Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Jelani Woods at 73

tvturner

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

MAC will actually have to look up to him!   Great blocker who can move.  

Ballard is filling holes tonight.   

Above average blocker at best, if he was a “great” blocker he would have went higher. Filling holes is what you’re supposed to do in the offense. Put down the kool-aid and go to sleep.

We just put the Ebron back in the offense! Except Woods is way more willing to block than Ebron ever was. This kid shoves people even during pass plays.  Hes not scared of contact at all. His blocking can be improved almost for certain.

My favorite pick. Was on him since the East-West Shrine game. The broadcast began with them talking about how much Brady loved him.  

Matt Ryan loves him some TE’s.  Gonzalez, Hooper, and Pitts thrived with Ryan. Hooper’s stats dropped tremendously when he left Ryan. 

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

We just put the Ebron back in the offense! Except Woods is way more willing to block than Ebron ever was. This kid shoves people even during pass plays.  Hes not scared of contact at all. His blocking can be improved almost for certain.

And he has better hands than Ebron. 

4 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

MAC is no where near the athlete Woods is. Although I see the similarities. I don't actually think he's all that raw in the passing game, blocking he could improve, which he's already stated he's aware of.

As for Granson, I do think they like him still, didn't use him much last year. They won't give up on him after 1 year of Carson behind the wheel.

I will have to wait for the Madden ratings to be sure of that. haha

Looks like a freak. But with tight ends like that, the question is always how often can you get them the ball. Mo always looks dangerous, bigger than other guys, like he should get the ball more and dominate, yet he doesn't. He's a better athlete than Mo, can we use this guy better? Can he get open in the middle of the field and make catches in traffic or will he just be this glorified red zone/jump ball guy? Questions to answer. 

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

The last time we let a long tenured fan favorite go (Edge) we went on to win the Super Bowl the next year.  Shame we had to sacrifice Edge for the Chip…. But he got an honorary ring.  TY is the sacrifice this year.  He’ll get an honorary ring like Edge after we win it the Super Bowl next year.

Not entirely true. 

we let Freeney go, didn’t win the super bowl

same with Reggie Wayne, can’t get any more fan favorite than him, no ring

we let Bethea, Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, all go, no ring.

9 hours ago, tvturner said:

Freak.

Just for giggles I found Gronk's RAS score for comparison.

Rob Gronkowski RAS

Overall 9.31

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 258 lbs

Bench: 23

Vertical: 33.5"

Broad: 9'11"

40 Yard Dash: 4.68 sec

20 Split: 2.68 sec

10 Split: 1.58 sec

Shuttle: 4.47 sec

3-Cone: 7.18

Jelani Woods measures as a better Gronk in every category.

7 hours ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Above average blocker at best, if he was a “great” blocker he would have went higher. Filling holes is what you’re supposed to do in the offense. Put down the kool-aid and go to sleep.

Thank you, but I don’t need anyone instructing me on what to drink or when to go to bed.  

But I could use some help on how to put someone on the “ignore” list so I don’t have to read their posts anymore.  

Can anyone help me with that?   

I thought they'd be more interested in Cade Otton or McBride or even Jake Ferguson, but that 10 RAS is hard to ignore if the theme of your draft is picking explosion. Jelani can block. Spent his time at Ok St almost exclusively blocking, then transfers to the Cavaliers and shows that his hands and route running are not a joke. Didnt have him on my board, but absolutely get on board with this pick

This pick truly excites me. I really didn’t know much about him, but the more I study up on him, the more excited I am getting. 

Of course he will have some aspects of his game to polish up, but all rookies do. This guy’s athleticism is no joke. I mean, based on the RAS alone, his measurables are literally unparalleled. 

I really hope Woods can contribute right out of the gate. I have little doubt Matty Ice will have any trouble feeding a 6’ 7” TE! Heck, let the guy lineup outside as a WR and I’ll be happy with it. Can’t wait to see what this kid can do!

10 hours ago, k9copinmd said:

As a long time UVA fan I was hoping he would end up with the Colts. This dude is a beast. Awesome pick!

K9 please help fill in the blanks for me. Awesome height/weight/speed numbers. Great senior year with 44 catches. What are the trouble areas that drove him down to the 3rd round? He transferred from OK State what was the driver for that(lack of playing time, dispute with coaches, etc)?

15 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Great pick. 

Regardless of this dudes size, he is a much better receiver than blocker at this point..... but what a package of traits.

He can really run for a man that size and he has a great deal of upside. 

Cox, Woods and Granson have a chance to be a very good group.

if they play up to the hype it might save ballards job

2 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

Welcome to the Colts Mr Woods !!

I found it amusing that all of the players that the pundits were directly tying to the Colts - weren't selected by the Colts at all.

