Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Strachan

JediXMan

I don’t have a clue on what he needs to improve upon.  My guess would be route running but we really didn’t see him play.  The fact remains he was a 7th round pick who made the roster but didn’t play much in a weak WR room.  He apparently didn’t improve enough during the season to get activated.  For me he’s a long shot.  I’m more looking forward to the potential WR additions we bring in this year.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t have a clue on what he needs to improve upon.  My guess would be route running but we really didn’t see him play.  The fact remains he was a 7th round pick who made the roster but didn’t play much in a weak WR room.  He apparently didn’t improve enough during the season to get activated.  For me he’s a long shot.  I’m more looking forward to the potential WR additions we bring in this year.

I don't think its black and white. Our staff has been very clear in stating if you aren't a starter in the WR room, you better be able to contribute on special teams. He's not good on special teams. Thats why he was scratched. Same with Patmon for alot of the time. 

Agree or disagree with the philosophy thats how they like it.

2 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I don't think its black and white. Our staff has been very clear in stating if you aren't a starter in the WR room, you better be able to contribute on special teams. He's not good on special teams. Thats why he was scratched. Same with Patmon for alot of the time. 

Yup, its a shame too because I really liked what he brought even in the first game but the staff can be very kind of stuck in their way. He plays the same type of WR as MPJ and he had a healthy year this year so there wasnt very much time for him to play.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard needs to get off his train of thought with trying to develop late round WR. We need help now. Not 3 years from now. We had two WR sitting on the bench basically used as bench warmers. Either use them or cut them and bring someone on who can actually contribute.

Yeah I wish he had drafted two WRs in the second round the two years before that.  Oh wait…

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I wish he had drafted two WRs in the second round the two years before that.  Oh wait…

You're using hindsight with Pittman for one. At that point, he had a decent rookie year, but that was it, and he barely got over 1,000 yards in his 2nd year with a 17 game season. As far as Campbell goes, he had injuries his first two years, and no one knows or still knows how he'll do when healthy. Not saying we should of drafted a WR early in 2021, but we definitely should of signed a big name WR in FA and not Hilton back, which Ballard left hanging and Irsay forced him to re-sign. 

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Bengals had Higgins drafted in Round 2 the previous year and they had Boyd, still they drafted Ja'Marr Chase.

Cowboys had Michael Gallup and Amari Cooper, still they drafted CeeDee Lamb.

Rams had Kupp, Woods and had drafted Van Jefferson. Still they went after OBJ. Ironically Woods went down on IR after the OBJ signing.

Bucs had Evans and Godwin, still they went after O J Howard in Round 1 (before they knew Brady would bring Gronk and AB).

Chiefs had Hill and Kelce, still went after Clyde Edwards Helaire in Round 1. Granted, the last 2 did not pan out like the teams expected but they did swing at it.

Teams are constantly adding to their offensive cupboard, not just settling and being happy with what they have knowing that they will have the depth to replace aging veterans and/or injured starters. That is what it takes to win in this offense happy league, IMO. Clearly Ballard has not done enough. 

44 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Agree with you and them.  One only has to look at the Packers to see how important ST's can be.  Ours were very good.

Some of that is probably the same reason that Mack was scratched most of the end of the season.

41 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

The same for Marlon Mack as well.  He couldn’t play special teams either and was a healthy scratch.  If you’re at the back end of your position group you need to play special teams.  Mack is gone and Strachan could be in trouble as well.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Bengals had Higgins drafted in Round 2 the previous year and they had Boyd, still they drafted Ja'Marr Chase.

Rams had Kupp, Woods and had drafted Van Jefferson. Still they went after OBJ. Ironically Woods went down on IR after the OBJ signing.

Bucs had Evans and Godwin, still they went after O J Howard in Round 1 (before they knew Brady would bring Gronk and AB).

Chiefs had Hill and Kelce, still went after Clyde Edwards Helaire in Round 1. Granted, the last 2 did not pan out like the teams expected but they did swing at it.

Teams are constantly adding to their offensive cupboard, not just settling and being happy with what they have knowing that they will have the depth to replace aging veterans and/or injured starters. That is what it takes to win in this offense happy league, IMO. Clearly Ballard has not done enough. 

Or Ballard got one of his picks wrong.  That’s the bigger issue.  I am mostly objecting to the idea some are suggesting that he’s only drafting late round guys and depending on them to develop.  That’s simply not true.  The biggest problem at the WR spot is that Campbell has been a bust.  If the Colts had taken Brown in that same class they took Campbell and turned around and took Pittman the following year no one would be saying a word about WR.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or Ballard got one of his picks wrong.  That’s the bigger issue.  I am mostly objecting to the idea some are suggesting that he’s only drafting late round guys and depending on them to develop.  That’s simply not true.  The biggest problem at the WR spot is that Campbell has been a bust.  If the Colts had taken Brown in that same class they took Campbell and turned around and took Pittman the following year no one would be saying a word about WR.  

