Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns release OBJ

Indyfan4life

Browns informed WR Odell Beckham of his release. 

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio initially reported the move, while Yahoo's Charles Robinson has since confirmed it. Since the trade deadline has come and gone, Beckham must first clear waivers even though he is a vested veteran. Florio reports that is where the tricky part comes in, as Beckham has agreed to a "revised contract that reduces the team’s obligation to pay Beckham, if he’s not claimed on waivers and becomes eligible for the balance of his salary termination pay." As Florio points out, the key for Beckham is making sure his salary does not go low enough that he actually gets claimed. Beckham wants to clear waivers and be free to choose his new home. Robinson reports the Browns "failed to receive any trade offers for Beckham," with perhaps only the Saints even considering one. Slowed by injury and intrigue during his star-crossed time in Cleveland, Beckham's initial market could be uncertain, but he will undoubtedly draw interest from a gaggle of competing teams.  

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Nov 5, 2021, 1:59 AM ET

How did Eli Manning handle him? He needs a low profile low key QB to play along with, we have that and Baker is far from that. The pros outweigh the cons and our locker room can handle him.

You don't buy a BMW for cup holders and don't buy an Acura to drive it like a Civic, which is what the Browns offense tried to do with him. I think it is definitely worth kicking the tires, IMO. With Wentz's arm, to take the focus off Pittman, he will definitely help. Plus, his usage, even if we use him like Parris Campbell, will be much higher than how the Browns used him, IMO.

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

How did Eli Manning handle him? He needs a low profile low key QB to play along with, we have that and Baker is far from that. The pros outweigh the cons and our locker room can handle him.

You don't buy a BMW for cup holders and don't buy an Acura to drive it like a Civic, which is what the Browns offense tried to do with him. I think it is definitely worth kicking the tires, IMO. With Wentz's arm, to take the focus off Pittman, he will definitely help. Plus, his usage, even if we use him like Parris Campbell, will be much higher than how the Browns used him, IMO.

Finally another poster who realizes what having a great target opposite Pittman could do for our offense.  No one is saying this long term.  But he would certainly give opposing defenses another WR to worry about.  We will have our chance given our position on the waiver wire.  So we shall see.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

You know, I’m on board with this move. Which is very rare for me. But I fully was thinking the exact same thing as you here. Scary huh!

Make it happen Chris Ballard! 

I also think our locker room could handle him....that is one thing I will always give Ballard credit for. He doesn't have a bunch of "boys" on the team. He signs "men", "leaders".  Now, with that being said, am I sure I love the idea of him...ehh..but could he help our offense, absolutely.  I am indifferent here because of his past history of being a me first player.  If we sign him I think our roster will control his attitude and not let him be a distraction. If we don't sign him, then meh.

I'd take him, but only on a veteran's minimum with all kinds of conditions in his contract.

He's almost always hurt and he hasn't demonstrated that he can handle not being the focal point of an offense and here he definitely wouldn't be. In Cleveland he was paired with his college teammate Jarvis Landry under the same assumption, (also complimented with a good running threat in Chubb) that the duo would be deadly and would tear up the league and that didn't happen, for the reasons I noted.

He needs psychiatric evaluation to be cleared to play. In his twisted little brain no team is good enough to have the honor of playing with him. Look at all the great players in all positions appreciating the fact that they have made it to the NFL when thousands do not. He is at best a punk. 

I dont know how people think our team can handle him any better than the Browns. Do people forget that the Browns have arguably been more successful than us the last couple years, and that maybe their culture is par or maybe even better than ours?

Guy is a clown, signs a massive 5 year contract in NY then gets traded a year later for being a locker room cancer. Has a couple quiet years in Cleveland and now all of sudden he is not getting the ball enough and he stops talking to his teammates completely. Someone told me earlier this was not true...well its been confirmed by Baker himself now. 

Why would the Browns pay to release him, get that? They owe him guaranteed money and they still released him! If thats not a sign that he is trouble well I dont know what is.

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont know how people think our team can handle him any better than the Browns. Do people forget that the Browns have arguably been more successful than us the last couple years, and that maybe their culture is par or maybe even better than ours?

Guy is a clown, signs a massive 5 year contract in NY then gets traded a year later for being a locker room cancer. Has a couple quiet years in Cleveland and now all of sudden he is not getting the ball enough and he stops talking to his teammates completely. Someone told me earlier this was not true...well its been confirmed by Baker himself now. 

Why would the Browns pay to release him, get that? They owe him guaranteed money and they still released him! If thats not a sign that he is trouble well I dont know what is.

