Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DT

Patrick Miller

26 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We did draft Dayo. Those two on the inside together should be better next year. Dayo is going to be better on the inside then edge.

Dayo isnt big enough for early downs to play on the inside, next to Buckner

On 2 and long and 3rd an long, I think you will see Dayo inside next to Buckner, or at least rotating in

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Huh. Do you know how big he is. He is as big as Buckner.

Um, no. Dayo is listed at 6'6 and 276 lbs. Defo is listed at 6'7 295 lbs.  

Dayo will be used the same way Autry was. On the end in short yardage/run downs and inside in obvious passing situations

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That isn’t that much smaller.

20 lbs lighter and only an inch shorter. That's significant enough that dayo will not be used as a full time dt. Like I said, he'll be used the same way Autry was

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We did draft Dayo. Those two on the inside together should be better next year. Dayo is going to be better on the inside then edge.

And Lewis will be back and plays inside too...we need a real FS more... the growth of Dayo and Paye and a healthy Lewis and Muhammed will be good... Ballard said delayed gratification we have to count on that to work financially. We need FS, WR, and maybe a TE if Doyle retires...

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

And Lewis will be back and plays inside too...we need a real FS more... the growth of Dayo and Paye and a healthy Lewis and Muhammed will be good... Ballard said delayed gratification we have to count on that to work financially. We need FS, WR, and maybe a TE if Doyle retires...

To tell you the truth if you can get a great pass rush the secondary to me is not that important. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

To tell you the truth if you can get a great pass rush the secondary to me is not that important. 

We don't need a lot of help, but having a FS with real coverage skills is important in our scheme. We had Bethea when Dungy ran this D... we have no Safeties capable of coverage and they all get burnt...Blackmon plays like an undersized SS..

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Sure but QB, LT, DE, WR are more concerning positions that need to be upgraded.

I think we need to give Dayo and Lewis a chance to prove themselves Ballard said it would take two seasons. And Dayo got half...If Lewis is healthy him Dayo, Turay, and Muhammed will be good...we do need another WR bad. FS is the QB of the secondary we would see big jumps in our D if we had a good one...

18 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Agree about FS

But... from the presser, CB stated that he doenst have enough DL.... To me, that is priority number 1

We need to PAY to get another, proven DE that can be a threat and have to be accounted for

The REST of the defense will play much better with more pressure

To me DE is priority number 1 for this team

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agree about FS

But... from the presser, CB stated that he doenst have enough DL.... To me, that is priority number 1

We need to PAY to get another, proven DE 

I wouldn't be against a good fair priced Vet to go opposite Paye... seems like he is saying his delayed gratification plan ain't gonna work... Ballard has hit a hiccup and is showing weaknesses finally...We better hope there's a cheap DE we can't afford a top dollar one with the other holes...He has pride issues when it comes to playing best player on team... He let Campbell get too many snaps and Strachan not enough. He should have gave Pryor the chance to start over Fisher but didn't because he had hope his signing would look foolish but it looks more foolish starting the failing player over the guy getting it done... 

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I wouldn't be against a good fair priced Vet to go opposite Paye... seems like he is saying his delayed gratification plan ain't gonna work... Ballard has hit a hiccup and is showing weaknesses finally...We better hope there's a cheap DE we can't afford a top dollar one with the other holes...

After watching the Rams & Bucs both BUY their team & play well, I think it sparks something inside Ballard to make more FA moves. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

After watching the ams & Bucs both BUY their team & play well, I think it sparks something inside Ballard to make more FA moves. 

We dont have a tremendous amount of cap, but I think we have enough to make ONE big move - DE

And maybe 2 small ones

I still dont know what to think about Fisher

The guy rushed back really soon. Who knows if the pass protect gets a bit better with a healthy Fisher

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Anyone else think that we need to upgrade at defensive tackle? In my opinion Grover Stewart is overrated/overpaid ......and D Buck can't do it all by himself. Perhaps we can pick up an upgrade in free agency?

It seems all Eberflis asks of Grov is to take on the double teams to stop the run. He is probably a little obove avg. at it.

Of course he Isn't Always double teamed.

The guy doesn't help pressuring the QB. Kind of pathetic at it really.

And he doesn't shed many blocks for run stuffs.

It is way above my pay grade to analyze why Leonard and Okereke was so totally ineffective at pressuring the QB on their 80 combined blitzes.

Safe to say our blitz packages, had poor results. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Anyone else think that we need to upgrade at defensive tackle? In my opinion Grover Stewart is overrated/overpaid ......and D Buck can't do it all by himself. Perhaps we can pick up an upgrade in free agency?

I have thought so all season.

Either a cheap run stuffer or draft an upgrade to play on a cheap rookie contract.  Grover is going to be a two down lineman, since Dayo should be taking over for him on passing downs...or nickle packages.  I'd prefer to have a true run stuffer there for the limited amount of snaps a player like that should be getting.

Grover is a Ballard over-buy.  I think he may be a candidate for contract restructure.

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We dont have a tremendous amount of cap, but I think we have enough to make ONE big move - DE

And maybe 2 small ones

The guy rushed back really soon. Who knows if the pass protect gets a bit better with a healthy Fisher

He is older and his pass pro was atrocious. If we don't trade Q to free up money we are going to have to resign Pryor. He did well knows the system and will be affordable... I'm sticking with signing a coverage FS would help the team overall the most. We get killed by getting burnt and lack a Safety or LBers that can cover TEs. We need a Marcus Williams or Tyran Mathieu type player to be the heart of the secondary... 

