Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it Ballard or Reich?

CoachLite

Well, Ballard said he wants to start with building strong in the trenches.  He's failed on both ends of the ball, particularly with DE.  The secondary is woefully inconsistent in its coverage.  That's on Reich and the DC.  Yeah, the OL is getting over the injury bug, but that's no excuse to get your QB pressured 27 times - 8 sacks, 6 hurries and 13 QB hits.  Reich and Ballard.  Wentz is running for dear life.  Then we abandon the run game when Reich and Ballard both say that they want to establish the run and take some pressure off the QB.  I mean it was clearly the best thing going for our offense yesterday and we just went away from it.

So by their own goals they''ve set for themselves, they have failed on virtually all fronts.  Don't think anyone here needs to point their finger at one being worse than the other because they are failing the expectations they've set for themselves, which is worse than a bad loss and the media/fans questioning a play call here or there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Old Colt said:

Ballard has as much to blame... he has some flashy picks, but many never pan out, there is NO depth at any position, the defensive backfield is mediocre at best, no pass rush.  There is no consistency on this team, even play by play.  what happened to the 3 year rebuild....  time to move on, maybe from both. 

Here's the catch - often the Colts will bring in players with potential - Jerry Hughes, Pierre Garcon, AQ Shipley, Denzelle Good - that don't work with the Colts. They do however succeed with other teams. Why?

I know from experience that working with high performing people can sometimes be challenging, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't great teammates. They just don't tolerate mediocracy well.

Nice guys finish last....

Sadly for the Colts, Reich is way to nice and he just don´t strike me as a coach that can bring that fire to the colts roster and make them much better.

But our QB situation aint good either... wentz just can´t get the job done or stay healthy.

So 80 % Reich, 20% Ballard who need to step up his aggressivity in free agency and bring in the right guys.

I think the issues are mostly Reich. The play design for the personnel we have just isn’t there. As mentioned in another thread, I think we need to use our massive receivers on more 50/50 red zone plays and we need more 2 back sets.

However, lets take the Rams for example. I don’t believe they have had a first round pick in 5ish years…they stay competitive though by using those resources on blue chip proven players like Ramsey and Stanford. I am not saying the Colts need to be that extreme but it would be nice for Ballard to use trades more to get proven players rather than throw a bunch of second round picks on “potential” guys. The Buckner trade worked….why not build the roster more using that method as well?

I agree Reich is 100% the issue currently, he comes off as low energy, his team is not nearly physical enough, and there are questions about talent evaluation. He is supposed to be the QB guru!. After evaluating Eason for over a year how do you get to the point that Hundley is taking first team reps game week, and not prepared much earlier. Cannot blame loss of practice due to COVID! Based on his play calling, teams are really going to load the box on us.

It’s Reich at a 70/30 split over Ballard right now. 

Reich just isn’t a good head coach. He’s an upgrade over Pagano but that’s really it. 

Yesterday was the day Ballard started to sour on me. Yesterday was finally the day that I just had to call nonsense. 

To go into that game so afraid of Eason starting or just playing at all that we 1) played Wentz in that condition and 2) shuffled Eason as far down the depth chart as far as we could says a lot. 

But it’s not even a unique issue. We’ve seen a lot of Ballard picks that just don’t produce, or are just plain whiffs. Let’s take a walk through the first 4 rounds of his first 4 drafts. 

Malik Hooker - 1 (15)

Wasn’t a first round talent for us by any means, let walk after his rookie contract, had a bidding market so soft he didn’t land with his next team until almost AUGUST, and then was a healthy scratch in his first game with the team. 

Quincy Wilson - 2 (46)

We don’t talk about this one enough, but the concept is one we’re going to stick with so we’ve got that going for us. A second round pick who didn’t deliver on the field, and spent plenty of time being a healthy scratch. Traded to the Jets in 2020 for the 211th pick (6th round) and was waived from there after only 3 games. I’d call the Jets suckers in that deal, but then I realize we turned 46th overall in that draft into 211th in another, so I’ll save that stone to cast another time. 