Maybe, maybe not. IMO, we still may of been complaining about depth (especially if one of them gets hurt). However, that didn't happen. Ballard only drafted two WRs early in 5 years. That means he has to hit on both of them. He only hit on one, and he never spent on one in FA besides Devin Funchess. So, there's definitely been a lack of effort, and things had to turn out perfectly for him to get away with it, and it hasn't. Which is why we kept Hilton so long.

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They got Harmond in KC pretty early in draft too.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Maybe, maybe not. IMO, we still may of been complaining about depth (especially if one of them gets hurt). However, that didn't happen. Ballard only drafted two WRs early in 5 years. That means he has to hit on both of them. He only hit on one, and he never spent on one in FA besides Devin Funchess. So, there's definitely been a lack of effort, and things had to turn out perfectly for him to get away with it, and it hasn't. Which is why we kept Hilton so long.

Because he inherited Hilton and expected free agents to hit that didn’t, he missed.  Drafting two high round draft picks one piston in five years is actually a lot of resources at that position.  To put it in perspective he’s spent as many high round picks on WR as he has on the oline and you need five of those vs three of the other.  

Also, you don’t draft “depth guys” in the first two rounds of the draft.  You draft guys you expect to start in the first two rounds.  You draft depth guys in the later rounds or find them as undrafted free agents like Pascal was.  So arguing that the starting WRs aren’t good enough because guys who were drafted to be depth guys aren’t starters while ignoring that the one of the guys they drafted to start and has been a bust like it just never happened is foolish.

The Colts have an issue at WR but it’s not because of guys taken in the late rounds to round out the roster and maybe strike gold on like they did with Garçon.  It’s because of the guys they counted on to be starters, Funchess, Campbell and TY (the last two years) have not worked out.  It’s also not like Ballard said man let’s depend on these two late round picks to be stars and that’s it.  He tried other things.  They haven’t worked.  That’s the problem and it’s perfectly fair to criticize him for those moves not working but let’s not pretend he’s only depended on late round picks. 

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He didn’t get Campbell wrong. His problem is after two years of injuries he went into campbells year 3 relying on him. You can’t rely on him anymore. You have to draft  or go into FA like he isn’t on the team.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

People probably would have been complaining about taking Pittman after taking Brown, to be honest. Just like when Grigson took Dorsett, after taking Moncrief. Because all anyone cares about is needs-based drafting.

The real problem, like you said, is whether you hit on your picks or not. So far, that's not looking good for Ballard at WR. I liked Brown and Campbell in the draft, and would have liked either of them. Campbell hasn't been able to stay healthy, while Brown is really good. (Brown went two picks after Banogu... yikes. DK Metcalf, who I didn't like, went five picks after Campbell, another yikes.)

And now, people are stalking Mike Strahan for some reason. And odds say that he won't be a significant contributor at any point, because that's what happens with 90% of 7th round draft picks.

Our answers at WR are most likely not on the roster right now.

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because he inherited Hilton and expected free agents to hit that didn’t, he missed.  Drafting two high round draft picks one piston in five years is actually a lot of resources at that position.  To put it in perspective he’s spent as many high round picks on WR as he has on the oline and you need five of those vs three of the other.  

Also, you don’t draft “depth guys” in the first two rounds of the draft.  You draft guys you expect to start in the first two rounds.  You draft depth guys in the later rounds or find them as undrafted free agents like Pascal was.  So arguing that the starting WRs aren’t good enough because guys who were drafted to be depth guys aren’t starters while ignoring that the one of the guys they drafted to start has been a bust like it just never happened is foolish.

The Colts have an issue at WR but it’s not because of guys taken in the late rounds to round out the roster and maybe strike gold on like they did with Garçon.  It’s because of the guys they counted on to be starters, Funchess, Campbell and TY (the last two years) have not worked out.  It’s also not like Ballard said man let’s depend on these two late round picks to be stars and that’s it.  He tried other things.  They haven’t worked.  That’s the problem and it’s perfectly fair to criticize him for those moves not working but let’s not pretend he’s only depended on late round picks. 

I never said the bolded. I said we would of still been complaining about depth (In your hypothetical, Pittman and Brown are the 1 and 2 in some order), so we would of had no depth after those two solid starting WRs.

What else has Ballard tried? We have had lots of day 2 picks in the last 5 years. 2021 was the first time we were really short on one because of the Wentz trade. Maybe draft a guy in 2017 instead of the terrible day 2 picks that year? Maybe sign a big FA WR in 2021 once you were relying on a 2nd year Pittman and an injured Campbell for two years as your possible top guys? We had Pascal, but he was always below average except for a few spurts. 

