Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Have Ruined Football for Me

Smonroe

59 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Probably since 67, I think.  Still remember the year they were undefeated (I think) but had a tie or 2 and lost to the Rams, so they didn’t make the playoffs.  

When I was a kid I was a Tom Matte fan at OSU.  I followed hi to the Colts.  

in the future you can be just as rude with one gif.  

see ya goodbye GIFRob Gronkowski Football GIF by Tampa Bay Buccaneersdoor smash GIFCat Goodbye GIFstone cold GIF

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

Got to thinking. The 95 AFC championship game was the worse colt lose I handled. I was only 11, remember locking myself in the bathroom for an hour lol. Not much has changed. Still take the tough losses hard. 

Yeah that was bad too, I was only 24 when that happened and I went to bed in a dark room and put the covers over my head. I was so pee'd off because I felt like we got screwed. 1995 at Pitt, 2005 vs Pitt, 2009 SB vs Saints = 3 worse for me but last week is right there after that.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that was bad too, I was only 24 when that happened and I went to bed in a dark room and put the covers over my head. I was so pee'd off because I felt like we got screwed. 1995 at Pitt, 2005 vs Pitt, 2009 SB vs Saints = 3 worse for me but last week is right there after that.

SB was painful, but at least we got there.  I think we were favored but not by much.  

Losing to the worst team in the league, two score favorites in their house, and needing the win to make the playoffs?   Plus it wasn’t even close.  Soul killer.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

SB was painful, but at least we got there.  I think we were favored but not by much.  

Losing to the worst team in the league, two score favorites in their house, and needing the win to make the playoffs?   Plus it wasn’t even close.  Soul killer.  

No doubt it was bad and has everyone thinking what we should do and myself thinking that. 

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Most of you know I'm a pretty level headed guy.  I don't get too down when we lose a game - normally.

But I'm still not over the loss to the Jags.  So much so that I can't watch any games (better said - I don't want to watch).  No ESPN, and I'm not even looking forward to seeing Kaye on GMFB.

I've been a Colts fan longer than most of the people here have been alive.  I lived through SB 3 (which we all know was fixed).  The loss to the Steelers in the 2005 playoffs wasn't as bad, there were some extenuating circumstances.  Even the second half collapse in SB loss to the Saints wasn't as bad (we all know the NFL wanted them to win to heal the city).

It's already gone down as the worse loss in Indianapolis Colts history.  In my mind, it's the worst loss in Colts history.

I've given up on MLB (too boring).  I'm done with the NBA (basically pro wrestling in the regular season).  And never enjoyed soccer or soccer on ice.  

So I'm left to Cobra Kai on Netflix for my sports fix.

Okay, the rant is over.  This was somewhat therapeutical. 

Maybe I'll be sane by the Super Bowl.

0-4 at the Jags.... And this last one was a real behind kicker in every facet of the game. Most embarrassing loss I can remember (fan since 84). The lack of effort and performance was just bad all over including coaching. 

Not going to say it ruined FB for me, but my passion has been dying a little every year the last 3 years. Every last loss hurts and bums me out, but I normally regroup a few weeks later, and start getting up the draft. I'm not really bummed, I'm just very indifferent lol.... 

You need to check out soccer. National teams are fun to follow. I agree on the NBA. Totally sucks these days. Politics and super teams every year it seams. MLB lost me a long time ago. CBB and CFB are still fun for me. 

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Feel sorry for folks who feel "embarrassed" after a loss. Who the # are you embarrassed too? I can sure as heck feel disappointment....but embarrassment? Never. Last time I checked.....I wasn't on the field. 

As a fan losses bother me like it does most people, part of being a fan and following the team since 1984. Yes when you lose at Jacks with the playoffs on the line it is embarrassing to our fan base. Losses may not bother you but everyone is different. Just because we are not on the field, we still want the team to win, some bet on the team, some pick the team to be a SB contender. When you have our city media and diehard fans saying we are a SB contender and we lose a game like that, what do you call it then?

