Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After the Draft: What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

TY might over play his hand with the Colts.  The longer he doesn’t sign the more likely they become comfortable with the young guys and decide they don’t need him.  With that said if the Ravens are truly interested in him he might not mind.

This is not a situation where Ballard wants him to sign. It comes down to whether Ballard feels they need a vet. Decision will be made before camp.

11 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Colts Land at #11 in NFLTR's final power ranking list of the summer. Titans ranked at #16. Do you expect the Colts to be that much better than the back to back AFC South Champions?

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfltr-review-final-2022-offseason-nfl-power-rankings/

In reality the difference between Team 11 and team 16 is not that big... probably 1 win difference. Which is fair enough, they lost their best receiving weapon and we improved in some of the most important positions in the game. 

GMFB: Host names the Colts as the most likely destination for OBJ. OBJ has been complimentary of the Colts new QB as we see below:

Random thought …. Bruh I really think Matt Ryan to the colts was actually , I think bruh will elevate and do sum special over there.

— Odell Beckham Jr (@obj) March 22, 2022

Matt Ryan was ranked 10th amongst 16 AFC QB's. Too high, too low, just right? Here is a list of current AFC QB's below in no particular order. I personally think Matt is ranked a little low.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/13/indianapolis-colts-matt-ryan-ranked-afc-quarterbacks/

1. P. Mahomes

2. R. Wilson

3. L. Jackson

4. J. Allen

5. D. Watson (or maybe Mayfield) or maybe not

6. D. Carr

7. M. Ryan

8. R. Tannenhill

9. J. Burrow

10. J. Herbert

11. M. Jones

12. T. Lawrence

13. M. Trubisky, K. Pickett

14. T. Tagovailoa

15. D. Mills

16. Z. Wilson

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Matt Ryan was ranked 10th amongst 16 AFC QB's. Too high, too low, just right? Here is a list of current AFC QB's below in no particular order. I personally think Matt is ranked a little low.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/13/indianapolis-colts-matt-ryan-ranked-afc-quarterbacks/

1. P. Mahomes

2. J. Allen

3. R. Wilson

4. D. Carr

5. D. Watson (or maybe Mayfield) or maybe not

6. J. Herbert

7. L. Jackson

8. J. Burrow

9. R. Tannenhill

10. M. Ryan

11. M. Jones

12. T. Lawrence

13. M. Trubisky, K. Pickett

14. T. Tagovailoa

15. D. Mills

16. Z. Wilson

I'm good with the first 6 except I'd reverse Carr and Watson. Then I'd finish off the top ten with Burrow at 7; Ryan at 8; Jackson at 9; and Tannehill at 10. With Tua at 11. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lol. Imagine if this happened. Poor Carson. Our WR group would be sick if we could pull this off. I don’t think we can pay him and Pittman though.

McLaurin is unhappy and Moore is unhappy.  Could Ballard find a way?  If Kenny pushes too hard I guess anything is possible.  We shall see the future holds for Kenny.

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

McLaurin is unhappy and Moore is unhappy.  Could Ballard find a way?  If Kenny pushes too hard I guess anything is possible.  We shall see the future holds for Kenny.

Two problems that I can see….

One….  We appear to have four corners that we like…. Gilmore, Moore, Rogers, Facyson.  

So…. if we trade Moore, who replaces him?   The fall off to the rest of the corners we have appears steep.  

Two….   I honestly don’t think Ballard wants a receiver who wants $20-25 mill a year.   Whether it’s McLauren, or Hill, or Adams, or anyone else.   I think Ballard feels he can put together an acceptable receiver room for much less money than that. 

There may be other issues, but I think these two are enough to throw cold water on this idea….

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We will have to pay MPJ next offseason. I don’t think we can afford both. If we didn’t have MPJ due after this season I would do it.

57 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Ballard could trade Kenny Moore and get a guy like McLaurin back, I'm on board. Moore could be replaced with Isaiah Rodgers, as Rodgers is best suited as a nickel back with his size. McLaurin would give the Colts a good shifty route running WR that they don't currently have, as both Pittman and Pierce are bigger bodied guys. 

36 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We will have to pay MPJ next offseason. I don’t think we can afford both. If we didn’t have MPJ due after this season I would do it.

I'm not worried about MPJ's upcoming contract.  There is so much that can be done with cap space and contracts.  No idea on how McLaurins contract would look or effect the cap.  Kenny leaving would help the cap as well.  As long as Irsay has the cash to pay the upfront guarantees on these contracts or restructures we should be good.  That's how I see it anyway.  