Terrell Basham - 3 (80)

Waived after less than a season and a half. 

Zach Banner - 4 (137)

Lol. Didn’t even make the week 1 roster. Lol. 

Marlon Mack - 4 (143)

Took us long enough to get to a contributor.

Grover Stewart - 4 (144)

Still here, plays, getting 10 million a year. 

Quinten Nelson - 1 (6)

I guess you can still argue that a G at 6th overall or as the highest paid lineman in the game is silly if you want, but go do it in the mirror instead of here. The people who know football want to carry on intelligent conversation. 

Darius Leonard - 2 (36)

*Shrug*

Braden Smith - 2 (37)

*Shrug*

Kemoko Turray - 2 (52)

More missed games than career tackles. 

Tyquan Lewis - 2 (64)

Another second round pick that we just don’t get second round worthy production out of. 

Nyhiem Hines - 4 (104)

*Shrug*

Rock Ya-Sin - 2 (34)

The Rock debate rages on. Mainly because he’s wildly inconsistent, which isn’t a god trait to have in a high second round pick. 

Also, this is the point. I’ve finally began to physically shudder when I have to speak about a disappointing 2nd round pick. Let’s see if I have the will to let the flogging continue…

Ben Banogu - 2 (49)

It’s like we’re intentionally wasting this… second round pick. If he’s not good enough to see the field more than he does why in the hell did we take him with a… second round pick?

Parris Campbell - 2 (59)

Even when he’s not hurt, which isn’t actually that often, he’s still not exactly shown to be worthy of a… second round pick. (I’m shaking like Michael J Fox on a cold night here.)

Bobby Okereke - 3 (89)

He’s bloomed into a starter, but let’s just be honest with ourselves: as we sit here today can we honestly finish that statement with “and that’s a good thing”? If you’re willing to bet it is, good for you, I guess. There’s still plenty of uncertainty about that to go around. 

Khari Willis - 4 (109)

He’s bloomed into a starter, but let’s just be honest with ourselves: if you think that’s a positive you are in dire need of an eye examination. Stay off the roads. 

Michael Pittman Jr - 2 (34)

Pittman has shown some potential. Certainly much more than Campbell. It’s a wild guess what that translates to under Reich, but he definitely hasn’t been a miss. 

Jonathan Taylor - 2 (41)

A hit, but, like the others, hampered by the guy under the headset 

Julian Blackmon - 3 (85)

There’s been some rough patches, and some nice flashes. He’s young, he’s learning with opportunity, and only time will tell if he can transition to being a quality starter for this defense, or another Rock where he can either change the game, or % the bed entirely on any given play. 

Jacob Eason - 4 (122)

A healthy scratch his entire rookie year, though it was the first Covid season, and we had 40+ million invested between the starter and backup so I’m not going to harp on that. But we saw just how far this team is willing to go to keep him off the field against the Titans, and that says plenty about where we’re at with this now. 

That’s 21 players drafted in the top half of Ballard’s drafts since landing here. 

How many of those picks were just WASTED  picks? I’m gonna say 6. Wilson, Basham, Banner, Turray, Banogu, and Eason. 

How many of those picks have we gotten less than ideal production from, or are we still waiting to make a decision on? I’m gonna say 7. Hooker, Lewis, Ya-Sin, Campbell, Okereke, Willis, and Blackmon. 

We’ve gotten solid production from the remaining 8, and while some people will crow about how great that is, we’re still a team that is in bad shape when we have to employ the “next man up” mantra. 

These backup linemen have been awful. Awful. Chargers fans made fun of us when we signed Tevi, and even they didn’t know how right they were. Problem is, we really didn’t have anyone else better on hand, despite knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that we were going to need just that. 

We’ve seen a glimpse of how far they’re willing to go to make sure Eason doesn’t play yesterday, but given Wentz’ injury history and vaccination status we’ve known there was a high likelihood of needing a backup QB since Wentz got here. He had basically the entire training camp and preseason as the starter, and now they’ve stopped just short of running him out of town with pitchforks now that he may actually have to play. 

