Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it Ballard or Reich?

CoachLite

Grigson and Pagano were joined at the hip, and we could never tell who was the major problem with the Colts. I hope we don't make the same mistake with Ballard and Reich. After watching Jacoby Brissett perform well for the Dolphins, I'm thinking Reich may be our key problem component - the really weird play calling, the conservative offense, the lose-don't win mentality, the injuries caused by confused schemes.

I think Reich is an exceptionally 'nice' guy. Maybe we could use someone with more fire in his belly.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

To me there doesn't appear to be a massive void in talent...it's just underperforming, and that means coaching. The offensive play calling is hideous, and that is squarely on Reich

Don't you wonder how the players we have might perform with different coaching? We can't even tell who, between Ballard and Reich, press for certain players to be drafted over others.

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

What.....execution by the players isn't one of the choices?

All share in some blame, all will also share as the team begins to win. Does everything have to be so dramatic?

You make a good point. These are all systemic failures, and blaming people doesn't solve anything! In any system, however, there are analysis of failures and their component causes. Some of these have higher degrees of correlation. For example, there are Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and Key Failure Indicators (KFIs). It's helpful to discover what these are and how they work. Or ... we could just blame someone.

26 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

To me there doesn't appear to be a massive void in talent...it's just underperforming, and that means coaching. The offensive play calling is hideous, and that is squarely on Reich

Then how would u explain on the picks on defence and no results or is that on Reich to? Reich deserves share of thr blame but Ballard always seems to skate away without blame.

It's Reich. Ballard is to blame for the LT and OL depth thats forsure. I think our WRs have waaay more talent to do more than they're doing. Its on the coach to put them in positions to succeed using their skills.

When was the last time we saw Campbell on a Jetsweep or a WR Screen? Put the ball in his hand behind or within 5 yards of the LOS and let him fly. Thats just one example.

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My main concern is the D and the OL coaches. We fired a guy over office politics, a guy who helped make us a top 5 OL....

and Eberflus’s D has so much space between defenders and receivers that I could do a u turn in a big rig in between them

Can u blame Eberflus? The D line gets no pressure. If his men play up, the receivers have  all day to get open because therw is no pressure. Plus his corners r not man corners. They r depending on the D line to get pressure. Face to the ball and all that.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Then how would u explain on the picks on defence and no results or is that on Reich to? Reich deserves share of thr blame but Ballard always seems to skate away without blame.

People do this in other businesses and industry every day. It's called Failure Mode Analysis. Businesses that don't do this, don't stay around long.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Can u blame Eberflus? The D line gets no pressure. If his men play up, the receivers have  all day to get open because therw is no pressure. Plus his corners r not man corners. They r depending on the D line to get pressure. Face to the ball and all that.

I am beginning to think it’s more Eberflus and the dline coach then players.  Our pass rush has just been so bad. How do you not know how to defend a bootleg.

Honestly at this point, I would have Brady call plays. Reich has made so many questionable play calls. We need to do something to improve the offense because defense their job today. They got two turnovers in the red zone and we didn't do anything.

27 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

What.....execution by the players isn't one of the choices?

All share in some blame, all will also share as the team begins to win. Does everything have to be so dramatic?

yep its the world we live in today.  its amazing how many Madden coaches and gms there are around here.  Simply put I think if Carson was healthy today we would have won.  Yes there are flaws but EVERY team has some. 

1 minute ago, strt182 said:

yep its the world we live in today.  its amazing how many Madden coaches and gms there are around here.  Simply put I think if Carson was healthy today we would have won.  Yes there are flaws but EVERY team has some. 

Carson probably deserves a medal for Bravery Fighting a Losing Battle. Reich and Flus played the parts of General Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum. Just my opinion, of course.

2 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Colt fans are some of those most knowledgeable fans I know when it comes to football. Minus the stupid Facebook groups. Fans aren’t as dumb as you think when it comes to the game.

19 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

People do this in other businesses and industry every day. It's called Failure Mode Analysis. Businesses that don't do this, don't stay around long.

Well Irsay just gave them big extensions  lol......So similar to Grigson and Pagano. At least those to hated each other, which added to the drama

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Colt fans are some of those most knowledgeable fans I know when it comes to football. Minus the stupid Facebook groups. Fans aren’t as dumb as you think when it comes to the game.

