Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Jelani Woods at 73

tvturner

11 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

MAC came in as a hooper. This dude is a football player already. He can dominate in ways Mo just hasn't ever been able to. We can flog Wentz all we want but last year Mo let him down in several games. Mo can do magic but there's a lot he is still learning. Woods doesnt have that issue. He's coming in from day 1 ready to dominate and create instantly felt mismatches. 

This guy wasnt my TE1 but looking at the athletic profile and understanding the idea of what this team wants their TEs to do to defenses, and how they want to play. Yeah Jelani fits the bill, and if Mo isnt careful, one of these rookies will take his job in those formations. 

Granson is a different part of the puzzle, i don't think what they're doing with him will determine greatly how they handle these much bigger dudes.

This is a solid pick.

Projecting his season is tough. There's only one football and the odds that he goes into multiple games as Option 1 are low so if he has a season with 40 catches, i'll be surprised. This is a weapon though. He's a weapon in a way MAC just hasn't been. The kind that'll force Defensive coordinators to gameplan seriously and open up other guys. MAC had that potential but lets face it, DCs don't gameplan for him, not that we've ever seen, and that isnt because Frank hasn't given him chances.

Woods moves very much like a WR. After listening to his interview and now  accepting that he has a superbly high FB IQ, this guy is going to be a Pro Bowl TE  soon. 
 Doyle was bragged upon as a blocker, but he couldn't handle a high end DE. And Mo CAN'T either for very long. Woods looks fine to seal an edge and to take on anyone downfield. 
 Woods will tear zones apart and be Nasty in the red zone. We hit the Lottery!
Lining him up on the outside one on one with a corner. :spit:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Woods moves very much like a WR. After listening to his interview and now  accepting that he has a superbly high FB IQ, this guy is going to be a Pro Bowl TE  soon. 
 Doyle was bragged upon as a blocker, but he couldn't handle a high end DE. And Mo CAN'T either for very long. Woods looks fine to seal an edge and to take on anyone downfield. 

I cannot wait, I’ll be patient as tighte ends usually take a year or two to blossom but dude I’m hyped for this guy

On 5/1/2022 at 8:27 AM, throwing BBZ said:

He'll nudge them "out of the club".

If you want to see Jelani Woods block, go to Youtube and search for Oklahoma State offense in 2022. Chuba Hubbard and Teven Jenkins both were on that team, so there are cut-ups to be found. They started out some games in wishbone, and Woods was the upback. He was essentially a TE/FB hybrid inline blocker, and they sent him out on a handful of short routes per game.

This is impressive to me. He signed at OSU as a QB recruit, then converted to TE, then essentially was relegated to an extra blocker in a 70's style offense. He stuck it out and graduated at OSU, and then transferred to Virginia in 2021, and immediately became a weapon in the passing game. He also grew two inches and put on 40 pounds, but remains impressively athletic, while bringing an obvious physicality to the field. This transfer was an incredible decision on his part.

What you'll see on the OSU clips is a willing, active, aggressive blocker. He's often blocking DEs (some of them were smaller than he was, it will be different in the NFL). He gets in the act both straight up and on the move. His biggest issue is leverage, because he's basically built like a LT but trying to block like a FB. He has to bend and drive better, but this is not a question of ability, power, or willingness. It's all technique. And he's still showing up as a very capable blocker.

I really like this pick. He's an obvious matchup problem in the passing game, but he'll work just fine as a blocker. And now he gets to catch passes from the guy who came up throwing the ball to Tony Gonzalez. Very high upside with this one.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

If you want to see Jelani Woods block, go to Youtube and search for Oklahoma State offense in 2022. Chuba Hubbard and Teven Jenkins both were on that team, so there are cut-ups to be found. They started out some games in wishbone, and Woods was the upback. He was essentially a TE/FB hybrid inline blocker, and they sent him out on a handful of short routes per game.

This is impressive to me. He signed at OSU as a QB recruit, then converted to TE, then essentially was relegated to an extra blocker in a 70's style offense. He stuck it out and graduated at OSU, and then transferred to Virginia in 2021, and immediately became a weapon in the passing game. He also grew two inches and put on 40 pounds, but remains impressively athletic, while bringing an obvious physicality to the field. This transfer was an incredible decision on his part.

What you'll see on the OSU clips is a willing, active, aggressive blocker. He's often blocking DEs (some of them were smaller than he was, it will be different in the NFL). He gets in the act both straight up and on the move. His biggest issue is leverage, because he's basically built like a LT but trying to block like a FB. He has to bend and drive better, but this is not a question of ability, power, or willingness. It's all technique. And he's still showing up as a very capable blocker.

I really like this pick. He's an obvious matchup problem in the passing game, but he'll work just fine as a blocker. And now he gets to catch passes from the guy who came up throwing the ball to Tony Gonzalez. Very high upside with this one.

I think you meant film from 2020 and not 2022, but otherwise I agree with your post.  