Ballard has an eye for talent. No question. 

But he’s definitely not perfect, or even above criticism. This is his team. He’s had the time and he’s built his team in his image. 

Injuries come with the territory. They happen to us at an above average rate. At some point it’s not the injuries, it’s the depth you’re turning to in those situations. 

Reich (just coaching in general) is no doubt the key issue for these Colts today. But it’s not the only issue. 

I want to see Ballard with a guy like a Shanahan, McVay, or even LeFleur (you know, the kind of guy Reich was supposed to be,) but I also wanna see Ballard stop having so many top half misses. 

6 hours ago, GoHorse1992 said:

I think the issues are mostly Reich. The play design for the personnel we have just isn’t there. As mentioned in another thread, I think we need to use our massive receivers on more 50/50 red zone plays and we need more 2 back sets.

However, lets take the Rams for example. I don’t believe they have had a first round pick in 5ish years…they stay competitive though by using those resources on blue chip proven players like Ramsey and Stanford. I am not saying the Colts need to be that extreme but it would be nice for Ballard to use trades more to get proven players rather than throw a bunch of second round picks on “potential” guys. The Buckner trade worked….why not build the roster more using that method as well?

i agree 100 percent, snead with the rams trades his picks for proven talent and it works

It is ALMOST always the GM.

Coaches all make mistakes. You name a coach, I'll take it upon myself to find you examples of his team's fans complaining bitterly about him. I'll give you a freebie. Bruce Arians? https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/11/20/bucs-bruce-arians-rated-among-the-worst-coaches-in-the-nfl/

That's from 2019. AFTER Coach Arians won COTY in Indy. There are many more pieces like that which I can find. Want one more? https://www.joebucsfan.com/2020/11/bruce-arians-offense-stinks/

That's the Super Bowl winning coach. Oh, and don't get me started on Andy Reid who got run out of the city of brotherly love :lol: 

All i'm saying is this: You find you a quarterback, suddenly everyone looks better and more competent. You don't have that guy, then we're all whinging and moaning about this and that. Even HoF Bill Belichick knows that much....he'll be lucky to finish 500 this year. 

It's the GM folks, always the GM. His #1 job is to find that piece. 

*there are exceptions like Adam Gase, plainly terrible coaches who rose to their seats by some dint of 'good ole boys club and shenanigans. And some others who would have been better off as coordinators rather than CEOs, but for the most part, if you find yourself picking at a coach for time management and all this other 'small' stuff, ask yourself....does he have a QB?

20 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Grigson and Pagano were joined at the hip, and we could never tell who was the major problem with the Colts. I hope we don't make the same mistake with Ballard and Reich. After watching Jacoby Brissett perform well for the Dolphins, I'm thinking Reich may be our key problem component - the really weird play calling, the conservative offense, the lose-don't win mentality, the injuries caused by confused schemes.

I think Reich is an exceptionally 'nice' guy. Maybe we could use someone with more fire in his belly.

Perform well? What the hell..... Brissett.  Well? Lol.... Uh. ...ok.  no TDs no wins, one pick, and a rating something like 63 over two starts.....sure.

7 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, Ballard said he wants to start with building strong in the trenches.  He's failed on both ends of the ball, particularly with DE.  The secondary is woefully inconsistent in its coverage.  That's on Reich and the DC.  Yeah, the OL is getting over the injury bug, but that's no excuse to get your QB pressured 27 times - 8 sacks, 6 hurries and 13 QB hits.  Reich and Ballard.  Wentz is running for dear life.  Then we abandon the run game when Reich and Ballard both say that they want to establish the run and take some pressure off the QB.  I mean it was clearly the best thing going for our offense yesterday and we just went away from it.

So by their own goals they''ve set for themselves, they have failed on virtually all fronts.  Don't think anyone here needs to point their finger at one being worse than the other because they are failing the expectations they've set for themselves, which is worse than a bad loss and the media/fans questioning a play call here or there.