Where did i say they wasn't? I do AGREE BUT How do you know what I think about the colts fans? I didn't say anything of the sort but we ALL know you LOVE to put words in peoples mouths. 

The young talent has not shown up.  What good talent there is, is not in important positions (positions that generally are easiest to fill)

The team's achievement thus far has come from players like Luck, Rivers, AC, TY, Autry, Houston, Rhodes, Kelly, Nelson, Sheard.

Mainly, the stop-gap veteran players have carried the team during the Ballard years.  He has not replaced his own stop gap signings with much talent.

Frank may not be the best play caller, but the talent level this season is bad.

The commentators in the Miami game said that Brissett said that he finally understands NFL defenses this year.  I assume Frank and Rivers has had something to do with that.

If you had to blame someone, it's clearly Ballard. People like to pretend they know about play calling and what being an NFL Head Coach is about. To be honest, I don't see anything glaringly wrong with Reich other than the Red Zone stuff but I wouldn't really know how bad a job he'd specifically be doing. He's an offensive guy and we've had pretty decent offenses over the past few years, besides the Brissett year. And he seems like a nice guy the players like to play for. 

But what anyone can see is that Ballard has built a weird roster with the most talent at not very important positions, has left the skill positions to be mediocre and perennially holds on to cap space although we have said obvious weaknesses at important positions. 

I don't know. I don't think Ballard would need to go if we finish with a horrible record this season, but what's also not helping my feeling is the almost unanimous worshipping of the guy. That part of it is tiring when you factor in he has a losing record as a GM with us. 

35 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am beginning to think it’s more Eberflus and the dline coach then players.  Our pass rush has just been so bad. How do you not know how to defend a bootleg.

K.....So Ballard drafts Lewis a DE and tries to convert him to DT. He did not have great measureables to play DE in the pros, but they thought he could b quick twitch DT. Turay was injury prone in university and that has continued. Banagou played linebacker and they drafted him to play DE. Yeah, u r right. Its on the D line coach and Eberflus. They let guys like Woods and Autry go and they have played far better for their new teams than the bums he drafted. 

It starts at the top with Irsay. First it was Grigson/Pagano. Now it is Ballard/Reich. He needs to hire people with real experience. Ballard has had numerous bad picks such as Quincy Wilson, Hooker, Campbell, Turay, Lewis, Banogu and Rock. These were all very high picks. And Reich seems like a nice guy but his playcalling is just bad and he seems to be very stubborn about his decisions. So their is plenty of blame to go around starting with Irsay!

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

K.....So Ballard drafts Lewis a DE and tries to convert him to DT. He did not have great measureables to play DE in the pros, but they thought he could b quick twitch DT. Turay was injury prone in university and that has continued. Banagou played linebacker and they drafted him to play DE. Yeah, u r right. Its on the D line coach and Eberflus. They let guys like Woods and Autry go and they have played far better for their new teams than the bums he drafted. 

I think you make a good point and this doesn’t change it but I think banogu was a de that they thought would be a strong side lb because of his athleticism .  he doesn’t have the size for de and they’re stuck with him there 

After a 1-5 start in 2018, the Colts went 10-1 with Reich as HC and the following players that are no longer here:

Luck, Ebron, AC, Chester Rogers, TY Hilton, (injured now) Darius Butler, Jabaal Sheard, Autry, Al Woods, Margus Hunt.

Clearly the receiver corps and the dline has not stepped up.  Their replacements have been FIVE second rounders.  Ben, Turay, Lewis, Pittman, Campbell, (and nobody for TY) .

IMO, the disparity in talent from 2018 to the 2021 team we see on the field is glaring.

QB, TE, #1WR, LDE, RDE, NT have clearly dropped in talent.  Not sure about LT. 

All of them (except maybe NT) are playmaking positions and nearly all of them edge-ish to sideline players.

We gained a 3T, which is nice.

In the NFL, your STARS win you games.  Ballard has given Frank hardly any since 2018.

11 hours ago, strt182 said:

To be fair that goes both ways - if the Titans had a healthy Brown and Julio they would have scored more points. 

12 hours ago, Andrew_Luck said:

100% Reich.

Ballard has as much to blame... he has some flashy picks, but many never pan out, there is NO depth at any position, the defensive backfield is mediocre at best, no pass rush.  There is no consistency on this team, even play by play.  what happened to the 3 year rebuild....  time to move on, maybe from both. 

Archived