At least if you're going to draft these late round guys like Patmon and Strachan, start them sometimes. Especially when Pascal and Hilton are doo-doo. Same with Harris and Coutee. 

38 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not enough swings still, IMO. He realized he was wasting his time waiting on Turay, Lewis and Banogu to turn it up a notch, so he double dipped with Paye and Dayo. Hopefully he does the same on the WR front. His pass rush misses have had a ripple effect with picks that could have been used on other positions had they panned out. 2021 - instead of Dayo, he could still have gotten a skill position guy to help us with enough Campbell history to reflect on.

Like others said, the LT plan had to go perfectly, the limited swings on WR had to go perfectly and of all GMs, Ballard is smart enough to know no one bats 1.00

Reich said he wasnt ready. We all know that doesnt mean as an athlete. Its all upstairs and id say also his ability to get separation from the DB when hands are put on him. More savvy to his route running. I saw very early he didnt quite know what was going on just yet.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

People probably would have been complaining about taking Pittman after taking Brown, to be honest. Just like when Grigson took Dorsett, after taking Moncrief. Because all anyone cares about is needs-based drafting.

The real problem, like you said, is whether you hit on your picks or not. So far, that's not looking good for Ballard at WR. I liked Brown and Campbell in the draft, and would have liked either of them. Campbell hasn't been able to stay healthy, while Brown is really good. (Brown went two picks after Banogu... yikes. DK Metcalf, who I didn't like, went five picks after Campbell, another yikes.)

And now, people are stalking Mike Strahan for some reason. And odds say that he won't be a significant contributor at any point, because that's what happens with 90% of 7th round draft picks.

Yeah, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. The need-based drafting and being * off at a draft pick because he was this or that position. Be * off if he's a bad player/prospect, don't be * off that we didn't draft your position of choice. 

About Strahan... yeah... I got fooled by the pre-season. Well... either that or Reich was too conservative and put him in the dog house too early. :dunno: But I agree, the chance of him being anything but back end of the roster rotational player is not great to begin with. 

Maybe some of you forget that #87 wasn't very good as a rookie either  Give the kid a chance.  He knows what he has to work on.  In a pinch he could've played.   Give him and all these young guys a chance.    Same with Granson.  I think he is going to be pretty good sooner than later.    

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Just generally speaking here: It helps to remember that 30 other teams wish they'd drafted Brown too. There are more misses than hits out there in the early rounds for every team; its just that when you put all your eggs into the draft, and steadfastly ignore high end free agents, your hit rate had better be pretty high. When you miss as badly as the Colts did with Banogu and, apparently, Campbell, with future stars like Brown and Metcalf still there on the Board at the time, it stings. 

I don't believe the Colts can avoid dipping into the higher end free agent market this off season; they have glaring holes at WR and TE, and badly need another pass rushing DE. Counting on the draft to fill these holes means waiting once again for these players to develop over a few seasons, if they ever do. With an impatient and, frankly, very disappointed owner, Ballard needs to be more aggressive in building this team. I suspect it will begin with a couple of strong moves in free agency. 

35 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Maybe some of you forget that #87 wasn't very good as a rookie either  Give the kid a chance.  He knows what he has to work on.  In a pinch he could've played.   Give him and all these young guys a chance.    Same with Granson.  I think he is going to be pretty good sooner than later.    

He wasn’t a 7th round pick though.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Glad you get what I was saying.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He didn’t get Campbell wrong. His problem is after two years of injuries he went into campbells year 3 relying on him. You can’t rely on him anymore. You have to draft  or go into FA like he isn’t on the team.

We didn’t rely on Campbell.   We had Hilton and Pascal.    Hilton’s neck injury was not something anyone could see coming.  Fluke injury.   And no one saw the regression that Pascal suffered coming. 

Dulin's came from a small school as well and it took him a bit before the bulb came on this season. Not comparing body size or rule at all just the fact the level of adjustment for a WR moving that far up and seeing you can just go out and beat guys takes time. Strachan has an even higher ceiling but a lower floor because Dulin had the s.t. facet down right away.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Just generally speaking here: It helps to remember that 30 other teams wish they'd drafted Brown too. There are more misses than hits out there in the early rounds for every team; its just that when you put all your eggs into the draft, and steadfastly ignore high end free agents, your hit rate had better be pretty high. When you miss as badly as the Colts did with Banogu and, apparently, Campbell, with future stars like Brown and Metcalf still there on the Board at the time, it stings. 

