Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After the Draft: What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pittman will not get similar money to McLaurin.   3-years and up to $71 mill is nearly $24 mill per year.    I don’t see the Colts agreeing to that type of contract. 

I think it'll all depend on what happens this season. If he puts up 1000 yards again, his price won't be low. I agree the 23M/y McLaurin got is probably more than what Ballard wants to pay, but if Pittman stays healthy and takes another step forward (16th in WR yards last season) to say just 1200 (putting him in the top 10), it'll be hard not to pay him top 10 (whatever his equivalent yards to yearly salary is). 

It'll be interesting to see how things play out this year. Lots of questions. Will the offense be more wide open with Ryan (creating more opportunity perhaps for Pittman). Will Campbell stay healthy (potentially taking away targets from MP). How will guys like Pierce and Hines, TEs, or others, impact targets, given Ryan might have some favorites of his own this season. 

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ballard and Reich Continue to be Impressed with Jelani Woods:

Colts GM Chris Ballard is excited about third-round TE Jelani Woods and compared him to current Colts TE Mo Alie-Cox.

“It’s kind of like Mo,” Ballard said, via ESPN. “When you’re 6-7, the quarterback can put the ball up, and he’s…able to make a play on it. This kid can run. This kid can really run, so we’re excited to get him.”

Colts HC Frank Reich wants Woods to gain consistency and develop as a blocker in order to take his game to the next level.  “I felt like he looked even bigger in person. I really did,” Reich said. “I mean, he’s a big man. I knew he was big on tape, but he’s a big man — really looked good. It’s all going to be, for Jelani, about consistency, about not just making the big flash play, but really developing as a blocker. That’s going to be really important.”

Colts GM Chris Ballard believes Woods will be able to get the blocking aspect of his job down, adding that he expects him to put on an additional 25-30 pounds as well. “Mo went through this, and Mo’s gotten better at it, but any time you’re that tall, learning how to play with leverage and play with your pad level down,” Ballard said. “It’s just something that’s going to take a lot of work. He’s a big man. I think he’s got 230 pounds of lean mass on his body. He’s probably going to play at about 255-260. It’ll take him some time to learn how to really block, but he did it at Oklahoma State. So, we think he’ll be able to do it here.”

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/afc_notes_colts_davis_mills_texans_titans/s1_17039_37632024

30 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Colts GM Chris Ballard is excited about third-round TE Jelani Woods and compared him to current Colts TE Mo Alie-Cox.

“It’s kind of like Mo,” Ballard said, via ESPN. “When you’re 6-7, the quarterback can put the ball up, and he’s…able to make a play on it. This kid can run. This kid can really run, so we’re excited to get him.”

Colts HC Frank Reich wants Woods to gain consistency and develop as a blocker in order to take his game to the next level.  “I felt like he looked even bigger in person. I really did,” Reich said. “I mean, he’s a big man. I knew he was big on tape, but he’s a big man — really looked good. It’s all going to be, for Jelani, about consistency, about not just making the big flash play, but really developing as a blocker. That’s going to be really important.”

Colts GM Chris Ballard believes Woods will be able to get the blocking aspect of his job down, adding that he expects him to put on an additional 25-30 pounds as well. “Mo went through this, and Mo’s gotten better at it, but any time you’re that tall, learning how to play with leverage and play with your pad level down,” Ballard said. “It’s just something that’s going to take a lot of work. He’s a big man. I think he’s got 230 pounds of lean mass on his body. He’s probably going to play at about 255-260. It’ll take him some time to learn how to really block, but he did it at Oklahoma State. So, we think he’ll be able to do it here.”

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/afc_notes_colts_davis_mills_texans_titans/s1_17039_37632024

Pretty much what I've been saying. 

Going to paste your post into the Woods thread.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

As long he doesn’t get as slow and heavy-footed as Mo that’s fine…

I lost the link to the article but Pro Football Focus gave our linebackers some love with a #2 ranking ranking as a group among NFL teams.  I was a little shocked the Colts were ranked that highly.  I know Leonard is all pro but they had positive comments about the rest of the starting unit too.  I hope they and the rest of the team can stay relatively healthy this year.

