Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After the Draft: What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Or to put it monetarily - the vet backup QBs in the league make 5-10M. This is serious cash for someone you hope to never play in a game. If you draft a QB who is good enough to be your backup, this is serious savings that can be used to make the roster stronger at other positions of need. So yes. once we have our long-term solution at QB, I personally would draft a QB every second year, somewhere in that R3-R7 range. I think it's smart and prudent strategy. 

This really seemed like the perfect offseason to draft a QB in that R3 range. Guys like Willis, Ridder and Corral seem like such better prospects than guys like Eason or Ehlinger. And better than QBs that are typically available in that round in just about any other year.

People talk about the upside of hitting on a guy like Raimann, but the upside on hitting on one of those QBs was massive. Plus, we wouldn't have a 14-page thread about Nick Foles.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reality Eason was a wasted pick and it looks to be Sam is too. Eason was a wasted pick because he wasn't going to start here regardless even if Rivers retired after 2020 which he did. JB was going to be gone which he was because we knew he was just a solid backup. So Irsay and Ballard wasn't going to go with Eason period. They were, at the point going to go after a proven starter, that is why Wentz ended up here. Wentz was the best option in 2021 unfortunately. Another Tannehill, not bad but just barely above average. We got luckier than hell to get Matt Ryan for just a 3rd round pick, I mean lucky. That move alone will probably give us the division assuming Taylor even has close to a year he had last season. 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points but with JB on the roster as a solid backup, we should've never drafted Eason.

Two thoughts on this:

1. Teams knew about COVID at the time and it was pretty clear that it would likely have some impact on the 2020 season. So having a 3rd QB was important, especially if your QB1 and QB2 tested positive.

This probably applies to the Ehlinger pick as well because those same risks existed.

2. I think they knew JB was gone after that season, so getting Eason at that point gave them a year to redshirt him and have him ready to take that role in 2021.

It just hasn't worked out that way. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Two thoughts on this:

1. Teams knew about COVID at the time and it was pretty clear that it would likely have some impact on the 2020 season. So having a 3rd QB was important. This probably applies to the Ehlinger pick as well.

2. I think they knew JB was gone after that season, so getting Eason at that point gave them a year to redshirt him and have him ready to take that role in 2021.

It just hasn't worked out that way. 

Yeah I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, most of your points are valid. I just think drafting Eason with a 4 was a gamble. Sam with a 6 not really a gamble because it is a 6 but it looks like we have no faith in him.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In reality Eason was a wasted pick and it looks to be Sam is too. Eason was a wasted pick because he wasn't going to start here regardless even if Rivers retired after 2020 which he did. JB was going to be gone which he was because we knew he was just a solid backup. So Irsay and Ballard wasn't going to go with Eason period. They were, at the point going to go after a proven starter, that is why Wentz ended up here. Wentz was the best option in 2021 unfortunately. Another Tannehill, not bad but just barely above average. We got luckier than hell to get Matt Ryan for just a 3rd round pick, I mean lucky. That move alone will probably give us the division assuming Taylor even has close to a year he had last season. 

Eason didn't have much college experience so his evaluation was more risky.
 There was a different level of knowledge of Wentz.
   I still would not call them wasted picks. Their brains failed them, for Frank's system. Stuff happens.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the plan was for Rivers to be here two years. And they would draft a QB in 2021 to develop and take over. But then all of the PHI stuff happened and suddenly they heard the siren song of Wentz being a discount franchise QB.

Eason was always meant to be a backup QB...to push whatever rookie they drafted in 2021.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think the plan was for Rivers to be here two years. And they would draft a QB in 2021 to develop and take over. But then all of the PHI stuff happened and suddenly they heard the siren song of Wentz being a discount franchise QB.

Eason was always meant to be a backup QB...to push whatever rookie they drafted in 2021.

I still believe to this day Fields would be a Colt had Rivers played one more year.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even in your explanation, you post more nonsense.   You refer to Paye as playing the “non-sack”, run stopping position.  His spot may have more responsibility for the run, but he will also bring the pass rush.   You can count on it.   LV had multiple DEs who got big sacks, not just Ngokoue. 

Comparing Paye to Werner is 100 percent Doug Dew.   As was the worry that we traded a 3 down player for a non-starter.   Ngokoue’s snap counts show roughly a 70-80 percent count most ever year.  Not to mention the worry over the salary cap.   Another non issue that you tried to create.  

That’s three issues that are false….  And yet you wonder why I got triggered?   

LOL. I did nothing that you assert. 