I don't believe the Colts can avoid dipping into the higher end free agent market this off season; they have glaring holes at WR and TE, and badly need another pass rushing DE. Counting on the draft to fill these holes means waiting once again for these players to develop over a few seasons, if they ever do. With an impatient and, frankly, very disappointed owner, Ballard needs to be more aggressive in building this team. I suspect it will begin with a couple of strong moves in free agency. 

Speaking of Brown.   No wait I'm changing the subject.  RYS #34 in the 2019 draft. Deebo was 36     ouch 

“Just wasn’t ready. I think the one position that is hard when you come into the league is wideout because these corners are really good and then the defensive coordinators are really good at disguising the coverage. And in our offense the adjustments you have to make on the run, it was just all new to him. It’s always interesting in training camp with the young players, that they’ll start out really fast and then reality hits them of the daily work that has to be put in. They’re not used to the workload, they’re not used to the volume that they’re getting."  - Ballard

"We have a big install with these guys, and plays that he’s a little bit fuzzy on, he plays a little bit slower. That’s just going to pick up with more reps. Just his development as far as picking up – just learning the game. That’s the biggest thing for him. Learning the game, learning the techniques of the DBs." - Marcus Brady

"Special teams factors into that, versatility factors into that, what role we see them playing, how they complement those first four guys, in what role they would play." - Reich

He's a 7th round pick that this forum hyped up to be "MegaStrachan" because he was the yearly preseason standout receiver. He's got a LONG way to go before being an impact receiver on any NFL team, let alone the Colts. We're all obviously rooting for his development but expecting him to be an answer at WR is not the way to go

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Unless of course Brown kept getting hurt.  We’ll never know.

4 hours ago, tvturner said:

“Just wasn’t ready. I think the one position that is hard when you come into the league is wideout because these corners are really good and then the defensive coordinators are really good at disguising the coverage. And in our offense the adjustments you have to make on the run, it was just all new to him. It’s always interesting in training camp with the young players, that they’ll start out really fast and then reality hits them of the daily work that has to be put in. They’re not used to the workload, they’re not used to the volume that they’re getting."  - Ballard

"We have a big install with these guys, and plays that he’s a little bit fuzzy on, he plays a little bit slower. That’s just going to pick up with more reps. Just his development as far as picking up – just learning the game. That’s the biggest thing for him. Learning the game, learning the techniques of the DBs." - Marcus Brady

"Special teams factors into that, versatility factors into that, what role we see them playing, how they complement those first four guys, in what role they would play." - Reich

He's a 7th round pick that this forum hyped up to be "MegaStrachan" because he was the yearly preseason standout receiver. He's got a LONG way to go before being an impact receiver on any NFL team, let alone the Colts. We're all obviously rooting for his development but expecting him to be an answer at WR is not the way to go

Great quotes!  I agree, he’s a Colt, so we want him to succeed.  Then there was those 2 HUGE 3rd down pickups in the first game that drew my attention.

It is tough for most WR's in their first year to have an impact. Strachan is a 7th rounder and was not in  a Division 1  school. He is going to be raw and ti will take time to determine whether he is going to be a contributor. perhaps we see more of him in year 2. with that said, we will need to sign at least one FA WR and probably draft a WR. Hilton will retire. I doubt we resign Pascal. Pittman is our only truly consistent WR on the roster. Campbell would be fine if he could stay healthy.   The other WR;s are Patmon, Strachan and Dulin.  The wide out poison needs more talent. We also need a pass catching threat at TE.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:25 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I don't think our offensive passing attack should have depended on getting both 2nd round wr picks right in 5 years. 

There should have been much more attention paid to and resources spent on the position along with TE.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, JediXMan said:

What does he need to improve on to become a contributor next season and do you think he can do it?

I'd say his biggest barrier to PT is simply position. He's a prototypical X WR, and we 1) have Pitt at X, and 2) X WRs don't typically contribute a lot on STs. 

It would be happy to see him get minutes at X, and Pitt get time at slot. That's the only way I envision him becoming a big part of the O. That is, unless we change scheme, and go Two Towers on the outside lol... He's a full 6-5+ if his pro day measurements are correct, so they could also use him as TE-lite if he can block. 

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd say his biggest barrier to PT is simply position. He's a prototypical X WR, and we 1) have Pitt at X, and 2) X WRs don't typically contribute a lot on STs. 

It would be happy to see him get minutes at X, and Pitt get time at slot. That's the only way I envision him becoming a big part of the O. That is, unless we change scheme, and go Two Towers on the outside lol... He's a full 6-5+ if his pro day measurements are correct, so they could also use him as TE-lite if he can block. 

Hopefully he improves to the point where he’s at least a decent weapon near or at the RZ. Really rooting for the kid I’m a sucker for late round picks making a impact on the team. 

Archived