Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After the Draft: What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

42 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Home primetime game vs Carson Wentz and the Commanders, and a home primetime game vs Mahomes and the Chiefs. That is exactly how I anticipate it will happen.

2 other primetime games will be a road MNF game and a road TNF game.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Home primetime game vs Carson Wentz and the Commanders, and a home primetime game vs Mahomes and the Chiefs. That is exactly how I anticipate it will happen.

2 other primetime games will be a road MNF game and a road TNF game.

See the following posted by TaylorTheStudMuffin.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Man if these are right we are going to play all those AFC West teams early in the season.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hope Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Justin Herbert and Derek Carr are all slow starters next coming season :) 

Will be a very strong test right out the gate if this holds true. And further proof that whoever creates our schedules is a Titans and Patriots fan

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I have no idea if this is legit.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Man I hope that’s true. 

I will say there are many things similar linking him to the Commanders to so we will see. 

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he signs, we are loaded on paper as a team. I still want 1 more WR, that would be the Cherry on top of the Sundae. 

Would also mean Jim Irsay sent the "ALL IN" memo to Chris Ballard as a reminder after the draft. :)  j/k

I watched video highlights last night of Colts 3rd-round draft pick Jelani Woods from Virginia. Here are my takeaways. I can understand why the Colts are eager to get this guy integrated into their offense. Woods has deceptive speed for a 6'7" Tight End. He doesn't appear to be super fast on film but somehow seems to get open on a regular basis. I realize that NFL defensive players are often faster so it will be interesting to see if Woods can continue to get open on the NFL level. Being a former QB himself, it appears as if Woods is doing a good job reading the defenses before the snap, and finding seams that he can exploit with his routes.

It is no wonder that Woods was one of the favorite targets of the Virginia QB as he seemed to be under duress a lot. Even when Woods was not open yet and the QB needed to get rid of the ball early, Woods would essentially box out his defender and make the grab. At times Woods seems to get bounced around a little with his long, thin, frame, but other times you can see the defensive backs having difficulty engaging his 6'7" frame leading to extra yards after the catch. 

As I was watching Woods my original thoughts were that he would be a beast posting up defenders on the goal line. Surprisingly, a few of Woods' eight touchdowns came where he caught the ball shy of the goal line and powered his way through defenders into the end zone. On most of his other TD's he showed a knack for getting behind the defense and catching touchdowns over the top. Ballard was gushing about his athletic ability and his willingness and ability to block as well. Woods is definitely a guy to keep an eye on in preseason workouts and training camp.

3 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I watched video highlights last night of Colts 3rd-round draft pick Jelani Woods from Virginia. Here are my takeaways. I can understand why the Colts are eager to get this guy integrated into their offense. Woods has deceptive speed for a 6'7" Tight End. He doesn't appear to be super fast on film but somehow seems to get open on a regular basis. I realize that NFL defensive players are often faster so it will be interesting to see if Woods can continue to get open on the NFL level. Being a former QB himself, it appears as if Woods is doing a good job reading the defenses before the snap, and finding seems that he can exploit with his routes.

It is no wonder that Woods was one of the favorite targets of the Virginia QB as he seemed to be under duress a lot. Even when Woods was not open yet and the QB needed to get rid of the ball early, Woods would essentially box out his defender and make the grab. At times Woods seems to get bounced around a little with his long, thin, frame, but other times you can see the defensive backs having difficulty engaging his 6'7" frame leading to extra yards after the catch. 

As I was watching Woods my original thoughts were that he would be a beast posting up defenders on the goal line. Surprisingly, a few of Woods' eight touchdown came where he caught the ball shy of the goal line and powered his way through defenders into the end zone. On most of his other TD's he showed a knack for getting behind the defense and catching touchdowns over the top. Ballard was gushing about his athletic ability and his willingness and ability to block as well. Woods is definitely a guy to keep an eye on in preseason workouts and training camp.

Seam routes to Tony Gonzalez were plenty, throws to Kyle Pitts in space, Matt Ryan should be able to throw it back shoulder or up there where only Woods can grab it or Reich can scheme him in space, I can see it coming from afar. Excited!!! MAC can serve his in-line purpose still with the element of red zone surprise. I still loved that multiple crossing route play that got MAC open vs the Bears for a TD designed on the first drive by Reich :thmup:

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Seam routes to Tony Gonzalez were plenty, throws to Kyle Pitts in space, Matt Ryan should be able to throw it back shoulder or up there where only Woods can grab it or Reich can scheme him in space, I can see it coming from afar. Excited!!! MAC can serve his in-line purpose still with the element of red zone surprise. I still loved that multiple crossing route play that got MAC open vs the Bears for a TD designed on the first drive by Reich :thmup:

Like I mentioned, I was surprised at how often Woods seemed to be open on his catches, I guess that is what you see when you only watch highlights, but I will be curious to see if he can duplicate this ability to get open on the next level.