I wish I could have a job where I got paid $$$ to write nonsense and be wrong.

maybe with ballards poor record at wr, te, and de he should let the pundits pick for him

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Those breaks in his cuts are wicked fast for his size. Damn....

That’s what I’m saying. This kid looks like a flat out beast in the making. Given Ryan’s history of elevating TE play, the sky is the limit for Woods! Really excited about him!

4 hours ago, ColtV said:

K9 please help fill in the blanks for me. Awesome height/weight/speed numbers. Great senior year with 44 catches. What are the trouble areas that drove him down to the 3rd round? He transferred from OK State what was the driver for that(lack of playing time, dispute with coaches, etc)?

He came to UVA as a graduate student. So he was only eligible at UVA for one year. So there were no issues that led him to leave OK State.

As far as what are the trouble areas that drove him to the 3rd I know of none. I feel he will need to work on his blocking to adjust to the pro level but he wasn't a bad blocker at UVA. He is extremely athletic, He has a knack for getting open and coming up with big plays when needed. He led the ACC and was 4th in the country in TD's by a TE with 8. His 598 receiving yards also led the ACC.

It may take him a year to get adjusted but IMO he is gonna surprise a lot of people at the pro level.

Another perspective I like about Woods besides his high end size/speed combination, prior history as a QB which usually translates to good hands.  Is the that his is coming out of the Univ of Virginia which IMHO, is Tight End U, producing quality TE's in the NFL for the past decade or so.

1 minute ago, QuantumZebra said:

That's wild. Matt is a killer when throwing to his TEs too. Most of the Falcons TDs came from slants in the redzone to TE or slot WR. 

Completely agree. This pick gets me the most excited for the potential upside of any of our selections so far! 

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

Not entirely true. 

we let Freeney go, didn’t win the super bowl

same with Reggie Wayne, can’t get any more fan favorite than him, no ring

we let Bethea, Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, all go, no ring.

But those guys already had a ring with us.  I’m talking being with us for like a decade and never getting a ring.  Then the very next year we let you go we win it all with your rookie replacement.  That’s Edge & Addai.  TY & Pierce would mirror those rolls if we go on to win the championship without Hilton this season.  I think Irsay would still give him a ring.  The only other recent candidate that I can think of that matches the situation would’ve been Costanzo.  But he retired and wasn’t let go. 

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

But those guys already had a ring with us.  I’m talking being with us for like a decade and never getting a ring.  Then the very next year we let you go we win it all with your rookie replacement.  That’s Edge & Addai.  TY & Pierce would mirror those rolls if we go on to win the championship without Hilton this season.  I think Irsay would still give him a ring.  The only other recent candidate that I can think of that matches the situation would’ve been Costanzo.  But he retired and wasn’t let go. 

Fair enough

On 4/29/2022 at 9:09 PM, EastStreet said:

IMO, good project type of TE. 

He's very similar to MAC. so not sure I get it. 

I would have projected him in the 4th round. 

I expected more a a "move" TE, but I guess they are still high on Granson. 

MAC came in as a hooper. This dude is a football player already. He can dominate in ways Mo just hasn't ever been able to. We can flog Wentz all we want but last year Mo let him down in several games. Mo can do magic but there's a lot he is still learning. Woods doesnt have that issue. He's coming in from day 1 ready to dominate and create instantly felt mismatches. 

This guy wasnt my TE1 but looking at the athletic profile and understanding the idea of what this team wants their TEs to do to defenses, and how they want to play. Yeah Jelani fits the bill, and if Mo isnt careful, one of these rookies will take his job in those formations. 

Granson is a different part of the puzzle, i don't think what they're doing with him will determine greatly how they handle these much bigger dudes.

This is a solid pick.

Projecting his season is tough. There's only one football and the odds that he goes into multiple games as Option 1 are low so if he has a season with 40 catches, i'll be surprised. This is a weapon though. He's a weapon in a way MAC just hasn't been. The kind that'll force Defensive coordinators to gameplan seriously and open up other guys. MAC had that potential but lets face it, DCs don't gameplan for him, not that we've ever seen, and that isnt because Frank hasn't given him chances.

23 hours ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Context is what i'll provide here.

He spent most of his collegiate career at Oklahoma State and was mainly a blocker (note for all those saying he cant block). Then he transferred to Wirginia because he wanted to show his catch ability and felt that offense would do it better. The dude wanted to show out. Then at Virginia, he had some injury issues but when he played, defenses could not play him. 

So this talk of average blocking sounds like hokey....he spent 75% of his college gamete doing exactly that. He wasnt TE1 because McBride had more tape of him doing multiple things over the course of a longer time period. 

Blocking at the pro level is another animal but that is true for every rookie TE. This kid has a better athletic profile than Kyle Pitts coming in, and has spent a chunk of his play blocking. Lets see how this shakes out. He is going to make teams respect him.

Archived