38 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Got to thinking. The 95 AFC championship game was the worse colt lose I handled. I was only 11, remember locking myself in the bathroom for an hour lol. Not much has changed. Still take the tough losses hard. 

I wasn’t much older. 12. That actually happened on my birthday. I was so ticked. That was sadly the start of a rough year for me. Lost a buddy due to gang crap a few weeks later 

I took that playoff loss to the raiders badly, ghost to the post. I was still young but it broke my heart. I've never loved a colt team as much as the '75-'77 Colts and Bert Jones. We shoulda won that game but Marchibroda was too conservative with one of the greatest passers of all time.

The other games mentioned above hurt a bunch too.

Besides the obvious what the jags loss meant, now looking forward few of us are happy with Wentz as our QB. The LT position needs filling unless Fisher is brought back...Still no proven edge rusher... a shut down CB is needed... WR#1 and TE#1 are needed..... that's a lot of premium positions that we need and without a #1 pick and a GM that hasn't shown to take FA seriously.

I too have been a fan of this team from the day Unitas hit the field. After the shock of the Great Mayflower Migration, I knew I could withstand anything. Watching great teams through the decades and wishing my Colts were those teams when they were struggling.  When Luck quit it was another near-death blow but as a fan it is like having an old reliable dog. You just cant stop loving it. 

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Most of you know I'm a pretty level headed guy.  I don't get too down when we lose a game - normally.

But I'm still not over the loss to the Jags.  So much so that I can't watch any games (better said - I don't want to watch).  No ESPN, and I'm not even looking forward to seeing Kaye on GMFB.

I've been a Colts fan longer than most of the people here have been alive.  I lived through SB 3 (which we all know was fixed).  The loss to the Steelers in the 2005 playoffs wasn't as bad, there were some extenuating circumstances.  Even the second half collapse in SB loss to the Saints wasn't as bad (we all know the NFL wanted them to win to heal the city).

It's already gone down as the worse loss in Indianapolis Colts history.  In my mind, it's the worst loss in Colts history.

I've given up on MLB (too boring).  I'm done with the NBA (basically pro wrestling in the regular season).  And never enjoyed soccer or soccer on ice.  

I think you lost me with….  And we all know Super Bowl III was fixed.    Yeah, that’s a Big No for me Dawg.

Otherwise the one thing I can agree with is this….    You’re a good poster.  One of my faves.    I hope you can decompress this off-season so you can enjoy the 22 season.

Better days ahead!    :thmup:

2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Kordell was only a little out of bounds that day in Pittsburgh...smh... Lol

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he was wide open for like 5 minutes it seemed. Morrall deserves a BOOOOO.

He was waving it seemed like for an hour.... lol

When you add in that play, along with other abnormal plays from Morrall, the gambling accusations (Colts Owner betting again the Colts), and Bachelor's III / mafia back story with Namath, the NFL forcing Namath to sell it right after, and Namath's short lived retirement due to the situation....... the fixed conspiracy theory isn't hard to wonder about.

We all know what Bubba Smith and others thought..   

One thing I noticed on hard knocks that really bothered me was the NFL media playing in the break room. So when all the media was talking the Colts up, for a few weeks there, the Colts were hearing all the praise and thought they could cost into the playoffs. 

Then frank talking about this is a winning culture when they haven't proven that is the case. This current culture hasn't won %. 

A lot of talk. 

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

One thing I noticed on hard knocks that really bothered me was the NFL media playing in the break room. So when all the media was talking the Colts up, for a few weeks there, the Colts were hearing all the praise and thought they could cost into the playoffs. 

Then frank talking about this is a winning culture when they haven't proven that is the case. This current culture hasn't won %. 

A lot of talk. 

I question how they define "culture".

Do we have good guys. Sure.

Is it a winning culture? Lots of reasons to say nope.

The 0-4 at Jax record is only one big eye popping factoid to say no, but there's plenty of other stuff (like collapses, bad efforts, etc).

I'm just not so sure players are confident in scheme / game plan week to week. 

