Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Have Ruined Football for Me

Smonroe

Feel better friend. Yes it's annoying, but it's one of those things you can't do anything about.

I'm watching today's games but I didn't bother yesterday. Go do something fun on your free weekends now. 

Thankfully losing doesn't bother me anymore. I remember those times and they're definitely tough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope to never experience a loss worse than XLIV. 

We gave that one away. Just gave it right away. They were so afraid of Brees and the deep pass they let him shred us underneath. All. *. Night. 

Give me Wentz %ting the bed in (essentially) a playoff game in a season where we saw plenty of struggle over giving away a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning at the end of a dominant and (what should have been) perfect season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Who would win in a fight, Johnny Lawrence or Mike Barnes? All jokes a side I would rank this loss as probably the most shocking or embarrassing loss but to me losing SB 44 was the worse loss. We quit on an undefeated season and then to top it off lost the SB with the better team by making silly mistakes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

We gave that one away. Just gave it right away. They were so afraid of Brees and the deep pass they let him shred us underneath. All. *. Night. 

Give me Wentz %ting the bed in (essentially) a playoff game in a season where we saw plenty of struggle over giving away a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning at the end of a dominant and (what should have been) perfect season. 

I agree, getting that 2nd SB win would've been gigantic and cemented us a real dominant team that decade. We were still great but only 1 SB win.

• Like 1

Most embarrassing loss for sure.  It was definitely frustrating and emotionally draining.  I backed off of watching the playoffs myself.  I catch a few plays here or there but not really watching full games and could care less how it all unfolds.  Didn't even feel like seeing the Pats get obliterated by Josh Allen as happy as seeing New England lose would usually make me.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Most embarrassing loss for sure.  It was definitely frustrating and emotionally draining.  I backed off of watching the playoffs myself.  I catch a few plays here or there but not really watching full games and could care less how it all unfolds.  Didn't even feel like seeing the Pats get obliterated by Josh Allen as happy as seeing New England lose would usually make me.  

Exactly.  Last year after we were out I was actually rooting for TB12 to win one for the old guys.  I know some consider that sacrilegious.  This year, I couldn't care less who wins it.

A lot of what I said in the opening post was tongue in cheek, but I really am having a hard time putting on a game.

Someone said Vikings 2.0.  I just hope we didn't turn into the Browns.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Exactly.  Last year after we were out I was actually rooting for TB12 to win one for the old guys.  I know some consider that sacrilegious.  This year, I couldn't care less who wins it.

A lot of what I said in the opening post was tongue in cheek, but I really am having a hard time putting on a game.

Someone said Vikings 2.0.  I just hope we didn't turn into the Browns.  

We won’t be at the Browns level. I see us exactly like the Broncos. A decent overall team, but a carousel for QBs. Just like us with Luck, they have yet to figure out their answer to who takes over after Manning. 

• Like 3

Good post Mike! After the Colts are eliminated from contention I'd barely pay attention to what's going on in the playoffs. I keep track of the scores but I won't watch the games. Hopefully both the chiefs and buccaneers do not make it back to the Superbowl. I am discouraged and don't have much faith the Colts will be any better next season though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Most of you know I'm a pretty level headed guy.  I don't get too down when we lose a game - normally.

But I'm still not over the loss to the Jags.  So much so that I can't watch any games (better said - I don't want to watch).  No ESPN, and I'm not even looking forward to seeing Kaye on GMFB.

I've been a Colts fan longer than most of the people here have been alive.  I lived through SB 3 (which we all know was fixed).  The loss to the Steelers in the 2005 playoffs wasn't as bad, there were some extenuating circumstances.  Even the second half collapse in SB loss to the Saints wasn't as bad (we all know the NFL wanted them to win to heal the city).

It's already gone down as the worse loss in Indianapolis Colts history.  In my mind, it's the worst loss in Colts history.

I've given up on MLB (too boring).  I'm done with the NBA (basically pro wrestling in the regular season).  And never enjoyed soccer or soccer on ice.  

So I'm left to Cobra Kai on Netflix for my sports fix.

Okay, the rant is over.  This was somewhat therapeutical. 

Maybe I'll be sane by the Super Bowl.

I'm also a veteran Colts fan. I am from New Jersey. I met Unitas when i was a kid. That's how i became a fan. I bet many of my classmates 7th grade on Sb 3. I remember going to school paying up. Needless to say I detest the Jets. I have to agree with you these 2 losses are possibly the  worst I've seen from the Colts. The lack of energy from them was hard to believe. 

• Like 2

For what it's worth I think the Jags would have beaten a number of teams the way they played last Sunday. Our O line was a joke. Fisher has to go.  The Jags D line played great. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Most of you know I'm a pretty level headed guy.  I don't get too down when we lose a game - normally.

But I'm still not over the loss to the Jags.  So much so that I can't watch any games (better said - I don't want to watch).  No ESPN, and I'm not even looking forward to seeing Kaye on GMFB.

I've been a Colts fan longer than most of the people here have been alive.  I lived through SB 3 (which we all know was fixed).  The loss to the Steelers in the 2005 playoffs wasn't as bad, there were some extenuating circumstances.  Even the second half collapse in SB loss to the Saints wasn't as bad (we all know the NFL wanted them to win to heal the city).

It's already gone down as the worse loss in Indianapolis Colts history.  In my mind, it's the worst loss in Colts history.

I've given up on MLB (too boring).  I'm done with the NBA (basically pro wrestling in the regular season).  And never enjoyed soccer or soccer on ice.  