On 4/29/2022 at 11:05 PM, Goatface Killah said:

I guess I view him as disappointing blocker, at this point. Hes not bad, but with that physical ability and size he should be elite.

I heard the Gronk stuff too. And yeah that would be something for sure.

At his size he is more like a stork. Elite? That is wacko. Gronk isn't elite at blocking!

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

At his size he is more like a stork. Elite? That is wacko. Gronk isn't elite at blocking!

Not sure I totally understand what youre getting at.

Yeah Gronk is obviously an elite blocking TE.

I just dont think Woods is near that level, yet. He didnt finish well enough on tape for me to give him that. He certainly has the tools to be every bit as good as he is tho. 

Not hating on the guy. I think hes gonna be fantastic, in time.

Imagine Jelani Woods in a big slot role, the opposing defense wouldn't know who to put on him. You put a LB and he has a huge advantage in the passing game, if they put a CB on him then just run the ball that way because he will destroy them.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:54 AM, Solid84 said:

Just for giggles I found Gronk's RAS score for comparison.

Rob Gronkowski RAS

Overall 9.31

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 258 lbs

Bench: 23

Vertical: 33.5"

Broad: 9'11"

40 Yard Dash: 4.68 sec

20 Split: 2.68 sec

10 Split: 1.58 sec

Shuttle: 4.47 sec

3-Cone: 7.18

Jelani Woods measures as a better Gronk in every category.

Gronk has him in 1 area tho. Hands. Woods 9.5"

Gronk 10.75"

On 5/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, jmac_48 said:

Truth is he started season at 268, but purposely lost weight to enhance agility, showed up at E-W Shrine game at 253

Good post!     :thmup:

And it would appear the Colts prefer him at the lighter weight.   There were positive comments about how much better he was moving at the lower weight.  

If we get anything out of him this year it will be a bonus. TE is the second hardest position to learn in football, which is why rookies so rarely flash. I'm hyped on the kid but I'm just being realistic. 30ish receptions for 300 yards and 3 TDs this year, breakout year 2.

46 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

If we get anything out of him this year it will be a bonus. TE is the second hardest position to learn in football, which is why rookies so rarely flash. I'm hyped on the kid but I'm just being realistic. 30ish receptions for 300 yards and 3 TDs this year, breakout year 2.

That would be a great season. It will be nice to have a couple of big bodies in the red zone who will almost always be open just by virtue of height and overall catch radius. Having three TE like Mo, Granson, and Woods will be a nice luxury. Hoping Woods can block for the run game also.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:49 PM, Colt.45 said:

MAC came in as a hooper. This dude is a football player already. He can dominate in ways Mo just hasn't ever been able to. We can flog Wentz all we want but last year Mo let him down in several games. Mo can do magic but there's a lot he is still learning. Woods doesnt have that issue. He's coming in from day 1 ready to dominate and create instantly felt mismatches. 

This guy wasnt my TE1 but looking at the athletic profile and understanding the idea of what this team wants their TEs to do to defenses, and how they want to play. Yeah Jelani fits the bill, and if Mo isnt careful, one of these rookies will take his job in those formations. 

Granson is a different part of the puzzle, i don't think what they're doing with him will determine greatly how they handle these much bigger dudes.

This is a solid pick.

Projecting his season is tough. There's only one football and the odds that he goes into multiple games as Option 1 are low so if he has a season with 40 catches, i'll be surprised. This is a weapon though. He's a weapon in a way MAC just hasn't been. The kind that'll force Defensive coordinators to gameplan seriously and open up other guys. MAC had that potential but lets face it, DCs don't gameplan for him, not that we've ever seen, and that isnt because Frank hasn't given him chances.

I like him as a prospect. Great upside. But I disagree with the bolded. Highly doubt he's dominating day 1 lol. I've watched his film. Some nice highlights, from highlight vids, but watching some full game shows the holes that all the profiles/reviews brought up. Folks call MAC "lumbering", and Woods is even more lumbering IMO. He also had hand issues (drops). The draft profiles said he's got hand issues both catching and blocking, but I really didn't spend time watching his blocking. In short, he was a mismatch in ACC, which is a pretty weak conference. While I think he's got great upside, he's taking a big step up, and he'll need time. Not saying we won't see him do some good things this season, but I think you're sunshine pumping a bit here.

As far as MAC is concerned, for the most part, I don't like Reich's use of MAC. Not a big fan of Reich's play calling, WR/TE use, route progressions, etc. in general. MAC has been great on second level+ routes (like sails), but we rarely see those. And not a lot of seam stuff either. Just a lot of short possession stuff. I'm guessing Woods' routes/usage will be similar, just less snaps, especially if he can't improve blocking.

As far as DCs game planning for Reich.... lol.. We're overly short and conservative. It's rare a DC respects us on the back end. They really only have to defend 0-15.... So it's not MAC DCs aren't worried about. They haven't been worried about our passing game 3 years now. 

Archived