6 hours ago, joeb said:

I'm also a veteran Colts fan. I am from New Jersey. I met Unitas when i was a kid. That's how i became a fan. I bet many of my classmates 7th grade on Sb 3. I remember going to school paying up. Needless to say I detest the Jets. I have to agree with you these 2 losses are possibly the  worst I've seen from the Colts. The lack of energy from them was hard to believe. 

Yes, I hear you.  I still hate the Jets too from SB3.

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he was wide open for like 5 minutes it seemed. Morrall deserves a BOOOOO.

Not to mention that they ran the same play a few weeks earlier for a TD.  But sure, Morrall, the MVP, fresh off of a 34-0 whipping of the Browns in the NFL championship game - lost him in the band…. And Matte was running through them like a hot knife through butter.  But that stopped too.  

I maintain Morrall, and maybe a few others, we’re paid to keep it under the spread.  He did his job too well.  

Im no conspiracy nut, but there’s just too much evidence in that game.  

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not to mention that they ran the same play a few weeks earlier for a TD.  But sure, Morrall, the MVP, fresh off of a 34-0 whipping of the Browns in the NFL championship game - lost him in the band…. And Matte was running through them like a hot knife through butter.  But that stopped too.  

I maintain Morrall, and maybe a few others, we’re paid to keep it under the spread.  He did his job too well.  

Im no conspiracy nut, but there’s just too much evidence in that game.  

There is, in fact, zero evidence.   There is just a mountain of opinion.   It’s hard to say your not a conspiracy person when you only bring opinion to a 50 year old event and claim there was a conspiracy.     

Sorry, but…..      :facepalm:

When I get down I just think of the great times here in Indy. The 5 AFC Title Game Apps = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014. The 2 SB apps = 2006 and 2009. The SB win in 2006. I am a history guy though and consider us a lucky franchise overall. Anytime a team can have Peyton for their team 12 solid years and then have Luck for a solid 3 years to follow that means we have been fortunate. Even Harbaugh's magical year in 1995 was fun to watch. Just think how Dolphins fans feel when Dan Marino never won a SB in 17 seasons played, Bills losing 4 straight SB's from 1990-1993 - no ring, Chargers with Dan Fouts and Philip but never won a SB. Better yet think of the Browns or Lions being a fan of that crap haha .

9 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

For me I don’t think the colts ruined it for me. I think so many fans over reactions to every loss who just go overboard is what ruins it for me.  It’s ok to be critical but so much of it is over the top.

A rare time that you and I agree. But exactly!!!

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There is, in fact, zero evidence.   There is just a mountain of opinion.   It’s hard to say your not a conspiracy person when you only bring opinion to a 50 year old event and claim there was a conspiracy.     

Sorry, but…..      :facepalm:

well, it’s more than just opinion when guys who played in the game have said the same thing.  

You can choose to not to believe them or look at the instances they point out (the Orr play, Matte’s running, the questionable interceptions, how some players suddenly had some money to start businesses) and think “hmm, maybe they have a point”. 

I brought up the 50 year old incident because we were talking about the worst losses.  That’s the one that is always mentioned. 

12 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Feel sorry for folks who feel "embarrassed" after a loss. Who the # are you embarrassed too? I can sure as heck feel disappointment....but embarrassment? Never. Last time I checked.....I wasn't on the field. 

lol i get what you're saying.. but fans all have an understanding about this. I wish i could've told the tons of people who visited my office to let me know about the embarrassment last Sunday. I couldn've told them.. i'm not apart of the team haha but they would've laughed even harder at that statement. I wear the gear with pride, and get excited when we win. I can be embarrassed when we lose too 

36 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

lol i get what you're saying.. but fans all have an understanding about this. I wish i could've told the tons of people who visited my office to let me know about the embarrassment last Sunday. I couldn've told them.. i'm not apart of the team haha but they would've laughed even harder at that statement. I wear the gear with pride, and get excited when we win. I can be embarrassed when we lose too 