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not worried about MPJ's upcoming contract.  There is so much that can be done with cap space and contracts.  No idea on how McLaurins contract would look or effect the cap.  Kenny leaving would help the cap as well.  As long as Irsay has the cash to pay the upfront guarantees on these contracts or restructures we should be good.  That's how I see it anyway.  

Mcleurin extension will probably be in the 100 million range. Close to what brown had. And don’t discount Pittman getting that much next summer either.

4 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lol. Imagine if this happened. Poor Carson. Our WR group would be sick if we could pull this off. I don’t think we can pay him and Pittman though.

Colts only have 10 mil is cap with extensions looming.

Mcleurin extension will probably be in the 100 million range. Close to what brown had. And don’t discount Pittman getting that much next summer either.

The difference is that brown got $100m over 4 years — $25m per. 

Washington may be willing to give McLauren $100m, but may want to do it over 5 years — $20m per.   Big difference.  

And that may be the holdup….

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Look for contract restructures near the end of July around the return of camp.   That’s what we did a year ago.   We re-did several contracts in order to sign Leonard, Smith and Hines last summer. 

We didn’t give Leonard $100m.   Nelson is likely going to get it.   I’d be beyond shocked if Pittman even comes close.  It would be a very un-Ballard-like thing to do.   $100m for a receiver?    I don’t see it.   

I’m thinking 4 years at $18m per.   $72 mill.  I think the key will be the guarantees.

That’s my prediction. 

5 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Colts have lots of ways of making cap space if they want someone.  The question is do they want someone to do it?  In McLaurin’s case it wouldn’t just be a big contract it would be what they have to give up in a trade to get him too.  I’d be surprised if the Colts were in on him but I’ve been surprised before.  If they aren’t I think it would be more what they have to give up in a trade than a contract.  Irsay has zero problems spending on that front and Ballard can work the cap like any other GM to make it work if they wanted too.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We didn’t give Leonard $100m.   Nelson is likely going to get it.   I’d be beyond shocked if Pittman even comes close.  It would be a very un-Ballard-like thing to do.   $100m for a receiver?    I don’t see it.   

I’m thinking 4 years at $18m per.   $72 mill.  I think the key will be the guarantees.

That’s my prediction. 

Then you can say good bye to Pittman. If he has a few hundred more yards this year it’s going to be a huge contract.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Colts have lots of ways of making cap space if they want someone.  The question is do they want someone to do it?  In McLaurin’s case it wouldn’t just be a big contract it would be what they have to give up in a trade to get him too.  I’d be surprised if the Colts were in on him but I’ve been surprised before.  If they aren’t I think it would be more what they have to give up in a trade than a contract.  Irsay has zero problems spending on that front and Ballard can work the cap like any other GM to make it work if they wanted too.

This discussion re McLaurin is looney tunes from Every conceivable angle.

Pure drivel. Pierce will meet or exceed him soon, very soon.
 And Campbell will make people forget about this silly blather. 
All for pennies on the $$.

58 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Interesting. We drafted pierce so maybe that interest has gone out the window.

Interesting.  So we definitely inquired about McLaurin a few months ago knowing he was seeking a new contract.  Pierce and McLaurin are not the “same” receiver.  They would compliment each other.  My guess is if we were interested a few months ago we would still be interested now.  Given we actually inquired give’s this trade possibility a stronger chance of happening than I originally would have thought.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting.  So we definitely inquired about McLaurin a few months ago knowing he was seeking a new contract.  Pierce and McLaurin are not the “same” receiver.  They would compliment each other.  My guess is if we were interested a few months ago we would still be interested now.  Given we actually inquired give’s this trade possibility a stronger chance of happening than I originally would have thought.

It’s the opposite. Could of been interested before the draft but now we got pierce probably not.

5 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Then you can say good bye to Pittman. If he has a few hundred more yards this year it’s going to be a huge contract.

We will approach Pittman (and Taylor) next spring about contract extensions.  If we think we can work out a deal, then we will and he’ll remain a Colt.   But if he wants more than Ballard thinks he’s worth — and if the young WRs are developing — then I can see Ballard trading him so we get something in return as we did with Rock.  I don’t see us letting Pittman walk out the door for nothing. 

Finally….   Not every good receiver gets $100 mill.   There’s no law that says it must be so.   There’s nothing insulting about $18m per on a contract of 4/72.   Some receivers are willing to take slightly less to stay in the right place.  I think MPJ likes Indy….   Likes being our WR1 so I think this eventually works out.   Again, I think the guarantees are key.   Or, maybe I’m wrong and Ballard is willing to go to $20m per on 4/80?   I just don’t see him going to 5/100. 

Archived