The snap count thing only supports what I said COULD happen...because if Ngakoue plays that much...then pick 21 Paye is over at LDE playing the run a lot.  If Ngakoue plays less, then we traded a three down corner to get a part time pass rusher...and then having to use the cap on Gilmore to advance the roster.   Its not that complicated or dramatic of a dot connection here.

Who knows how Facsyon adds to the equation.

I did not compare Paye to Werner.  I mentioned Werner as a possible trajectory...just like Dayo or any other DE taken by anybody in the first round.  Goodness.  That is NOT a comparison...that's your typical strawman extrapolation..  The fact that Paye is practicing at LDE and the fact that he is a short striding non bendy player athletically may be a reason why he might yield to Ngakoue a lot (as you predict, apparently).   Who knows how this will turn out?  When I say that its POSSIBLE...tell me...how do you read the word possible?  

I expressed no worry over the cap.  You keep saying it like I did.  The point of what I said was that with the serious of trades, the advancement of the roster came by signing Gilmore...IOW...the Colts settling at a place that takes up more percentage salary cap than what we've seen under Ballard.

Use more cap = Get better roster.  Duh.  A thought that is not very dramatic.

19 hours ago, csmopar said:

For what it’s worth, Payes stats already are better than Werner. 

the only thing they have in common is the team they were chosen by. Werner played OLB more than DE in a 3-4 that basically had the wrong people playing in it. 

Do folks not understand big picture concepts...and only read comments through the lens of minutia, like stats?  (comment not intended for you)

Werner was relegated to the other side DE because he could not get to the QB.  Since we now traded for a pass rusher, perhaps Bradley sees Paye's short striding non bendiness as more suited to the other side DE...so he wanted Ngakuoe.    In that respect, its possible that we're heading down the path of pick 21 going for a run stopper more than a pass rusher, which is what Werner had to become.   That's the similarity.  Nobody is saying that stats or career longevity are going to be the same....primarily, because we have no real idea. 

Jaball Sheard got steady pressure but not that many sacks. 

57 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do folks not understand big picture concepts...and only read comments through the lens of minutia, like stats?  (comment not intended for you)

Werner was relegated to the other side DE because he could not get to the QB.  Since we now traded for a pass rusher, perhaps Bradley sees Paye's short striding non bendiness as more suited to the other side DE...so he wanted Ngakuoe.    In that respect, its possible that we're heading down the path of pick 21 going for a run stopper more than a pass rusher, which is what Werner had to become.   That's the similarity.  Nobody is saying that stats or career longevity are going to be the same....primarily, because we have no real idea. 

Jaball Sheard got steady pressure but not that many sacks. 

Those are two completely different systems Doug.

Werner was miscast and played in a 3-4 and just didnt fit in his role. There was also talk that he wasnt a hard worker and never really developed the mindset he needed to be successful. Paye has that mindset and worker mentality already. 

There also has been talk that this version of Bradleys defense will feature 2 LEOs.....so what Paye is expected to do wont really change with him moving to the other side.

I also think these guys are gonna move around a little bit.

29 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Those are two completely different systems Doug.

Werner was miscast and played in a 3-4 and just didnt fit in his role. There was also talk that he wasnt a hard worker and never really developed the mindset he needed to be successful. Paye has that mindset and worker mentality already. 

There also has been talk that this version of Bradleys defense will feature 2 LEOs.....so what Paye is expected to do wont really change with him moving to the other side.

I also think these guys are gonna move around a little bit.

Its a similarity in that Paye and Werner were the only two DEs...expected pass rushers... the Colts have drafted in the first round in the past ten years.  Not saying they are the same player.  I'm saying its a possibility that their skill set ends up giving them similar uses in the defenses they played....run support.

If you look at Paye not getting a lot of sack production in college, and a lot of pressure but not sack production as a rookie, so far during his young career, the closest comparing Colts player would be Jaball Sheard, IMO.  As a player, yes, but we didn't give up a first round pick for Sheard.

But lots of improvement is expected from the first to second years so we'll see where it goes.  

Where does Paye line up if Yannick is in the game...and how often will Yannick be in the game?

Werner sucked, people talked about how many batted down passes he had while at Florida State, well, that was because he was so bad he couldn't get any where near the qb so he would stop and put his arms up to try and deflect a pass. That strategy never has worked in the nfl and never will. Werner was so slow out on the field he had no chance.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What puzzles me, we drafted Eason in the 4th, and Sam in the 6th, but why? If we had no attention of even giving them a chance to play then that is 2 wasted draft picks. Eason has moved on and now we are looking at signing a Vet for a backup. Sam may never play a down. Why didn't we just sign a Vet backup when we signed Rivers and why did we even draft Sam at all? 

Thats what I was getting at but you said it better. 

