going to be a fun year where we will no doubt win the South and then we roll the chips terry rozier player GIF

What the heck is rolling the chips? You can  Roll the dice or push your chips or splash the pot. You sound like Biff. Rolling chips is not a thing.

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We didn’t max out the cap.   We haven’t refinanced anyone — YET — to help with the cap.   We currently have roughly $13.4 mill available and we’re roughly 16th or 17th in cap space.   Right in the middle.   There isn’t a problem.   And when we need to, we can do several restructures to create cap space as we did last year without a problem. 

And all of your worry is due to one poster — ONE! — who says Ngokwe will be used more situationally than as a starter.   A view that no one else has verified.  No other poster.  No media link.   Nothing.   

And now you’ve gone and doubled down in the crazy talk that Paye is in line to be the next Bjorn Warner.   All over nothing. 

Dear God, where does this come from?!?  (Not sure I even want an answer…). 

Double downed?...I responded to one speculative scenario posted by one poster in a very calm conversational manner...but had to explain it twice.  There is no worry.   Something must have triggered a nerve with you. 

It must have been the idea of Paye possibly being limited to a non-sacking run stopping DE (who knows?) who was drafted 3 spots ahead of when Werner was drafted.   By your dramatic reaction, you appear to be the one who is worried by not having thought of that possible outcome.  

Calm down.  Its just a scenario that could happen.

21 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gilmore > Rhodes
  Ngakoue 834 snaps 72%

First NCF now you.  Boy, people start to get a little dramatic once a pick 21 DE is even slightly thought of having a trajectory like pick 24 Werner.

It was simply a speculative scenario by noticing that Paye was practicing on the same side as Dayo.  No big deal......

yet

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Facyson has played 1,000 less snaps in his career than Rock, despite being in the league one more year. And he had a 51 PFF grade last year. 

Pretty sure Rodgers will be starting at some CB spot next year. 

But I don’t think Rock was a fit for Bradley’s scheme. 

Agree on Facyson's level(not sure our DC agrees). But I have to say I'm a bit worried he might be Gus Bradley's guy and might get preferential treatment as a player he know and is familiar with and has relied to in the past. This would be so frustrating if it happened. Rodgers is a much better player than Facyson, I hope Bradley realizes that by week 1. 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:06 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I doubt Matt needs to get adjusted to a play book. No knock against you but I think with camp and practice he will catch on fast. When one is regarded as a top 25 qb of all time by espn and the nfl network, he doesn't need much help to a different playbook being he has played 14 years.

With the Falcons, Ryan went thru 5 or 6 OCs, he is use to different play books, also very smart.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

First NCF now you.  Boy, people start to get a little dramatic once a pick 21 DE is even slightly thought of having a trajectory like pick 24 Werner.

It was simply a speculative scenario by noticing that Paye was practicing on the same side as Dayo.  No big deal......

yet

For what it’s worth, Payes stats already are better than Werner. 

the only thing they have in common is the team they were chosen by. Werner played OLB more than DE in a 3-4 that basically had the wrong people playing in it. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Double downed?...I responded to one speculative scenario posted by one poster in a very calm conversational manner...but had to explain it twice.  There is no worry.   Something must have triggered a nerve with you. 

It must have been the idea of Paye possibly being limited to a non-sacking run stopping DE (who knows?) who was drafted 3 spots ahead of when Werner was drafted.   By your dramatic reaction, you appear to be the one who is worried by not having thought of that possible outcome.  

Calm down.  Its just a scenario that could happen.

Even in your explanation, you post more nonsense.   You refer to Paye as playing the “non-sack”, run stopping position.  His spot may have more responsibility for the run, but he will also bring the pass rush.   You can count on it.   LV had multiple DEs who got big sacks, not just Ngokoue. 

Comparing Paye to Werner is 100 percent Doug Dew.   As was the worry that we traded a 3 down player for a non-starter.   Ngokoue’s snap counts show roughly a 70-80 percent count most ever year.  Not to mention the worry over the salary cap.   Another non issue that you tried to create.  

That’s three issues that are false….  And yet you wonder why I got triggered?   