20 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Looks like Stephen Holder is leaving the Athletic. Sounds like he will still be covering  football but he didn’t mention for who.

He gets too political..... I'm guessing that is at least part of why his contract wasn't picked up again. 

And the Athletic has been going through changes. They've never been profitable. Their goal was to use venture capital, grow subs, and sell. And that's what happened. NYTs bought them. They were also losing subs due to too much politics. So much, that leadership actually had to lay down the law and tell the writers to start writing more about sports, and less about woke opinions. 

On 6/29/2022 at 9:29 AM, EastStreet said:

I think it'll all depend on what happens this season. If he puts up 1000 yards again, his price won't be low. I agree the 23M/y McLaurin got is probably more than what Ballard wants to pay, but if Pittman stays healthy and takes another step forward (16th in WR yards last season) to say just 1200 (putting him in the top 10), it'll be hard not to pay him top 10 (whatever his equivalent yards to yearly salary is). 

It'll be interesting to see how things play out this year. Lots of questions. Will the offense be more wide open with Ryan (creating more opportunity perhaps for Pittman). Will Campbell stay healthy (potentially taking away targets from MP). How will guys like Pierce and Hines, TEs, or others, impact targets, given Ryan might have some favorites of his own this season. 

Ryan's favorites will be the ones that can get open and hold on to the ball.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, EastStreet said:

He gets too political..... I'm guessing that is at least part of why his contract wasn't picked up again. 

And the Athletic has been going through changes. They've never been profitable. Their goal was to use venture capital, grow subs, and sell. And that's what happened. NYTs bought them. They were also losing subs due to too much politics. So much, that leadership actually had to lay down the law and tell the writers to start writing more about sports, and less about woke opinions. 

Wait just a second are you talking politics?

On 7/2/2022 at 10:16 AM, TheShadow said:

Ryan's favorites will be the ones that can get open and hold on to the ball.

Well, that's typically the goal right lol. But it's also about the ability to run routes and be where you're supposed to be. And simply from a snap perspective, our staff has placed a premium on guys being able to block (just to get on the field). 

So far we know he's got good chemistry with Campbell. We know Pittman is going to be a primary read as well.

We also know that both Granson and Woods have had hands issues. We know Woods needs to up his game blocking. 

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No, I'm saying his talking politics is likely why he's not extended. 

I did notice most of his tweets were political and some arguing with people. At this point I’ve shut my Twitter down. Can’t handle all the arguing and stupid anymore. 

28 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I did notice most of his tweets were political and some arguing with people. At this point I’ve shut my Twitter down. Can’t handle all the arguing and stupid anymore. 

Personally, I'll read sports news regardless of the writer's political views. I just ignore it for the most part, and focus on the sports. But all the political chatter (not just his) was impacting subs for a sub dependent news provider. People have the right to say whatever they want, but employers also have a right to hire/fire/extend/not-extend folks based on impact to their bottom line. Frankly I never thought he was that good in the first place. There was nothing unique or really insider about his articles. Just mostly opinion and regurgitation of the same stuff that others were also reporting. I'm sure he'll land somewhere. But there'll never be a shortage of new lol, so don't really care one way or another. 

I like Holder.  WIBC has new ownership.  Perhaps he's somehow being added to the mix.  They could use it, as 3 of their 4 main radio personalities seem to care much more about high school and 1980's Big Ten basketball than they do the NFL.

49 minutes ago, #12. said:

I like Holder.  WIBC has new ownership.  Perhaps he's somehow being added to the mix.  They could use it, as 3 of their 4 main radio personalities seem to care much more about high school and 1980's Big Ten basketball than they do the NFL.

I didn't think WIBC really focused on sports at all?

My buddy mentioned that the company that bought them does mostly urban music and not a lot of sports?

3 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

I mean, it’s impressive but who in the NFC could really challenge him in those seasons?

Brees - yes

Rodgers - yes

Wilson - maybe

Prescott - maybe

Eli Manning? Nope

Wentz? Nope

Garoppolo? Nope

Murray? Nope

Goff? Nope

Cousins? Nope

I’m be a lot more interested in how he ranks league wide. 