Actually, with the level of injuries on the OL....it's absolutely an excuse for the pressure leveled on the QB.  What is it if not the main reason?  It certainly is likely the biggest contributor.

6 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not sure in the NFL circa 2021 you can build teams the traditional way--I wouldn't necessarily call the OLs of the Rams, Chargers, Bucs or 49ers all "elite" but they're definitely good enough in systems featuring good-to-great QB play and elite talent at WR, particularly with coaches as innovative as Shanahan and McVay.

Especially with the kinds of defenses those teams have built--not sure if any of them run a soft "Tampa 2" like the Colts are trying to do. I'm starting to suspect that building "in the trenches" may no longer be all it's cracked up to be, nor is a defense that tries to keep everything in front while getting very little pressure on opposing QBs.

19 hours ago, DougDew said:

The commentators in the Miami game said that Brissett said that he finally understands NFL defenses this year.  I assume Frank and Rivers has had something to do with that.

I noticed he said he finally understands the defenses this year. Sounds like he is throwing FR under the bus after working under him for 3 years and not understanding till this year under a new coach.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I would love to hear what Ballard has to say about how the season has gone so far.

We should hear from him next week. I don’t know if it will be after the dolphins game or the ravens. With the extra game not sure when the quarter up date will be.

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

I noticed he said he finally understands the defenses this year. Sounds like he is throwing FR under the bus after working under him for 3 years and not understanding till this year under a new coach.

He didn’t even play that well.

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

I fiNaLlY UnDerStAnD d-FenCeS. Hmm okay

ballards big problem is he let solid veterans walk in free agency .  houston and autry were ten sack a year guys for us and he banked on the young guys stepping up and they haven't yet .  WR is also something questionable the young guys haven't stepped up at all .   corner defensive end and wr ballard has failed so far and they are premium positions .  Now if the young guys can step up as the season goes on i will change my view .

20 hours ago, CoachLite said:

You make a good point. These are all systemic failures, and blaming people doesn't solve anything! In any system, however, there are analysis of failures and their component causes. Some of these have higher degrees of correlation. For example, there are Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and Key Failure Indicators (KFIs). It's helpful to discover what these are and how they work. Or ... we could just blame someone.

Enabling post. Frank has a QB mindset and will always abandon the run when he feels pressured. He is flawed.

11 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

ballards big problem is he let solid veterans walk in free agency .  houston and autry were ten sack a year guys for us and he banked on the young guys stepping up and they haven't yet .  WR is also something questionable the young guys haven't stepped up at all .   corner defensive end and wr ballard has failed so far and they are premium positions .  Now if the young guys can step up as the season goes on i will change my view .

I think we should have kept Autry or Houston and let the other walk. Hopefully Dayo is hungry and ready.

27 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think we should have kept Autry or Houston and let the other walk. Hopefully Dayo is hungry and ready.

Well, it does look like Dayo has been hungry.

Just kidding....I'm hoping it's the sweatshirt under the jersey that makes him look soft in the middle.

r2p54_ind_hero_odeyingbo.jpg.03fd85c17bb5f38ece389857f7979ae3.jpg

GettyImages-1233006908-818x460.jpg.2e7a47e063309f32defec936e0285047.jpg

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

JB criticized the colts and accused them of racism in now deleted tweets after parting ways. He has an axe to grind, which is ridiculous considering that he was given EVERY opportunity to succeed here. 

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Well, it does look like Dayo has been hungry.

Just kidding....I'm hoping it's the sweatshirt under the jersey that makes him look soft in the middle.

r2p54_ind_hero_odeyingbo.jpg.03fd85c17bb5f38ece389857f7979ae3.jpg

GettyImages-1233006908-818x460.jpg.2e7a47e063309f32defec936e0285047.jpg

That's the first sweatshirt I've ever seen with a belly button and love handles.

7 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I don't think Ballard's vision for whatever reason is working. It's almost like his vision for the team starts over every year. 