Why not draft any other position in those spots and sign a backup QB that somebody else cut loose as their former starter or backup (Chase Daniel, Colt McCoy, AJ McCaron*)? Isnt that win/win? Quality backup and a draft pick used on someone you hope plays?

*not sure if those dudes still play but you get idea

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Its a similarity in that Paye and Werner were the only two DEs...expected pass rushers... the Colts have drafted in the first round in the past ten years.  Not saying they are the same player.  I'm saying its a possibility that their skill set ends up giving them similar uses in the defenses they played....run support.

If you look at Paye not getting a lot of sack production in college, and a lot of pressure but not sack production as a rookie, so far during his young career, the closest comparing Colts player would be Jaball Sheard, IMO.  As a player, yes, but we didn't give up a first round pick for Sheard.

But lots of improvement is expected from the first to second years so we'll see where it goes.  

Where does Paye line up if Yannick is in the game...and how often will Yannick be in the game?

To the bolded...I believe Paye's athleticism will allow him to be a better pass rusher.  He was drafted 21, not 1 or 2.  So unrealistic expectations are just that...plus he played linebacker in college as well.

He will line up opposite of Yannick, and guess what, it will help him in the pass rush game.  Yannick may play 70 percent or so of snaps, as has been the MO in his career.  

I am excited to see how this all plays out....

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think Yannick will be in the game a lot. But I can see a scenario where Dayo and Kwity play a lot together on early downs and deep redzone situations to keep Yannick fresh for 3rd down. 

I see what youre saying. Werner did have a descent season with 4 sacks that was very similar to Payes rookie season, if I remember correctly. 

But I think the difference between the two lies mostly in their mental makeup and work ethic. 

5 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think Yannick will be in the game a lot. But I can see a scenario where Dayo and Kwity play a lot together on early downs and deep redzone situations to keep Yannick fresh for 3rd down. 

I see what youre saying. Werner did have a descent season with 4 sacks that was very similar to Payes rookie season, if I remember correctly. 

But I think the difference between the two lies mostly in their mental makeup and work ethic. 

For what it’s worth….  

A season is roughly 1000-1100 snaps.    Ngokoue has typically played 700-800 snaps.   So, roughly 70–80 percent.    So, better than 2 out of every 3 snaps. 

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Skipping over the DE comp talk, and commenting on the above. I think the biggest two things that slowed Paye's production/stats last year were scheme (read/react) and the fact we didn't really have a threat opposite to him. 

Gus's scheme will be more "rushing on rails" which Buckner called a breath of fresh air (over Flus's read/react). 

Most everywhere (articles, depth charts) have YN at RDE and KP at LDE. I think YN will stay off the field on 1st down most of the time given his run D has been pretty poor. 

I think there's also a chance KP slides inside at times when Stewart comes out on passing downs. Paye had pretty nice success on the interior in college. Not all the time, but situationally. 

10 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Agreed. See above. I think YN will be more than just 3rd down, but hope they keep him off the field in clear running downs. Going to be interesting to see how Bradley's D morphs with our current talent. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Beginning to think he just doesn’t want to do OTA.

Doubt it. 

I'm guessing he has and offer on the table from Indy, and probably one of the two other teams reported to be in the mix (Balt and ?). I'm guessing his agent is doing what any good agent should do, and is playing one off the other. Doubt Ballard moves much off his original, and he'll simply need to choose between Indy (for a little less) or a new team for a little more. If I were him, the thing I'd be most concerned with is playing time. Doubt anyone will guarantee that, but I'm sure getting to 10K is his biggest priority aside from $. Baltimore's depth chart at WR is full of questions, just like ours. 

17 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I was just reading holders story on Hilton from a few days ago. He said TY has not ruled out retirement and he has been told Julio is not a fit for the Colts.

I have heard the same. "The Athlethic's Stephen Holder also states that the Colts have decided internally that free agent Julio Jones is not a fit for them despite his history with QB Matt Ryan."

JJ Stankevitz of Colts.com reports that the Colts Dayo Odeyingbo admitted recently that he struggled getting acclimated to the NFL last season as he missed both the offseason and training camp due to injury. "I kind of got more comfortable towards the end of the year, but it was definitely a growing process coming into the year with no offseason, no camp and coming in off the injury trying to figure everything out. But towards the end of the year I started to get more comfortable, but definitely through this offseason I've made a lot of progress with my Achilles and just my body in general. So, I'm really excited for this season."

Indianapolis –The Indianapolis Colts today signed free agent running back Ty'Son Williams and waived center Alex Mollette. Williams, 6-0, 220 pounds, spent the last two seasons (2020-21) with the Baltimore Ravens. In 2021, he played in 13 games (three starts) and registered 35 carries for 185 yards and one touchdown.