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Tony Gonzalez was a HOF TE at that point...and Pitts was a top 5 pick who might end up being the best ever.

I would definitely temper expectations for a rookie TE. I think Woods is MAC's backup and Granson will be the one utilized more in the passing game, probably similar to the Trey Burton role.

List of Tryouts for Rookie Minicamp: Notable local athletes include WR Anthrop from Purdue and Ball State QB Drew Pitt.

Jackson Anthrop, WR Purdue

Grayson Atkins, PK North Carolina

Caleb Carter, LB Southern

Isaiah Chambers, Edge McNeese State

Cedrick Cunningham Jr., DB Army

Chris Glaser, OG Virginia

Lukas Havrisik, PK Arizona

Evan Holm, CB North Dakota

MJ Dumas, OL Villanova

Grant Dixon, LB Youngstown State

David Kroll, OL Delaware

Jah-Maine Martin, RB North Carolina A&T

Beau Morris, OL SMU

Lucky Oyovwi, Edge Charleston

Drew Pitt, QB Ball State

Race Porter, P Washington

Seth Small, PK Texas A&M

Tim Wilson Jr., WR Southeastern Louisiana

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would definitely temper expectations for a rookie TE. I think Woods is MAC's backup and Granson will be the one utilized more in the passing game, probably similar to the Trey Burton role.

I agree.  But I do expect to see Woods on the field a lot this year.

59 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I watched video highlights last night of Colts 3rd-round draft pick Jelani Woods from Virginia. Here are my takeaways. I can understand why the Colts are eager to get this guy integrated into their offense. Woods has deceptive speed for a 6'7" Tight End. He doesn't appear to be super fast on film but somehow seems to get open on a regular basis. I realize that NFL defensive players are often faster so it will be interesting to see if Woods can continue to get open on the NFL level. Being a former QB himself, it appears as if Woods is doing a good job reading the defenses before the snap, and finding seams that he can exploit with his routes.

As I was watching Woods my original thoughts were that he would be a beast posting up defenders on the goal line. Surprisingly, a few of Woods' eight touchdowns came where he caught the ball shy of the goal line and powered his way through defenders into the end zone. On most of his other TD's he showed a knack for getting behind the defense and catching touchdowns over the top. Ballard was gushing about his athletic ability and his willingness and ability to block as well. Woods is definitely a guy to keep an eye on in preseason workouts and training camp.

Appreciate the thoughts. I recently watched a bit of him as well. 

Woods has monster length, which will really help him makes catches that other can't. And create mismatches against even LBs.

But I did notice he doesn't have huge mitts like MAC does. I think you can see he's still learning to catch the ball at times, which led to some bobbles. Of course that will play a big part in how much he is used early on. 

I will say it...but I question the overall athleticism when watching him. The hype from his RAS score is really just based on him being a tall guy who ran a really fast 40 in shorts. I question that speed on tape...and I really question the agility. Hard to expect great agility from a player that size, but there is probably a reason he didn't do any of those tests.

As you mentioned, his frame is a bit slender, so I think he will have to bulk up his lower body in the NFL.

Ultimately, I see a raw H/W/S guy, who is fairly similar to MAC. So I envision Woods in a similar role as MAC (until this year anyways), while he continues to develop, with Granson more of an H-back and bully slot.

The Colts liked him more than any other TE (except maybe McBride) in a pretty deep class, so time will tell.

42 minutes ago, Archer said:

I agree.  But I do expect to see Woods on the field a lot this year.

I think he will play more than Granson did as as rookie, but I don't envision him stepping in and taking most of Doyle's snaps. It's just not typical for a rookie TE to play a lot, unless they are an elite prospect or very polished players in all facets of the position.

But Woods is the first TE they have drafted, so perhaps it will be different. 

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think maybe this one happening is more likely than a Bradberry signing.

The Colts could easily sign both players.  Jones would be inexpensive and the easier signing but I would rather sign Bradberry given a choice.  Biggest return on investment for sure.  Can’t have enough good corners in this passing league.   Too many good QB’s out there.

Archived