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sounds like what didn’t change was the fact that flus didn’t adjust nor improvise often throughout his time here.. you legit said we didn’t have the manpower to run his scheme correctly yet what did he do to compensate did he adjust to play to his players strength? But if we’re taking passive his 10 yard cushions in clutch situations or easy third down conversions is what I’d call playing passive  like bro press coverage if you know you need time for the Dline to get there but no free release like 24/7 especially in crucial moments

2 hours ago, will426 said:

Sounds like what didn’t change was the fact that flus didn’t adjust nor improvise often throughout his time here.. you legit said we didn’t have the manpower to run his scheme correctly yet what did he do to compensate did he adjust to play to his players strength? But if we’re taking passive his 10 yard cushions in clutch situations or easy third down conversions is what I’d call playing passive  like bro press coverage if you know you need time for the Dline to get there but no free release like 24/7 especially in crucial moments

Believe me, I’m not defending the system we run.   I don’t like it.   Never have.   Since the day Ballard said this was the system he preferred.   But for me it is what it is.   Out of my control. 

As for passive,  the person I’ve been discussing this with has been referring to the DL, not other positions like corner.   I’m not a fan if playing 8-10 yards off.   We’ve been burned plenty with this in the 4 years we’ve run it.   

While I may not like the system we run, I don’t think Flus is a bad coach.   He just doesn’t run the system I prefer.  And for all the criticism he takes here, the guy just got the ultimate promotion.   And the guy Ballard brought in runs a system that is close to what Flus ran.   4 down lineman, drop 7 on passing downs.   Rarely blitz.   Everyone flies to the ball on all downs.  This is what Ballard wants.  And here we are. 

11 hours ago, open window said:

What the heck is rolling the chips? You can  Roll the dice or push your chips or splash the pot. You sound like Biff. Rolling chips is not a thing.

Biff was a cool dude. Thanks for the compliment. You must be great at poker, that 1 comment alone annoyed you lol.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, Superman said:

He was the 218th pick in the draft. How often are those players major contributors, at any position?

But the big difference is the 218th pick that's a safety will actually play at some point even if its on special teams. I've never seen a backup QB do anything other than backup QB.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

But the big difference is the 218th pick that's a safety will actually play at some point even if its on special teams. I've never seen a backup QB do anything other than backup QB.

Do you know what a back up QB does for the team?

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

I'm pretty sure I saw a backup QB come in and lead his team to win the Superbowl, as a matter of fact, I think we just signed that EXACT QB!

20 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I just will have to see it to believe it’s some type of silver bullet for the DL. 

I don't think there is a silver bullet.  The questions for me are:

• Will the DL improve including the pass rush?
  • Will the secondary be at least as good as it was last year, hopefully a little better

Incremental improvement.  

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I don't think there is a silver bullet.  The questions for me are:

• Will the DL improve including the pass rush?
  • Will the secondary be at least as good as it was last year, hopefully a little better

Incremental improvement.  

Yeah. There isn't a silver bullet. So I think people are potentially overstating the impact that Bradley's scheme will have on that particular part of the defense. 

I think talent and development will have far more of an impact IMO. 

We also can't forget that one of the benefits of Flus' read and react defense was a top tier run defense.

As for the secondary, I hope so too. I think a big part of that will be contingent on Gilmore staying healthy. There isn't a ton of depth after him. On the flip side, the S position now has a lot of depth, especially at the SS position. But I still contend that it doesn't really have a true deep S that can cover really well...and that could be an issue. McLeod will likely play it, so at least there will be a vet presence there.  

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Do you know what a back up QB does for the team?

I know what you're getting at and that's also moving the goal post of the point. What is the value of drafting a QB in the 4-7th round if they will never play? There are better uses for that pick and free agency for a backup QB is a better path imo. Plus, wouldn't a 7 year vet QB be better suited to fill all the "other" duties as backup QB than a rookie?

If we're only worried about the ancillary benefits of a backup QB (meeting room, starter prep, etc) why not hire a former QB as an assistant to help with all of that? Surely, Josh McNown could help Matt Ryan in that aspect a ton more than Ehlinger right? Plus, it doesnt cost salary cap or picks.

