Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After the Draft: What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

44 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I didn't remember Strachan playing much at all last season so I looked it up.

He played 6 games and had 2 catches in 6 games for 26 yards.

Not sure if he's just not getting enough opportunities but I didn't think the Colts WR corp was especially deep.

He played mostly in the first several games. Then seemed to lose the trust of Reich and didn't get much playing time. 

Here are his snap counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StraMi03/gamelog/2021/

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yeah it’s so weird that Strachan looked like he was going to contribute then didn’t get any playing time.

It’s not really that weird.   

The Colts went against teams that played mostly 2nd and 3rd string defenses against us in pre-season games.   But the jump to 1st string defenses is HUGE!   They’re bigger, faster, more experienced than anyone Strachan has ever faced.  

There should be modest noticeable improvement this year. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s not really that weird.   

The Colts went against teams that played mostly 2nd and 3rd string defenses against us in pre-season games.   But the jump to 1st string defenses is HUGE!   They’re bigger, faster, more experienced than anyone Strachan has ever faced.  

There should be modest noticeable improvement this year. 

It wasn’t a preseason game where he had those big catches and third downs. He was playing and contributing early in the season then nothing. Was a healthy scratch.

It wasn’t a preseason game where he had those big catches and third downs. He was playing and contributing early in the season then nothing. Was a healthy scratch.

He had two catches — total.   That’s it.   It’s not like he was dominating anyone.  He only played well in the pre-season.   And it’s not like he was in a Dog House.   He just couldn’t perform at the needed level. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

He had two catches — total.   That’s it.   It’s not like he was dominating anyone.  He only played well in the pre-season.   And it’s not like he was in a Dog House.   He just couldn’t perform at the needed level. 

He looked really good game one, when he had both of his catches. He had 2 catches in 2 targets, both being 1st downs. 

He only got one more target (in game 2) the rest of the season, and never got substantial snaps after week 2. It's probably fair to softly assume that playing early in the situation (horrible OL, Wentz being new and beat up) was not an easy feat. Over the next 7 games, he was inactive twice, and only 10 snaps on O in the 5 games he was active. 

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think he had the mental side of the game down packed. He also ran his routes in such a way that he was having trouble getting open.

I think most expected that he'd take time to develop. I was very surprised with his use and productivity in game one last season. 

Given his college history, pretty obvious he'd need time on routes and footwork/hipwork. Hoping he had a productive offseason with a good trainer. He got elite traits, so if he can polish up, there's a lot of upside. Great hands, good ball tracking, can climb, etc.. Just needs to round out his game. It'll be interesting to see who sticks in terms of Strachan and Patmon. I don't think both will fit on the 53. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He looked really good game one, when he had both of his catches. He had 2 catches in 2 targets, both being 1st downs. 

He only got one more target (in game 2) the rest of the season, and never got substantial snaps after week 2. It's probably fair to softly assume that playing early in the situation (horrible OL, Wentz being new and beat up) was not an easy feat. Over the next 7 games, he was inactive twice, and only 10 snaps on O in the 5 games he was active. 

I think most expected that he'd take time to develop. I was very surprised with his use and productivity in game one last season. 

Given his college history, pretty obvious he'd need time on routes and footwork/hipwork. Hoping he had a productive offseason with a good trainer. He got elite traits, so if he can polish up, there's a lot of upside. Great hands, good ball tracking, can climb, etc.. Just needs to round out his game. It'll be interesting to see who sticks in terms of Strachan and Patmon. I don't think both will fit on the 53. 

I agree with everything you just said but wasn't he playing slot on his 2 catches? I think him and Patmon are different position WRs.

Something worth watching if colts did love him as much as rumored. It is weird they have given him no offensive help. Kevin Bowen says he still believed had rivers played one more year Fields would have been a colt because they never would of went after Carson.

Interesting. I would say that would be a sneaky Ballard move if Fields were to come available for say a 2nd round pick. If the Colts go the draft route for their longterm QB, I think 2023 needs to be the year to do it. I have heard the 2024 draft isn't the greatest QB class, maybe not as bad as 2022, but lackluster nonetheless. I would rather them get their longterm guy to sit and learn for a year or so until he is fully ready to take the league by storm, than to wait too long and Ryan isn't around to mentor him in his transition to the NFL speed.

Something worth watching if colts did love him as much as rumored. It is weird they have given him no offensive help. Kevin Bowen says he still believed had rivers played one more year Fields would have been a colt because they never would of went after Carson.

Before we did the Ryan deal, Irsay said we tried to do a deal with a team for their quarterback and we offered TWO 1’s, but were turned down. 

I feel confident that the player we tried for was Fields.   No other player makes more sense.   And Ballard has a very good relationship with Chicago.  Flus got the HC job in part due to CB’s recommendation.   A franchise changing its GM and HC sometimes wants a QB they chose.  Fields was drafted by the prior management group. 

Fields will likely always be on our radar unless he flops badly….  

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Interesting. I would say that would be a sneaky Ballard move if Fields were to come available for say a 2nd round pick. If the Colts go the draft route for their longterm QB, I think 2023 needs to be the year to do it. I have heard the 2024 draft isn't the greatest QB class, maybe not as bad as 2022, but lackluster nonetheless. I would rather them get their longterm guy to sit and learn for a year or so until he is fully ready to take the league by storm, than to wait too long and Ryan isn't around to mentor him in his transition to the NFL speed.

He would have to sit a year behind Ryan but it could be a good learning experience. He has the fifth year option so we would have him fit two years before having to extend him. 