I don’t think they payed to release him.  Whoever claims him will still have to pay him the remainder of his salary which is over 7M.  They reworked his contract so this is now the final year.  With that high number he might get through waivers.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think they payed to release him.  Whoever claims him will still have to pay him the remainder of his salary which is over 7M.  They reworked his contract so this is now the final year.  With that high number he might get through waivers.

He wont get claimed on waivers because of the salary. They reworked his contract so they could pay less than his original salary to show him the door. He will be a FA getting paid by the Browns and he will be able to double dip and get paid by another team as well. If a team claims him off waivers Browns are off the hook, but nobody is paying that salary theres actually less then 10 teams that can afford it. Why would they rework it if the Browns thought he would be claimed. Makes 0 sense.

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

He wont get claimed on waivers because of the salary. They reworked his contract so they could pay less than his original salary to show him the door. He will be a FA getting paid by the Browns and he will be able to double dip and get paid by another team as well. If a team claims him off waivers Browns are off the hook, but nobody is paying that salary theres actually less then 10 teams that can afford it. Why would they rework it if the Browns thought he would be claimed. Makes 0 sense.

The Browns agreed to remove the final two years of his contract.  That actually makes his contract more attractive because the claiming team will not have to take on the entire contract and only the remainder of this year which is expensive anyway.  So he will most likely not get claimed and get his wish of being a FA and the Browns are off the hook for the contract as well.  A win win for both.  Browns owe him nothing once he hits waivers.  No reports that I have read this evening mention that he will be getting paid by the Browns as well.  Maybe I missed it.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Browns agreed to remove the final two years of his contract.  That actually makes his contract more attractive because the claiming team will not have to take on the entire contract and only the remainder of this year which is expensive anyway.  So he will most likely not get claimed and get his wish of being a FA and the Browns are off the hook for the contract as well.  A win win for both.  Browns owe him nothing once he hits waivers.  No reports that I have read this evening mention that he will be getting paid by the Browns as well.  Maybe I missed it.

Browns owe him 6.45M Guaranteed this season. Thats not going anywhere. Why would OBJ let the browns take 6.45M dollars from him lol? They also put in ridiculous incentive based bouses that will deter teams from picking him up so OBJ gets his wish and becomes a FA. This is available info not sure where your looking.

A team only takes on the contact if he is claimed on waivers. If he is a FA the new team has to sign him to a new contract.... the win win, is the Browns are rid of OBJ and he still gets his 6.45M

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

as per a quick google search

"The LSU product is now subject to waivers where 31 other teams will have the opportunity to claim him. If he goes unclaimed, then he would become an unrestricted free agency. Cleveland owes him $7 million for the rest of the season"

On 11/5/2021 at 6:56 AM, richard pallo said:

Finally another poster who realizes what having a great target opposite Pittman could do for our offense.  No one is saying this long term.  But he would certainly give opposing defenses another WR to worry about.  We will have our chance given our position on the waiver wire.  So we shall see.

Did you not read the complete post from the OP?

Beckham does NOT want to claimed by anyone off of waivers.   He wants to clear waivers so he can pick the team he goes to. 

It is not that you and others understand something the rest of us don’t.   Quite the opposite.   You are determined to pound a square peg into a round hole and proclaim it a great fit because we need another WR.   Just because we have a “need” doesn’t mean the fit is a good one. 

After reading this, I doubt we go after OBJ, to be honest.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/11/08/odell-beckham-browns-waivers-preferred-destination

These lines really bothered me:

Fair enough. What player doesn’t want a chance to win a Super Bowl? But here’s where Schefter’s report gets interesting. He writes that Beckham is willing to make life difficult for his next team if he ends up somewhere he doesn’t want to be.

OBJ will end up being a Packer, IMO. Patriots and Seahawks still prefer to run the ball and play defense with the occasional deep shots. Rodgers plays more hero ball than anyone else and that would fit OBJ.

Didn't want OBJ anyway (couldn't afford him too) and frankly with how he forced himself out of the browns organization, I don't think he would get a long with Pittman and the other leaders of this offense.

If we were to go after a WR that we could afford the best option would be Josh Reynolds (Only $500,000 for the remainder of the season) who was just released by the Titans. He didn't do much for the Titans but was a solid player for the Rams and could be the deep threat we need (and if I remember right he also run blocks decently).

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He says he wants to go to a Super Bowl contender.     Do we look like that this year? 

I think Richard cares more about trades and acquisitions, than the actual game itself.    

He’s probably a huge fan of

image.jpeg.04303e2ddc24db53171a35906686fc82.jpeg

Archived