The way I look at it is, if you have bought their merchandise = Jerseys or whatever, watch the team every week = ratings and brag about them being good, and have gone to multiple games - which costs thousands of dollars, then anyone has a right to express their opinion whether they are proud or embarrassed about the team. I have been to around 50 games in my lifetime and live in Indy. Ballard even said the loss is embarrassing for the fans and city - in his press conference. So my above post is completely validated. If some people just watch for entertainment and losses don't bother them than so be it, they are just a different kind of fan. Not saying that is bad but that is their way of looking at things :thmup: 

The loss in the Super Bowl to the Saints was so much worse. I turned on Madden on All-Pro directly afterwards and sacked Brees 6 times with Mathis and 5 times with Freeney. I think I won by 40. Still probably the best game of Madden I’ve ever played. I was 16 and I skipped school the next day.

23 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

The loss in the Super Bowl to the Saints was so much worse. I turned on Madden on All-Pro directly afterwards and sacked Brees 6 times with Mathis and 5 times with Freeney. I think I won by 40. Still probably the best game of Madden I’ve ever played. I was 16 and I skipped school the next day.

HAHAH :lol: I don't know if I should be embarrassed or not but whatever.. I still play madden (just not online) just for fun by myself and I'm 31. Anyways.. immediately after we lost I fired up madden 22 and started a new franchise with the colts. Created my son as the QB to take over the duties from Carson LOL I flew through the first season finishing 9-8 too. But now I've drafted a big time WR to pair with Pitt and Taylor and we're fixing to dominate :lol:

I've taken this loss very very well. I expected Carson to implode at some point and he did albeit at the end when the finish line was in sight. I expected 8-8/9-8 and got it. I think it's a talented roster with an elite coach and a very smart GM (who has learned his lessons finally) but still needs help at pass rush, and needs some elite receiving talent, and most of all, like every serious contender, we need a QB. We don't have one and my expectations are we will not be serious util we get that position, it's the most important in sport with good reason. So no, this loss was no big deal to me. I made sure my expectations internally stayed very realistic and calibrated.

The loss against the Saints stands alone as the one loss that sent me into mild depression. I kept seeing onside kicks in my sleep for days after that.

30 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I've taken this loss very very well. I expected Carson to implode at some point and he did albeit at the end when the finish line was in sight. I expected 8-8/9-8 and got it. I think it's a talented roster with an elite coach and a very smart GM (who has learned his lessons finally) but still needs help at pass rush, and needs some elite receiving talent, and most of all, like every serious contender, we need a QB. We don't have one and my expectations are we will not be serious util we get that position, it's the most important in sport with good reason. So no, this loss was no big deal to me. I made sure my expectations internally stayed very realistic and calibrated.

The loss against the Saints stands alone as the one loss that sent me into mild depression. I kept seeing onside kicks in my sleep for days after that.

same I had dreams we did things a little differently and won. only to wake up and be like blah.. it was just a dream. But I will say, this loss to the Jags had me feeling about the same. no other lose since then made me feel that bad

43 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I've taken this loss very very well. I expected Carson to implode at some point and he did albeit at the end when the finish line was in sight. I expected 8-8/9-8 and got it. I think it's a talented roster with an elite coach and a very smart GM (who has learned his lessons finally) but still needs help at pass rush, and needs some elite receiving talent, and most of all, like every serious contender, we need a QB. We don't have one and my expectations are we will not be serious until we get that position, it's the most important in sport with good reason. So no, this loss was no big deal to me. I made sure my expectations internally stayed very realistic and calibrated.

Like MJ (played by Zendaya) said in the movie "Spiderman No Way Home" - "If you expect to be disappointed, you won't be disappointed." You played her card man!!! :) 

48 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I get that, you and other Colts fans have said it was the worst loss.  Any time you lose a SB it's got to be depressing.  But it was a close game, closer than the final score, and at least we were there.  30 teams can't say that.

I also get what you said about Carson, and he wasn't good in the Jags game.  But it was a team (lack of) effort to lose.  Both sides of the ball were out played at the line.  And being a heavy favorite against the worst team in the league makes it even a more brutal loss IMHO.

I'm sure a lot of Colts fans had the same reaction as me during and after that game - like "Who the H were those guys in the Colts uniforms????"