1 minute ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Just cant see Fields being worth 2 firsts.  There was also talk about Carr and Murry at the time too, them I could see 2 firsts offer.

Carr, yes.   I’ll give you that one.  

But I don’t think Murray is a Frank-type of quarterback….  5’10” and his scrambling style.   And I don’t think he’s a Ballard type of person.   Murray appears often unreliable and unstable…. Way too emotional, not a great team leader.   Not a good fit for Indy. 

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Eberflus and the new GM aren’t starting off well if that happens. Getting rid of Mack and not getting fields help with pass catchers then trading him would be a disaster. 

They’re not talking about trading him TODAY.  Teams are talking about keeping an eye on the situation over the next 10 months.  What happens if Chicago has a terrible season?   What happens if Fields doesn’t improve all that much?    

People are talking about 2023.   That’s when a change could happen. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Any look at Fields will obviously compare his NFL and college tape to the 2023 candidates.  He's not going to automatically be a better prospect because he was rated highly in 2021.  Also, its not like CHI is a bunch of maroons, they have evaluators on the payroll too.  And Fields did drop from his original media projections, so there may be some real issues if CHI actually does make him available.

12 hours ago, Matabix said:

I agree with everything you just said but wasn't he playing slot on his 2 catches? I think him and Patmon are different position WRs.

Both are X or big/bully slot type. Strachan is more of traditional X. Patmon is likely more of a flex. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Any look at Fields will obviously compare his NFL and college tape to the 2023 candidates.  He's not going to automatically be a better prospect because he was rated highly in 2021.  Also, its not like CHI is a bunch of maroons, they have evaluators on the payroll too.  And Fields did drop from his original media projections, so there may be some real issues if CHI actually does make him available.

Probably would be cheaper and easier to trade for Fields if they feel the other prospects are equal. Because we would have to trade up significantly in the draft.

Putting aside the fact this Fields thing is coming from someone completely random on twitter and isn’t being reported anywhere else (signs you should be pretty skeptical about believing it to start with) people are over looking that it’s not saying the Bears are for sure going to trade him.  If he does well they won’t trade him.  If he struggles the odds are the Colts would be much more likely to invest in a rookie who doesn’t have two years under his belt than take a flyer on a guy a team is giving up on after two years because he struggled.  

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Putting aside the fact this Fields thing is coming from someone completely random on twitter and isn’t being reported anywhere else (signs you should be pretty skeptical about believing it to start with) people are over looking that it’s not saying the Bears are for sure going to trade him.  If he does well they won’t trade him.  If he struggles the odds are the Colts would be much more likely to invest in a rookie who doesn’t have two years under his belt than take a flyer on a guy a team is giving up on after two years because he struggled.  

The fact Rashad was correct about everything he reported this off season there is probably truth. All he is saying is some teams are keeping a eye on it because they don’t think Chicago is all in on Fields.

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Eberflus got rid of Fields the fans in Chicago would be ready to run his regime out of town.

It would be a total bears thing to do. Finally getting A QB then doing that. Unless they turned around and made a huge trade for a vet. Maybe someone in the class of Wilson is available. I am shocked they didn’t get him any weapons in the draft.

58 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The fact Rashad was correct about everything he reported this off season there is probably truth. All he is saying is some teams are keeping a eye on it because they don’t think Chicago is all in on Fields.

Also his brother is the the DL coach for Rams. He has connections.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

If Eberflus got rid of Fields the fans in Chicago would be ready to run his regime out of town.

My cousin is a huge Bears fans, and runs with Bears fans (even though he lives in Indy). He said a lot of Bears fans are very luke warm on Fields. A lot like him too, but it's not as pro-Fields as you might think. 

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My cousin is a huge Bears fans, and runs with Bears fans (even though he lives in Indy). He said a lot of Bears fans are very luke warm on Fields. A lot like him too, but it's not as pro-Fields as you might think. 

Yea. Not a Fields fan either 

Until it’s reported by someone who is legit I am calling hogwash.  He’s a random guy on twitter trying to make a name for himself by throwing stuff up there and see what sticks by saying vague stuff like this that he can just say oh they changed their mind if it doesn’t happen.  If you want to believe it fine but buyer beware.

If this were really going on it’s a huge story and national media would be all over it speculating like crazy like they do on any of this stuff.  Until that happens I am not buying it.

16 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Yea. Not a Fields fan either 

He was a very good college QB, but he was also surrounded by one of the best supporting casts in CFB. Very heavy handed scheme (passing), and A+ WRs and OL. He can definitely run for a QB, just not sure he'll ever be a well rounded passer.

Folks are questioning the Bear's supporting cast, but it's not as bad as some think. They have a great RB. And at WR, Mooney came out of no where and had 1000+ yards last season. Pringle was a solid pickup and should be good for 600+. I think Jones (rook from TN) will translate well. He had some key TDs in big games.

They lack a true X type IMO, but Kmet at TE should be a stud, and ease things a bit if they don't have a big X. Also, St Brown might emerge at X (he's 6-5ish) since he's no longer behind Lazzard in GB. 

Colts waive undrafted RB Max Borghi to make room for Phillip Lindsay. While it seems Lindsay has lost some of his early form, it was just a couple years ago that Lindsay produced back-to-back 1,000+ yard seasons. He might be a bit of an insurance policy like Mack was last year in case Taylor would get banged up and have to miss a few games. This makes sense if they are planning to use Hines more in the passing game.

Archived