37 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I know what you're getting at and that's also moving the goal post of the point. What is the value of drafting a QB in the 4-7th round if they will never play? There are better uses for that pick and free agency for a backup QB is a better path imo. Plus, wouldn't a 7 year vet QB be better suited to fill all the "other" duties as backup QB than a rookie?

If we're only worried about the ancillary benefits of a backup QB (meeting room, starter prep, etc) why not hire a former QB as an assistant to help with all of that? Surely, Josh McNown could help Matt Ryan in that aspect a ton more than Ehlinger right? Plus, it doesnt cost salary cap or picks.

The answer to your initial question -- why do teams pick QBs late in the draft -- is because backup QBs are important, and they intend to develop that player into a serviceable backup. 

That decision comes at the cost of picking another player who might play some reps while the backup QB is nailed to the bench, but in a league with limited roster spots, draft picks, and cap space, every decision comes at a cost. And since it's not likely that you're missing out on a difference maker that late in the draft, I don't see the point of second guessing the strategy.

39 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

What puzzles me, we drafted Eason in the 4th, and Sam in the 6th, but why? If we had no attention of even giving them a chance to play then that is 2 wasted draft picks. Eason has moved on and now we are looking at signing a Vet for a backup. Sam may never play a down. Why didn't we just sign a Vet backup when we signed Rivers and why did we even draft Sam at all? 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The answer to your initial question -- why do teams pick QBs late in the draft -- is because backup QBs are important, and they intend to develop that player into a serviceable backup. 

That decision comes at the cost of picking another player who might play some reps while the backup QB is nailed to the bench, but in a league with limited roster spots, draft picks, and cap space, every decision comes at a cost. And since it's not likely that you're missing out on a difference maker that late in the draft, I don't see the point of second guessing the strategy.

I think drafting Eason in 2020 with our 4th was a gigantic waste. As proven now. Drafting Sam in 2021 with our 6th looks to make 0 sense because it appears we have no faith in him to even be a backup.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Or to put it monetarily - the vet backup QBs in the league make 5-10M. This is serious cash for someone you hope to never play in a game. If you draft a QB who is good enough to be your backup, this is serious savings that can be used to make the roster stronger at other positions of need. So yes. once we have our long-term solution at QB, I personally would draft a QB every second year, somewhere in that R3-R7 range. I think it's smart and prudent strategy. 

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What puzzles me, we drafted Eason in the 4th, and Sam in the 6th, but why? If we had no attention of even giving them a chance to play then that is 2 wasted draft picks. Eason has moved on and now we are looking at signing a Vet for a backup. Sam may never play a down. Why didn't we just sign a Vet backup when we signed Rivers and why did we even draft Sam at all? 

They didn't sign a vet backup when they signed Rivers because JB was already on the roster. 

They drafted Eason that year to develop him into that backup role when JB left. But he's not any good.

Sam was likely drafted to challenge/replace Eason as the cheap young backup, as they thought they had their starting QB in Wentz for a long time. Plus, given his history, I doubt they were going to bring in a vet with Wentz here.

Sam clearly has the intangibles, but he's limited. So this year, they went out and got a backup QB.

After the 2017 season, Ballard said how important it was to have a backup QB. And he has been consistent on that, for every season except when they had Wentz.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

They didn't sign a vet backup when they signed Rivers because JB was already on the roster. 

They drafted Eason that year to develop him into that backup role when JB left. But he's not any good.

Sam was likely drafted to challenge/replace Eason as the cheap young backup, as they thought they had their starting QB in Wentz for a long time. Plus, given his history, I doubt they were going to bring in a vet with Wentz here.

Sam clearly has the intangibles, but he's limited. So this year, they went out and got a backup QB.

After the 2017 season, Ballard said how important it was to have a backup QB. And he has been consistent on that, for every season except when they had Wentz.

Well put.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Sam was likely drafted to challenge/replace Eason, as they thought they had their starting QB in Wentz for a long time. Plus, given his history, I doubt they were going to bring in a vet with Wentz here.

Good points but with JB on the roster as a solid backup, we should've never drafted Eason.

Archived