I think our DTs are fine. ALL of them. I think it might be one of the few positions we dont really have to worry about. If we find a guy in the draft who we cant pass up on then fine but as is, it's a solid unit. We need to worry about the Des not the DTs. The DTs can only give so much....if the ends are not living up to their part, then yeah you have Buck getting triple teamed to oblivion.

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

And maybe 2 small ones

I think we make a few moves honestly. 

1.) Sign Ertz or Schultz at TE

2.) Sign a vet pass rusher 

3.) veteran WR 

4.) veteran CB

5.) restructure Carson Wentz’s contract again to lower his cap hit 

21 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think we make a few moves honestly. 

1.) Sign Ertz or Schultz at TE

2.) Sign a vet pass rusher 

3.) veteran WR 

4.) veteran CB

5.) restructure Carson Wentz’s contract again to lower his cap hit 

I would like the first four lines, but dont believe that we have the cap to do so, unless the last 3 are bottom players

The DE MUST be able to be a reliable game wrecker. They are expensive

I also dont want to do anything that would extend the Carson situation unless he proves that he  is worth another contract

Carson is due the money, and we get put on the hook for future years. There is no motivation for Carson to lower the $$

at this point

I really like Ertz, but wonder if he is seeking a multi year deal that is prohibtive

Another case of a guy just wanting to change stuff for the heck of it just because he's mad the team didn't make the playoffs. We don't really need to change anything on the interior.  The problem was we had too many young guys at the DE spots and a vet or vets who Ballard and Eberflus thought would be an adquate replacement for Autry but they really were not. 

7 hours ago, J@son said:

Um, no. Dayo is listed at 6'6 and 276 lbs. Defo is listed at 6'7 295 lbs.  

Dayo will be used the same way Autry was. On the end in short yardage/run downs and inside in obvious passing situations

Both Autry and Dayo are big enough to play full time 3T if they fit the D. But both have ideal tweener characteristics, so you'd want to take advantage of that. Defo is simply a very large man lol.. He's much bigger than Aaron Donald for instance. Defo has 6 inches and 10+ pounds on him. Auty, this year, I think might be bigger than Donald.

8 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Grover's contract isn't exactly huge, but I agree he's probably overpaid a bit given what our scheme asks. Our NT though isn't really a position our scheme expects a lot of sacks from. We expect NT to push the C back, and to stuff gaps. Grover does a pretty good job of doing that. Our sacks are supposed to come from 3T and DEs. Grover would likely get more pressures if we didn't blitz and stunt so little. The whole DL would... 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Both Autry and Dayo are big enough to play full time 3T if they fit the D. But both have ideal tweener characteristics, so you'd want to take advantage of that. Defo is simply a very large man lol.. He's much bigger than Aaron Donald for instance. Defo has 6 inches and 10+ pounds on him. Auty, this year, I think might be bigger than Donald.

Grover's contract isn't exactly huge, but I agree he's probably overpaid a bit given what our scheme asks. Our NT though isn't really a position our scheme expects a lot of sacks from. We expect NT to push the C back, and to stuff gaps. Grover does a pretty good job of doing that. Our sacks are supposed to come from 3T and DEs. Grover would likely get more pressures if we didn't blitz and stunt so little. The whole DL would... 

Dayo probably could play 3 tech but if you line him and defo up as the dts the other team will run right through them. That's why I said they'd only be on the field together at dt in obvious passing situations. Otherwise it'll be one of them paired with a grover, Stallworth or woods

8 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Lewis is a FA. No guarantees there.  Defo, Grover, Dayo, Williams, Windsor and Banogu are the only dlineman under contract for 2022. 

15 minutes ago, J@son said:

Dayo probably could play 3 tech but if you line him and defo up as the dts the other team will run right through them. That's why I said they'd only be on the field together at dt in obvious passing situations. Otherwise it'll be one of them paired with a grover, Stallworth or woods

Defo is good against the run, and does incredibly well for being doubled so much. So not sure we'd be all that vulnerable vs the run. Would depend biggly on how Dayo does vs the run. 

Ballard said Dayo will start at DE, but will likely move inside gradually. Not sure if that means as tweener, or eventual successor to Defo. 

Honestly, I don't think it will matter much with our current scheme. If Flus goes to Jax, will be interesting to see if we remain so conservative with the front 4. 

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would like the first four lines, but dont believe that we have the cap to do so, unless the last 3 are bottom players

The DE MUST be able to be a reliable game wrecker. They are expensive

I also dont want to do anything that would extend the Carson situation unless he proves that he  is worth another contract

Carson is due the money, and we get put on the hook for future years. There is no motivation for Carson to lower the $$

at this point

I really like Ertz, but wonder if he is seeking a multi year deal that is prohibtive

If we came to Wentz & asked him to take a pay cut for 2022, he has every right to say no. But the incentive is there.

If we cut him, there is a good chance he does not start next year. Plus, he would no longer get the chance to prove he is a solid starter. 
& he would lose out on the remaining $55+ million of his contract as it is not guaranteed

28 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Does this board understand what Grover does on the DL?

He's not getting 10+ sacks and year

He's a terrific run defender

The Vita Vea of our defense

Thank you thank you thank you.

Grover plays his role in our defense extremely well. He is not a liability nor a detriment to our team.

Dayo will grow into the role the OP is stating we need if I understand him or her correctly.

I’m happy with the investments we’ve made in our DL as of late. I want to keep adding pieces of course but I like a lot of the pieces we currently have in place as well.

Archived