I've been a fan since 1960 ... you ?   That loss still "bugs" me also . I really do think the team had a covid "hangover" the last 2 games.  Don't know if that helps...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

While the Jags loss last week was the worst regular season loss I have experienced as a fan, I agree with you 100% that the worst overall loss in my time as a fan was the SB against the Saints.   Took me several weeks to get over it and frankly, I don’t think the franchise was ever the same as Manning would only play one more season for us.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMANFran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

• Haha 1

I felt good the next day tbh. Far better teams have lost in far more dissapointing and depressing ways. The worst part of the lost was seeing  that Wentz couldn't step up when needed, but at the very least we got to confirm that notion about him early on.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The Jags loss was bad, but I'm not sure which was worse, this or Polian sending Painter on the field at 14-0.

People are embarrassed about the Jags loss.  People were angry AF in 2009.  

Excellent post. Wow, so many Colts fans from the 60s. I have been a Colts fan since '67. Yes, this was a major loss. Maybe top 3 most embarrassing ever. 

Good pont on SBIII. Looking back, Morrall ignoring primary receiver Orr near the endzone sealed the deal for me about something smelling bad, then other bad Morrall decisions.

The loss to the Saints in the SB, while we were driving and of all QBs, Peyton throwing a pick 6.

'77 season Ghost to the post loss in OT. Woww.

'05 loss to Steelers, that may have been our best team in Indy at least.

2000 playoffs to Dolphs, '99 playoff loss to Titans, 03 loss to Pats in playoffs.

Too many more to mention, but you get the point.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

The Jags loss was bad, but I'm not sure which was worse, this or Polian sending Painter on the field at 14-0.

People are embarrassed about the Jags loss.  People were angry AF in 2009.  

I just remembered Frank was here for that.  He was Painter's QB coach that day.

25 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

I get being discouraged and down. We all are…but do we really need thread after thread after thread of this??

No, we don't.  But for many like me it's Colts rehab.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

I've been a fan since 1960 ... you ?   That loss still "bugs" me also . I really do think the team had a covid "hangover" the last 2 games.  Don't know if that helps...

Probably since 67, I think.  Still remember the year they were undefeated (I think) but had a tie or 2 and lost to the Rams, so they didn’t make the playoffs.  

When I was a kid I was a Tom Matte fan at OSU.  I followed hi to the Colts.  

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMANFran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

in the future you can be just as rude with one gif.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Nothing is even close to Super Bowl 3. That may have well been the most embarrassing loss in NFL history. Should have won that game 19 out of 20 times. Morrall was just so

bad that day. 
As a Baltimore fan, 1969 was a horrible year. We also faced the indignity of losing to the Mets in the WS. Ironically , I think the 68 Colts and 69 Orioles were two of the best teams in Baltimore history. They just couldn’t finish it off. 
To me, comparing Super Bowl 3 to a loss to Jacksonville , isn’t even close. Disappointing , embarrassing , but many of those old Baltimore Colts took that lost game to their graves. Even the Super Bowl 5 win didn’t satisfy many of them. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Probably since 67, I think.  Still remember the year they were undefeated (I think) but had a tie or 2 and lost to the Rams, so they didn’t make the playoffs.  

When I was a kid I was a Tom Matte fan at OSU.  I followed hi to the Colts.  

in the future you can be just as rude with one gif.  

67 was the year that happened. I remember it well , the Rams pummeled an aging J Unitas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Nothing is even close to Super Bowl 3. That may have well been the most embarrassing loss in NFL history. Should have won that game 19 out of 20 times. Morrall was just so

bad that day. 
As a Baltimore fan, 1969 was a horrible year. We also faced the indignity of losing to the Mets in the WS. Ironically , I think the 68 Colts and 69 Orioles were two of the best teams in Baltimore history. They just couldn’t finish it off. 
To me, comparing Super Bowl 3 to a loss to Jacksonville , isn’t even close. Disappointing , embarrassing , but many of those old Baltimore Colts took that lost game to their graves. Even the Super Bowl 5 win didn’t satisfy many of them. 

I’m convinced that Morrall was paid to keep it close, and he did too good of a job.

Maybe in 50 years I’ll get over the Jags loss.  When I’m in my 100s I probably won’t care anyway.  

17 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

bad that day. 

SB 44, them getting an onside kick = a 14 point swing basically. Then Peyton just throwing a bad pass and Wayne running a lazy route. It was like here you go New Orleans, enjoy. We should've won that game by at least 10. Freeney got injured too which was critical.

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m convinced that Morrall was paid to keep it close, and he did too good of a job.

Maybe in 50 years I’ll get over the Jags loss.  When I’m in my 100s I probably won’t care anyway.  

Bubba Smith claimed it was fixed. I’m not sure I would go that far, but the Colts were way better than the Jets, except for that day. We should have been up 20-0 in the first half. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

SB 44, them getting an onside kick = a 14 point swing basically. Then Peyton just throwing a bad pass and Wayne running a lazy route. It was like here you go New Orleans, enjoy. We should've won that game by at least 10. Freeney got injured too which was critical.

I think you guys were better than the Saints that year. In my opinion , Irsay and Polian blew it by taking the foot off the peddle in the later part of the season. Momentum was lost. 

• Like 3

Anytime my team is eliminated from the playoffs I stop watching that sport. I couldn’t watch any nba last year when they had Black Lives Matter junk everywhere.

It’s nice to see so many posters that have been fans 50 years like me!

• Like 2