Reich is no Shanahan or McVay. 

I think I said that awhile ago. Except I put it like this he fixed one thing and then just let’s another position get weakened. He can’t seem to get ahead. 

I wish he would go out get a OC off one of that teams like the Rams and just turn the playcalling over.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

He actually made fun of himself the other day saying that what the last time I have been fit. Ir doesn’t reflect well on him if he is actually that fat.

21 is pretty young to let yourself go.  Amazing, considering with his injury he's probably working with a trainer daily.

As with everything in life its a bit of both, rarely is it just one element in isolation. However it's difficult for me to look at this roster and decide it isn't majority Ballard.

The way the offense has been built from the inside out provides us with almost no competitive advantages and minimal weapons. The one potential weapon we have can be nullified by stacking the box and the opposition getting infront on the scoreboard. The more we end up spending on the O-Line (and we're going to have to to justify the 'sign your own' mantra) the worse it's going to get.

As for the defense. Wow. Where to start. DE, outside corner, safety, any linebacker not named Darius.....all dumpster fires. The contract given to Stewart might actually be the worst one on a per year basis in the NFL. Nobody can get to the quarterback and there just seems to be receivers randomly running around in masses of space. Flus takes a lot of stick on here but there might not actually be a good scheme to run with these guys.

I don't want to let Reich of completely because there's been weird play calling, we don't seem to develop many players and he's part of the team building process too but looking at the roster the GM has to be answering some difficult questions about player evaluation and strategy.

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I would love to hear what Ballard has to say about how the season has gone so far.

He will say all the right things. He has handling the media down to an art. Honestly, its one of the reasons he has been built up to be something his actual results do not match.

On another note that I have seen on this thread, I dont quite understand how Reich can be blamed without it reflecting on Ballard. He is the one who hired him and his other choice,  (McDaniels) after weeks, months, years of prep (remember the "binder" Ballard had put together) was a complete weasel.

44 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I’m not done with either and am a Ballard fan but the excuse for him was AL quitting.  He now has had his choice of qb.  Paid heavy for him and we are still 0-3.  The qb is not the reason for the losses 

Carson is a risk but its not a busted plan yet. Why we are playing him injured is the real question. If this our franchise QB treat him as such. Sticking out there hobbled behind our dinged up Oline is Ludacris. Let him heal if you value his health and our season.

4 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Carson is a risk but its not a busted plan yet. Why we are playing him injured is the real question. If this our franchise QB treat him as such. Sticking out there hobbled behind our dinged up Oline is Ludacris. Let him heal if you value his health and our season.

I don't get it. Especially when you factor in the conditions of his trade. 

I get that they truly believed they could win, and that at 50% or whatever, he gave them a better chance than the other two QBs but goodness gracious, he could have been seriously hurt. 

The Titans sent the kitchen after him on the first series and when I saw Carson's 'movement' or the lack thereof plus how he flinched, i was apoplectic. The dude didnt belong out there, we were not learning anything about him yesterday under those conditions. We made this mistake under Grigson and Pagano....surely we know better.

22 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I don't get it. Especially when you factor in the conditions of his trade. 

I get that they truly believed they could win, and that at 50% or whatever, he gave them a better chance than the other two QBs but goodness gracious, he could have been seriously hurt. 

The Titans sent the kitchen after him on the first series and when I saw Carson's 'movement' or the lack thereof plus how he flinched, i was apoplectic. The dude didnt belong out there, we were not learning anything about him yesterday under those conditions. We made this mistake under Grigson and Pagano....surely we know better.

Titans were being physical and cheap to him and getting away it too.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Titans were being physical and cheap to him and getting away it too.

Think about it this way. If that were Tannehill with the injury and reported movement issues, wouldn't you want the Colts to throw the sink at him and find out?

And if he flinches, as Wentz did, and shows that he just cannot move, as Wentz showed, wouldn't you want to keep throwing blitzes at him?

I think Vrabel did the right thing. 100%

Archived