Just watched a intreview Ballard did with some podcasters on YouTube. He was asked a lot a vet WR. He said he wants to evaluate what they have before making a decision on TY. 

This is kind of like that RB that was just signed and Lindsey. They didn’t like what they had on the roster outside of Hines and Taylor so went out and found some better ones.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

JJ Stankevitz of Colts.com reports that the Colts Dayo Odeyingbo admitted recently that he struggled getting acclimated to the NFL last season as he missed both the offseason and training camp due to injury. "I kind of got more comfortable towards the end of the year, but it was definitely a growing process coming into the year with no offseason, no camp and coming in off the injury trying to figure everything out. But towards the end of the year I started to get more comfortable, but definitely through this offseason I've made a lot of progress with my Achilles and just my body in general. So, I'm really excited for this season."

Dayo was my favorite Edge prospect in last year's draft pre-injury and was still high up on my list after the injury. I think a full offseason where's he's able to not have to worry about rehab with do wonders for him. He's a really talented guy that should thrive in that big DE role in GB's scheme.

I went to an old school barber shop this morning, got all my hair cut off and I look 10 years younger but not the point lmao . Nice having a no guard! There were a couple of guys in there were damn near 70 years old and a couple my age waiting to get groomed. We were all talking Colts football. One of the older guys without hesitation said Matt Ryan is the best QB we have had since Peyton Manning. He laughed when I brought up Tannehill being a rival of the Colts. There wasn't one person in that shop that doesn't think we won't win the division. Man the pressure is on folks - that is how Indianapolis is right now! If Frank doesn't win the South this year, there will be a lot people here locally that will be mad and disappointed. 

21 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Right.  Paye plays RDE on "running downs" then switches to LDE on "passing downs", shoving Dayo inside.  (Lewis and Dayo essentially competing for that same role).  Yannick does not play "running downs".  That's what I was implying with my first post.  We traded a three down player in RYS for a less than three down player in Yannick, with the difference being Ballard used up more cap space than normal to fill the vacancy at Corner.  Its an advancement of the roster, and that's good.  My point was not to criticize Paye but to show that the roster that it was advanced, when the dust settles from all of the transactions, by using up more cap space than what Ballard typically has done.   

A pretty standard formula for NFL GMs.

The mention of Werner was not comparing the players straight up to each other as much as I'm comparing where they were drafted and the expectations of them both being the "elixir" pass rushers.  With the addition of Yannick, it seems like the FO is thinking that Paye is not that guy......yet.   Its not a bad thing, just maybe different than what we were thinking of what Paye was going to bring. 

Ballard has taken his share of the blame for last year. Sure looks like he aggressive in assuring he that is not the case this off season filling the roster. While he is staying away on over payment for a bloated WR market, he continues to work aggressively to fill the colts roster. Sure seems like the team is making quick decisions about the potential of the draft/UDFA class. Running Back signings is a good example of this. Look forward to hearing which UDFA signings are surprising the team with their initial performances. Camp will be very interesting this year with the current roster turnover. Still would feel much better if the team added a Vet WR.

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Ballard has taken his share of the blame for last year. Sure looks like he aggressive in assuring he that is not the case this off season filling the roster. While he is staying away on over payment for a bloated WR market, he continues to work aggressively to fill the colts roster. Sure seems like the team is making quick decisions about the potential of the draft/UDFA class. Running Back signings is a good example of this. Look forward to hearing which UDFA signings are surprising the team with their initial performances. Camp will be very interesting this year with the current roster turnover. Still would feel much better if the team added a Vet WR.

He hasn't been aggressive at WR, and that was arguably the biggest need on the roster going into the offseason. 

We have plenty of young, talented, but unproven players at the position right now. Assume Pierce is ready to start, and he and MPJ are healthy all season. We'll still need Campbell to stay healthy, or Coutee to be a capable WR3. We'll need Patmon/Strahan to be capable backups. And we'll probably need one of the UDFA-level guys to latch on. None of those are reliable options, and if any of them works out, it will be very fortunate for us. (And that doesn't even include the uncertainty of Pierce.)

If those options don't work out, we'll be lacking at WR again, and it will be because the staff didn't place a higher priority on this much needed position in the offseason. 

I hope that their plans come to fruition. I hope the WR corps outperforms my expectations, I hope Hines gets involved in the passing game and we exploit whatever mismatches that creates. But I think we should have done more at this position in free agency.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not only predicting we start 2-0 but I am predicting 2 blow outs. I think we beat Houston something like 34-7, then we take of care of the Jags 30-10. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

No reason we shouldn't beat the Texans in the opener. Schedule makers did us a favor for once. 

Archived