(And, not that anyone cares, but I'm starting to get over it.  It kind of helped me seeing the Steelers, Eagles and Cowboys lose.  But that's just my psychosis)

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

But it was a team (lack of) effort to lose.  Both sides of the ball were out played at the line.  And being a heavy favorite against the worst team in the league makes it even a more brutal loss IMHO.

I'm sure a lot of Colts fans had the same reaction as me during and after that game - like "Who the H were those guys in the Colts uniforms????"

(And, not that anyone cares, but I'm starting to get over it.  It kind of helped me seeing the Steelers, Eagles and Cowboys lose.  But that's just my psychosis)

Yeah, misery loves company, so I get it with the Steelers, Eagles, Cowboys losses.

Yeah, typically when one phase of the team does not start well, the other phase picks it up. None of that was to be found with the Colts that day. Once we let them convert those 3rd and 12 and 3rd and 10 on the first drive, I felt deflated once it finished with a TD. It was way too easy and it was reminiscent of all the Jaguars games we have played at Jacksonville. 

We can consider the good over the bad with Eberflus if the good comes in timely and critical spots. Turn the ball over with Tyquan Lewis injury, next play TD. Turn the ball over with Wentz fumble in Bucs red zone, TD the other way. Turn the ball over with Winfield INT vs Pittman close to Bucs red zone again, TD the other way. 2 situations vs Bucs where the D could have helped by playing like in the first half. Turn the ball over with Wentz close to mid field with Titans in OT, automatic FG, teams don't fear our scheme, they know they will find someone open with our lack of pass rush and scheme that does not compensate with a blitz. Yeah, he gets the mulligan for OT vs Ravens but it was his decision to play man coverage with Bopete Keyes, right? Then he turns around and plays cushy zone vs rookie Lawrence who hadn't gotten a TD pass in several games leading to our game. I mean, when push comes to shove, Eberflus' defensive scheme has underachieved. 

That is why I am hesitant to lay it all on Wentz and hope the Colts management does not give in to Irsay's emotions or their emotions right now and loads up again. If Eberflus is retained, no reason Wentz cannot be, that is my thought process.

Well, perhaps it is different for me. I just realized some of you may get into the brag game. 

I never say haha to anyone I know who loses,,,,,and I never brag ahead of time that my team will win. Therefore I would never put myself in a place to be embarrassed. 

And to clarify. I said I felt sorry for those who do. I didn't say you we're wrong. It honestly surprises me. 

22 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I hear you. I used to be a huge sports fan. I used to listen to sports radio whenever I was home alone. I would sleep all night with sports radio on -- there were 3 different sports radio stations here (only 2 now). I followed not only NFL football but baseball, college basketball, college football, golf, and tennis. I would go on vacation and at night check the radio channels for sports radio in that particular city. I once called into a Miami station while on vacation and won tickets to a game by answering a question correctly about George Seifert and Cornell Univ. I was that much of a fan.

A few years ago after the Pats won yet another Super Bowl, I stopped listening to sports radio. I did not want to hear how great Brady and Belichick were and what great an organization they were. I was still interested in the NFL and in my baseball team but I felt like I was slowly losing interest in them too.

Thankfully I still enjoy the NFL but not like I used to. Is it all the losing by the teams I root for (Vikings, Mets)?? Perhaps. Neither of them have won championships that I could really appreciate. The Mets won the World Series in '86 but I was a bit too young to fully enjoy or appreciate it. 

Anyway, I hear you! Perhaps you can find a team with former Colts to root for. Or maybe root for Arians? :)

22 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I was FBall Devistated for a couple days. 

Kurt Warner opened my eyes to how bad Wentz IS. It is so clear a Caveman...  Follow that with Irsays ire and i dream now that Wentz will be gone. And THAT gives me new hope.

As for watching football, this weekend had a lot of really good QB play, and creative play calling. It was really good for me to see it, it can be done!!!

I don't know how we will get there, but i will keep eating my Wheaties & Spinach... and doing that WOOD THING!!  GO  :colts:

Archived