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I mean, it’s impressive but who in the NFC could really challenge him in those seasons?

Brees - yes

Rodgers - yes

Wilson - maybe

Prescott - maybe

Eli Manning? Nope

Wentz? Nope

Garoppolo? Nope

Murray? Nope

Goff? Nope

Cousins? Nope

League wide:

'21: 10th

'20: 1st

'19: 3rd

'18: 4th

'17: 6th

'16: 2nd

'15: 2nd

'14: 4th

'13: 5th

'12: 4th

'11: 8th

'10: 6th

Top 10 league wide all seasons

Top 6 league wide 10/12 seasons

Top 5 league wide 8/12 seasons

Top 3 league wide 4/12 seasons

Best league wide 1/12 seasons

That's still pretty darn impressive.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Brees - yes

Rodgers - yes

Wilson - maybe

Prescott - maybe

Eli Manning? Nope

Wentz? Nope

Garoppolo? Nope

Murray? Nope

Goff? Nope

Cousins? Nope

Stafford. Throw in Brady the last two years. Cam at various points. To be top five each year (and top three all but two seasons), is noteworthy. 

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Stafford. Throw in Brady the last two years. Cam at various points. To be top five each year (and top three all but two seasons), is noteworthy. 

whats more noteworthy is that many of these years, ryan did this in spite of  bad coaching, bad players, and a bad front office. 

Looks like Brissett will get some starter PT assuming Watson misses time. Also assumes he beats out Dobbs, which I think he will.

A little surprised Cleveland only got a 4th (or 5th) in 2024 for Baker from Carolina, and Cleveland even agreed to pick up most of the salary lol. Super cheap. 

Go JB!

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Looks like Brissett will get some starter PT assuming Watson misses time. Also assumes he beats out Dobbs, which I think he will.

A little surprised Cleveland only got a 4th (or 5th) in 2024 for Baker from Carolina, and Cleveland even agreed to pick up most of the salary lol. Super cheap. 

Go JB!

Ryan went for a 3rd.  A 4th for a dart throw on an expiring contract seems about right. They would likely need to franchise tag him if he has a good season bc they probably wont be extending him before that. I would guess ownership wont allow it before that.  This seems like a desperate move by the Panthers so I expect changes after the season if not before. 

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Go JB!

It looked for a while that Cleveland would have to cut him. So compared to that , they get a 4th and 8-9 mill in cap relief. They probably jumped at the offer.

8 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Ryan went for a 3rd.  A 4th for a dart throw on an expiring contract seems about right. They would likely need to franchise tag him if he has a good season bc they probably wont be extending him before that. I would guess ownership wont allow it before that.  This seems like a desperate move by the Panthers so I expect changes after the season if not before. 

Very different situations IMO. ATL likely could have gotten more, but were in a rush to make the situation (stink of Watson attempt, and horrendous cap) go away. As far as the Panthers go, I don't really see it as desperate. Very low risk cheap move. But I agree changes are likely coming. I'm a little surprised Seattle didn't grab him at that price. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

It looked for a while that Cleveland would have to cut him. So compared to that , they get a 4th and 8-9 mill in cap relief. They probably jumped at the offer.

Baker will have some pretty good target options. And they really did their best trying to improve what was arguably the worst OL in the league last season. I wouldn't be shocked if they made some noise. They got some nice young talent if Baker can get his sheet together. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Baker will have some pretty good target options. And they really did their best trying to improve what was arguably the worst OL in the league last season. I wouldn't be shocked if they made some noise. They got some nice young talent if Baker can get his sheet together. 

I think bakers game will really compliment CMC too. If they go back to what he is best at that quick passing game he should flourish.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think bakers game will really compliment CMC too. If they go back to what he is best at that quick passing game he should flourish.

If there OL is as improved as some say, a Baker/McCaffrey/DJ Moore threesome could be pretty productive and fun. Anderson and Marshall aren't slouches either. And if Hubbard takes a step forward with that improved OL, Panthers could be very well rounded. 

On D, they've got pretty good DBs and LBs. The DL needs help though and is young. 

TB should still win that division, but #2 is up for grabs. 

Archived